Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

We did an awful lot of research before we bought ours - the only place we could get it with the 6 cell battery was at Amazon. Other places were willing to sell us the battery "in addition", for an extra $105 - but we sure didn't want two batteries.

Now that we've been playing with it for a couple of days, we like it even more. And it really DOES fit in my purse. Amazing!

The packing slip says:

Acer Aspire One AOA150-1126 8.9-Inch Netbook

1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM,

160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery

I got White because it was $20 less, for a total of $329.

No tax, No shipping. What a deal!

Oops - I weighed it myself. 2 pounds 4 ounces.

Thanks, Donna. When I went on line to Amazon just now, I saw that the blue which costs the $20 extra isn't available yet anyway. Now, I just have to convince DH I "need" this as a retirement/ birthday present.

you can also go to best buy dot com and find many fun colors there also,

RuthC & sail7seas, Ruth thank you for the information, it's a help.

After I left the store I thought about the battery size. Went to Staples homepage for the info. There it said that it's a 3 size battery. There was a coupon place one could click (I didn't.) that mentioned a $60 rebate. :)

Donna, I notice that the model you ordered isn't the same as the one Sail mentioned in her first post. DO you have any idea what the difference is between the two or is it just the color?

Gosh, I have no idea. It was the only one I was able to find at Amazon. I would think you're looking at the same thing if the specs match up. I'm no expert - I just happen to love this little guy.

I just ordered a Blue Acer Aspire 8.9" with 6 cell battery from Amazon. It's in stock, price is $329 and free shipping. (I wasn't charged sales tax.) :)

Can't wait to get it.

Got tired of running around to the stores and was delighted to find exactly what I want from Amazon.

Thanks everyone for helping with this decision. I appreciate it. :)

I went to the local Costco where after telling me they had it, I was delighted:mad: to find out they meant they had it in a different store. I might go back later to try the key board. It's only the 3 cell battery but I really wanted to try the keyboard. All they had where I went was one HP. I'll wind up at Amazon too and hope they have some left.

OK. I ordered one too and made sure it's the 6 cell. Unfortunately, in NY we have to pay tax. Now I can't wait to get it. It does come with microsoft office. What fun! :D

Sadly, that MS Office is only free for a limited time, after which they want you to activate and pay for it. I was surprised, yet not surprised. That is, unless you paid extra to have the full or home version.

Have you discovered openoffice.org yet? Totally compatible programs, and free. It's from Sun Systems. I like it just fine.

Thanks for that info, Donna. I'll have to look into open office. Now that I have my computer, I need to book a cruise. Sam says this CC board is costring him. First an ipod, then new luggage and now this mini computer.:D

You GO GIRL !!! Book that cruise !!! :):)

Fred gave me an HP Mini for Christmas and I brought it on the cruise. It was awesome...I have no idea what kind of battery it has though. I'll take a look when I get a chance. The girls in the Front Office and the Internet guy fell in love with it!

Have you discovered openoffice.org yet? Totally compatible programs, and free. It's from Sun Systems. I like it just fine.
Open Office is terrific and great for use on a mini-computer when you don't want to load a huge memory hogger such as MS Office. I loaded just Outlook on mine and downloaded Open Office to be able to read and write Office-compatible documents. Works like a charm. I got an email a week ago about a new version.

We did an awful lot of research before we bought ours - the only place we could get it with the 6 cell battery was at Amazon. Other places were willing to sell us the battery "in addition", for an extra $105 - but we sure didn't want two batteries.

Now that we've been playing with it for a couple of days, we like it even more. And it really DOES fit in my purse. Amazing!

I was so excited to see this thread! I've had the Acer 3-cell in my Amazon shopping basket for a couple of weeks and the 6-cell is just $30 more so it's worth paying the extra. Love the free shipping, no tax feature with Amazon.

Question, Donna ... is there a lot of fan noise? When I was researching the Acer I read a lot of reviews saying the fan noise was terrible. There was even a YouTube video with the noise. Maybe they've fixed this?

Another question ... has anyone used this Acer with Wifi? I'm curious if the wireless card is powerful enough on ships, in airports, other Wifi areas.

Thanks!

you only do simply stuff; surf the web, text editing, powerpoint, excel or such. Also fine for downloading and looking at pictures.

If you start running games, do any serious graphics like photoshop expect things to slow down. The have limited memory and have limited graphics capability.

But for a light easy to take on vacation mobile computer they can't be beat! Be sure you are happy with the smaller keypad and much smaller screen.

Be warned the battery life is like early EPA mileage. THey are ONLY useful for comparing various models. Expect if you have the model with HD that battery life will run 50-70% of stated life. The numbers posted assume you turn the screen down, don't access the HDD, and likely don't have wifi on either. Still 4 hours and only 3 lbs ain't bad ;)

Everyone should buy 2 or 3 to help the economy :D

Loaded with Google's Picasa 3 photo editing software. It handled storing and

basic editing of 1200 Nikon D 300 j.pgs passing quite adequately.

It has a bright LED screen (10.2) and a very satisfying long battery life. It has a 6 cell Li-ion battery that lasts a looong time.

That was last month. My hubby just read of an upgraded ASUS netbook that

plays back HD video and has an even longer run time for only $400.

We bought our Samsung NC-10 from New Egg and love our netbook. Ours weighs 2 lbs and is easy to tote around. I really like the screen as it is bright, clear, and has a matte finish. Oh, and the Samsung also has a great keyboard. As a life long typist, my fingers fly effortlessly on it despite its

more compact size.

We don't miss the CD-ROM drive. We transfer our movies from our desktop via a thumb drive. Having loads of movies available to watch on the plane and our cruises has been so nice.

If anyone has doubts about this netbook, read the numerous reviews on Amazon.:D

... Question, Donna ... is there a lot of fan noise? When I was researching the Acer I read a lot of reviews saying the fan noise was terrible. There was even a YouTube video with the noise. Maybe they've fixed this? ...

Gosh, I didn't notice any noise at all. Either they fixed it or my hearing is finally gone. :)

Question, Donna ... is there a lot of fan noise? When I was researching the Acer I read a lot of reviews saying the fan noise was terrible. There was even a YouTube video with the noise. Maybe they've fixed this?

Another question ... has anyone used this Acer with Wifi? I'm curious if the wireless card is powerful enough on ships, in airports, other Wifi areas.

Thanks!

I have one - never noticed any fan noise, even though I have read some complaints about it also.

The wifi card is great. I've used it in hotels, airports, hospital - it's never failed to connect. Haven't tried it on a ship yet.

My only complaint is the volume is very low on the speakers for some reason. You really have to strain to hear it at times, especially if there is background noise. Has anyone else had this problem? I've adjusted the volume on both the control panel as well as on the netbook keyboard to no avail.

Also, I have an external CD/DVD drive that I use to load software onto it.

Archived