Stupid Question about Dinner Menu

newcruz

This is a stupid question but I have not cruised before and I am curious. I have seen the RCI menus and salad seems to be listed separately from the appetizers.

Does this mean that dinner is four courses (appetizer-salad-entree-dessert)?

Or is salad just another appetizer choice?

Thanks

Bob

True, though you'll probably get your seven courses in four deliveries. At least the main seating dining service seemed very carefully structured and timed to ensure that everyone was served in a timely manner, and that the dining service itself was concluded in sufficient time to ensure the dining room was ready for the late seating diners when they were promised it would be.

newcruz...first, it's not a stupid question. Sharing of information is what we do best here.

You're not restricted to just one item of each course. Some nights you may want 2 appetizers (shrimp cocktail for sure) and no salad, or 2 entree's (lobsters anyone?). Mix and match all you want, and enjoy.

12_4_61.gif 12_4_64.gif

Thanks for the info.

Acutally that's why I asked. There are many nights (having peeked at recent menus) that 2 of the appetizers sounded really good. I would like to replace one for the salad course, but didn't want to add an extra one to slow down service if there wasn't a salad course.

Bob

Nobody says "2 desserts". I need both my keylime pie and my tiramisu!

Bob....as other posters said....you can basically have anything you want. (As much of each as you want.) Years ago the menu was actually split into

1. Appetizer

2. Soup

3. Salad

4. Entree

5. Dessert

6. After dinner drinks and international cheese tray

Several years back they "combined" the soup/salad section of the menu. But hubby is from "the old school of cruising" (even though he is still very young...we started when we were just babies...lol). He still orders appetizer (how ever many he wants) and soup (maybe even 2 soups...one hot & one chilled) and salad and entree and dessert. (sometimes 2 entrees or sometimes we'll get 3 entrees for the two of us and share all 3)

Ordering 2 appetizers shouldn't slow down the service. I was on Rhapsody the last week of Oct. There were a couple of nights that two of the appetizers caught my eye. I told my waiter that I wanted X for my appetizer and Y instead of the salad. He brought my Y appetizer out when he brought the others' salads.

newcruz, it's NOT a stupid question -- I wish I'd found such a thread before our first cruise last June. On our first night, they served a wonderful scallop risotto appetizer. I could have easily made a meal of that, but didn't know enough to ask for seconds (my son tasted it and wanted it too, but again, we didn't know what the proper "protocol" was). It wasn't until our last night, when a tablemate got seconds on something, that we realized we could ask for what we wanted!

My 14-year-old son couldn't get over that there was food EVERYWHERE and that it was included in our cruise. It was a real kick. So, act like you're 14 again (and don't have to worry about your waistline like I do) and eat, eat, eat!!!

Laurie

Not a stupid question at all! I remember on our first cruise how I asked my friend if she wanted to split one of the appetizers with me. I thought it would be like a restaurant, you know, with a large serving. The waiter shoo-shooed me and said, "No, you will each have one." I remember thinking that I guess I wouldn't need an entreé. But, of course, the appetizer was portioned for one. :-) So like it has been mentioned, the number of courses is for you to decide.

Also, a cruise is a great time to experiment, if you will, with dishes you may have heard of but have never been able to try. Now I'm not advocating being wasteful or anything like that, but it's a great opportunity to experience new things.

Philip

It doesn't matter how many appetizers or how many courses they serve -- I still can't hold them all in my one stomach! Sometimes it's a bummer being a small person. I learned early on to skip the bread and stick with water . . . otherwise I can't manage dessert!

I tried the chilled banana soup this time and couldn't stomach more than a couple of spoonfuls. Just not my thing at all. Most everything else I loved though. If you have kids, have them try things they wouldn't order at home. My son loved the escargot for example. If you don't like something, your waiter will be very eager to have you try something else. Have fun with it and enjoy.

Not a stupid question at all....I was curious about this myself.

My teenage son does not like salad. So, if he wants to he can order 2 appetizers (example an appetizer and a soup) and ask for the soup to be served when the salad is normally served?

Hey, hstrybuf, how was your cruise? Should I be looking for a review, or do you do those things? Anyway, wanted to say welcome back.

Now, about the food--- on my Carnival cruises I usually had an appetizer, followed by a soup rather than a salad every night. Worked just fine. Heck, I can throw a bag of dole lettuce at my family any ole night of the week. I'm going for those yummy soups when I'm on a cruiseship! :p

Archived