Any point in trying to re-negotiate the cruise deal?

rannoch

We are going on a Med cruise next September from Southampton on Independence.

We booked a balcony cabin on deck 10, but it is a connecting cabin which I was not convinced about re privacy, etc.

Anyway, given the economy's state of play is it worth going back to the Travel Agent and saying - not happy with deal, please get me a better deal, or we cancel. Although I'd like to go, I'm willing to walk away.

Rannoch

We booked a balcony cabin on deck 10, but it is a connecting cabin which I was not convinced about re privacy, etc.

Anyway, given the economy's state of play is it worth going back to the Travel Agent and saying - not happy with deal, please get me a better deal, or we cancel. Although I'd like to go, I'm willing to walk away.

Rannoch

So are you not happy with your cabin or the "deal"? Why not just ask if another same category cabin is available that is not connecting?

Rannoch

Can I ask if you are from the UK? If so, you will lose your deposit if you cancel.

Have you tried asking them if there are any cabins available that you would prefer? Or you could look yourself on Royal's website.

Plus, are you aware that you can get a price drop if your cabin is for sale for less now than when you booked?

I believe you can also transfer your deposit to a different cruise (maybe someone else can confirm that)

There are plenty of things to try before you give up your deposit and "walk away".

Rannoch

TA's are not allowed to undercut RCCL's prices so unless your TA is holding group space they can not give you a "deal".

Your TA is not going to renegotiate your booking. Did you ask her prior to booking if she honours price drops? Have you checked to see if there are any price drops on your cruise?

Booking a cruise isn't like buying a car. As RCL does not allow TA's to undercut their prices your TA's hands are tied.

You can see if there is a cabin you many prefer more and transfer or you could downgrade if money is a problem for you.

Your TA is not going to renegotiate your booking. Did you ask her prior to booking if she honours price drops? Have you checked to see if there are any price drops on your cruise?

Booking a cruise isn't like buying a car. As RCL does not allow TA's to undercut their prices your TA's hands are tied.

You can see if there is a cabin you many prefer more and transfer or you could downgrade if money is a problem for you.

I believe, the way this is worded, the OP is most likely from the Island across the eastern pond and may not be under the same constraints as TAs here.

I dont know about where you are from, but you cant negotiate the price of RCL cruises here. You can maybe get a TA to throw in something like a bottle of wine or OBC, but they can't reduce the price of the cruise, unless you are part of a group cruise which I think you would already be aware of.

I believe, the way this is worded, the OP is most likely from the Island across the eastern pond and may not be under the same constraints as TAs here.

Yes, that's true - however he will lose his deposit there if he outright cancels.

As much as the rules are somewhat different over there, so are the penalties. If he felt he wanted to negotiate, he should have done that prior to booking. Now, he just may be locked in.

My question about honouring price drops is still valid.

I've been in a few connecting cabins before and to me the only difference is the placement of the furniture. There is no more noise than any other cabin we've been in, no less privacy than any other cabin we've been in.

It's kind of like staying at a hotel with connecting doors, they are locked unless you want them unlocked. The cabin attendant would have to unlock the doors at your request.

I've been in a few connecting cabins before and to me the only difference is the placement of the furniture. There is no more noise than any other cabin we've been in, no less privacy than any other cabin we've been in.

It's kind of like staying at a hotel with connecting doors, they are locked unless you want them unlocked. The cabin attendant would have to unlock the doors at your request.

I agree, a connecting cabin is not less private or secure. I wouldn't worry a second about the door on the side wall.

jc

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in the UK.

Money is not the problem. I'm not looking for a downgrade.

What I'm thinking is that had I left the booking until say now, it is possible/probable that there will have been some cancellations given the economic climate, and I might have had a better selection of cabins (nearly all gone when I booked). Royal Caribbean will want to fill the ship (better deals).

So, what I need to do is search the Royal Caribbean/TAs website to see if there are better prices/deals. If I anything found is to go to see TA (Thomas Cook).

Rannoch

Rannoch

This sounds like an ultimatum to me. :confused: If you are not happy cancel. Connecting cabins are OK, your privacy will not be an issue.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in the UK.

What I'm thinking is that had I left the booking until say now, it is possible/probable that there will have been some cancellations given the economic climate, and I might have had a better selection of cabins (nearly all gone when I booked). Royal Caribbean will want to fill the ship (better deals).

So, what I need to do is search the Royal Caribbean/TAs website to see if there are better prices/deals. If I anything found is to go to see TA (Thomas Cook).

Rannoch

You can always watch for different cabins. As for deals, those are usually close to sail date/final payment. You're probably a bit too early to see much of that just yet...you did say Sept./09?

They aren't panicing at the cruiseline just yet. If there are specials fine, but they won't give you a "special" price just because you demand it.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in the UK.

Rannoch

Yes - search the RCCL website for your sailing and check the price they are selling your category for - if it's lower you can apply for a price drop (and keep watching because there's no limit to the number of price drops you can get). However, whilst Royal will honour the lower price some UK TAs refuse to do it, so be prepared to argue!!

Having said that, Independance out of Southampton is commanding very high prices and selling quickly in the peak months so you may find that you got a good deal even in this economic climate.

You can always change cabins within your category without penalty if you aren't happy with the one you have. Just keep an eye out to see if a better one becomes available OR call RCCL now to see what cabins in that category are available.

Rannoch

Not going to help you much now but if you had booked online with that TA you would have got a discount of between 7-10%

But although you might have saved money you might have had problems if there were price drops on your sailing. A lot of UK TAs dont know much about price drops...heck some of them dont know much about cruising with RCCL,thats why I book with RCCL UK directly :D

For future reference we arent allowed to name TAs on here.

Archived