What's the deal with teaspoons?

MB Cruiser

I searched and couldn't find the answer to this one, but I KNOW somebody in Cruise Critic Land knows. We were on Star in early December (first NCL cruise in over 25 years) and nowhere on the ship was there a teaspoon. Big cereal spoons, soup spoons, small spoons with coffee but nary a teaspoon anywhere. I finally asked a server in Versailles the final evening and she shrugged and said "NCL standard." Not really an answer but all I got. So who knows the answer? What's NCL got against teaspoons?

I searched and couldn't find the answer to this one, but I KNOW somebody in Cruise Critic Land knows. We were on Star in early December (first NCL cruise in over 25 years) and nowhere on the ship was there a teaspoon. Big cereal spoons, soup spoons, small spoons with coffee but nary a teaspoon anywhere. I finally asked a server in Versailles the final evening and she shrugged and said "NCL standard." Not really an answer but all I got. So who knows the answer? What's NCL got against teaspoons?

Maybe they all got drunk and jumped overboard.

DON

We just recently sailed on the Sky and only in the dining rooms could you find a tea spoon. I didnt ask why but It was annoying using a tablespoon for soup and desert in the Buffet.

You use a teaspoon for soup?....:D

I don't think ive ever seen or heard of someone doing that. Just an observation :D

There classified as a weapon lol.

Speaking of silverwear

Before our first cruise my Derfette was obsessing about witch silverware she was supposed to use in the dining room. And using to wrong ones.

I have always been told you start from the outside and work your way into your plate as far as knowing which ones to use at what time. But honestly, unless we are at a VERY formal dining event, I could careless. I believe what is most important is for you and those around you to be comfortable and not feel "out of place" when dining. Maybe that is my Southern roots, but my Mother used to always tell me our guests comfort is paramount when entertaining.

same thing on the Spirit the same week, strange huh??? Maybe they hired the same handy man we had in New Mexico that stole most of our every day silver (spoons the most) LOL

Nita

My teaspoons are the first to disappear in my house. I have to buy two sets of flatware to make sure I don't run out. I am not really sure where they go, but it must be with my missing socks. Maybe too many went missing aand they decided a spoon is a spoon and let's use the big ones. Nobody wants them!:D

My teaspoons are the first to disappear in my house. I have to buy two sets of flatware to make sure I don't run out. I am not really sure where they go, but it must be with my missing socks. Maybe too many went missing aand they decided a spoon is a spoon and let's use the big ones. Nobody wants them!:D

Maybe teaspoons are like fruitcakes.

There are only so many of them floating around just being passed from person to person. :p

Don't know if this is the reason, but I used to work for an importer of European silverware, and there is no teaspoon in the Continental style of eating. Just a large soup spoon, a round bouillon spoon (for clear soups), a dessert spoon (smaller than the soup spoon, for liquidy desserts like puddings), a coffee spoon (smaller than a teaspoon) and a demi-tasse spoon. Maybe NCL's flatware supplier only offers the Continental range.

Or .... I wonder if the Star had teaspoons at one time, but they were the favored item for "souvenir"-takers, as OhioNCLcruiser seems to be suggesting.

I just got off the Spirit and this bugged me to no end! I think they launder 3 x as many napkins, forks and knives as they need to because people open them uplooking for spoons. Silly, silly and tacky! No regular spoons to be had - SOUP SPOONS to eat dessert and even those are few and far between.

Another big gnat bite was the lousy, lousy, lousy coffee. Worse than McDonald's used to be.

Actually found the lack of napkins (by themselves) at Blue Lagoon to be sort of comical. Eating chicken wings and the only way to get a napkin is to also get a fork and knife (but no spoon - lol).

Note to self

Pack Napkins, Silverwear

Archived