Buy Your Wine Cards Now, if you want one

LolaLemon

I just called ship services because I was unable to purchase my 20 pour wine card through the HAL website. :eek:

The rep advised me you can't buy them online anymore :eek::eek:because these cards are going away in favor of something else. She advised me to buy mine now if I wanted one for my sailing next Friday. She didn't say the price was going up, but I got that impression. I asked if I could buy one onboard. She said I could if they were still available.

Just FYI!

I am planning to bring some of my own wine onboard for stateroom enjoyment. I tend to drink a very dry red. I will probably end up bringing something that is palatable to both my husband (prefers Pinot Noir) and me (a Dolcetto would be heaven)... maybe a Dynamite Cabernet. I am no wine snob and I am sure the house red will be fine for dinner... but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of a nice glass of good wine before bed sometimes. :)

Hmmmm...I knew something was up since they were off the onboard gift section. I still have one from my last cruise that I was planning on using in Feb. Hope they still are selling them.

Well, either way, you could probably still use it. Mine is sailing on 2/8 and if I'm getting one to use through my sailing, I don't see why you couldn't use yours on a 2/12 sailing!

I don't know about wine cards, but the soda and drink cards expire at the end of the voyage.

We tried to use one from an earlier cruise ( as we had done before)and the staff politely pointed out the fine print on the back which did state that it was void at voyage's end.

I wonder what they will be replacing them with?

This topic has come up before and--as I recall--somebody said they were told by HAL that they're switching to a "universal" beverage card...basically a stored-value or pre-paid type of card. My hope is that you will get a discount or bonus amount (for example, buy for $80 get $100 in credit) or something like that so that your still getting some kind of "deal" to purchase in advance. I have to think it would be something like that, otherwise, what would be the point of even keeping the card (I mean, maybe to regulate what your kids purchase)? Because even in a gift type situation the person could simply purchase a shipboard credit.

If it's not clear whether or not they'll still be valid by June Pam, how about you send it to me (or I could pick it up, I'm only in Garden Grove) and I'll try to use it on our cruise.

If I'm succesful, I'll pay you for what we've used (probably whatever is left on the card - we do like a glass of wine with dinnner). Then you don't need to worry about it.

Did you get the 10 pour card or the 20?

I just called ship services because I was unable to purchase my 20 pour wine card through the HAL website. :eek:

The rep advised me you can't buy them online anymore :eek::eek:because these cards are going away in favor of something else. She advised me to buy mine now if I wanted one for my sailing next Friday. She didn't say the price was going up, but I got that impression. I asked if I could buy one onboard. She said I could if they were still available.

Just FYI!

I am planning to bring some of my own wine onboard for stateroom enjoyment. I tend to drink a very dry red. I will probably end up bringing something that is palatable to both my husband (prefers Pinot Noir) and me (a Dolcetto would be heaven)... maybe a Dynamite Cabernet. I am no wine snob and I am sure the house red will be fine for dinner... but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of a nice glass of good wine before bed sometimes. :)

good advise, you are probably right about the price going up or it being totally discontinued. NCL has a wine program at one time, but it has gone to heaven or somewhere. They will get us any way they can...Suck is life and regardless life is good.

Nita

Somewhere at HAL headquarters is a young MBA trying to nickel and dime the passengers until they surrender and cruise with someone else. I have a cost reduction idea.

We got a card through ship services.

Sailing 2/17 on the Zuiderdam.

I bought a wine card via phone through ship services for a May 9 cruise. I would think that HA would have to honor any card they sold. Maybe they will stop selling them, but if you have purchased them to be in your stateroom when arriving I would think they would honor that no matter when you are sailing.--In other words, if they sell you a wine card for a specific sailing, then they should honor it. I can not imagine a problem.

It is a good deal, so I would buy them while you can. I did have them e-mail me a receipt so I have proof I bought them.

First time cruiser with HAL (Alaska, Ryndam, 3 July) and first "real" cruise. I thought we couldn't bring our own wine on board. Is there a way to bring our own wine on? Just pack it in our luggage?

You can bring on as much wine as you want.

Get a case if you'd like. You don't even have to pack it. You can just put it right through the xray and carry it onto the ship. Or, pack it in your luggage (or tag the case) and have the porters bring it to your room.

Happy drinking.

Hmm.. I find this confusing. I called and ordered without any problem, and my cruise isn't until May. Actually I asked the rep about the confusion and comments online about these cards, (ie one card for all, and the recent cards and the lack of web site info). I was told that the all in one card was tried and not successful, therefore they changed it back to separate cards, and would remain that way. As to the lack of prices on their web site (IMHO is a useless site) she told me it was due to products not being offered or prices being changed. Will be interesting to see what info is correct.

Guest teach53

Question: don't they charge a "corkage fee" when you bring on wine??

Any way around this?

Open in the cabin? We'd like to enjoy the wine at dinner.

Also, I am now holding partiallly used , wine, soda, coffee, & cocktail cards!!! I am sailing on Feb. 3rd and plan on using them!!! I have done this on other Hal cruises and no problem!! Is this a new rule!:confused:

If they deny the use of these cards you can bet I will be asking for a ship board credit for the unused portions!!!:mad:

Thanks for everyones info and help.

Karen;)

Any way around this?

Also, I am now holding partiallly used , wine, soda, coffee, & cocktail cards!!! I am sailing on Feb. 3rd and plan on using them!!! I have done this on other Hal cruises and no problem!! Is this a new rule!:confused:

If they deny the use of these cards you can bet I will be asking for a ship board credit for the unused portions!!!:mad:

Karen;)

They charge a $15 corkage fee in the dining room. However, a lot of waiters waive this (so I have experienced and so I am told).

Regarding the cards, good luck using them. You will probably be able to use them. However, I doubt you'll get any credit if you aren't able to use them. They are supposed to be good for one voyage only. Some people said the back of the card indicates this. I don't have one, so I am just going on what I have heard.

Any way around this?

Karen;)

I really think that HA will honor their wine cards. They are still selling them via phone and our trip is in May. We bring wine on board for our stateroom and then use the wine cards at dinner --so no corkage fee. We plan on buying some italian wine in Rome to start the trip and then supplement with local wines at other ports. No hassle and we can try some new wines from regions we don't usually buy in the US. I think folks are getting unnecessarily worried, but I would call and buy ahead in case the cards are not available on board when you sail. Remember we are all using HA for a reason.

We plan on buying some italian wine in Rome to start the trip and then supplement with local wines at other ports. No hassle and we can try some new wines from regions we don't usually buy in the US.

Yum!!! Have fun!

Archived