Does anyone really care

sealeggs

I just don't get the intrest in who the Captain or Cruise Director on a specific ship is. Will you not cruise if it is someone else? I personally don't care who they are. We have cruised 8 times and yes all with Royal Caribbean and have enjoyed everyone of them and have had different CD's and Captains and no this didn't alter our decision on which ship we sailed. There I will get off of my soapbox now. I just had to vent.

I don't. I assume the captain is qualified and while I realize some CDs are better than others, I don't research who is going to be the CD. I'll find out when I get on the ship.

I think you are right, jc. About the not remembering perhaps. Vacations are very special times for us. We only do so many a year. But the captain cruises week after week. It is his job.

I know I don't remember the people I deal with at work. I will be out in town and people will stop me and say "hi". They will tell me I gave them, or their SO, or their daughter or whoever their epidural when she had her baby.

And I have no clue! I will always smile and return the greeting. Ask them how the baby is doing. Say it was nice to see them again and we part ways.

Having a baby is a unique period for the mom and family. For me it is a job. One I love very much but still - after 25 years I just don't remember each patient....... :)

Well, some of us are unforgettable...... :D:D:D

Aubie

After 35 years of marriage and 16 cruises, "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I choose to cruise, relax, and get to know one another. That is what keeps us married. Like other posters, we have absolutely no desire to get to know the Captain or the CD. I could really care less. The only CD that I remember was the CD on our first cruise who, when off stage, had the personality of a porcupine! On our last day when I met him on a stairwell and had a question about disembarking, he gave me the party line about the ship being controlled by immigration and customs!

Aubie, you mention Rusti being on the Brill, well my DW and I also remember him as well as a bartender in the Champagne bar named Marli. She made a wicked Dirti-tini. As you can see from my siggy we cruised on the Brill 2004, 05, 06 & 07, all during the first two weeks in Feb. Yes people we do remember the CD on that ship during all four of our cruises on the Brill. and he remembered us, Bill was his name and he always found time to chat. I also was aquainted with the two different captains (the first retired after our second Brill cruise), the hotel directors, bar managers, etc... You never know when you may need an ear in which to put a bug in. Got my favorite wine glass after a note to the Captain on our third Brill. cruise and the same thing happened after talking to the Captain on our fourth Brill cruise. So, you see people, while it may not determine whether or not you will take a cruise on any particular ship it's nice to know that if you need something in particular you know who's ear you'll be putting the bug in. ;)

I remember Bill from 06, in 04 it was Lucky Pete (Peetahh):D. The CD we had in 03 is no longer with the company, and his name escapes me.

Aubie

I think it has to do the the phrasing of the original post. It was a statement, rather than a question, that "I don't get why anybody cares who the CD is." and it has been made clear that, for some reason, the fact that some people care about that bugs him.

This in turn brought out several posters who concurred with the OP, and the implication was made that it was silly or ridiculous to care, and examples of why it was ridiculous were given, several of which were really sadly cynical and slightly sarcastic and mean spirited. If you don't think this applies to you, then fine, I wasn't talking about you and there's no need to respond to this as a personal attack. It's not.

In any event, the snarky comments, in turn, brought out those who felt they had to defend themselves because they do care, but do not think it's ridiculous. I did note that not one poster said that they chose their cruises because of the captain or CD, only saying that hypothetically, it might influence their choice, all other things being equal, which, of course, they rarely are.

Seriously though, even though, like others, I book my cruises with no idea who is to be on the staff for that sailing, I am curious to know who they are, because I have become acquainted with some of them. To ask why we care is, honestly, a bit rude. Some people care about some things that some others don't. To imply that the feelings of some makes them silly or ridiculous is rude.

If those posting here don't understand why it is rude, I don't know that I'm capable of explaining it to them. But I'll give it a shot.

Suppose you like Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and Shasta brand colas equally. In other words, you don't really care which is which, they're all pretty much the same to you. But then you see someone else who is offered a Pepsi, and they say, no thanks, I prefer Coke, so I'll just have a water instead.

Okay this is all fine and dandy. People have their preferences, right. But suppose you butted into the conversation to ask this person, "Why do you care, Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, it's all the same. Seems silly to me that you don't like Pepsi, but do like Coke."

That would be rude. This is the same thing.

Well, some of us are unforgettable...... :D:D:D

Aubie

Point well taken. Having met you, I certainly will not forget you.... :D But then I met you while I was vacationing so you were special to me. ;)

If I had merely stuck a needle in your back, you might not have been quite so unforgettable. :p

:pAlthough, I really do not care, who the captain or cruise director is, I must admit, a good cruise director, does make a huge difference to the entertainment on the ship. We have travelled with excellent cruise directors, and also with a few duds:cool:

Well this went well now didn't it. This is just one of my pet peeves. I opened a can of worms. I just don't get the reasoning for everyone caring about acertain CD or a Captain. I for one let that determine what, where , or when I would cruise.

What I don't understand is why it peeves you or anybody else that some of us are interested whether people we like are going to be onboard. It's not as if we're smoking in our cabins or wearing torn T-shirts to dinner on formal night....:eek::rolleyes: And thank you, theotherchad, for saying it so much more eloquently!

I never took notice of the captains until our Brilliance cruise with Capt. Zini. He was so pleasant and would mingle and chat with many of the passengers. People on that cruise all commented on how his good mood seemed to filter down into all the crew. (He was funny, too)

You forgot about the eye candy.:)

Does any one know who the hotel director is on the Jewel?

No, but Terry Lunder is the HD on Monarch...

I think it has to do the the phrasing of the original post. It was a statement, rather than a question, that "I don't get why anybody cares who the CD is." and it has been made clear that, for some reason, the fact that some people care about that bugs him.

This in turn brought out several posters who concurred with the OP, and the implication was made that it was silly or ridiculous to care, and examples of why it was ridiculous were given, several of which were really sadly cynical and slightly sarcastic and mean spirited. If you don't think this applies to you, then fine, I wasn't talking about you and there's no need to respond to this as a personal attack. It's not.

In any event, the snarky comments, in turn, brought out those who felt they had to defend themselves because they do care, but do not think it's ridiculous. I did note that not one poster said that they chose their cruises because of the captain or CD, only saying that hypothetically, it might influence their choice, all other things being equal, which, of course, they rarely are.

Seriously though, even though, like others, I book my cruises with no idea who is to be on the staff for that sailing, I am curious to know who they are, because I have become acquainted with some of them. To ask why we care is, honestly, a bit rude. Some people care about some things that some others don't. To imply that the feelings of some makes them silly or ridiculous is rude.

If those posting here don't understand why it is rude, I don't know that I'm capable of explaining it to them. But I'll give it a shot.

Suppose you like Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and Shasta brand colas equally. In other words, you don't really care which is which, they're all pretty much the same to you. But then you see someone else who is offered a Pepsi, and they say, no thanks, I prefer Coke, so I'll just have a water instead.

Okay this is all fine and dandy. People have their preferences, right. But suppose you butted into the conversation to ask this person, "Why do you care, Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, it's all the same. Seems silly to me that you don't like Pepsi, but do like Coke."

Great post. Unfortunately you are preaching to the choir, the folks that think it is perfectly acceptable to make fun of, denigrate, roll their eyes at, etc. fellow passengers or groups of fellow passengers for their likes or dislikes regarding cruising don't see it that way.

It is my opinion that remarks were made not about people making friends or knowing names of those that work on ship. I remember names of bartenders on different ships that were very good, since we spend a lot of times at the bars it was easy to learn their names.

I think the poking fun or sarcastic comments were aimed more to the people that some have met on board that try to make them selves appear above everyone by name dropping. Just like it seems that when ever we cruise we always meet the bragger who talks about all his cruises or high status with one line or another.

I really don't believe any comments were meant meanly against anyone on here or on ship that have compassion or have made sincere friendships with people on ship. And if any of my posts made it seem that way I apologize because it wasn't what I meant at all. :D

Point well taken. Having met you, I certainly will not forget you.... :D But then I met you while I was vacationing so you were special to me. ;)

If I had merely stuck a needle in your back, you might not have been quite so unforgettable. :p

Believe me, I'd remember you with or without the needle, but I'm eternally grateful it was the latter.

Say, is that the theme song from Cheers I hear in the backround?:D

Aubie

Believe me, I'd remember you with or without the needle, but I'm eternally grateful it was the latter.

Say, is that the theme song from Cheers I hear in the backround?:D

Aubie

.....where everyone knows your name.

Yes, I am hearing it too! ;):D I will also add a couple of :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: - just because I, personally, like them and find that they often express just the right sentiment.

I imagine rolling ones eyes directly to a persons face would certainly express A sentiment, I just imagine it is easier to express these sentiments while typing on a keyboard.

I, on the other hand, trust in the ultimate wisdom of CC's management. If they found :rolleyes: offensive I am sure they would simply delete it from the icons available for our use. :)

I, on the other hand, trust in the ultimate wisdom of CC's management. If they found :rolleyes: offensive I am sure they would simply delete it from the icons available for our use. :)

Obviously people do use them all the time on CC. I have just expressed my opinion (and that is all it is after all, my opinion, you don't have to agree) that I think rolling ones eyes at another person IS offensive and most people would never do that face to face. But it is fairly common (on CC) to observe people rolling their eyes at others using the keyboard. If I don't think that is nice, that is me. Others obviously think it is ok. To each their own. But if someone rolls their eyes at a post directed at me I feel free to let them know my sentiments about it, using words.

Obviously people do use them all the time on CC. I have just expressed my opinion (and that is all it is after all, my opinion, you don't have to agree) that I think rolling ones eyes at another person IS offensive and most people would never do that face to face. But it is fairly common (on CC) to observe people rolling their eyes at others using the keyboard. If I don't think that is nice, that is me. Others obviously think it is ok. To each their own. But if someone rolls their eyes at a post directed at me I feel free to let them know my sentiments about it, using words.

I sincerely apologize for obviously deeply offending you for using :rolleyes: in a post directed toward you. As I stated in my post (and you have proven by your subsequent posts), you seem to be very defensive about the subject, as it seems to hit close to home. And yes, when I think someone is being dramatic for no reason, I have no problem with smiling and rolling my eyes at them to their face. ;) But again, I apologize for offending you.

I think I need a drink:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D

Aubie

I sincerely apologize for obviously deeply offending you for using :rolleyes: in a post directed toward you. As I stated in my post (and you have proven by your subsequent posts), you seem to be very defensive about the subject, as it seems to hit close to home. And yes, when I think someone is being dramatic for no reason, I have no problem with smiling and rolling my eyes at them to their face. ;) But again, I apologize for offending you.

Did I miss something? I thought the rolling eyes :rolleyes: on a post, meant "a Joke" someone "Kidding" being "Sarcastic" I did not think it was an insult..........

Yeah, best answer.

Archived