Menu tip for frist time cruisers

cruisinCLT

They have late night grille? The grille on the Spirit closed every night around 5 or 6pm.

sometimes the grill will close during dinner hours and open back up til about 11pm. Not everything is opened all the time- buffets close between 2:30 til 4:30 and the grill is running non stop til then-

Are there really that many people that are intimidated by the menus? I don't find them the least bit exotic or unusual. I can't think of anything I hadn't seen on menus in restaurants. You want to talk exotic, I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago that actually has emu and lion on their menus. No, I didn't order either one, but those are truly exotic. LOL

I don't eat vegetarian meals but tried them on the ship. Never had a cold soup but tried them too.

I believe the OP was responding to another post that said they try something new each cruise so that they learn if they like the item or not..what Kristie (OP) was saying is "that was her plan also" as she knew she wouldn't have to pay for it...she didn't like going to a restaurant and ordering something new..not liking it and then having to pay since they were both back in school and money is tight...OP correct me if I'm wrong..

Even when I go to a restaurant, if I don't like something, I won't pay for it. Almost every restaurant I've been to is accommodating to your requests/complaints. Either I order something else, or the meal is removed from the bill. This does not occur because of my insistence, but merely the willingness for the restaurant management to please the customer.

If you don't like something, speak up! I've learned to not be shy about these types of things ESPECIALLY when money is tight.

Also while on this topic..we are taking 2 picky and I do mean PICKY 16 yr olds with us in Oct...does anyone know if the kids menu has an age cap? I'd like to get them to try different things with the understanding if they didn't like it there was always PIZZA later..just hate to think of them living on pizza for a week..

I've never been on Carnival , so I can't answer with 100% certainty, but earlier in the thread someone mentioned that adults can order off of the kids menu.

Also there is a kids menu and you as an adult can order anything off that menu.

Also, I don't know if this is helpful for your particular 16 year olds, but there are also the chicken, burger and steak alternative options offered for dinner every night.

And...if they do live on pizza, at least they're getting the best pizza on the seas! (So I've heard.) :)

He suggested that we order a soup each night and pass it around to share.

I don't know why I haven't thought of that! Duh! I've been looking over some menus, but my eyes tend to be bigger than my stomach, and there are so many dishes on the ship I want to try! So yes! DH and I can share (unless of course the dish is just too good...and then we could just order another)!!

(oh yeah, the buffet is great too!)

My only complaint about the menu on the cruise is not a complaint for Carnival... it's how spoiled I get all week ordering anything and as much as I want to from the menu- without seeing any prices... because that first sit down meal off the ship tends to give me sticker shock again! What, I have to PAY?! LOL

(oh yeah, the buffet is great too!)

My only complaint about the menu on the cruise is not a complaint for Carnival... it's how spoiled I get all week ordering anything and as much as I want to from the menu- without seeing any prices... because that first sit down meal off the ship tends to give me sticker shock again! What, I have to PAY?! LOL

I'm gonna see this first hand, as the night I return from my cruise I'll be at Disney World, I am taking a friend of mine out for dinner there, and he's giving me a place to stay that night!

I've seen many threads about people (mostly men for some reason) who are so picky they'll only eat hamburgers or pizza and french fries that say anyone can order off the kids menu. Why would they care? Food is included in your cruise price so it's no skin off their teeth if someone would rather eat off the kids menu. Although, I do have to say, 16 year olds need to branch out some.

We ordered the fruit and cheese plate as a pre-appetizer to enjoy with our wine (which we had pre-ordered the first night for every night of the cruise). Our waiters would have the fruit and cheese plate and our wine waiting for us each night. After we did this, we saw other tables ordering the fruit and cheese plate near us. It really goes well with the wine!

Even when I go to a restaurant, if I don't like something, I won't pay for it. Almost every restaurant I've been to is accommodating to your requests/complaints. Either I order something else, or the meal is removed from the bill. This does not occur because of my insistence, but merely the willingness for the restaurant management to please the customer.

If you don't like something, speak up! I've learned to not be shy about these types of things ESPECIALLY when money is tight.

If you are served a dish that is badly prepared, or is not cooked as you ordered, you certainly should not pay for it. If you order something to try for the first time, like it or not, YOU SHOULD PAY! You are at a restaurant, not at your personal food lab. Yes, if you complain, they will take it of the check. But as a responsible adult, it was your experiment, not the restaurants. You should not complain just because it did not suit your tastes and you should chalk your COST up to experience.

Dan

Our family LUVS seafood.............my husband told our waiter the first night to keep it coming.........shrimp cocktails, crab cakes, escargot. whatever was a seafood dish on the appetizer, he had two or three of them. We all had salad and our main dish. A couple of nights I had two main dishes........made my own surf and turf combos.......by the time dessert came out, we were so stuffed we had no room for dessert.

we had learned on our previous cruise to have dessert first.....what we did was go to the buffet around 4-5 pm. Hubby and I would ave the warm choc melting cake or creme brulet with a cup of tea or coffee. and usually have seconds. My daughters would have salad, then around 6-7 my daughters would go to the sushi bar and have some sushi. We had the 8pm seating, so by 8 pm we were ready for dinner. skip dessert cuz we had it before dinner.......only on a cruise could you do this, not in real life ! ! ! ! ! Then we would go to a show after dinner, by 11-12 midnight we would go up to the buffet for a snack.........another warm choc melting cake if there were any left ! ! ! ! !! or we would go to the deli and get a hot pastrami w/cheese YUMMO.............

Bottom line is........... try everything, don't be shy, don't be afraid to ask. Your wish is their command.............

dondon55

Foxboro MA:D

We ordered the fruit and cheese plate as a pre-appetizer to enjoy with our wine (which we had pre-ordered the first night for every night of the cruise). Our waiters would have the fruit and cheese plate and our wine waiting for us each night. After we did this, we saw other tables ordering the fruit and cheese plate near us. It really goes well with the wine!

Yum! I don't recall seeing a fruit & cheese plate. Is it on the menu, or did you just ask for one? What types of cheese & fruits? Sounds like a great choice for us! Thanks...

Bitter & Blanc is my favorite. Even beats the choc melting cake.

This website describes the desserts:

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Dinner_Desserts

Bitter and Blanc

Warm Dark and White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

YUM! Not like any bread pudding I've ever had. They pour the warm sauce over the top and push it down into the center when serving it to you. Can't wait.

I raved about the bitter and blanc last cruise to our tablemates.

So, they ordered it too.

When it came it was overcooked and all dried out. Basically yuck.

They thought that I was crazy.

My DD, 25, loves macaroni and cheese and asked the waiter about it.

The next night he brought her a lovely bowl of mac and cheese, plus a coloring book and crayons.:D

Also while on this topic..we are taking 2 picky and I do mean PICKY 16 yr olds with us in Oct...does anyone know if the kids menu has an age cap? I'd like to get them to try different things with the understanding if they didn't like it there was always PIZZA later..just hate to think of them living on pizza for a week..

That can be difficult, but 16 is not too young to begin eating like an adult. They can't take that behavior into adulthood. ;)

That can be difficult, but 16 is not too young to begin eating like an adult. They can't take that behavior into adulthood. ;)

Sure they can! I know 40 year old men who practically live on pizza. Encourage them to try something new everynight, but don't stress about it. It's their vacation too!:) And yours! Don't worry, be happy!

Sure they can! I know 40 year old men who practically live on pizza. Encourage them to try something new everynight, but don't stress about it. It's their vacation too!:) And yours! Don't worry, be happy!

I agree to not stress about it, but 40 year old men who "live on pizza" limit themselves socially and professionally. The eternal child isn't a good role. :p

I agree to not stress about it, but 40 year old men who "live on pizza" limit themselves socially and professionally. The eternal child isn't a good role. :p

So I should tell my 47 year old BF, who is a college graduate, runs his own company, travels all over the world diving, spends weeks at a time in Bonnaire, has a Harley, $50K camaro and a Mercedes in the garage, but is happy with pizza several times a week that he is limited and not a good role model?

Presumably he eats other things as well. If he voluntarily eats nothing else, then yes, he is limited. I can't imagine what his vehicles would have to do with it, though. I'm just sorry to see so many kids these days "rule the roost" in terms of what they will and won't eat.

Presumably he eats other things as well. If he voluntarily eats nothing else, then yes, he is limited. I can't imagine what his vehicles would have to do with it, though. I'm just sorry to see so many kids these days "rule the roost" in terms of what they will and won't eat.

Not trying to be mean. I was making a point that he isn't limited socially, professionally or any way at all.

When my kids were picky (and yes, I admit quite younger than 16) the pediatrician told me not to sweat it as long as they were eating something and healthy.

Sorry for hijacking everyone!:)

So I should tell my 47 year old BF, who is a college graduate, runs his own company, travels all over the world diving, spends weeks at a time in Bonnaire, has a Harley, $50K camaro and a Mercedes in the garage, but is happy with pizza several times a week that he is limited and not a good role model?

Just take out a large life insurance policy on him ASAP. Pizza has large quantities of things that hate his heart and its arteries. BEEN there, DONE that.

Dan

Archived