First time cruiser...are our passports and ids enough?

theplaceofh

Dh and I are cruising for the first time in 8 days (yay!). We have our passports, and of course, our driver's licenses...will we need to bring our birth certificates as well, or will passports (books) and ids do just fine?

Thanks!

Carnival Legend 1/25/09

Dh and I are cruising for the first time in 8 days (yay!). We have our passports, and of course, our driver's licenses...will we need to bring our birth certificates as well, or will passports (books) and ids do just fine?

Thanks!

Carnival Legend 1/25/09

As long as you hold valid Passports, you do not need any further I.D...no DL, no birth cert.

Your passport is your ID.

If you aren't driving, all you need is your passport.

If you want to leave your passport on the ship when you get off, you will want to bring along your driver's license. Some ports require a photo ID to get on the pier to the ship.

Have a fabulous time!!!

Thanks so much. We have to have our DLs to board the plane, but I'll leave the birth certificates safe at home.

If you have a passport, you do not need to have your driver's licenses to board a plane. I haven't used my DL for boarding since I got my passport. A passport trumps a driver's license and a birth certificate.

Thanks!

Carnival Legend 1/25/09

You passport is your best form of ID. So good in fact, that it is a theft target. For that reason, you might want to leave the passport in the safe in the cabin on the ship.

If so, I recommend that you photo copy your passport and that, and your driver's license when you leave the ship. HOWEVER, if there is any chance you might be late returning to the ship, then make sure you have your passport with you.

Like others, I have used my passport many times when flying. They will scrutinize it a lot less than a DL. I was applying for something recently with the feds and they required a BC. I showed them my passport instead and they were happy. It has my place of birth, date and citizenship. I always have it with me when I am on foreign soil. Yes, they like to steal them but they would much rather steal my money, billfold and credit cards. I keep all of it protected.

We have our passports, and of course, our driver's licenses...will we need to bring our birth certificates as well, or will passports (books) and ids do just fine?

Looks like the OP is leaving tomorrow. Have a great time.

I came here to ask the very same question. The various cruise lines post different information. NCLs' site states that a PP AND birth certificate are required. I could not confirm that on the Dept of State web-site, so thought I would come here and get the inside scoop. This thread sure answered that question.

Someone else raised a valid point. Oh man, you don't want your passport sailing away if you're late getting back to the ship! First time cruiser here. Think I'll take mine on shore with me.

We were on the NCL Star last week in Mexico. Keep in mind, when you leave the ship, you are in a foreign country. Make sure you have your passports with you when you go. If something bad happens, your drivers license will not help you nor will a copy of your passport. Keep them in a safe place, on your person if possible. Ladies if you are carrying your passport in your purse, make sure your purse is accessible to only you. Keep in zipped or closed in some way. It is very easy to become a shop lifting statistic. We did not need our BC at all and did not even bother to take it. Like an earlier poster said, the passport trumps all.

I just returned from a 2 week Hawaii trip with a stop in Mexico. If you have a passport that is all you need but I would recommend another form of ID in addition. At all the ports they required the cruise card and a form of ID (passport or driver's license) to return to the ship. They check it when entering the port, the terminal building, the security area, and the ship (4 times). Be sure to have the ID when you leave the ship (in addition to the cruise card).

Archived