Park west

nagster

I like going to the art autions for the free champagne, actually that might explain why I purchased some art this time, I got pretty tipsy:o Anyway I ended up buying three pieces that I love and got a large print free that I like also. These are pieces that I could absolutely imagine in my home, ohh I just love em. So tell me what is up with Park West, is it legit? Why are the prices so much cheaper on the cruise, what is the business model and why Carnival.

It's as 'legit' an operation as anything at sea in international waters....... you'll find Park West on most cruise lines. The bottom line IMO is that if you buy something that you are really happy with and paid a reasonable price for, then it's been worthwhile.

Personally I wouldn't purchase anything on board because I'd always want a second or third check on whether I really wanted it. You answered your own question about legitimacy - it seems the art auction always goes hand in hand with glasses of 'champagne'...... hmmmmm, I wonder why??

As to prices, that's a different issue. I'm not sure what you are comparing against - I'd be doing some serious research as to whether the bumped up auction prices on board are cheaper than on shore.

My problem is getting them home. Have enough to manage luggage without a painting. If you get one that is unframed, the frames are very expensive to custom make too. I worked for a outfit that sold prints. The frames can really add up. I have too much art luckily to be tempted onboard.

I like going to the art autions for the free champagne, actually that might explain why I purchased some art this time, I got pretty tipsy:o Anyway I ended up buying three pieces that I love and got a large print free that I like also. These are pieces that I could absolutely imagine in my home, ohh I just love em. So tell me what is up with Park West, is it legit? Why are the prices so much cheaper on the cruise, what is the business model and why Carnival.

If you are buying art because you like it then there is nothing wrong with buying on the ship. If you are buying for an investment you need to make sure that you know exactly what you are doing and how to evaluate a piece of art before you buy it anywhere.

Most things that are sold on the ship are prints that are not expensive to reproduce. The real cost is in the frame.

As long as you got what you wanted, liked it, were happy with the price and did not buy as an investment you did great.

I've never bought any of the art on board...but I was under the impression that they shipped you...the stuff that you bought. Unless...you just bought something really small...otherwise...they ship it all to you. Don't think it would work at all if you were trying to juggle a wall sized framed picture along with 5 bags, trying to get into a taxi, and then jump on a plane!!!

I've never bought any of the art on board...but I was under the impression that they shipped you...the stuff that you bought. Unless...you just bought something really small...otherwise...they ship it all to you. Don't think it would work at all if you were trying to juggle a wall sized framed picture along with 5 bags, trying to get into a taxi, and then jump on a plane!!!

Some of the art work is shipped and some are "take off". If you look at the piece and it has a "T/O" sticker on it that means you have to take it off of the ship because it is the last one they have in stock. If you are unsure, just ask one of the reps and they will tell you whether or not it is a shipped piece or a take off.

They were shipped to us, the frame for the first one wasn't too bad. We will frame them as funds become available as we know that it can be pricey. I love the idea of buying what I like then framing it as I like, then hanging it in my house. I don't think they were to pricey (obviously add the framing then yes) like something at Kirlands but I am able to choose/customize frames. For ex one of the prints I found was way pricier on ebay or other online availability, and I checked aprox 6 or 7 sites to get a good average. I have no idea about this kind of stuff, I guess I just liked the pics they are pretty. I absolutely loved picking the matting and frames.

We bought a couple prints and they make nice mementos of our trip; we buy what we like if the price is reasonable and buy for enjoyment, not the investment. We did get a great deal on one, it included the frame. Luckily it fit thru the scanner by an inch or I would have had to check it in yikes:eek:

• 2 years later...

Park West's business model is simple:

They get artists whose work isn't collected by any museum or serious collector to mass-produce stuff. This "art" has virtually no commercial value.

Then they talk the art up throughout the cruise, convincing passengers who know nothing about the art market that they're getting great deals.

Think about it: have you ever seen work by any of those artists in a museum? Or sold by a REAL auction house? Of course not: it's junk!

(By the way, I am an expert in art connoisseurship, so I know what I'm speaking about)

They get artists whose work isn't collected by any museum or serious collector to mass-produce stuff. This "art" has virtually no commercial value.

Then they talk the art up throughout the cruise, convincing passengers who know nothing about the art market that they're getting great deals.

Think about it: have you ever seen work by any of those artists in a museum? Or sold by a REAL auction house? Of course not: it's junk!

(By the way, I am an expert in art connoisseurship, so I know what I'm speaking about)

Park West has been sued many times for selling overpriced and in many cases fraudulent art. There is a case now where they sold a Dali set for half a million to an unsuspecting couple with forged signatures. A real set with genuine signatures just sold at a reputable auction house for a little over $100K.

They have been kicked off Royal Caribbean and some other cruise lines

I hope you are better at "art connoisseurship" than you are with your computer skills......

We go for the libations.... :) That being said, we have also bought one print by a "no name" - it's a couch size print (large) and framed and delivered, it was $300 and the cruise was our wedding/honeymoon. I was happy with that. GREAT memory! Not as good as the dinky 8"x11" painting from some local on site in Ocho Rios where we got married, but... it is a great memory.

Park West did introduce us to Peter Max. We love him - never knew who he was but we saw his funky stuff and liked it. The auctioneer was able to introduce us to some of his stuff and answer some questions and has lit our Max fire. We haven't gotten an actual Max yet - some are affordable, some are not. We've been to other auctions with his stuff for very similar prices to what Park West had....

I'm not going to drop heavy money on a painting or print that I can't research and price compare while on a ship.

As others have said - art is about enjoyment - if you buy something you enjoy at a price you are happy with - no big deal. But I don't think you're going to find an investment quality item on a cruise ship at a price that's at or below market - if at all.

Archived