Menu tip for frist time cruisers

cruisinCLT

Hello to all you new cruisers.......I just was sitting here thinking about all the yummy food in the diningroom and I wanted to give you a tip. Don't be discourgaged by the name of a dish.......actually read the fine print under it because it could end up being something you really enjoy and you don't try it because you can't pronouce the name of the dish!

Good tip. Also if something sounds questionable, order it anyway. You don't have to eat it if you don't like it but it might just amaze you. Also try things you would never pay for like escargot or caviar. Also tip for newby's, portions are very small so don't feel like a pig ordering 2 of something. For example, appetizer of shrimp cocktail is so small, they give you 3 shrimp. "Oh no, I might not be able to finish my dinner if eat all that":D

Good tip. Also if something sounds questionable, order it anyway. You don't have to eat it if you don't like it but it might just amaze you. Also try things you would never pay for like escargot or caviar. Also tip for newby's, portions are very small so don't feel like a pig ordering 2 of something. For example, appetizer of shrimp cocktail is so small, they give you 3 shrimp. "Oh no, I might not be able to finish my dinner if eat all that":D

Ask your server like I did on a recent cruise. How big is the Lobster? His response it's not very big I'll bring you 2. They really want to make your cruise experiance as enjoyable as possible!

Order the Choc Melting Cake with the Fresh Fruit plate. Dip the fruit in the gooey choc in the middle of the cake! :D

Oh...that's a great tip (and not just for first time cruisers :D). I'll have to try that next time.

Are there really that many people that are intimidated by the menus? I don't find them the least bit exotic or unusual. I can't think of anything I hadn't seen on menus in restaurants. You want to talk exotic, I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago that actually has emu and lion on their menus. No, I didn't order either one, but those are truly exotic. LOL

Another "tip" that I used was I talked to my waiter the first night and handed him a $10 and said, "I love shrimp and I would love to have 3 of the cocktails each night when I sit down", sure enough each night before taking the orders I had shrimp and could munch away while deciding what to order.

As was said above each one had 4 pretty small shrimp so it wasn't like a ton fo food.

On my next cruise my goal is to try something each night that I would normally not try, I am looking at it as a free way to expand my food horizens.

Are there really that many people that are intimidated by the menus? I don't find them the least bit exotic or unusual. I can't think of anything I hadn't seen on menus in restaurants. You want to talk exotic, I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago that actually has emu and lion on their menus. No, I didn't order either one, but those are truly exotic. LOL

Well, they are definitely exotic to me..........someone who's usual fare is a Big Mac or Whopper :cool: lol

On my next cruise my goal is to try something each night that I would normally not try, I am looking at it as a free way to expand my food horizons.

I'm a very picky eater, so this is my plan. I told my DH, I just can't justify paying for something that I'm not sure I'm going to like, especially since we have both returned to school! (Cruise on Sunday is graduation present from mom and dad)

~Kristie

Order the Choc Melting Cake with the Fresh Fruit plate. Dip the fruit in the gooey choc in the middle of the cake! :D

Fabulous idea... love the Choc Melting Cake anyway, had it almost every night on my last two cruises!

When you are reading the descriptions if there is a certain part of the dish you know you don't like ask them to leave it out. My oldest son has Tourette's and can't eat anything with onions. They were very good about making his minus the onions. My dh will not eat any type of garnish sauce or gravy so he always ordered his items plain and they had no problem with it. To him the menus were "exotic" and he hadn't planned on eating much in the dining room on our first cruise. His plan was to go to the dining room to make me happy then he'd hit the buffet after. Well once he found out that they'd bring him any of the options minus the sauces or cheeses then he was in heaven.

Also there is a kids menu and you as an adult can order anything off that menu. This helped on our last cruise on the Valor with my oldest son who had the issues with onions. Our waiter for the first time out of 4 cruises was less than spectacular. After a few mistakes with my son's dinner he gave up and wasn't going to eat any of the entrees. Then I remembered the kids menu and that adults do order from it if they want. It turned an upleasant experience around. They also have a banana split on that menu too :)

Newbie question here: Do you order everythin you want at once? What happens if you order 1 entree and don't like it? Will you be throwing the timing off if you ask for a different entree? I'd hate to order 2 entrees just in case and possibly waste 1 but I will if need be. :o

Thanks for the great topic. I remember a funny story I would like to share. My 70 year old cousin on his first cruise. I think it was the second night when lobster could be ordered I ordered 2 the look on his face was so so funny. You had to be there, his qq was can I do that of course that started a great vacation on the Pride.

Archived