Menu tip for frist time cruisers

cruisinCLT

Hello to all you new cruisers.......I just was sitting here thinking about all the yummy food in the diningroom and I wanted to give you a tip. Don't be discourgaged by the name of a dish.......actually read the fine print under it because it could end up being something you really enjoy and you don't try it because you can't pronouce the name of the dish!

Nice thread cruisinCLT, but I think you are speaking down to 1st time cruisers, like they live in the remote mountains of America and have never seen a restaurant menu. I know you intentions are good but.......... If I were a 1st time cruiser I would be insulted. Just my opinion, Kaboochi

I went on a cruise a couple years ago and had a dessert i loved and now i cannot remember the name of it. It was similar to chocolate melting cake but was vanilla or white. I believe the name had the word blanc in it. It was delicious!

I went on a cruise a couple years ago and had a dessert i loved and now i cannot remember the name of it. It was similar to chocolate melting cake but was vanilla or white. I believe the name had the word blanc in it. It was delicious!

Bitter and Blanc

We've been on 17 Cruises and I really enjoy threads like this as I can still learn something new! :D We've been seated with a number of first timers over the past couple of years and I find most are afraid to ask questions as they don't want to look "stupid". :o So let's keep this going and if just one newbie gains something from it...it's well worth it! :) We jsut LOVED the Flatiron Steak in the diningroom on our last Cruise no need of a knife you could cut it with your fork! We're hoping it's as good on our next Cruise! ;) DH and are are not afraid to share it's how we've both discovered things we thought we'd really dislike! And I still try at least one new thing each trip. :p

When you are reading the descriptions if there is a certain part of the dish you know you don't like ask them to leave it out. My oldest son has Tourette's and can't eat anything with onions. They :)

Ok I have a silly question, what does having Tourettes have to do with eating onions? My son has Tourettes and ADORES onions, the boy can eat them raw :eek:

Thanks, Carole

Crazed, Nevermind about my question on onions and Tourettes, I looked it up. Wow it's great they are connecting food allergies with it. My son is now 30 years old and does very well so we really don't look at info for it like we did when he was younger. He had a year of Clonidine and that really curbed the tics down to foot tapping mostly.

Anyway interesting theory, the food allergies.

Happy Cruising, Carole

We are sailing with Carnival for the first time in March. We will be on the Triumph. I noticed on the menus on Shipstips, the Chocolate Melting Cake was not listed. Is that something you have to ask for if you want it every night? DD and I can't wait to try it. Thanks. Debby

I could be wrong here...

But I think I read somewhere that Carnival discontinued Chocolate Melting Cake.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike

NOOOOOO please tell me it ain't so!:eek:

It was on the menu everynight last April on the Spirit and I'm looking so forward to it next month on the Pride. Surely we would have read it here if it were discontinued. There would be lots of rebellion.

Bitter & Blanc is my favorite. Even beats the choc melting cake.

This website describes the desserts:

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Dinner_Desserts

Bitter and Blanc

Warm Dark and White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

YUM! Not like any bread pudding I've ever had. They pour the warm sauce over the top and push it down into the center when serving it to you. Can't wait.

I could be wrong here...

But I think I read somewhere that Carnival discontinued Chocolate Melting Cake.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike

It was on the menu in Nov. It's on everyday. It's so popular, I doubt they'd ever discontinue it. It's also a fairly easy dessert for them to make.

I'm a very picky eater, so this is my plan. I told my DH, I just can't justify paying for something that I'm not sure I'm going to like, especially since we have both returned to school! (Cruise on Sunday is graduation present from mom and dad)

~Kristie

But you have already paid for it (or folks did)- it costs nothing extra to try things. Except in the supper club where the caviar is a lot extra. So you can e adventurous without spending any money!

Bitter & Blanc is my favorite. Even beats the choc melting cake.

This website describes the desserts:

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Dinner_Desserts

Bitter and Blanc

Warm Dark and White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

YUM! Not like any bread pudding I've ever had. They pour the warm sauce over the top and push it down into the center when serving it to you. Can't wait.

I'll second that!

I was astounded to find BOTH Warm Chocolate Melting Cake AND Bitter and Blanc at the dessert station in the BUFFET on the Miracle last November. They even had the vanilla sauce you could spoon on yourself!

thanks for a great thread...now I'll have to go to wipe the drool off my face...

I agree- dropping the Chocolate Lava Cake would be like dropping the towel creatures- they are known for their lava cake and everyone would scream and picket!

And I do wonder- if you don't know what something is, why not ask? Is there anything in the name Baked Alaska that would lead you to an understanding of a cake with a slab of ice cream covered in merengue then broiled? Maybe ice cream-Alaska=both cold. Menu names are intended to entice, not to explain. If the description isn't good enough ask. No one will think a thing about it and you won't miss out on the one thing you would love above all else.

Thanks to PineappleGal - this came from an old post I'd saved:

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
  • For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
  • In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
  • Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

But you have already paid for it (or folks did)- it costs nothing extra to try things. Except in the supper club where the caviar is a lot extra. So you can e adventurous without spending any money!

I believe the OP was responding to another post that said they try something new each cruise so that they learn if they like the item or not..what Kristie (OP) was saying is "that was her plan also" as she knew she wouldn't have to pay for it...she didn't like going to a restaurant and ordering something new..not liking it and then having to pay since they were both back in school and money is tight...OP correct me if I'm wrong..

Also while on this topic..we are taking 2 picky and I do mean PICKY 16 yr olds with us in Oct...does anyone know if the kids menu has an age cap? I'd like to get them to try different things with the understanding if they didn't like it there was always PIZZA later..just hate to think of them living on pizza for a week..

Also while on this topic..we are taking 2 picky and I do mean PICKY 16 yr olds with us in Oct...does anyone know if the kids menu has an age cap? I'd like to get them to try different things with the understanding if they didn't like it there was always PIZZA later..just hate to think of them living on pizza for a week..

I'm very much willing to bet $50 that your 16 year olds will be just FINE. Sorry that I don't have an answer to your question but honestly, if someone can't find SOMETHING to eat on a cruise (normally known for its quantity AND variety of food), then they either have severe food allergies or are deliberately trying to starve themselves.

Definitely coming off the diet for the cruise...my goal...gain 10 lbs, then I know I ate good.

Ha, ha! I hear ya! I eat healthy 90% of the time, and am actually surprised there are so many healthy options on the Carnival menus. That being said, I do plan to eat whatever I crave during my cruise, even if that means ice cream and pizza at 3AM!! :D

I've actually been really strict with my diet for the last few weeks to drop a few pounds before I gain them right back!!

We took our first cruise before we discovered cruise critic. Being firt timers we went in totally blind to everything.

I had 3 teen boys=went to dinner the first night and one son ordered the fruit medely plate. now for past cruisers we all know what the fruit plate consists of--- he looked at the plate---looked at the waiter and said-- I will be starved by midweek-- the waiter laughed and laughed and told him he can order as many of anything he wanted.

He suggested that we order a soup each night and pass it around to share.

Archived