Tragedy on the Star

Postman1963

My DW and I just had a fantastic week long cruise on the Star to Mexico ending today. Sadly, yesterday, there were two passengers who had to be airlifted off the ship. One person (I heard) had a broken hip due to a fall. The other person had suffered from a subdural hematoma. Alltogether there were four landings on the Star by coast Guard helicopters.

Postman1963

I was on the Spirit recently (Oct - Nov '08) and had to get some stitches. While in the Medical Clinic, they were dealing your local authorities regarding a pax who needed to be hospitalized. The ship was in the Honduras. Before the hospital would admit, or even treat him, they wanted $3,000 US cash. The couple did not have that much cash, not that high a limit on their credit card. They did have trip insurance, but that required them to pay the bill(s) first and then get reimberesed from the trip insurance company. ... I never did find out what the out come was.

Rich

Luckily, we've never had to use trip insurance (purchased for every cruise). But, in the event of injury or illness, the insurance is there and we always carry one credit card with us that either has no limit or an extremely high limit so that in the event that cash would be required, we could do a cash advance.

I've read numerous times on these forums that the big ticket ($$$) can be medical evacuation and we tend to purchase policies that offer high $$ benefits.

My DW and I just had a fantastic week long cruise on the Star to Mexico ending today. Sadly, yesterday, there were two passengers who had to be airlifted off the ship. One person (I heard) had a broken hip due to a fall. The other person had suffered from a subdural hematoma. Alltogether there were four landings on the Star by coast Guard helicopters.

Postman1963

Did you ever hear what happened with the rescue at sea on that same trip? I heard that the sailboat had been taking in water and put out a distress call and we were the closest ship in the vicinity. We watched from our balcony.

I was on that sailing too. The CD said at the show on the last night that the rescue at sea had gone well. He said that they responded to a distress call on Monday night near Cabo. There was one man on the sailboat and the rescued him, gave him dinner and a warm shower and room for the night. The man disembarked in Mazatlan and was going home to Puerto Vallarta.

Paul, the CD, said they hadn't had any updated information about the people airlifted but he hoped they were doing fine.

Luckily, we've never had to use trip insurance (purchased for every cruise). But, in the event of injury or illness, the insurance is there and we always carry one credit card with us that either has no limit or an extremely high limit so that in the event that cash would be required, we could do a cash advance.

I've read numerous times on these forums that the big ticket ($$$) can be medical evacuation and we tend to purchase policies that offer high $$ benefits.

For our last three cruises we have done the same thing, purchased Travel Medical Insurance, even though our primary health insurance will cover all emergency medical treatments, both foreign and domestic, even emergency medical evacs. However the Travel Medical Insurance is so reasonably priced that it is worth it to us if we ever have to use it as secondary medical insurance. We have never had to pay more than $30.00 for Doug and $50.00 for me for a 7 day cruise so, even though we hope we never have to use it, it's a small price to pay.

Taking a high limit or no limit credit card is a MUST as most of the care you get will have to be paid for in advance, even the emergency evac, if I am not mistaken. And that can easily be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Speaking of trouble at sea, does anyone know which ship is / or was stuck in the ice in the St. Lawerence seaway? I heard it on the news yesterday ro the day before. THere was an ice cutter, a cruise ship and several otehr boats were stranded. Who the hell would cruise the St. Lawerence seaway on January?

Sandy

I was on the Spirit recently (Oct - Nov '08) and had to get some stitches. While in the Medical Clinic, they were dealing your local authorities regarding a pax who needed to be hospitalized. The ship was in the Honduras. Before the hospital would admit, or even treat him, they wanted $3,000 US cash. The couple did not have that much cash, not that high a limit on their credit card. They did have trip insurance, but that required them to pay the bill(s) first and then get reimberesed from the trip insurance company. ... I never did find out what the out come was.

Rich

We were in St Martin several years ago and I broke my foot. Yes, we had to pay upfront and collect from our insurance when we returned to the states. I think, depending on what type of travel insurance you have, it might be possible to get around this somehow. I hope I do not ever have to find out.

These cases the OP referred to, at least were being air lifted, probably back the US soil lets hope. And lets hope they are all doing fine..

We had a couple at our church recently that did not have travel insurance, he had to be air lifted, $35000.00 later he realized how important travel insurance can be.

Nita

OK, hold the phone; am I missing something. Is Trip Insurance the same as Trip Medical Insurance? Are these one in the same or different insurance. thanks....bob pic

Most travel insurance has a few different components of coverage:

--trip cancellation and interruption

--lost/delayed luggage

--coverage for missed connections, etc.

--medical - including dental, emergency evacuation

--life insurance

--vendor default (but only when not purchased directly through the cruise line!!)

...and so on. Although I have only purchased comprehensive insurance with most of the above, you might be able to purchase some of the pieces separately, but I am not sure.

You might want to check out www.insuremytrip.com and browse the offerings from some of the major insurers around to see what most packages have included.

As far as I know, travel medical coverage (which is thus, well "out of network"!!) requires pre-payment to the medical facility or supplier and then filing a claim with the insurance company for reimbursement.

Speaking of trouble at sea, does anyone know which ship is / or was stuck in the ice in the St. Lawerence seaway? I heard it on the news yesterday ro the day before. THere was an ice cutter, a cruise ship and several otehr boats were stranded. Who the hell would cruise the St. Lawerence seaway on January?

Sandy

According to the Montreal Gazette, it was the CTMA-Vacancier. Of all things, they were taking a cruise to go skiing. LOL! They seem to be having a grand old time, anyway... can't move? Party time! it sounds like they're mobile again... no time stamp on the article I found, so I don't know when it was posted.

I live close enough to Canada that it was on the local news this morning, too. The anchorman joked that they could have just cross-country skied across the ice. :D

I agree completely!!

I can afford to lose the entire cost of the trip. Although painful, it won't break me, or even a few hundred of extra expenses (meds, travel etc.). What I can't afford without affecting my current standard of living would be thousands or tens of thousands for the medical evacuation from a ship.

I think that most require that you pay up front and get reimbursed. Although, some guarantee payment so that it you don't have all the money up front, you still will get the necessary medical treatment/evacuation. I think it depends on the policy.

If you get medical insurance, or just travel insurance, make sure that the medical insurance you get is primary. Go to insuremytrip.com and they have several that the medical insurance is primary. We just got back from a 14 cruise from South America and had to have one person airlifted off the ship. We also had a distress call in the Straits of Magellan and had to turn around and go back 4 hours to help the 140 person man ship. All turned out well but we had to miss one of our ports. But that was fine with everyone. The guy that got airlifted off I hear is doing fine.

Just FYI. Check on your medical insurance you have in the states and it will probably cover things out of the country, but you have to pay for it in full first and then get reimbursed. I would not be able to come up with $35,000 up front and then get the reimbursement so from now on we always get the medical insurance that is primary. FYI:)

If you get medical insurance, or just travel insurance, make sure that the medical insurance you get is primary. Go to insuremytrip.com and they have several that the medical insurance is primary. We just got back from a 14 cruise from South America and had to have one person airlifted off the ship. We also had a distress call in the Straits of Magellan and had to turn around and go back 4 hours to help the 140 person man ship. All turned out well but we had to miss one of our ports. But that was fine with everyone. The guy that got airlifted off I hear is doing fine.

Just FYI. Check on your medical insurance you have in the states and it will probably cover things out of the country, but you have to pay for it in full first and then get reimbursed. I would not be able to come up with $35,000 up front and then get the reimbursement so from now on we always get the medical insurance that is primary. FYI:)

tripinsurancestore.com has a FAQ that discusses the primary and secondary coverage situation. Like you, I always previously shopped for travel insurance with primary coverage.

Based on my memory I think one instance where secondary coverage is advantageous is when your own insurance has a high deductible and when the medical bills are higher than the travel insurance purchased. For example, if you incur $30,000 in medical bills and your travel insurance purchased only covers up to $25,000 and you need to file with your own insurance for the remainder $5000 and you have a deductible of $500, you would be out the $500 deductible. If the travel insurance is secondary, after you make a claim with your own insurance, the travel insurance will cover the remainder INCLUDING your deductible up to the full $25,000, so potentially your OOP will be $0.

So, each case will be different.

I still like to choose a travel insurance that has primary coverage because of the convenience of not having to file a claim with my own insurance at all. But will pick one with secondary coverage if the price is lower or the same but the coverage amounts are substantially higher. For example, if the premiums are the same, and the travel insurance with primary coverage is $25k med and $50k evac and the one with secondary coverage is $50k and $250k evac, I will choose the one with secondary coverage.

Do your own research, call and ask if you are unsure. Pick one that you can afford with coverages that you are comfortable with.

BON VOYAGE and safe travels to everyone!!

Postman1963

We were curious as to why the helicopter was circling the ship several times and then landed again. Any insight?

Archived