Anchorage to Sewhe ard - Bus or Train

Cruise To Relax

Hi - would like a little help. We have a bus transfer from Anchorage to Seward to get on our HA cruise (we are staying the night before our cruise in Anchorage). They are offering an upgrade to the train and was wondering if it is worth it. Would like to hear from anybody who had done this before on either the bus or the train and any problems. Thanks for your help.

I would take the train. It's slower, but the scenery is beautiful and you can get up and walk around (and outside) which makes for more enjoyable travel, IMO. We rode the opposite direction and were amazed at how many glaciers and waterfalls we saw.

We've driven and taken the train between Anchorage and Seward. I would definitely recommend the train over the bus. Since you're arriving the night before your cruise, you could cancel the HAL transfer and take the regular morning train to Seward at 6:45 a.m. from the downtown depot for $75/pp. That gives you some time to explore Seward or go on a 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding your ship.

We've driven and taken the train between Anchorage and Seward. I would definitely recommend the train over the bus. Since you're arriving the night before your cruise, you could cancel the HAL transfer and take the regular morning train to Seward at 6:45 a.m. from the downtown depot for $75/pp. That gives you some time to explore Seward or go on a 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding your ship.

This is what I recommend also. Seward has a lot to do. As mentioned the Kenai Fjords cruise would be a great option. Or you could visit the Sealife Center and/or Exit Glacier. Don't rush to get on your ship when you have so much available to see in Seward.

In my opinion it is a BIG mistake to consider cruise transfers with this. They leave too early from Anchorage for much of any touring, and arrive too late in Seward. FAR better is for you to take the Alaska RR, booked YOURSELF direct and get yourself into Seward early enough for you to take advantage at being there. It is a GEM of an area with many excellent activities to consider. I never recommend anyone be in a rush to get on a ship here, enjoy your short time with a touring add on.

My top choice is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, FAR superior for wildlife and glacier viewing compared to your cruise ship. Exit Glacier is excellent, Seavey's Sled Dog attraction, Godwin's helicopter tours, Alaska Sealife Center, etc etc etc. Perhaps think about making the most of your short time?? http://www.seward.com

How far is the Seward train station from the port?

It is possible to the have the cruise line pick you up from the train station?

It's about a 1500 foot walk down a paved side street with a sidewalk and little to no traffic. Very walkable, but could be a drag if you have tons of luggage, or it's raining. :)

Archived