Good books to read while on a cruise

DBG258RTR

I like really light reading for cruises. I collect what some would probably refer to as "chick lit" (not romance or Danielle Steel; but close) and save it for the cruises.

This time I borrowed 3 audio books and have downloaded them onto my I-Pod. I will zone out by the pool and let someone else read my book to me. :cool:

I read daily. I bring several books with me when on vacation and I've been known to buy more in the gift shops when I've finished the ones I've brought with me. I'm seriously thinking of bringing a bag full of old paperbacks to leave on the ship when we sail in a few weeks.

To those of you who leave books behind in the ship's library, or set them free in ports, etc, please check out www.bookcrossing.com You can register and label your books, and then future readers can journal it's journey. I "bookcrossed" about 10 books on the Caribbean Princess (NY to Canada) last year, and 4 months later, one of the books was journaled by a finder who picked up the book on Rhapsody of the Seas in Asia/Australia and took it home to the UK with her.

After cruising, bookcrossing is my favorite hobby!!!

We start with 6 to 10 paperbacks when we leave home. These are for the flights, which are often intercontinental, with long layovers. While on the ship we use the library for reading material.

We have been reading a number of books by Stephen Frey. They are mysteries involving high finance and the stock market.

I've recently downloaded additional Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta series) books to my Sony reader, plus Tom Clancy has finally agreed to allow his books to be offered electronically, so I downloaded several of his.

Also love Cornwell, but Really LOVE Patterson.. I always bring a book if I can, although through the library on the Explorer I read the several Father Dowling Mysteries that were on board...a very easy read.

Nothing like a lounge on the deck, a "drink of the day" in my hand and a good book......AHHHH my idea of cruising, I don't care if I never go into port!:p

You are SO right! On our first cruise we were on the Celebrity Summit and I 'found' the wonderful padded, teak lounge chairs in the Solarium Pool area. I took a wonderful swim in that GREAT pool and then went to the Spa Café and got a large glass of iced tea. Sat in one of those lovely lounge chairs that face a wall of glass, where you see nothing but the beautiful Caribbean slipping by! No kids allowed so it was SO peaceful! I sat there the whole afternoon reading! I told me DH that if he was looking for me the rest of the cruise that was where I would be! I was glad I had taken 4 books with me. I always take new books with me and then leave them to the library so I do not have to take them home:D

When on vacation, I like to read books that do not require a lot of thinking and are funny. The Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella are wonderful. On my last cruise I read When You Start Looking Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home by Erma Bombeck and Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys. Both of those had me laughing out loud.

• 4 years later...

[quote name=editor@cruisecritic;18067060

If you have a hankering for books that are cruise-related' date=' check out our book story. It's time for an update but all the recommendations still stand (there's a blend, fun reads, serious stuff, kids' books). It's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=307.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic[/quote]

I would like to nominate my favorite cruise novel,

MICHAEL ONDATJE's. THE CATS TABLE, a coming of age sailing adventure of three boys travelling from Sri Lanka to England.

If you enjoy Hiaasen, you'll like Flash Mob by Robert O'Connell. It's a mystery, but with the comedy and quirky characters you might find in a Hiaasen story.

Carl Hiaasen is really fun. Always a great read. One truly laugh-out-loud book is Christopher Moore's "Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal", (which should only be read by those not easily offended and with a sense of humor about Christian history). One of my all-time favorites.