Desserts, Cheesecakes

lets-cruz

I have been on 3 RCCL cruises, and I really enjoyed them all. But is there anyone else out there who thinks that the desserts aren't all that great?

I was on a transatlantic 3 years ago, and all the desserts looked fabulous, but frequently disappointed when you tasted them. (e.g. cakes on the dry side, or just not very good flavor?)

I just was on a Panama Canal cruise, and I really noticed the cutbacks on the pastry budget. At lunch, virtually no layer cakes or anything labor intensive. Lots of pound cake or sheet cake type items. I think it may be RCCL's attempt to help us eat less. ;-)

But here is my big question -- What's the deal with the cheesecakes on these ships? Have the pastry chef's never been to NY? Or the cheesecake factory? The cheesecakes seem to come in two varieties: dry or jello-like. Creamy is not an option.

Again - I want to emphasize I love RCCL, and will be back. And the desserts in Portofino are to die for. And a few items, like the flourless chocolate cake are fabulous. But I think it is so odd that the rest of the dessert items are just not all that great.

Haven't been on RCI yet, but I feel the same way about most of the desserts on the other lines I have been on. They usually look great, but are disappointing to eat. I find that this is most often the case in the buffet areas.

I have always been able to find a delicious dessert on any of the RCI ships that we have cruised on ...but each person has their own level of satisfaction. If they doubled the price of the cruise but provided New York or Cheesecake Factory quality cakes would you be willing to pay it ? :rolleyes:

I have always been able to find a delicious dessert on any of the RCI ships that we have cruised on ...but each person has their own level of satisfaction. If they doubled the price of the cruise but provided New York or Cheesecake Factory quality cakes would you be willing to pay it ? :rolleyes:

I am willing to pay more for better quality. Though I don't think it should be double the price for a few slices of cheesecake

I have been on 3 RCCL cruises, and I really enjoyed them all. But is there anyone else out there who thinks that the desserts aren't all that great?

I was on a transatlantic 3 years ago, and all the desserts looked fabulous, but frequently disappointed when you tasted them. (e.g. cakes on the dry side, or just not very good flavor?)

I just was on a Panama Canal cruise, and I really noticed the cutbacks on the pastry budget. At lunch, virtually no layer cakes or anything labor intensive. Lots of pound cake or sheet cake type items. I think it may be RCCL's attempt to help us eat less. ;-)

But here is my big question -- What's the deal with the cheesecakes on these ships? Have the pastry chef's never been to NY? Or the cheesecake factory? The cheesecakes seem to come in two varieties: dry or jello-like. Creamy is not an option.

Again - I want to emphasize I love RCCL, and will be back. And the desserts in Portofino are to die for. And a few items, like the flourless chocolate cake are fabulous. But I think it is so odd that the rest of the dessert items are just not all that great.

I have to agree with you on this. We just got back from the Mariner a couple of weeks ago and I felt the desserts were worse then last year when we were on the Explorer. Specifically the Dulce de Leche cheesecake which was fabulous last year was spongy this year. Several nights our table would have berries and ice cream or cookies or the fruit that was for an appetizer since nothing was at all appealing. I will say though that the dinner food was a little better then last yeat though. We have had 4 cruise on RCCL and I will agree that the desserts have gone down each and every one. Not a nice way to remember a nice dinner evening with a lousy dessert. Also they tout that they are all fresh made everyday, but I have had some frozen desserts that have been thawed her at home that taste way better. Maybe they need a new pastry chef.

I think ultimately it depends where the baking crew is from and how well they can cook towards American and European taste. Last cruise the head chef was from India and the food was not on par with past cruises where the head chef had a better idea of the American and European palet.

Frankly if the food were edible but not over the top great I may eat less and not think afterwards wow how I ate too much...:eek:

It seems to me that most of the cakes, pies, and tarts, especially in the windjammer, have a nice toping but their core is a gelatin that has no taste and an unpleasing consistancy. I've learned to pretty much ignore how things "look" and instead tap the plate to see if it wobbles ... then stick with the cookies. :)

Archived