Mumbai - Terrorist Attacck - Many Dead

G.M.T.

Any idea where the cruiseship terminal is located in relation to the Taj Hotel and Oberoi Hotel???

Gene

Here is a link with map to show ´where the Tahitian Princess will dock in Mumbai (red dot) it is quite a way from the two hotels but fairly near the railway station Chhatrapati Shivaji.

http://****************************/hafen.php?hafen=497&date=2009-11-07&ree=21

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7751160.stm#infographic

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow as the Legend of the Sea is due to dock in Mumbai Thursday at 07:00 local time.

Ron

I really can't see it docking during all the trouble. Even if it did, I can't see how passengers can sightsee in safety, especially as BBC news was saying that those with US and British passports were being sought out as hostages:(

We are following the event very closely in Spain. The president of the regional goverment of Madrid, and one the top politicians in Spain was on the Oberoi. She survived, but in really drammatic way.

Really tragical events. I thought that if we keep away from the conflictive zones, we couldn´t suffer anything like this. After the Madrid bombings in my own country, danger is everywhere until we eliminate this thugs.

Any word if they docked in Mumbai this morning??

Any USA based cruise line that would be FOOLISH enough to dock in Mumbai for the foreseeable future sure wouldn't merit my dollars, even for a 3 days cruise to nowhere.

Let's see-terrorists went after American, British and other Westerners in hotels that attract a lot of Westerners. A USA based cruise ship would be a large target. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID if they docked (and the front page of CC states the itinerary was changed).

What has happened in Mumbai really has been awful and I have been checking in with the cruise lines on whether they will call in the city in the near future. You can read the full article here --http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=2957

I have spoken to Royal Caribbean's Public Relations spokesperson and they have informed me that Legend of the Seas will not call in the port on Sunday -- it will extend its stay in Dubai until this evening. The ship is also due to call in Goa and Cochin, but this is being monitored right now.

Also Seabourn Spirit, Azamara Quest and Oceania's Nautica are all due to call in Mumbai in early December -- I have contacted the cruise lines and as yet, they haven't cancelled the calls -- but I suspect if this continues, itinerary changes will be made.

Kelly

Kelly Ranson

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic U.K.

What has happened in Mumbai really has been awful and I have been checking in with the cruise lines on whether they will call in the city in the near future. You can read the full article here --http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=2957

I have spoken to Royal Caribbean's Public Relations spokesperson and they have informed me that Legend of the Seas will not call in the port on Sunday -- it will extend its stay in Dubai until this evening. The ship is also due to call in Goa and Cochin, but this is being monitored right now.

Also Seabourn Spirit, Azamara Quest and Oceania's Nautica are all due to call in Mumbai in early December -- I have contacted the cruise lines and as yet, they haven't cancelled the calls -- but I suspect if this continues, itinerary changes will be made.

Kelly

Kelly Ranson

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic U.K.

i think Seabourn have now cancelled Mumbai

We are booked on the Azamara Quest in May, 2009. Our final payment is due in January.

We chose this cruise for three reasons:

1. A visit to the Taj (Cochin and Mumbai stops by the ship with a ship's tour to the Taj). I have just noticed that Azamara has taken the Taj tour OFF the available tours.

2. A visit to Dubai. Unfortunately, it goes thru the Sea of Aden where all the pirates are.

3. The ship goes THRU the Suez Canal. We have been TO the Suez Canal, but not THRU it.

The trip ends in Athens, Greece (another hotspot with students currently rioting).

We are back-to-backing this cruise with a cruise on the HAL Volendam in March from Auckland to Singapore via Great Barrier Reef. Three day layover in Singapore. Board the Azamara Quest in Singapore.

We are looking at going to the Taj on our three day layover in Singapore, but with all the termoil on our Quest itinerary, we are hoping things will calm down by May, but we need to pay in January.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts:

Athens: By May things should (hopefully) have calmed down, why not leave Athens the day you disembark and go on to Istanbul, Budapest, Vienna, Munich etc before flying home. So many great places to see in Europe.

India: Mumbai is already going about it's daily business and clearing up after the attacks. We will be there in mid March. I am sure that cruise ships will return to Mumbai later this month. I have no worries about going there. I would suggest that you personally contact Azamara and ask specifically why the Taj tour is no longer available.

Gulf of Aden: Since the reported attack on the Nautica there have been at least 8 cruise ships pass through without any incident. Since Monday the naval forces in the area have a new UNO resolution which gives them much more power to defend / pursue / attack the pirates.

Doing a Taj trip during a 3 day layover in Singapore, could be cutting it a bit fine. It is best to travel light to Agra / Taj, so you would have to arrange for the rest of luggage to be looked ahter in Sinagpore. Contact Azamara and say how disappointed you are about the non Taj visit. Enjoy 3 says in Sinagpore, there is certainly enough to so.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

slotl,

I've just returned from a cruise that included Mumbai and Cochin. We were there Oct. 31-Nov. 1. One hundred pax from the ship were disappointed that they weren't able to visit the Taj Mahal due to smog problems. If your Agra plans fall through, I can highly recommend a tour operator in Mumbai. We had two marvelous days there with a private guide and driver that was inexpensive. In Cochin, the Backwater Houseboat excursion is not to be missed.

Beth

NCCruzQueen and Blu*Donau,

Thank you for your comments re my upcoming Azamara cruise.

My hubby and I booked a private tour to the Taj during our 3 day stay in Singapore. We just had an overnight in Singapore in November during our HAL Amsterdam cruise. This will be our 3rd time in Singapore. Don't get me wrong.......we LOVE SINGAPORE (especially the Maxwell Food Court in the Chinatown district), but we will have time to visit them again because our flight to New Delhi is not until late in the evening.

We made our decision for a few reasons. Azamara was asking $3,500 pp and they have removed that tour from their website. Our private tour will be half that amount of money and we will have "guaranteed" ourselves that would visit the Taj regardless of the circumstances with Azamara.

Blu*Donau, you are correct about the "excess" luggage problem in between cruises. We are each Diamond Hilton members (the highest reward category) and we are staying at a Hilton in Auckland. We are hoping that we can "call ahead" from the Auckland Hilton to the Hilton in Singapore and leave our luggage there for the few days (even though we won't have a room). I'd even pay Hilton to "hold" them.

Your idea of seeing Europe is wonderful, but we will have already been away from home for 2 months. We are booked on the Volendam Auckland to Singapore (19 day cruise plus 2 days in Auckland) then 3 days in Singapore and 24 days on the Azamara. We have cruise to Europe, Black Sea, Dalmation Coast, etc. many times. Our next cruise (after Azamara) is the HAL Prinsendam Grand Med and Black Sea cruise in March 2010 where we will re-visit many favorite places and see many new ones.

Thank you all again. Happy New Year to all!

Archived