Best footwear for sightseeing??

CUTTERSAM

I would recommend you look at Merrills or something from Born.

I just bought a pair of Born "Villa" shoes from Zappos.com. I am in love with these shoes...leather, wide toe box (no rubbing); absorbent footbeds (removable for washing if required); can wear with or without socks; they are a Mary Jane style and have cutouts for air circulation. Have bought Borns and like them a lot...Merrills are also very supportive. Good luck.

Look at "chosenone" on Easy Spirit website. It's a closed canvas espadrille that would look okay with capris. They come in a few colors, too. Good luck.

Thank you, packed&ready (and 4friends) for your suggestions. The chosenones look really nice. Are the soles thick enough for the cobbled streets?

You are very welcome. The soles look thick enough but you can always call the customer service and they will find out. I have problems with my soles. I feel everything! Every shoes falls off my heels. I'm lucky to find one that is not a tied shoe, I'm not a narrow either. What a pain! lol

Bon Voyage

I had knee problems and foot problems galore. I Invested...yes...invested. in a pair of MBT (http://www.zappos.com/MBT).

They were recommended to me by a friend with MS onset problems.

They are an absolute treasure, helps knees, and foot balance and just the perfect sole. I now own two pairs and they will last me a very very long time.

Nora, I am ready to buy Merrill shoes and wondered which style you had that fit well and don't rub any blisters. I am looking at "Sundial Parade" and also "Agave". Thanks for any info you can provide before I buy either of these.

Barbara

All of the shoes mentioned are wonderful depending on what your particular foot needs. I swear by my Mephisto light hiking boots. Great for long days of sightseeing, walking and standing. They are 9 years old and have been resoled once.

The most important thing in travel no matter what brand you pick is that you think of your feet and back and not so much "great style."

And dont be afraid to wear sock if you wear sandles. They may help you avoid blisters and you will look very European.

There's an old saying that if you feet don't feel good, nothing feels good. It really hit home to me in my 20's, I saw my husbands partners wife in San Francisco. This very elegant lady was wearing a beautiful Chanel suit, and on her feet, sneakers. She said who cares, my feet are comfortable. I take along my black laced Ecco walkers shoes, not too klunky, a pair of Ecco sandals, great arch, my back would go out without it, and if touring a site like Pompeii, good old sneakers, also with good arch and support. You've already received lots of good ideas from this board and as you've seen, everyone has a favorite or two. I'm sure you'll find a pair or two or three that you love. Walk around in them at home just to make sure that they're comfortable. Have a wonderful "footloose" time on your cruise. I always bring more shoes than I need, but sometimes after doing a long walk you just need to change your shoes. That was for my husband who always wants to know why I need so many shoes. Have a wonderful time and if you get the right shoes, you won't have to think of your feet again.

Joan

I have Merrels and eccos and agree with the reccomendations, they are great.

I also have a couple pairs of Teva sandals that I adore. Someone on the fashion board here reccomended them awhile back and I decided to give them a try. I have one that's pretty and comfortable that works for cobblestones and such, and one ugly but comfortable and great for rough terrain (ruins etc), that are the best I've found for site seeing in hot weather when you don't want a closed hot shoe. Expensive, but if you keep looking for sales on these brands you can often find them for a decent price.

I had a pair of easy spirits a few years back that wore out very quickly, I may have to give them another shot after all the reccomendations here though.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/27527153/c/6.html

I did have to "break in" the heel for a few days, but nothing a little moleskin or bandaid didn't cover. Last spring I broke both bones in my ankle (skiing) as well as my hip (darn kids on snowboards!) and these shoes are still my favorites for walking. I think that says quite a bit about the comfort level!

On Zappos many complain of blisters from the J41s.. was this your experience at all?

I took some J-41s on my trip to Egypt (lots of walking). I thought they were broken in, but they were not comfortable for a long day. Heavy on the foot without being very comfortable. They were definitely rubbing in some spots but no blisters because I used some silicone.

They also did not hold up that well looks-wise. I probably won't try them again. BUT not everyone's feet are the same....

Last year I bought a pair of Clarks for a Baltic cruise. When I tried them on in the store, they felt like butter on my feet. I found these shoes in the late afternoon and I had been walking for a few hours in this outlet center. I wore them at home for a few weeks to break them in. I declared that this would be my touring shoe. By the second day of the cruise, I could not get them on my feet. I had heel blisters and swelling. Fortunately I had a back-up pair of shoes that took me the rest of the way. I also had knee problems which I think contributed to the swelling and think the long flight added to the problem. I'm not blaming Clarks, it was all me.

I can wear these same shoes comfortably at home, but I don't think they will go with me to the Med. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if any of these brands can do the trick, but I'm not taking any chance if they don't come in a wide width!

I agree that flip flops do not belong in Europe. The cobblestones and uneven surfaces can really make you weary in the wrong shoes.

Nora, I am ready to buy Merrill shoes and wondered which style you had that fit well and don't rub any blisters. I am looking at "Sundial Parade" and also "Agave". Thanks for any info you can provide before I buy either of these.

Barbara

I chose the Merrell Siennas and the San Remos. Both were very comfortable but as i said, not THE most comfortable of all of my sandals but they were cute and perfect for what I used them for. I didnt try the Agave sandals but i have to say...read the comments on the website about each style. I have found, and I have tried on at least 100 pairs from there....that the comments are usually very accurate. I always looked at how much wear time was needed right out of the box to feel comfortable. If i had to break them in, then they werent for me. I find that many of my clarks, merrells, and easy spirits needed little time to get used to. Good luck finding the right shoes. I know how important and streessful it can be so you arent uncomfortable in some of the most glorious places on earth.

Nora

I have to put a quick vote in here for Birkenstocks........the standard old two strap sandal. When my feet get tired and need to breathe, it's the birkies I drag out of the suitcase. I also love LL Bean summer sneakers........they are very comfortable, but lightweight for warm days.

And, yes, I will put the socks on with my Birks on cool days!:cool:

• 2 months later...

My Think! sandals are my newest find. I used to wear only Mephisto Helen sandals because they stay on your feet and work well no matter the terrain. Last summer I tried Think! and I love them, the same cork bed, same strappy look but in places that actually hold your sho to your feet for hours and hours of wandering on vacation. I have one black and one brown pair and leave most of my other shoes at home, since these will work for day or night.

Archived