Buy Your Wine Cards Now, if you want one

LolaLemon

Interesting. I just got off the phone with Guest Services and they said there have been no announcements that the wine card would be discontinued. They said it was not on the new order form because they have so many items but you just have to ask. Any thoughts from anyone? :confused::confused::confused:

Interesting. I just got off the phone with Guest Services and they said there have been no announcements that the wine card would be discontinued. They said it was not on the new order form because they have so many items but you just have to ask. Any thoughts from anyone? :confused::confused::confused:

The typeface on the order form is not particularly small. They could have fitted it if they really wanted to. ;)

The rep advised me you can't buy them online anymore :eek::eek:because these cards are going away in favor of something else.

Interesting.

Wonder if HAL might be planning to offer some sort of "all inclusive" deal with regard to wine? I've heard of that sort of thing on some cruise lines and maybe HAL is going that route? Some sort of a card that entitles the owner to unlimited pours of house wine?

Interesting possibility, huh?

Blue skies ...

--rita

This topic has come up before and--as I recall--somebody said they were told by HAL that they're switching to a "universal" beverage card...basically a stored-value or pre-paid type of card. My hope is that you will get a discount or bonus amount (for example, buy for $80 get $100 in credit) or something like that so that your still getting some kind of "deal" to purchase in advance. I have to think it would be something like that, otherwise, what would be the point of even keeping the card (I mean, maybe to regulate what your kids purchase)? Because even in a gift type situation the person could simply purchase a shipboard credit.

That would also be good in that I doubt a "universal" card would expire at the end of the voyage, as the current ones do.

I've always purchased signature cocktail cards, but wonder if I'd be willing to do that anymore. HAL offers that two-fer deal in several bars and lounges at night now, and since you can't use the "discounted" card for the twofer offers, it really doesn't do me much good anymore. I generally drink mostly at the cocktail hour, and even if I have to pay full price for the first drink, it is still cheaper to get two for that amount of money.

But a prepaid type of card for all beverages ... one that never expires as long as you have credit on it ... now that could be a great deal! Plus I like the idea that you can use it for ALL of your beverage needs ... specialty coffees, soda, liquor, wine and beer!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yup...Wine cards, Signature cocktail cards, and coffee cards are off the web site, but are still available for purchase through Guest Services (1-800-541-1576).

Wine cards...10 pour-$41.40....20 pour-$77.63

Cocktail cards...10-$64.69

Coffee cards...10-$29.90

Just spoke with them.

Kevin

I am leaving on a carribean cruise in March. I don't anticipate the ports of call having much bottled wine. Does anyone know of a place in Fort Lauderdale, near the ships, where wine could be purchased to bring on board ?

I am leaving on a carribean cruise in March. I don't anticipate the ports of call having much bottled wine. Does anyone know of a place in Fort Lauderdale, near the ships, where wine could be purchased to bring on board ?

Discussed here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=912113

The best place for (and finding the answers to) questions like this is always going to be the appropriate forum.

Also, I am now holding partiallly used , wine, soda, coffee, & cocktail cards!!! I am sailing on Feb. 3rd and plan on using them!!! I have done this on other Hal cruises and no problem!! Is this a new rule!:confused:

If they deny the use of these cards you can bet I will be asking for a ship board credit for the unused portions!!!:mad:

Thanks for everyones info and help.

Karen;)

Just don't tell anyone you brought the partially used cards from a previous cruise and the bartenders onboard won't be the wiser. Of course, if the cards only have a couple of punches left, I'd probably wait until at least half way through the sailing before I began using them.

I have a friend who always keeps her partially used cards and just continues using them on her next cruise. Those cards are not in any way dated, and unless HAL makes some major changes in their design, then the bartenders will have no idea you brought them from an earlier cruise.

But ... I have a feeling if the first post in this thread is correct, they're gonna be receiving a major design change and that will effectively render your old cards useless. :( And I doubt you'll be able to get any shipboard credit for them ... since the cards are advertised as only being good for the current cruise. Personally, if I were you ... and if I had any friends taking a cruise on HAL in the immediate future, I'd just give the partially used cards to them to enjoy. Better than letting them go to waste.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Are the cocktail card only used for "bar" liquor or can they be used for all brands?

Thanks

They're for anything listed as a "signature" cocktail ... something like 50 drinks. If it is possible to get those drinks in the dining room too (I honestly don't know) ... then you can use it there as well ... or in the Lido.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Question: don't they charge a "corkage fee" when you bring on wine??

Any way around this?

Open in the cabin? We'd like to enjoy the wine at dinner.

Also, I am now holding partiallly used , wine, soda, coffee, & cocktail cards!!! I am sailing on Feb. 3rd and plan on using them!!! I have done this on other Hal cruises and no problem!! Is this a new rule!:confused:

If they deny the use of these cards you can bet I will be asking for a ship board credit for the unused portions!!!:mad:

Thanks for everyones info and help.

Karen;)

looks like you are already on the ship so anything I say won't help you, to others, you can drink wine in your cabin, no corkage fee, can and should you take that opened wine bottle into the dining room? NO, I do not know if they would charge you a fee but it would be really tacky.......A glass may not be as bad, but the bottle, wow!!!!

The question of if the card is going away and when just depends on who you get on the line. I just talked to guest services and ordered my wine card. She said the wine card is going away but she is not sure when...she asked on Monday with no answer. She said that it is being replaced by the $50 beverage card but did not know if it would actually be worth more. Example, buy it for $50 and get $60 worth of beverages. Beverage card would be valid for wine, soda, water, beer, etc... So does this mean the cocktail card is going away?????? Any cards ordered prior to the discontinuation of this package would be honored.

This is terrible news, and i can only hope something replaces it that I will use because no way will I or any one in our group have as much wine if paying full price...not a chance.:cool:

one of the best things about HAL is bringing your own wine on board and those wonderful little wine cards. Now I will have to call our cruise friends tonight with this news and its like calling about the death of a friend....got the Docs, got the wine card lets go....i am now really depressed, wheres my chai?

This is terrible news, and i can only hope something replaces it that I will use because no way will I or any one in our group have as much wine if paying full price...not a chance.:cool:

one of the best things about HAL is bringing your own wine on board and those wonderful little wine cards. Now I will have to call our cruise friends tonight with this news and its like calling about the death of a friend....got the Docs, got the wine card lets go....i am now really depressed, wheres my chai?

What a crock!

OK, just to add a bit to the confusion...

Looking at the current value in using the cards, shows that a truley universal beverage card is likely to result in you paying more for certain types of drinks... Here is the deal we get now:

1 20-pour wine card @ $77.63 comes to: $3.88/glass

1 10-drink signature cocktail card @ $64.69 comes to: $6.47/cocktail

1 10-drink explorations coffee card @ $29.90 comes to: $2.99/coffee

1 20-drink soda card @ $20.79 comes to $1.04/soda

Now lets say they try to combine just the wine and cocktail cards and they average out the price difference and charge $5.00/drink (10 drink card for $50). You are getting a deal if you drink mostly cocktails and are getting hosed if you are a wine drinker... If they are going to include sodas and coffee, there is no way they could use the current type of fixed qty/card system.

I don't see how this could possibly be good news unless they do something like give you a certain $ amount on the card and offer special pricing (varying % discount off full price) when you use your card specific to the type of drink you are buying... That could work but I think it would confuse some people.

JMHO,

Don

...and just for the record I called ship services and bought:

1-20 pour wine card

2-20 drink soda cards

3-10 drink cocktail cards

1-20 drink coffee card

for our October cruise to Hawaii and was told if they change the card system, that I would have the choice of converting to whatever new system they come up with or just keep the cards I ordered.

I'm fairly certain it will be a stored value card of some kind, that will give a discount from standard drink prices. But those prices will almost certainly be higher than those the current cards offer.

Easier for the customer from the perspective of needing to only carry the one card for whichever beverages they desire. But vastly more difficult for the customer to keep track of how much value is left on the card, assuming different prices for different kinds of beverages. Though perhaps that's the whole point.

It's been a while since I've been on a HAL ship & am going to the Mexican Riviera this March. Have read this thread about drink cards. I know it can vary according to what quality one orders, but what is the general price of a glass of wine or a Manhattan cocktail? Want to decide if a card should be purchased. Thanks. :)

It's been a while since I've been on a HAL ship & am going to the Mexican Riviera this March. Have read this thread about drink cards. I know it can vary according to what quality one orders, but what is the general price of a glass of wine or a Manhattan cocktail? Want to decide if a card should be purchased. Thanks. :)

I can't help you with Manhattan's, but the price of a glass of wine is $4.50. (At least that was the price on the Ryndam last month.) So the 20 drink wine card saves you all of 62 cents per glass.

As an aside, I'm simply amazed at the gnashing of teeth and the "woe is me" sentiments about this issue over such a small amount of change.

I can't help you with Manhattan's, but the price of a glass of wine is $4.50. (At least that was the price on the Ryndam last month.) So the 20 drink wine card saves you all of 62 cents per glass.

As an aside, I'm simply amazed at the gnashing of teeth and the "woe is me" sentiments about this issue over such a small amount of change.

Are you completely sure? I was under the impression that a glass of wine was closer to $6.

Edit: Yep, from another thread. Post by HALleluiah in December:

"I was just cleaning out my carry on and found receipts from my last cruise in June. It looks like I paid $6.50 for a glass of wine. Now.... Looking at the wine card, it looks to me if you buy it you are paying half the price. True? Was I drinking a more expensive wine than covered by the card? I can't imagine I was. I like good wine, but I'm also willing to make monetary sacrifices here and there. I'm sure I chose the cheapest. I think it was the Woodbridge."

Are you completely sure? I was under the impression that a glass of wine was closer to $6.

Edit: Yep, from another thread. Post by HALleluiah in December:

"I was just cleaning out my carry on and found receipts from my last cruise in June. It looks like I paid $6.50 for a glass of wine. Now.... Looking at the wine card, it looks to me if you buy it you are paying half the price. True? Was I drinking a more expensive wine than covered by the card? I can't imagine I was. I like good wine, but I'm also willing to make monetary sacrifices here and there. I'm sure I chose the cheapest. I think it was the Woodbridge."

Yes, I am absolutely positive. With the wine card you are limited to certain house pours. Those particular wines are exactly $4.50/glass.

Archived