Crossings gone as we knew them

CruiserKit

:( It is so dissapointing that Seabourn has deceided not to have crossings on the small ships. That is what so many of us have known and loved for many years. With only 200 passangers on board, you got to know more people and become long time friends. The intamacy of the small three sister ships was always like coming home. You knew the crew and they knew you. You knew many of the passangers and they knew you.

Now the only crossings will be on the two new ships. It will never be the same. I am only thankful that I did as many crossings as I did.

I just posted a similiar feeling on another thread. 450 passengers on an "intimate" crossing? I think not! Wipe out the formal nights and what are we left with?? NOTHING SPECIAL! :(

Host Dan

Kit

You expressed what many of us are feeling ~~the Legend and the Pride Transatlantic Crossings were so very special. And, no, on a ship crossing with 450 guests, there will not be the camaraderie or the extraordinary fellowship that we had on the Yachts! These same sailor's would some years book the 2 weeks before or after the Crossings ~~(for Seabourn,quite a bit of certainity revenue each crossing)

I will simply start looking for another cruise line that cross's the ocean. Maybe even getting a group together ~~

Martita B.

If you think trivia was brutal on the triplet crossings, can you imagine trivia on the big sister ships?? No fun....

Host Dan

PS I guess Lion and Bear nappings are out as well.. Can't involve several hundred more passengers...

I think we all have to face reality about the triplets which is that they have a few more years before they're taken out of service for Seabourn. SB will have to assign the three new ships to its most popular (and some say boring to frequent sailors) itineraries and has probably decided to get a leg up on that. Using the triplets for more exotic itineraries now while they can might not be such a bad idea, plus it's probably less wear and tear on the old ladies not to cross the Atlantic twice a year. (I could be wrong on that, just guessing.)

I loved the crossings on the Legend but I plan to keep an open mind. The Odyssey won't be the same but it might be just as much fun in its own way.

I hope your right. But I don't see how having 450 passangers can compare to 200. Especially on the crossing. Like Hostdan said, can you imagine Trivia??? There probably won't be trivia. And if there is, it couldn't take place in the King Olav Lounge. Our dear Legend Captain Gere, Eric, Michelle... it will all change. So sad as far as I am concerned.

This is very sad news! Even though I have had had many wonderful experiences on cruises in different parts of the world, from Vietnam to Macchu Pichu, the crossings have always been special and I made more friends on the crossings than other cruises. Unfortunately, it looks like my Seabourn days may be over or, at least, suspended for some time, having just been told my job is being made redundant afer 32 years with the company. It is a great shame I will not be able to introduce Patricia to the wonders of a crossing on the Pride or Legend.

This is very sad news! Even though I have had had many wonderful experiences on cruises in different parts of the world, from Vietnam to Macchu Pichu, the crossings have always been special and I made more friends on the crossings than other cruises. Unfortunately, it looks like my Seabourn days may be over or, at least, suspended for some time, having just been told my job is being made redundant afer 32 years with the company. It is a great shame I will not be able to introduce Patricia to the wonders of a crossing on the Pride or Legend.

Norm, I am so sorry to hear that your company is joining too many others with bad news. All around us, people are scrambling to readjust to these difficult times. You are a very talented and dedicated man, you will hopefully find a better situation for yourself...their loss. Lola

I'm sorry as well, Norm.

As for trivia, I have played it on the QM2, on Silversea and although different because there are more people it is still fun. No, 450 passengers won't be the same as 200, but I still say let's see how it works before writing things off. It's not like we didn't know the triplets would one day be gone.

It is truly sad that there will be no more crossings on the Legend. We have longtime, life long friends from these cruises .. with the most fun and entertainment .. and we are so thankful to have been part of something so special as these intimate crossings on the yachts. And especially with Captain G-A - these were the best! Perhaps the head office doesn't understand how much these cruises meant to their very loyal passengers! Obviously they don't care!

It is truly sad that there will be no more crossings on the Legend. We have longtime, life long friends from these cruises .. with the most fun and entertainment .. and we are so thankful to have been part of something so special as these intimate crossings on the yachts. And especially with Captain G-A - these were the best! Perhaps the head office doesn't understand how much these cruises meant to their very loyal passengers! Obviously they don't care!

Hi Carol!

Everybody is talking like it is all over already! As far as we are concerned, we look forward to our upcoming Legend crossing with capt. Geir-Arne on April 3 and are looking at next year's April crossing. That is two more (since we will be doing the November Spirit crossing; fingers (yes, and toers!) crossed. You see, it is all about crossing!

Have a nice day all!

Marja

Marja, Ceejay, Dan, et al

I am happy all of you will have 2 more Legend TA Crossings ~~

And Geir-Arne being at the helm in April will be icing on the cake!

You will enjoy a most special, grand and magical time together.

As to we Pride-ful Crossing sailor's our March 18th will be "The Last Hurrah!":( Literally, a Swan's Song ~~! I have visited with some of the regular Crossing Pride Sailor's and we have decided not to try and recreate our good times in March 2010 on the Spirit.

So many of us will not be booking.

Enjoy each moment with one another in April ~~ and Nov.

Smooth seas and always blue skies above the Legend :p

Martita B.

As a solo cruiser, I feel fortunate to have bookings for the remaining 3 Legend crossings, albeit them at wildly variable supplement percentages(!). Since two r/t tickets covering April & Nov. '09 were so much more affordable than one, my Nov. is "locked" in, so to speak. I'll have to ponder the April '10 sailing as I don't have another t/a booked later that year. (Maybe that will have to be my time to try the "new build", errh, the Odyssey...:eek: )

Paul ;)

As a solo cruiser, I feel fortunate to have bookings for the remaining 3 Legend crossings, albeit them at wildly variable supplement percentages(!). Since two r/t tickets covering April & Nov. '09 were so much more affordable than one, my Nov. is "locked" in, so to speak. I'll have to ponder the April '10 sailing as I don't have another t/a booked later that year. (Maybe that will have to be my time to try the "new build", errh, the Odyssey...:eek: )

Paul ;)

Paul,

I am so envious that you are on the "last" Legend crossings... Maybe I'll use my onboard 5% discount to join you on one of those... I find it so sad that Legend and her sisters are going to ports that will be almost impossible to get to for US passengers. It might open up possibilities for other folks, in other parts of the world. (maybe a reason for doing away with the dress code as we know it?) I hate to think of Legend ending up with a "sloppy" crowd aboard... Kind of like Regent Diamond becoming a gambling ship... Sad..

Host Dan

I am sure the Odyssey Maiden Transatlantic Crossing will be a special time for many of us. Perhaps it won't be the experience of the smaller ships of Seabourn but I look forward to sailing with those that I know and those that I've sailed with ~~and those that I haven't met. Quite a few CCer's will be aboard. Sailor's that want to come and meet in Malaga on Oct. 30th for cocktails and "Tapas" might plan to have "CC" get together aboard the ship.

Perhaps a "new day is dawning....."and we'll continue to enjoy our TA Seabourn Crossings.

MB

Paul,

I am so envious that you are on the "last" Legend crossings... Maybe I'll use my onboard 5% discount to join you on one of those...

Well...you definitely should! (I can't imagine a total of 4 Legend crossings without the chance to meet Host Dan on board! :) )

I am sure the Odyssey Maiden Transatlantic Crossing will be a special time for many of us. ...Perhaps a "new day is dawning....."and we'll continue to enjoy our TA Seabourn Crossings.

I have a feeling you're right, Ms. M...and we'll one day look back at the 200+ passenger ships so very fondly...and probably be thankful we can still choose a ship with "only" 450 guests. (At least, I hope so! :eek::D )

Paul ;)

Norm, let me also say how sorry I am.Normally I would say that given your prowess in photography now might be a time to make a career change to photo journalism -- but if newspaper readership in the U.K. has diminished as much as in the states there is not likely to be much of a future in that field.

While I am not a crossing aficionado I do feel sorry for those of you that enjoyed it so much that this is another bad decision on the part of Seabourn. Do you think they feel the larger ships are more able to handle the rough waters that you sometimes experienced?

Martita,

We had posted much earlier that we will be on the Odyssey crossing and can't wait to meet you. However, we are embarking on October 17th so will not be able to jump ship and get to your Malaga meeting. Thank you for considering a get together on the ship when you and the others join us.

Best to you and the others and enjoy your next Seabourn trip.

Deanna

Deanna

We'll miss you at the pre-cocktails/Tapas evening but you'll be having a much more exciting night than we will ~~:p

Let's plan on a CC cocktail party early on the Crossing. I think Vitor Alves will be the Hotel manager and I'm sure he will be more than happy to arrange the party. Before Oct. we'll start a roll call as to who will be interested in attending. I believe we have quite a few CCer's that have booked.

Martita B.

Indeed it would! "Make it so"! Keep me posted...you've got my email addy!

Paul ;)

who's crossing his fingers with a smile!

René and I hope to see you all on the Legend in April 2009 ànd April 2010!

Changing to the Spirit in November, because we (read: I) would like to spend some time on that ship too. "Visit" our crew friends on that ship too, not having sailed with them for a while. Though maybe not many of them will still be there with all the new crew! But one must have done a "Spirit Crossing" once!

Marja

René and I hope to see you all on the Legend in April 2009 ànd April 2010!

Marja

Ah, yes, Marja! I know you & René will "make it so" too!

It looks like my meeting up with other triplet crew favorites will have to wait until I make it to the Odyssey. (There...I've said it without "preliminary" comments!)

Less than 2 months now....:eek: :D

Paul ;)

SO THE LAST TRANSATLANTIC ON THE LEGEND WILL BE APRIL 2010

I WILL BOOK IT NOW - THERE IS GOOD AVAILABILITY - BUT I AM SURE IT WILL BE SOLD OUT VERY SOON.

LOOK ON THE POSITIVE SIDE THIS WILL BE A SPECIAL ONE !!

Trevor and Elaine

Archived