Jet Skiing- Coco Cay vs Nassau?

jb008

Hi Folks! I'm trying to decide between two different options for jet skiing on a short cruise with RCI later this month. I'm posting here in the RCI forums specifically because we're going to be on Monarch, and it's a decision between jetskiing in Coco Cay, and Nassau.

From what I've found on other posts and web searches, jet skis in Nassau run around ~$40-45/half hour? Whereas the Coco Cay ~hour tour is $95/hr. Does anyone have experience with one or both of these options and have some suggestions or advice?

Also, we weren't planning on hitting a beach as part of a specific excursion in Nassau. Is there a beach within walking distance from the cruise pier, or will it require a taxi to get to a spot that would have jet skiing?

Thanks for the info everyone.

I went on the jet ski excursion on Coco Cay a few years ago. From what I hear, it is still mostly the same now.

If I were more of an experienced jet skier- this would have been awesome! Since I wasn't, it was a bit scary. This jet ski excursion was set up sort of like a tour where everyone "follows the leader" to stop at different sites around the island and outlying islands. Some of the sites that I remember were Starfish Alley where there were plentiful starfish underneath us, a private island that some drug dealer owned that the movie "Blow" was based off of. The stops were really neat. IMO the scary part was trying to keep up with the rest of the crowd! The guide had the more experienced drivers in the front of the line and the less experienced towards the back with instructors in the front and back of the line. My friends and I were in the back as we were inexperienced. The drivers in front of us were weaving around creating wakes that we had to try to follow or fly over. I'm sure most people who book this type of excursion would find that fun, but it freaked me out! Especially since the guide made it very clear to stay in the line since there were shallow rocks around that could be dangerous.

All in all, this was a pretty thrilling excursion! If I weren't a scaredy-cat, I would go again. I've done other jet-skiing rides where you just drive around for an hour in a set area, and that gets kind of boring. The Coco Cay jet skiing trip was a lot of fun because it was different! IMO the extra money is worth it.

The difference is that the Cococay waverunners are an actual "tour" - where you ride to various points of interest... and get to go flat out fast in between - or hold up the rear and take your time if you are less comfortable. It's an absolute blast. I just did it a few weeks ago and did the same thing in Labadee a few years back. I would sign up for it again.

The nassau thing sounds like you just rent the jet skis and ride along the beach. Certainly could be fun, but a very different experience. I would go enjoy Atlantis in Nassau personally.

I went on the jet ski excursion on Coco Cay a few years ago. From what I hear, it is still mostly the same now.

If I were more of an experienced jet skier- this would have been awesome! Since I wasn't, it was a bit scary. This jet ski excursion was set up sort of like a tour where everyone "follows the leader" to stop at different sites around the island and outlying islands. Some of the sites that I remember were Starfish Alley where there were plentiful starfish underneath us, a private island that some drug dealer owned that the movie "Blow" was based off of. The stops were really neat. IMO the scary part was trying to keep up with the rest of the crowd! The guide had the more experienced drivers in the front of the line and the less experienced towards the back with instructors in the front and back of the line. My friends and I were in the back as we were inexperienced. The drivers in front of us were weaving around creating wakes that we had to try to follow or fly over. I'm sure most people who book this type of excursion would find that fun, but it freaked me out! Especially since the guide made it very clear to stay in the line since there were shallow rocks around that could be dangerous.

All in all, this was a pretty thrilling excursion! If I weren't a scaredy-cat, I would go again. I've done other jet-skiing rides where you just drive around for an hour in a set area, and that gets kind of boring. The Coco Cay jet skiing trip was a lot of fun because it was different! IMO the extra money is worth it.

Ditto....the day we did it the water was pretty rough but we had a GREAT time!

Thanks for the inside scoop folks. We've decided we're going to go for the jet ski excursion in Coco Cay, and do an AM excursion, and self-guided walking tour in Nassau.

Thanks again all!

If you stick with this plan, there is an amazing thread over on the Bahamas board with photos that we used planning our trip last year.

It is here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=332656 if you are interested.

I also heard from some that there are more and less reputable vendors on the jet skis and some aren't maintained well. I would recommend going over to the Bahamas board and asking for recommendations if you want to do a jet ski in Nassau.

Even thought the one at Coco Cay is follow the leader, if you want to go fast you just have to ask to be up front. The water is calmer in Coco Cay and they explain a few sites when they stop. The machines are well cared for and work properly and RCI really cares for your safety and make you watch a safety video first.

When in Nassau - We rented a few machines by the Sheraton. ( it may be different now ) Its by the public park area. Anyway, the machine I had was a hunk of junk. The handle bars were loose and I stopped by my wife to see if she was ok since the waves were rough on here hands and arms and my machine never started back up....I had to be towed in and they only gave me 10 extra minutes when this process took like 20 - 25. No safety talk...heres how to start and stop it...come back at ____.

I have done both and agree with previous posters that the two are different. If you want to go off on your own, go with Nassau. There is a nice beach near Atlantis that has good quality machines. If you want a tour with a guide, you should do it at Coco Cay. You will need to stay with the group.

One other thing. Jet Skiing on cococay is more expensive then Nassau.

Have a great time.

• 1 year later...

We are thinking of taking the jet ski tour in Coco Cay and since we have never been on one I'm wondering if we'll be able to keep up with the tour as I probably won't want to go to fast right away.

Archived