NYC locals or frequents

Hi,

Actually, a local is probably the worst person to ask since we don't stay in hotels here. :D

That said, the Affinia - if you're speaking of the one that's on 34th Street between 3rd and Lexington Ave - (you don't tell us) has a great reputation. I live just a few blocks from it, and many people who live in my area have friends or family that stay there so that they're close to one another. It's an all suite hotel, and people that stay there like it.

The Beacon - if you're speaking of the one on 75th and Broadway (again, you're not too forthcoming w/ the details) is in a neighborhood that I personally think is kind of inconvenient. The upper west side is convenient if you're planning on spending alot of time in that neighborhood or every night at a Broadway show. I think it's kind of a pain to get around the city from there.

If you're going to be going all around the city, based on location, I'd select the Affinia over the Beacon. (if i'm talking about the same hotels you are) But I can't comment on either in terms of the rooms or the service since I've never stayed in either.

The Affina Manhattan is 31st Street and 7th Ave and it is an all suite non smoking hotel.

Sounds like it has fire and police stations right behind it, but lots of fun stuff within walking distance..

The Beacon is Broadway and 75th so much further from the action and more residential if reviews are to be believed. Both have recently had renovations.

The toss up for me is the price at this point.. oh and I would prefer quiet which I know is not what NYC is about. I can deal with it for 4 nights just need a white noise machine.

So right about asking locals. I am in San Diego and have stayed at very few local hotels..

7th Ave and 31st Street is kind of a "nothing" area. There's really not much around there to see, or eat.

I don't know what prices you're being quoted, but if it's a better deal than anyone else is offering, and you like the looks of the hotel itself then stay there, and just know that you're in a very nondescript area. It used to be the fur district, but we don't have much of that anymore.

Did you get a price quote on the Affinia on E. 34th Street? It's a nice hotel and the area is much more convenient, and nicer.

I would go for the Affina for a couple reasons. Most of the Affinas are converted apartment buildings so the rooms are much larger than most and some have kitchenettes.

Secondly, I like being downtown and the Affina is a short walk so some of my favorite neighborhoods.

Thanks for all the opinions..

I have been looking at some of the reviews of this particular Affinia. It says it is very close to ESB, Macys and a 10 min walk to Times Sq..The hop on/off stop is right there. We will be there in Sept and got a studio rate at $149 per night which seems really good. The Beacon would be 280 per night.

Since we are staying 4 nights we want to be sure we get it right. There are at least 10 other rooms needed for others in my group so I did check several converted apts but the rates were not that great..

Again I appreicate all the pros and cons about the hotel and the area where each of these places are located.

The location is just fine. You are right at Penn Station and a quick walk to many tourist destinations. There is lots of "pick up" shopping in Penn Station along the many concourses - drug stores, book stores, fast food, snacks, etc. You won't have to hunt around for that stuff.

Re: The Affina. I have a Dr. in that location. I am pretty sure the hospital is NYU, so there are plenty of little delis and cheaper eats in the area also. The walk from the Eastside to the Westside has long blocks, but is very doable. If any in your party has mobility issues look into the cross-town bus.

Thanks for all the opinions..

I have been looking at some of the reviews of this particular Affinia. It says it is very close to ESB, Macys and a 10 min walk to Times Sq..The hop on/off stop is right there. We will be there in Sept and got a studio rate at $149 per night which seems really good. The Beacon would be 280 per night.

Since we are staying 4 nights we want to be sure we get it right. There are at least 10 other rooms needed for others in my group so I did check several converted apts but the rates were not that great..

Again I appreicate all the pros and cons about the hotel and the area where each of these places are located.

At $149. a night, I'd say take it.

Yes, it's a short walk to ESB and Macy's.

To give you an idea of how much things have changed here: from 1975-78 I lived in a one-bedroom suite (#2001) in the Hotel Beacon for $300 per MONTH. It cost $35 extra in the summer months when I ran my own personal air-conditioner in the bedroon, which also cost $5 to be installed and another $5 to be removed by the hotel's maintenance staff each year.

To give you an idea of how much things have changed here: from 1975-78 I lived in a one-bedroom suite (#2001) in the Hotel Beacon for $300 per MONTH. It cost $35 extra in the summer months when I ran my own personal air-conditioner in the bedroon, which also cost $5 to be installed and another $5 to be removed by the hotel's maintenance staff each year.

and gasoline was 50 cents a gallon....times change...

It is an interesting compairson so thanks for sharing..

I work across the street and have stayed at the Affinia, it's a real nice hotel. There are a bunch of restaurant/bars in the area, as well as Macy's, Empire State Building and Penn Station.

If the price was right, i'd recommend to anyone who asked.

I work across the street and have stayed at the Affinia, it's a real nice hotel. There are a bunch of restaurant/bars in the area, as well as Macy's, Empire State Building and Penn Station.

If the price was right, i'd recommend to anyone who asked.

Thanks for the info.. The price was right at $149. a night in Sept.. There are 5 rooms of us that did manage to get the computer glitch that allowed that rate. Now just hope they honor it. I suppose if we all show up like a little army with our confirmation sheets, they will have a hard time telling us no..

What site did you use to get that rate? EVerything that I looked at for October was over 300.00 - mostly 500.00 range.

I was lucky enough to have a friend pass along a "special" that was running online. There was some sort of glitch in their system as the special was only until March 09. The system took my reservation for Sept so I spread the word to others in my group. Most that went online that night got the special rate, by morning however, that rate was long gone. Now hope they accept the rate (have all the confirmations printed) once we get there.

I believe they offer AARP and AAA rates that give a little off.

I was lucky enough to have a friend pass along a "special" that was running online. There was some sort of glitch in their system as the special was only until March 09. The system took my reservation for Sept so I spread the word to others in my group. Most that went online that night got the special rate, by morning however, that rate was long gone. Now hope they accept the rate (have all the confirmations printed) once we get there.

I believe they offer AARP and AAA rates that give a little off.

I would call and make sure they honor that rate. $149 per night is a steal for a hotel room in Manhattan in the fall especially for a studio.

I have a feeling they will honor the rate because it isn't some insane $14.90 rate but I would double check.

Archived