Menu tip for frist time cruisers

cruisinCLT

Just take out a large life insurance policy on him ASAP. Pizza has large quantities of things that hate his heart and its arteries. BEEN there, DONE that.

Dan

I just want the cars!:D But may have to wait awhile, he's pretty dang healthy. However if I could get him to marry me, and eat my cooking....;)

I don't know if this tip was mentioned earlier...I tried to read back but the last several posts have gotten a little off track (not criticizing - just an observation;))...but here it is:

If you are a breakfast person, eat in the dining room. It is especially nice when you have kids because you are not getting up and down for the buffet. They have everything you can get in the buffet, and more! Yummm!:D

I don't know if this tip was mentioned earlier...I tried to read back but the last several posts have gotten a little off track (not criticizing - just an observation;))...but here it is:

If you are a breakfast person, eat in the dining room. It is especially nice when you have kids because you are not getting up and down for the buffet. They have everything you can get in the buffet, and more! Yummm!:D

Definitely! And you can get eggs benedict!

My picky picky 14 year old DD has promised me that she was going to try new things on the cruise. I had told her what a better way to try some new things. I like the idea that we can order an extra entree of something the two of us want to split to try it, but still order something we like. I also like the idea that she can ( hopefully not) order off the kids menu. these are great tips for first time cruisers. Thanks to all.:rolleyes:

I agree to not stress about it, but 40 year old men who "live on pizza" limit themselves socially and professionally. The eternal child isn't a good role. :p

Neither is telling people how to live.....as adults it's up to each of us to make his or her own choices. Presumably those 40 year old men already have mothers.:rolleyes:

Neither is telling people how to live.....as adults it's up to each of us to make his or her own choices. Presumably those 40 year old men already have mothers.:rolleyes:

EXCELLENT comeback! Come on people, lighten up. When did this become the "let's tell grown adults (and a few pre-adults) how to eat" board? The OP was doing a great service to frist-time (sorry, couldn't resist) cruisers. I applaud her for doing exactly what this board was intended for.

Even a 15+ cruiser can learn a thing or two here. I never thought about the fruit plate with the choc. melting cake or the fruit and cheese plate as a pre-appetizer. Great ideas! Keep 'em coming.:)

Suggestions for newbies....cappuccino and expresso are included in the dining room for all meals, just ask ...the eggs Benedict and baked apples in the dining room at breakfast....the Grand Marnier Souffle for dessert in the dining room....if your ship has a supper club, make reservations as soon as you board and treat your self to the best 30 bucks you'll ever spend....you can get an appetizer, table side made Caesar salad, lobster bisque, 24 oz porterhouse and dessert...or how about a 14 oz lobster tail...

EXCELLENT comeback! Come on people, lighten up. When did this become the "let's tell grown adults (and a few pre-adults) how to eat" board? The OP was doing a great service to frist-time (sorry, couldn't resist) cruisers. I applaud her for doing exactly what this board was intended for.

Even a 15+ cruiser can learn a thing or two here. I never thought about the fruit plate with the choc. melting cake or the fruit and cheese plate as a pre-appetizer. Great ideas! Keep 'em coming.:)

Hey, from Snellville, I'm from Covington!

Last year on the Legend, one of our group wanted Creme Brulee on different nights. The waiter told him that as long as at least six people in his party wanted the same, they could always do it the following night.

I think this thread is WONDERFUL! I am going on my first cruise Feb 8 on the Triumph. (Christmas present to kids from my parents)(Spending our inheritance as they like to say! LOL) My parents have been on 15 - 20 cruises, brother and SIL probably 5 - 10, sister and BIL 1, us first. SO MANY questions and definetly don't won't to look stupid. (I don't mind looking stupid as much as my wife) LOVE the idea about tipping the waiter to have 3 shrimp cocktails waiting when I arrive. I have read that you can order off of ANY menu in ANY dining room? Is this true? So say for example I am eating dinner in the dining room, (only requirement for going on a free cruise was eveyone eats dinner together to enjoy and discuss days activities, NO problem here lol) I could order say a hamburger or a pastrami on rye even if it is not on the menu?

PLEASE keep up with the tips! Need them and LOVE them!:cool:

I have never seen or heard of anyone ordering something from the deli during dinner in the dining room. Hamburgers are always available, though.

Personally, I think the poor waiters are already working their tails off and all these extra little "things" that are being suggested here just puts a lot more on them.

If you want a Rueben, have one for lunch. Or after you return to the ship from an excursion and need something to hold you over until dinner.

Yes, I imagine you can get ANYTHING you want whenever you want it, but just a word of advice to the nubes: expecting to be treated like royalty (you're not on Celebrity, you know ;) ) may be just a bit much.

Tipping for these special requests is nice, but it still puts an unnecessary burden on the staff. Just bear in mind that they are not your personal servants, and despite what some may be saying here, it may not be possible for them to fulfill any and all "special" requests.

PS: I also find it incredibly irritating when I see an adult who, ewwww, won't touch something or wouldn't dream of eating anything other than a plain, extra-well done whatever. Not sure why it bothers me. I guess just because it seems SO childish and is just so unappealing from a child, let alone an adult.

Coming from a reformed picky eater - you don't know what you're missing. But that's your problem, not mine. But I think you'll find that there is nothing on the menu that will kill you to try it. And you will NEVER know how something tastes unless you do try it.

I have read that you can order off of ANY menu in ANY dining room? Is this true? !:cool:

I have not heard of this nor would I even venture to try it. Like posted above--the waiter has enough to do-- some are waiting on 4-5 tables and they would need to go get a burger or sandwich from someplace.

Grill isnt opened during early dinner hours.

Room service menu is what it is-- you cant get something that isnt on it.

We made dinner mandatory too when we do family cruises. It really isnt that hard-- and it is only about 2 hours of your day.

You never know until you ask. The way I look at it, if they didn't want to do it the answer would be no. And I can assure you, it is virtually impossible to ask them for something that they have never been asked for before. They have been asked it all and they are usually very prepared to handle any requests. Let's don't forget as well, YOU are paying for this vacation. While some requests can get way out there, and, I will agree, some things border on the ridiculous, most anything you request can be accomplished and they are more than willing to accomodate.

So what if a grown man wants to eat pizza everyday. Some people live to eat (me!) and others eat to live (my DH). My DH is just as happy with a bowl of popcorn as he is with a five course dinner. Food is just not that important to him. Yes, he will try new things but overall he can take the fussy stuff or leave it as I'm sure Covington's (great big HOWDY right back at ya!) BF can.

I just don't want a first-time cruiser to feel intimidated in any way out of asking for what they want. Thank the good Lord everybody is different. That leaves more chocolate melting cake for ME!!:o

So what if a grown man wants to eat pizza everyday. Some people live to eat (me!) and others eat to live (my DH). My DH is just as happy with a bowl of popcorn as he is with a five course dinner. Food is just not that important to him. Yes, he will try new things but overall he can take the fussy stuff or leave it as I'm sure Covington's (great big HOWDY right back at ya!) BF can.

:o

Exactly! BTW if it's not pizza or Waffle House, it's El Ranchero on Hwy 78! LOL

I think this thread is WONDERFUL! I am going on my first cruise Feb 8 on the Triumph. (Christmas present to kids from my parents)(Spending our inheritance as they like to say! LOL) My parents have been on 15 - 20 cruises, brother and SIL probably 5 - 10, sister and BIL 1, us first. SO MANY questions and definetly don't won't to look stupid. (I don't mind looking stupid as much as my wife) LOVE the idea about tipping the waiter to have 3 shrimp cocktails waiting when I arrive. I have read that you can order off of ANY menu in ANY dining room? Is this true? So say for example I am eating dinner in the dining room, (only requirement for going on a free cruise was eveyone eats dinner together to enjoy and discuss days activities, NO problem here lol) I could order say a hamburger or a pastrami on rye even if it is not on the menu?

PLEASE keep up with the tips! Need them and LOVE them!:cool:

Its possible that 'order from any menu' is available on another cruiseline. For instance, on some RCL ships, you can order a steak from "CHOPS" Steakhouse to be served in the dining room. [cost $15.] But on Carnival you CANNOT order a steak from the Supper Club to be served in the dr. People tell you things that applied to their cruise and line that they think is true of every line. But they are all a bit different. Another for instance, Carnival free ice cream 24/7, look for that on Princess and you will be disappointed. But Princess will serve you a full dinner on your balcony, Carnival will not.

Dan

Exactly! BTW if it's not pizza or Waffle House, it's El Ranchero on Hwy 78! LOL

Sorry, big Frontera fans here! That is like the first thing we all want when we get back from a cruise. A big ole' bowl of gooey cheese dip and fried tortilla chips! Talk about heart attack in a bowl! :D

Sorry, big Frontera fans here! That is like the first thing we all want when we get back from a cruise. A big ole' bowl of gooey cheese dip and fried tortilla chips! Talk about heart attack in a bowl! :D

And don't forget the fried ice cream!:)

I don't think I saw this mentioned earlier: If you do have a special needs diet - whether it's a food allergy, or if you're a vegetarian, etc., make sure that your PVP or Travel Agent knows. They will make sure that you are taken care of on board. My cousin, a pretty strict vegetarian, was with us on our last cruise, and a dining coordinator came to her every night, showed her the menu for the next night, and if she didn't like any of the vegetarian choices on there, was able to set up a special meal just for her to enjoy the next day.

Wasn't trying to start trouble. I thought that I read on the Carnival site that it was possible to order from any menu. Not trying to be rediculous (sp?) Just sometimes I like to have a hamburger instead of chicken or pasta? I do agree with the person that said WE are paying for the vacation. (of course they would be tipped) And that IS their job?. Not trying to sound like an (**)$%&)#)($ or anything.

:)

ES: No one implied you were trying to start trouble. But I sure have never seen anything like that posted on Carnival's website or discussed here in the past (and EVERYTHING gets discussed on these boards! Usually multiple times! :p ).

Yes, you are paying for your vacation. Still, that doesn't mean that the wait staff (or cabin steward or any other crew member) are your personal servants, despite you giving them a little something extra. You can ask, but you shouldn't expect that they can accomodate EVERY person's specialized requests, if they're far from the norm.

Just trying to warn people that some of these things may or may not be possible. No point in setting your expectations unreasonably high. Then, if they can't oblige your request, you (not you, specifically) will yell at them that "I READ IT ON CRUISE CRITIC!" and we'll all look silly. :o

Having the cheese plate early rather than late probably isn't an issue as they have them in the galley already. Same as requesting multiples of any regular dining-room item. Asking for something that is not normally served in the dining room may be a problem.

The "it's my vacation, I paid for it, and I want the sun AND the moon and I want them NOW" may not be quite the best approach. ;)

The "it's my vacation, I paid for it, and I want the sun AND the moon and I want them NOW" may not be quite the best approach. ;)

I don't think anyone is going to quite that extreme. All I'm saying is if they feel the request is out of line, they will say "no, it's not possible". And you mean to tell me you or your significant other have never slipped someone a couple of bucks to go above and beyond? If not, you've been missing out on some stuff! Don't do that! Life is too short and you never know what you may get in return. While our requests have never been extreme, we have gotten some extra special attention or the "just right" table a time or two because of those few extra bucks. And, when it all boils down, it is in fact YOUR vacation and your money. Within reason, I don't think it is ever out of line to ask someone to do the unexpected and you just never know, they may actually say YES!;)

Archived