New visa rules for usa

BRITBEAR

I have just found out by accident that as from 12 Jan 09 you will need a form called an ESTA to enter the USA .

Apply on line ,It is valid for 2 years & is admendable to cover multi trips.

From the US Customs and Border Protection web site, it looks like this only affects "nationals and citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries".

From the US Customs and Border Protection web site, it looks like this only affects "nationals and citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries".

Yes it does. I am from England & I did not want people to fall foul of the new rules especially those who fly independently as it appears very few people know of the changes.

Even more confusion...we are leaving from Australia ,

flying to Osaka Japan to board a ship to Alaska, and we obviously want to get off the ship in Alaska...and it's the US

Cruise ending in Vancouver..

and then we fly to San Fran ....THEN AUSTRALIA

the ESTA site does NOT have a section for cruise ships...

they want the place you board before entering the US..BUT only allow for planes eg..name of airline..IN DROP DOWN BOXES...no cruiselines there.

so how does that work???

I am confused, we are leaving Ft Lauderdale on 3rd Jan for a cruise and on the 12th, we will be at sea heading back into Ft Lauderdale. I cannot find out if I need to fill one in, I would hope not at $49.95 for one day. I can understand the security implications, but, if a terrorists completes one of these forms, do you think he or she will tell the truth? I am afraid it appears to be another reason for me not to travel to the US in the future, sad really because I like the US but there is more and more red tape now.

You sure you have to pay? It's free for us (I think)

I just checked the site as we have to apply and Quote Currently there is no fee to apply for a travel authorization, However, there may be an application fee in the future. There is a good "help" section there as well

I typed in ESTA into Google and got ESTA.US, who charge $49.95 for download, I cannot find an official US government link, any ideas? Forget it, found it

If you go to ESTA.CBP.DHS.GOV you can apply using this site for free & it only takes 5 mins to do it. This ESTA is the same as Australia has.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband recently completed one for our upcoming cruise (he is Irish). It was free. Beware of websites that ask for money, go directly to the ESTA Website. The part that asks you where you are going is optional. I would leave this blank as it is valid for multiple trips over a 2 year period. If you go to the help section it shows you most of the questions they ask and what is optional. Recently our cruise line's website (NCL) also added this to one of the travel documents required for foreign nationals. It is fairly simple and you get an immediate answer. All you need in front of you is your passport. You need it for any cruise ship or plane (commercial carrier) that will travel into the USA even if it is just one port, regardless of where you are traveling from.

Archived