Does anyone really care

sealeggs

I just don't get the intrest in who the Captain or Cruise Director on a specific ship is. Will you not cruise if it is someone else? I personally don't care who they are. We have cruised 8 times and yes all with Royal Caribbean and have enjoyed everyone of them and have had different CD's and Captains and no this didn't alter our decision on which ship we sailed. There I will get off of my soapbox now. I just had to vent.

I just don't get the intrest in who the Captain or Cruise Director on a specific ship is. Will you not cruise if it is someone else? I personally don't care who they are. We have cruised 8 times and yes all with Royal Caribbean and have enjoyed everyone of them and have had different CD's and Captains and no this didn't alter our decision on which ship we sailed. There I will get off of my soapbox now. I just had to vent.

I don't really care either, it isn't like you really get to know these people, maybe have a few minute conversation with them occasionally. Never understood the fascination some people have with them....JMHO

I went on a cruise once. Julie McCoy wasn't the cruise director and I couldn't find Captain Stubing anywhere. That's the last time I'll go on a cruise. So heck yea it matters.

Now I really do like your reasoning. You just made my day.

Really doesn't matter to me either. I had one CD I who I just couldn't stand. He really grated on my nerves. So, I guess same type of ship, same itenerary I would go on the cruise without him but certainly wouldn't cancel or decide against a cruise because he was on it. I would just drink more so I wouldn't care.LOL

People that cruise ALL the time seem to feel a conection to these people like they are family. Other than that I dont see the facination either. I find it funny when Im on a cruise and someone says "Oh so and so is in the windjammer, I have to go say hi we've been on 40 cruises with them" or "We just sailed with them two weeks ago and now here we are again on the same ship" They work there!!! You are not "neat-o" because you know Abdul in the dining room. Its nice to be remebered by a crew member, but its their job to be nice, and you probably wouldnt give them time of day if they work at you local Dennys instead of a cruise ship.

Really doesn't matter to me either. I had one CD I who I just couldn't stand. He really grated on my nerves. So, I guess same type of ship, same itenerary I would go on the cruise without him but certainly wouldn't cancel or decide against a cruise because he was on it. I would just drink more so I wouldn't care.LOL

I was on a ship and our CD was one that everyone on here seems to love. We were having a snack and he was in there as well. He was the most foul-mouthed, obscene person I have ever heard in my life; I thought he was a drunken passenger, but then I realized who it was. I'm no prude, but the stories he was telling were pretty crazy. I don't care what he does in his free time, but he should've known that people would know who he was even when he was off duty. I loved the ship and everything about it, though, so he didn't make or break it.

i find it funny when im on a cruise and someone says "oh so and so is in the windjammer, i have to go say hi we've been on 40 cruises with them" or "we just sailed with them two weeks ago and now here we are again on the same ship" they work there!!! You are not "neat-o" because you know abdul in the dining room. Its nice to be remebered by a crew member, but its their job to be nice, and you probably wouldnt give them time of day if they work at you local dennys instead of a cruise ship.

lmfbo!!!!!!!!!!:d:d:d

After 25 cruises they have all gelled together especially the cd's. I understand where you are coming from Cruisinghappymm I had one cd that stood out because he was the most obnoxious, & totally into himself on the Crown Princess last May. YUCK! Regarding the captains the only two that I remember was on Princess because he was Scottish & I teased him about his kilts, & the second one was when I ate at the captains table for dinner on X. Outside of that I could care less as long as he gets me to my ports safely & does not leave me behind that is all I care about.

People that cruise ALL the time seem to feel a conection to these people like they are family. Other than that I dont see the facination either. I find it funny when Im on a cruise and someone says "Oh so and so is in the windjammer, I have to go say hi we've been on 40 cruises with them" or "We just sailed with them two weeks ago and now here we are again on the same ship" They work there!!! You are not "neat-o" because you know Abdul in the dining room. Its nice to be remebered by a crew member, but its their job to be nice, and you probably wouldnt give them time of day if they work at you local Dennys instead of a cruise ship.

You just cracked me up how true how true. I just wish they would let us tour the crew's quarters & chat with them in their off hours. I would love to hear what they have to say about us, & all the people that feel they are so important because they know Abdul who by the way is probably trying to run in the other direction!

Although I wouldn't change my plans based on who the captain or CD is, I admit to enjoying Captain Johnny's announcements on the Mariner and his various appearances. Loved his quirky sense of humor, accessibility, warm personality, and acknowledgment of the entire crew. It was a nice little "extra" I hadn't expected--and it's not something I'd ever expect to find elsewhere. How many other cruise ship captains interest their passengers enough to have a book written about them?

Before I'd sailed with Captain Johnny, I too was perplexed about why anyone would care who the captain of a ship was. Now I understand at least some of the appeal. Wouldn't influence my choice of future cruises, but CJ made my cruise just a wee bit more special.

Some folks get very attached to particular captains.

I have never understood why people want to know who the CD and Capt. are. Not only could I not be able to tell you the name of any of the CDs we have had, I wouldn't even recognize them during our cruise. We sailed on the Mariner in August, and when we were in port we rode up to one of the mountains on a tram. We made idle chit chat with some of the folks, but it wasn't until AFTER I got off the tram that I learned one of the gentlemen was the CD. As for the Capt...well I knew it was Capt Johnny because everyone kept mentioning how great our cruise would be because of him. I personally couldn't stand him. I really have no interest in hearing exactly how many miles we are away from a port, as well as daily "humorus" tidbits (humorus in his eyes)....especially when it interrupted something I was doing. All I want the captain to do is steer the ship to our ports. I'll look at the TV if I want to see the location.

I am glad that there are others that feel the same way. I thought I was the only one given how many threads that are on this site about Cruise Directors and Captains. We cruise for the ships and destinations. The last 2 years we have sailed out of San Juan and have done both routes aboard the Adventure of The Seas. . We are looking into going out of this same port again this year. We love San Juan and spend a couple of days pre-cruise and a day after the cruise.

I am glad that there are others that feel the same way. I thought I was the only one given how many threads that are on this site about Cruise Directors and Captains. We cruise for the ships and destinations. The last 2 years we have sailed out of San Juan and have done both routes aboard the Adventure of The Seas. . We are looking into going out of this same port again this year. We love San Juan and spend a couple of days pre-cruise and a day after the cruise.

No you are not the only one we just sailed on AOS in 8/08 & if you asked me who they were or to pick them out I would never be able to. Now ask me who the Concierge was in the CL & I can tell you what heels, glasses she wore & some of the best martini's served to me. We all have our priorities & the Concierges are mine.

People that cruise ALL the time seem to feel a conection to these people like they are family. Other than that I dont see the facination either. I find it funny when Im on a cruise and someone says "Oh so and so is in the windjammer, I have to go say hi we've been on 40 cruises with them" or "We just sailed with them two weeks ago and now here we are again on the same ship" They work there!!! You are not "neat-o" because you know Abdul in the dining room. Its nice to be remebered by a crew member, but its their job to be nice, and you probably wouldnt give them time of day if they work at you local Dennys instead of a cruise ship.[/quote]

LOL>...... I love this...and it is so true!!! Seems we meet one every cruise who thinks the crew is just waiting to see them again and they are old Friends. The crew could probably care less, and laugh about them behind their backs!!!

This thread has given me a serious case of the chuckles!

Two cruises ago, we were chatting with a couple sitting near us on the lido deck. During our conversation they told us this was their third time on the ship (Norwegian Star). The wife turns to hubby and says "We have to make sure we go to (name of bar on the ship) and say hello to (name of bartender)." She then informs us that this bartender was really great to them the last time they sailed and that the bartender "would never forgive us for not stopping by to chat." WHAT?! :eek:

This thread has given me a serious case of the chuckles!

Two cruises ago, we were chatting with a couple sitting near us on the lido deck. During our conversation they told us this was their third time on the ship (Norwegian Star). The wife turns to hubby and says "We have to make sure we go to (name of bar on the ship) and say hello to (name of bartender)." She then informs us that this bartender was really great to them the last time they sailed and that the bartender "would never forgive us for not stopping by to chat." WHAT?! :eek:

How much you want to bet the bartender was ducking behind the bar.

How much you want to bet the bartender was ducking behind the bar.

But if he didn't duck in time, he pretended like he remembered them, and when they walked away he mumbled something no one else could hear to the bartender next to him and they both had a good laugh! .....:rolleyes:

LOL, I could also care less!

I'm sure many people that have dinner with the Captain, are the ones that want to know which one they will be sailing with. I can understand that.

I have no interest because even when we are invited, we decline. (unless he want's to come to the windjammer!!)

I agree.

It doesn't matter to me at all!

Some people think that a certain Captain and/or CD can make all the difference in the world to a particular cruise. They may or may not be correct, I realy don't know.

I have been on two cruises and wouldn't be able to name or identify the captain or CD if my life depended on it.

Oh, and mation101, THAT was funny, and so true. :)

You know these are the same people that take and give their E-Mail address's to their Wait Staff, CD, Room Steward,etc, and just about everyone else they run into on board, because they will be life long friends with them. There is a book called Cruise Confidential written by a man that is from the United States. He was hired by Carnival. Their first American not to work on their Entertainment Staff. He worked as a Waiter. The stories he writes about what the Cruise Staff has to say about the paying passengers are a riot. They refer to most US passangers as cows. You have to read this with an open mind. I am sure this would changr the minds of some of these people that believe that the Staff is their true friend. I am not saying this isn't the case for all of the work staff, but as someone wrote previously, they are working for tips, the better the service the bigger the TIP.

Archived