Does anyone really care

sealeggs

The only CD I would remember is one that annoys me highly & I want to avoid. On our Carnival Liberty cruise on 11/20/08, we got so sick of his voice over the intercom. Since I don't want a Libel suit, I will just say, he drove me nuts & I would definately hope for someone a bit quiter & less obnoxious. He would be enough for me to change ships!

I just don't get the intrest in who the Captain or Cruise Director on a specific ship is. Will you not cruise if it is someone else? I personally don't care who they are. We have cruised 8 times and yes all with Royal Caribbean and have enjoyed everyone of them and have had different CD's and Captains and no this didn't alter our decision on which ship we sailed. There I will get off of my soapbox now. I just had to vent.

Good post. I agree with you.

Every Captain I have had drove the ship exactly the same.

I rarely attend shows anymore, except for ice shows and comedians, so the CD means nothing to me.

I just love this thread. What about the people during the repeaters or Captains party that have to tell the Captain their life stories during the meet & greet? I unfortunately was next in line behind someone like that. Of course I could not let it go & said to the Captain "after that conversation I would love to read your mind". The Captain could not contain himself & burst out loud laughing. Of course I embarassed DH.

I just love this thread. What about the people during the repeaters or Captains party that have to tell the Captain their life stories during the meet & greet? I unfortunately was next in line behind someone like that. Of course I could not let it go & said to the Captain "after that conversation I would love to read your mind". The Captain could not contain himself & burst out loud laughing. Of course I embarassed DH.

Was your husband embarrassed because the Captain was laughing at you or does the Captain (and other ship employees) only laugh at other passengers?

The only time I was interested in who the CD was on our last cruise on the Brilliance. We had heard so much before every cruise about how great Clo was and each time we got a replacement. Twice because she was on vacation and once for maternity leave. It was nice to finally meet her on the last cruise. After introducing ourselves to her it really seamed that she went out of her way to speak to us. Also, our favorite bartender Rusti, who has been on all four of our Brilliance cruises is alway genuinely happy to see us and has evertime remembered our names and what we drink. The look on his face when we walked up to the Champagne bar on last fall's Med. cruise was priceless, same thing for Erik who saw my DW first then quickly asked where I was. We hadn't seen him since our 2004 cruise but again he remembered our names and even which year and itinerary we saw him last. Sometimes it is a genuine friendship that is made.

Aubie

Personally, I think all CD's are a little stuck on themselves and the activities director is the one that does the most work and that's the one who interacts most with the passengers. We have always had a better time when that person was in charge of a trivia game, bingo, or what not than the actual cruise director.

Was your husband embarrassed because the Captain was laughing at you or does the Captain (and other ship employees) only laugh at other passengers?

lol, touchy, touchy! Someone is getting a bit too defensive. :rolleyes:

Most people probably don't care, but it seems there are a large number of micro-managers on the forums. Not sure if this is just this forum, or cruisers in general, that have a need to know every menu for every night, have pictures of their exact cabin before they even board, and need to see cruise compasses for every day. Who can have fun with all that stress?

lol, touchy, touchy! Someone is getting a bit too defensive. :rolleyes:

No, just asking a legitimate question of the poster I quoted. She seemed to be going out of her way to make several cynical and catty comments about people interacting with the Captain and crew. So when she made her comments about her personal attempt at interacting with the Captain I wondered if her DH was embarrassed because the Captain was laughing at his wife since of course according to her the Crew laughs at people who attempt to do this. Not defensive at all. Why would I be? Oh, and sorry if I don't roll my eyes at you, that just doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do.

No, just asking a legitimate question of the poster I quoted. She seemed to be going out of her way to make several cynical and catty comments about people interacting with the Captain and crew. So when she made her comments about her personal attempt at interacting with the Captain I wondered if her DH was embarrassed because the Captain was laughing at his wife since of course according to her the Crew laughs at people who attempt to do this. Not defensive at all. Why would I be? Oh, and sorry if I don't roll my eyes at you, that just doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do.

What does it matter?

If you don't like the comments, try ignoring them rather than trying to further the debate?

LOL>...... I love this...and it is so true!!! Seems we meet one every cruise who thinks the crew is just waiting to see them again and they are old Friends. The crew could probably care less, and laugh about them behind their backs!!!

Gosh, this is just a sad thought..... sort of like picturing Mickey Mouse without his head. :(

I choose not to believe this. There are genuinely good (and bad) people in all types of jobs.... you would like to think those that remember your name are not those that are laughing behind your back. (Unless, of course you were the worst-behaved, most demanding "guest" they have experienced) and therefore have other reasons for remembering your name ;)

I wouldn't NOT book a cruise because of who is on it or who isn't. But I HAVE been known to book a particular ship and time it so that my favorites are ALL on it. I guess I'm the only one to admit it. :D

I was once on Enchantment with my favorite captain, CD and concierge all at once. I don't hang out with them all (just one of them - LOL) but we do greet each other and have brief words...some more brief than others.

I've tracked down my 2 favorite room stewards on 2 ships each time I cruised it just to say hi. One remembered things about me that I'd nearly forgotten.

The only email addresses I have were offered to me without my asking. And yes, I have favorite waiters and bartenders...both on the ships and on land. We've been known to ask to sit in certain sections in restaurants so we can have waiters we enjoy.

Oh...and my favorite all time headwaiter is now on Monarch in a management position doing a GREAT job.

Gina

Ladylou Don't put words in my post where did I say the crew was laughing? I said the Captain laughed on the meet & greet line!

In regards to the Captain laughing he knew that I had it spot on or hit the nail on the head! Dh was embarassed because I made the Captain loose his composure which especially on the meet & greet reception line they rarely do!

Thanks Pam_1024 & VASOXFANN for your wisdom in your posts.

Andyjo0930 my dd got married at The Beeches in Rome we had a blast.

Gosh, this is just a sad thought..... sort of like picturing Mickey Mouse without his head. :(

I choose not to believe this. There are genuinely good (and bad) people in all types of jobs.... you would like to think those that remember your name are not those that are laughing behind your back. (Unless, of course you were the worst-behaved, most demanding "guest" they have experienced) and therefore have other reasons for remembering your name ;)

I've had a couple of people see me and come up to me before I've seen them. They weren't laughing. They were smiling and seemed genuinely happy to see me. One young woman saw me at the muster drill, ran up and hugged me to my surprise. She asked if I remembered HER! :eek: She explained she had been my waitress before and described my 20 something daughter who she had hit it off with. I honestly had no idea who she was but it all came back to me as she explained it and she asked about my daughter hoping she was on board with me.

I had another waiter come across the dining room to see me. He said he had heard I was on board again. He'd been our waiter just a couple of weeks before. He asked about DH who he remembered well but wasn't with me that cruise.

Yes, sometimes the crew remembers us and is happy to see us. We are their contact with the outside world for the most part. If we provide them with a little entertainment and show interest in who they really are they seem grateful. So what if some of them laugh behind our backs or if we give them good stories to talk about. They deserve some fun and laughs. Even at our expense. We should give them something...or someone to remember. :D

Gina

Funny story! We must have had that some person on our last cruise. We thought she'd NEVER give the Captain a break. We just wanted to meet him briefly to have our picture taken with him. "oh, and one more thing" she'd say...this seemed as if it would go on all night.

Gina

Funny story! We must have had that some person on our last cruise. We thought she'd NEVER give the Captain a break. We just wanted to meet him briefly to have our picture taken with him. "oh, and one more thing" she'd say...this seemed as if it would go on all night.

Gina

Gina glad you could see the humor in it I personnally thought it was quite comical to see his reaction. By the way yes I hate to admit to this but it was a woman & she did not want to let go of his hand!

Huh? What debate? Please read your own post and ask yourself the question you asked me.

Whatever! :rolleyes: I'm just here to chat about cruising, not start fights with anybody :cool: You apparently have a different agenda, so have fun with that!

Ladylou Don't put words in my post where did I say the crew was laughing? I said the Captain laughed on the meet & greet line!

In regards to the Captain laughing he knew that I had it spot on or hit the nail on the head! Dh was embarassed because I made the Captain loose his composure which especially on the meet & greet reception line they rarely do!

Thanks Pam_1024 & VASOXFANN for your wisdom in your posts.

Andyjo0930 my dd got married at The Beeches in Rome we had a blast.

You're welcome.

Although often the best way to deal with some folks is to ignore them.

People that cruise ALL the time seem to feel a conection to these people like they are family. Other than that I dont see the facination either. I find it funny when Im on a cruise and someone says "Oh so and so is in the windjammer, I have to go say hi we've been on 40 cruises with them" or "We just sailed with them two weeks ago and now here we are again on the same ship" They work there!!! You are not "neat-o" because you know Abdul in the dining room. Its nice to be remebered by a crew member, but its their job to be nice, and you probably wouldnt give them time of day if they work at you local Dennys instead of a cruise ship.

Why do you care if somebody wants to go see somebody they remember fondly? I'll grant you that there are ways to phrase the statement and you picked a fairly obnoxious one, but if I see somebody I know, I'm going to excuse myself and go over to him or her to say hello. The only reason I wouldn't give them the time of day at Denny's is because I don't eat there.:p

Like mommabean, I’m one who has made some friends and some good acquaintances onboard ships, and I make no apology for it.

In general, I really don’t care who the Captain or CD is. The exception is Captain Rick Sullivan on Monarch. If I make it to Port Canaveral to sail her again, I will do my best to coordinate the trip when he will be here. Otherwise it wouldn’t make any difference to me except to be surprised and thrilled to encounter Captains Teo (Independence) or Hakan (Brilliance), both formerly on Monarch, again.

After 25 cruises on Monarch, I came to think of some of the crewmembers as my second family, and cabin 1088 as my second bedroom. My husband and one of the Chief Engineers got to be good friends. I got to be friends with several of the staff and crew, and we correspond, although infrequently. There were many (many, many ) bartenders and servers who know us by name and would make a point of coming up to greet us by name before we saw them. We also danced with the staff at Bolero’s (our skill level depending heavily on how generous the pours from the aforesaid barpeople were), had dinner with the Captain and other senior staff (in the dining room but more often in the Windjammer) and in general had a wonderful time. I’m fairly confident that they didn’t sigh with relief when we disembarked. Sadly, they’ve run away from home.:(

On other ships, we’ve always found a favorite place (bar:D) to hang out on the ship and always got to know the people working there. We don’t share our contact information unless somebody asks us for it, which happens fairly often. And, just as happens with fellow passengers, sometimes we hear from them and sometimes we don’t.

I don’t see why anybody cares that I care. To each his own.

PS I enjoy tales told about passengers by the crew as much as anybody else. And I'm sure I'm on somebody's story list out there, somewhere...:eek:

Archived