Cruising w/ Babies

Kris1114

[quote name='BullDogChief']So why are you attacking me? I'm not one of those "grown" adults who get stinking drunk and act like children (your words), nor do I appreciate them either...like I said earlier I personally do not want to hear a crying baby for 7 straight days...so what? What business is that of yours to attack me over???[/quote]

Not attacking you specifically, just using your words as one instance in this thread. Calm down sparky.

My point is that with so many people on a ship, there is always going to be someone unhappy or whatever.

I wouldnt want to listen to a crying baby all trip either, but hey, they paid their way, so be it.

[quote name='tbjl24']Not attacking you specifically, just using your words as one instance in this thread. Calm down sparky.

My point is that with so many people on a ship, there is always going to be someone unhappy or whatever.

I wouldnt want to listen to a crying baby all trip either, but hey, they paid their way, so be it.[/quote]

Ok I'll take your word for it...but I would like to suggest to OP there are cruise lines that cater to parents with young children...Disney is a good one!

[I]seriously i have been on 7 cruise's and have never seen a high chair...... but then again i wasn't seeking out looking and we always had a table very very near the door. never saw any on lido either. i have been on fantasy class ships and the celebration x2 and royal caribbean once. hey take the baby, it is nothing off my back. i am just like the one's that is saying i wouldn't do it. you are not in control of the situation like at home. you can't just hide out from the elements. i just returned from a thanksgiving church service where this stupid as dirt mother brought her sick as all get out kid that was about 8 yrs old. the little fool coughed all over the place. i eventually just got up and left. not alot to do about stuff like that on a ship. wait until you see the crowd in line catching the ship. oh heck, why am i saying all this #1 op has made up her mind , #2 or wanted to rattle everyone's cage's, #3we all wish the parents well, the half that thinks they are crazy, and the half that is begging her to do it.#4 it aint me taking care of the baby so i am letting it rest. [/I]

[quote name='BullDogChief']Ok I'll take your word for it...but I would like to suggest to OP there are cruise lines that cater to parents with young children...Disney is a good one![/quote]

You are correct. That is good advice! seriously, nothing personal!

[quote name='cruisinmeme'][I]seriously i have been on 7 cruise's and have never seen a high chair...... but then again i wasn't seeking out looking and we always had a table very very near the door. never saw any on lido either. i have been on fantasy class ships and the celebration x2 and royal caribbean once. hey take the baby, it is nothing off my back. i am just like the one's that is saying i wouldn't do it. you are not in control of the situation like at home. you can't just hide out from the elements. i just returned from a thanksgiving church service where this stupid as dirt mother brought her sick as all get out kid that was about 8 yrs old. the little fool coughed all over the place. i eventually just got up and left. not alot to do about stuff like that on a ship. wait until you see the crowd in line catching the ship. oh heck, why am i saying all this #1 op has made up her mind , #2 or wanted to rattle everyone's cage's, #3we all wish the parents well, the half that thinks they are crazy, and the half that is begging her to do it.#4 it aint me taking care of the baby so i am letting it rest. [/I][/quote]

wow you are good :D I like your post!!! :D

I've taken my young son on 2 cruises so far, but both were cruises that we sailed with other family members.

The first one he was about 11 months old. And we sailed again when he was about 22 months. We enjoyed both trips, but we were very lucky to have the family assistance.

If you're able to travel with other family to help out with babysitting occasionally, cruising with an infant is not too bad. But if it was just going to be me, my wife, and the baby, I don't know if I would have bothered.

With or without family, there are definitely downsides. As others have stated, packing can be a real headache. You have to bring so much stuff... baby food, diapers, etc... And being crammed inside a cruise cabin with for an extended amount of time with a baby, isn't the most ideal arrangement. But overall, I'd say the good outweighs the bad.

We're sailing with our son again next month (He's about 2 and half now... No family coming along to help us out this time.... but he IS finally old enough to participate in Camp Carnival, so hopefully that will give my wife and I a little break....)

[quote name='tbjl24']Its funny, I don't pay thousand of dollars to hear/watch grown adults make fools of themselves like they are children.

And I just LOVE the alarm clock I hear at 4am when the drunks are stumbling back to their cabins!

Fact is, there are 3000+ people on these cruises. Not everyone is going to have the same ideals as you. Do what you feel comfortable with.[/quote]

It never fails... LOL

Call security if someone stumbling past your cabin keeps you up all night, by all means... but what is security going to do about a crying baby?? Seriously? There is plenty that can be done about adults, but just what do they do about an unhappy baby? I've been in the cabin next door, it's not fun... and just because "they paid their money" doesn't mean that the money I paid is worth less and that my vacation should be ruined does it? You can get away from adults, you can call security, they can be removed from the ship or tossed in the brig... we are talking apples and watermelons here...

OP, I'm not saying that all babies do this... but there was one woman on here that honestly bragged about how much her baby cried during her cruise... I hope you have a great cruise, you will find great tips over on the family cruising forum. Good luck!

I think the bottom line is... if you are intolerant of other people, and your main objective is "peace and quiet", cruising is frankly not the ideal way to travel.

I personally am not the biggest fan of cruising, partly because I regularly get annoyed by so many other passengers. (Not ALL passengers, of course, but only by those who are inconsiderate.)

But on the other hand, I live in South Florida, and get great deals all the time, and its so much cheaper than other vacations for me, so I keep taking cruises despite the fact I am a bit 'cruised out'.

[quote name='rlj1010']I think the bottom line is... if you are intolerant of other people, and your main objective is "peace and quiet", cruising is frankly not the ideal way to travel.

I personally am not the biggest fan of cruising, partly because I regularly get annoyed by so many other passengers. (Not ALL passengers, of course, but only by those who are inconsiderate.)

But on the other hand, I live in South Florida, and get great deals all the time, and its so much cheaper than other vacations for me, so I keep taking cruises despite the fact I am a bit 'cruised out'.[/quote]

Oh, my idea of cruising is far from peace and quiet. and I know babies and kids cry... no problem there, but I have a very small window of sleep... sometimes betwen 5-8am, sometimes between 3-8am, sometimes 7-11am :p And hearing a baby cry during that entire time is definitely going to cause me some stress. I'm quiet when I enter my cabin... I don't make much noise while in my cabin, and I expect the same courtesty during "sleeping hours" :p If a baby is crying and can't be settled and it is during "sleeping hours" :p, a parent has to understand how thin the walls are and do something as to not disturb other guests... that may mean walking the open decks... but to allow a baby to cry for hours (and yes, it happens) is so completely disrespectful and yes, I will call security, and I will continue to call until they move the people or move me... nobody should have to deal with that...

[quote name='tbjl24']Its funny, I don't pay thousand of dollars to hear/watch grown adults make fools of themselves like they are children.

And I just LOVE the alarm clock I hear at 4am when the drunks are stumbling back to their cabins!

Fact is, there are 3000+ people on these cruises. Not everyone is going to have the same ideals as you. Do what you feel comfortable with.[/QUOTE]

Brings to mind the phrase "what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?" :p

Drunks at 4 am are a whole different thread. LOL!

FYI, I have never been awakened by drunks, kids, teens, or any other stumblers going back to their cabins. But, on my first cruise I [I]WAS[/I] awakened each and every morning by a crying baby. This thread is about babies, not drunks. No need to get defensive.......no one here is saying babies should be banned from cruise ships ([I][B]although.............[/B][/I][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"][B]just kidding[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]) ;)

To the OP,

No I don't think you are crazy. It is your money and your vacation. If you want to spend your vacation with your young one, I respect that.

However, as one who is afflicted with ABC ( Airline Baby Curse ), please try to remember that this cruise is also a vacation for all the other people around you.

We just came back from our 7 night cruise, with our 13 month old daughter. Before our cruise I was very offended by anyone who would suggest that I should leave her at home. I did everything that the boards suggested, brought the small pool (she hated it), toys, etc.

Let me tell you it was exhausting. I was chasing after her everywhere, her schedule was off and it effected everyone. trying to get through dinners was hard and often our waitstaff took her (partly to play with her because they did adore her and partly so we could eat one course in peace). If I had it to do all over again, I think I would have either booked it for 8 months earlier (so she would have been younger and I think it would have been easier on her - she wouldn't have been mobile) or 8 months later when she would have been old enough to go into the kids club. A lot of time it was Mommy running around after sissy while the boys were swimming and playing around the ship. I would never tell anyone what they should do, and I know I would have missed her terribly all week, so not taking her would not have been an option. Now looking back on it I think I would have waited.

I guess what I am really saying is that I hope the OP has a wonderful time and enjoys the trip but goes into it with wider eyes then I did.:)

I took my family including son and his gf and her 18 month old. Never again will I do anything that stupid again.

I am thinking when he gets to be 4 or 5 maybe.

I know there will be tons of my child is 2 yr old and he is platium, blah blah blah. I am glad you have prefect chldren, and I am not doubting you do. I could take my son anywhere at any age, but after the recent trip, I realize I was blessed because not all young children travel well.

[quote name='BullDogChief']You know what? You're right, I am not paying thousands of dollars to hear a crying baby for seven straight days...:rolleyes::eek:[/quote]

I did have that one cruise (Valor Oct 2007). EVERY time I was in my cabin, this baby was also in his cabin screaming (and he was three rooms down!). My neighbors were as annoyed as I was. Since there was never a time where I was in my cabin where I didn't hear screaming/crying, I have to assume the parents were not able to get out much. One thing to consider is that you might have a great baby at home in his element, but once you throw his schedule off, the baby could become a crankerton (what we call my 7 month nephew when he gets fussy). I asked my sister about this, and she said she wouldn't bring the little guy on cruise until he was potty trained.

[quote name='Kris1114']

Am I nuts? (Please say no, ha! ha!)

Kristin[/QUOTE]

Go for it! I've been cruising (and going on vacations) since I was a baby, and I thank my parents for bringing us along and not leaving us behind. It will build up your child in many ways (socially, culturally, behaviorally, etc). Like you said, start small (with a short cruise) and build from there.

From the time I was a toddler until I was 10, I had already cruised 3 times, and taken several vacations abroad. By the time I was 10, my parents were taking us on month long European vacations because we were behaved and appreciative enough to handle it. They raised us so that we would be able to do so without throwing temper-tantrums!

To those that replied that they would never travel with a baby, personally, I will travel with a baby ANY DAY before I travel with some of the obnoxious, ill-mannered, screaming, ADULTS that we sometimes come across when we travel! :rolleyes:

In the end, you need to make your own choice. No right or wrong, I believe.

A couple years back, Wife and I took a 4-day cruise without the baby (15 months), who stayed with Grandmom and Pop Pop. We missed him terribly but we needed the break. And he was fine with his Grandparents, who loved the opportunity to be with him.

Just my opinion, but go on your own and relax for a few days.

[quote name='Tapi']Go for it! I've been cruising (and going on vacations) since I was a baby, and I thank my parents for bringing us along and not leaving us behind. It will build up your child in many ways (socially, culturally, behaviorally, etc). Like you said, start small (with a short cruise) and build from there.

From the time I was a toddler until I was 10, I had already cruised 3 times, and taken several vacations abroad. By the time I was 10, my parents were taking us on month long European vacations because we were behaved and appreciative enough to handle it. They raised us so that we would be able to do so without throwing temper-tantrums!

To those that replied that they would never travel with a baby, personally, I will travel with a baby ANY DAY before I travel with some of the obnoxious, ill-mannered, screaming, ADULTS that we sometimes come across when we travel! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I am very happy for you that your parents did that...you had a better childhood than most...and you do make a good point; SOME adults do behave worse than the most obnoxious child...

[quote name='momofzeke']Brings to mind the phrase "what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?" :p

Drunks at 4 am are a whole different thread. LOL!

FYI, I have never been awakened by drunks, kids, teens, or any other stumblers going back to their cabins. But, on my first cruise I [I]WAS[/I] awakened each and every morning by a crying baby. This thread is about babies, not drunks. No need to get defensive.......no one here is saying babies should be banned from cruise ships ([I][B]although.............[/B][/I][SIZE=1][COLOR=black][B]just kidding[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]) ;)[/quote]

Not trying to turn it into a drunKs thread or anything. Just trying to make the point that with so many people on a ship, someone is bound to be upset by someone elses actions. ;)

Anyway, OP, the fact is, Carnival states babies must be 6 months old to sail. So as long your baby is 6 months old, do whatever you feel is appropriate! :D

Do what you will, it is your money, your baby and your vacation. I would also like to add that having raised three children that we traveled extensively with, I would not take a baby on a cruise. Too much hassle, too much crap to haul around, and you have no clue how she will handle it. Not to mention, is she going to remember it? Will she care? Probably not.

She would likely enjoy just as well spending time with the grandparents, being doted on and spoiled rotten :)

Others have mentioned everything from rowdy drunks at 4 a.m. to screaming children and babies ruining their vacation. My opinion on that is this: I am on my holiday. Someone wakes me while bouncing off the walls hammered out of their little minds, or a baby wakes me screaming his little head off. OK, I am on vacation. When I cannot return to sleep at that ungodly hour, I will order room service, sit on my balcony, contemplate life while I sip my liquor laced coffee and have a nap when I am tired. Vacation is just that to me. Sleep when I'm tired. Eat when I'm hungry. Don't sweat the small stuff.

[quote name='TomandIza']The nay-sayers are the ones who don't want to hear a crying baby. [/quote]

I don't recall ever reading that. Is this just your opinion? Folks are going to do whatever it is they want to do...period. Personally I don't think cruises are for kids and wish there was an adults only line (this is only my opinion) Does that mean I don't like kids? Nope...I have them and love them - but that doesn't mean I want to be around other peoples small children.

[quote name='tbjl24']Not trying to turn it into a drunKs thread or anything. Just trying to make the point that with so many people on a ship, someone is bound to be upset by someone elses actions. ;)

Anyway, OP, the fact is, Carnival states babies must be 6 months old to sail. So as long your baby is 6 months old, do whatever you feel is appropriate! :D[/quote]

You can walk down a dark alley swinging your pocket book too. Doesn't mean it is a good idea.

When I came on here asking basically the same question, I heard all the take hims too. All the talk about how they had taken their little angels and how great it was. I heard from the ones who said they had left theirs at home, but cried every day because they missed him.

He always seemed to be a happy child, So I went thinking no big deal. Well, it was a big deal. By the third day, I just wanted to jump off the ship. I apologized to the neighbors and they seemed nice about it, but I would have said no problem too if I had been the neighbor.

Yeah, there are rowdy people, but the commotion they cause is usually short lived whether dealt with by security or they find some place else to throw up. But what do you do to an irritable crying child?

[quote name='Dee777'] I would not take a baby on a cruise. Too much hassle, too much crap to haul around, and you have no clue how she will handle it. [/quote]

I agree! I have too much luggage with just me and dh I can't imagine me and dh and luggage and baby stuff [I]plus baby[/I]:p........unless you have help......I just don't think it is worth it.......I'm exhausted thinking about it.......

[quote name='Kris1114']Am I nuts? (Please say no, ha! ha!)[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're nuts. ;) But, you are the only one who can decide if you want to take your baby or not.

Several have said that they took a baby and it was great and turned out well. A couple of those had grandparents along to help.

A few have given you their not-so-great experiences with taking babies.

I will say that on our last cruise, some of our CC Roll Call friends were traveling with their son/DIL/grandson. I think he was around 10 months. He was a good little guy, but would get very tired. The grandparents helped out with him a lot, and they were dragging mid-way through the cruise. Sometimes they couldn't do things with the rest of us because they had to take care of the baby or take a nap themselves! :p

Just remember, and someone said this already.......you can't predict how your baby will be on a cruise. Their schedule is disrupted, they might get seasick, you just never know. Then again, maybe they will love it and be perfectly fine.

Good luck. :)

Archived