Ruby food question.

hazenumber1

We are first timers and just received out "Cruise Answer Book" from Princess. We will be on the Ruby on Feb 21. I have read some threads about the specialty restaurants and that you have to pay extra. In the book there are restaurant that they say "cover charge" such as Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Sterling Steakhouse, Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse. Also "nominal charge" Patisserie, International Cafe, Vines Wine and Seafood Bar. Just what is the price of "cover charge" and "nominal"? Can anyone tell me? Also are these restaurants worth the extra charge?

We are first timers and just received out "Cruise Answer Book" from Princess. We will be on the Ruby on Feb 21. I have read some threads about the specialty restaurants and that you have to pay extra. In the book there are restaurant that they say "cover charge" such as Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Sterling Steakhouse, Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse. Also "nominal charge" Patisserie, International Cafe, Vines Wine and Seafood Bar. Just what is the price of "cover charge" and "nominal"? Can anyone tell me? Also are these restaurants worth the extra charge?

The Ruby has Sabatini's at $20 PP

and the Crown Grill $25 PP with a $9 upcharge for the larger lobster tails and live Maine choices.

The Crown Grill is the best.

International Cafe has most items during morning and lunch hours for free. Gelato is not free, but runs around $3 for three scoops. They also have tapas/appetizers in the late afternoon and evening for a small charge. In the morning hours they have various pasteries (fresh & oh so good) and the coffee bar is next to it. Once you try it, you'll be back. During lunch they have chicken salad, shrimp salad, some sandwiches and quiches, all for free and very good. They also have a chocolate fondue with fruit (not free, I think it was $5 or $10). Any items at the International Cafe that have a cost are marked.

Vines Wine Bar & Seafood is where you can sample wine per glass or a whole bottle. The costs vary. They also have sushi there (excellent) for a reasonable cost.

I agree with Colo Cruiser, Crown Grille is the best of the two speciality eaterys. Not saying Sabatini's is bad (actually very good quality Italian food). I always felt Sabatini's was over the top in the volume of food, but it seems they have scaled it back some lately.

...I always felt Sabatini's was over the top in the volume of food, but it seems they have scaled it back some lately.

On the Ruby, Princess made a conscious decision to make the quantity smaller. But you can always get more if you ask for it. They waste less food that way. I like it that! I am not shy about asking for more!!:D

And I LOVE Sabatini's. They sun dried tomatoes and anchovies are soooo good! I always ask for more of both of those!!

Definitely worthe extra money. But I make sure that we don't eat ANYTHING after 1pm on the day we go there!!

To the OP --- let me just add,to the excellent responses above, that not all the specialty restaurants on your list are on the Ruby (that list covers the possibilities on all Princess ships.) There is no Bayou Steakhouse, no Sterling Steakhouse---- Crown Grill is an upgraded version of those. You will find all of the others on your list when you sail the Ruby. As to whether it is worth it, that is subjective, of course, and you can get many different opinions on these boards! We were on the Ruby 1/17 cruise, we ate at both Sabbatini's and the Crown Grill and enjoyed both. The menus will be posted outside each restaurant when you board, that may help you make up your mind. We also --- for free--- sampled many of the breakfast pastries and lunch items at the International Cafe, had the themed lunch buffet at Cafe Caribe, and tried the Pub LUnch on a seaday in the Wheelhouse. Try the afternoon cakes and pastries in the International Cafe (also free), I thought they were the best desserts on the ship.

International Cafe has most items during morning and lunch hours for free. Gelato is not free, but runs around $3 for three scoops. They also have tapas/appetizers in the late afternoon and evening for a small charge. In the morning hours they have various pasteries (fresh & oh so good) and the coffee bar is next to it. Once you try it, you'll be back. During lunch they have chicken salad, shrimp salad, some sandwiches and quiches, all for free and very good. They also have a chocolate fondue with fruit (not free, I think it was $5 or $10). Any items at the International Cafe that have a cost are marked.

Vines Wine Bar & Seafood is where you can sample wine per glass or a whole bottle. The costs vary. They also have sushi there (excellent) for a reasonable cost.

I agree with Colo Cruiser, Crown Grille is the best of the two speciality eaterys. Not saying Sabatini's is bad (actually very good quality Italian food). I always felt Sabatini's was over the top in the volume of food, but it seems they have scaled it back some lately.

Gelato is 3 scoops for $1.50. Tapas are $3.00 for 3 pieces.

Just off the Ruby. We ate twice at Crown Grill, seemed like the first night service was a bit off so tried again. I think we just somehow ended up with two newer waiters each night so service was just ok. In fact the first night a table of officers were behind us & they were getting better service then us. I always order steaks Medium rare Pittsburg style. The first night it was perfect, the second night had to send it back. Don't get me wrong it was good just not very consistent especially with the waitstaff. We were on The Valor in September & actually preffered The Supper Club food & service in Scarlett's.

We also went to Sabatini's. Last year on the CB my DH was not crazy about it so he basically only went again because I wanted to. This year we were blown away. Service & food were incredible. Our waiter was Alessandro & assistant was `Jose. They were both mind readers with the selections they brought to us for each course. Sabatini's was really a pleasant surprise. We are truly red meat eaters & the wnderful experience here was totally unexpected.

We are first timers and just received out "Cruise Answer Book" from Princess. We will be on the Ruby on Feb 21. I have read some threads about the specialty restaurants and that you have to pay extra. In the book there are restaurant that they say "cover charge" such as Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Sterling Steakhouse, Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse. Also "nominal charge" Patisserie, International Cafe, Vines Wine and Seafood Bar. Just what is the price of "cover charge" and "nominal"? Can anyone tell me? Also are these restaurants worth the extra charge?[/quote]

We dined at the Crown Grill on Emerald. The food was great, service was so/so and the price was OK. It all depends on how you view these things, but we had a difficult time paying $50 plus tip for dinner when we could have ate for free in the dining room.

Just off the Ruby. We ate twice at Crown Grill, seemed like the first night service was a bit off so tried again. I think we just somehow ended up with two newer waiters each night so service was just ok. In fact the first night a table of officers were behind us & they were getting better service then us. I always order steaks Medium rare Pittsburg style. The first night it was perfect, the second night had to send it back. Don't get me wrong it was good just not very consistent especially with the waitstaff. We were on The Valor in September & actually preffered The Supper Club food & service in Scarlett's.

We also went to Sabatini's. Last year on the CB my DH was not crazy about it so he basically only went again because I wanted to. This year we were blown away. Service & food were incredible. Our waiter was Alessandro & assistant was `Jose. They were both mind readers with the selections they brought to us for each course. Sabatini's was really a pleasant surprise. We are truly red meat eaters & the wnderful experience here was totally unexpected.

I have to agree with what you have said. I was on the Ruby and tried both specialty restaurants. I thought the Crown Grill was ok and Sabatini's was absolutely the most wonderful experience. Other than the Chef's Table, it was the best meal of the cruise. I only wished I had saved room for the main course as the Veal Chop (the entree I chose) was to die for. I had tried Sabatini's on the Diamond and was not impressed. So I was absolutely surprised at what an enjoyable experience it was on the Ruby!:p

Gelato is 3 scoops for $1.50.

Although it is better than the ice cream they serve in the dr it can't compare to gelato I've had off the ship.

I have to agree with what you have said. I was on the Ruby and tried both specialty restaurants. I thought the Crown Grill was ok and Sabatini's was absolutely the most wonderful experience. Other than the Chef's Table, it was the best meal of the cruise. I only wished I had saved room for the main course as the Veal Chop (the entree I chose) was to die for. I had tried Sabatini's on the Diamond and was not impressed. So I was absolutely surprised at what an enjoyable experience it was on the Ruby!:p

We ate at Sabatini's on the Emerald & thought it was great & then we ate on the Ruby & found it only so-so & not worth the extra cost. We also had the veal & found it only slightly better quality than eating in the DR. The length of the meal was over two hours 15 minutes & could have been served in 45 minutes. They make a big production serving each individual course which my wife & I both found to be minuscule in size. Until they really increase the quantity & service we'll be saving our money & eating the regular food with the masses.

On our last cruise (the Emerald Oct 2008) we ate at the Crown Grill twice because it was SO outstanding. The service was incredible and much faster than the DR. You can order AS MANY of each item as you want. If you want ALL of the desserts, they will bring you a sample tray of all items. Just ASK!! $25 for the most fabulous steaks - better than Ruth Chris! This was on the Emerald - don't know about the Ruby - guess we'll find out April 18!!

On our last cruise (the Emerald Oct 2008) we ate at the Crown Grill twice because it was SO outstanding. The service was incredible and much faster than the DR. You can order AS MANY of each item as you want. If you want ALL of the desserts, they will bring you a sample tray of all items. Just ASK!! $25 for the most fabulous steaks - better than Ruth Chris! This was on the Emerald - don't know about the Ruby - guess we'll find out April 18!!

Lovespositano...We were on the Emerald in November and had dinner in the Crown Grill..thought it was wonderful. We are also on the Ruby for the TA in April..and will again go to Crown Grill. Also for such a long cruise we will go to Sabatini's..the location for that restaurant is glorious as well as the bar area. Look forward to meeting you.

A

Apart from the 1st night on Ruby we ate every night at either of the Two main dining rooms, we decided not to try out the other 2, apart from Breakfast at Sabatini`s which was included as part of the deal with having a suite... we both enjoyed the Breakfast very much. Having read varying reports on the other two from Good to Bad and inbetween we again will stick to the two main dining rooms come this November again on the Ruby.

Archived