rum runners for air travel

cruisinCLT

I've used mine, put them unmarked in checked luggage and they've made it fine.
Did you ever get one of the TSA "This bag has been examined" notes when you had full rum runners?

Just to be sure I'd leave a note stating that the flasks contain alcohol. If you have time between your flight and cruise I'd leave the alcohol in it's original sealed bottle until you arrive in your port city and then transfer the alcohol to the rum runner flasks.

We will be flying in a day before but there isn't a liquor store by our hotel so that's why I was just going to buy the liquor at home and try to pack it in my rum runners but just wasn't sure it they would make it to FLL. I might give it a try and see what happens

I work for TSA- the rum runners should be fine in checked luggage. Unlabeled liquid (possibly hazardous) would be more of an issue in carry-on luggage (but not necessarily a deal breaker), but since passengers have no access to checked luggage, it will not be much of a problem.

Knowing how luggage is handled at airports (and by how many entities including TSA, airlines and contractors) however, I would be primarily concerned with the possibility of spillage. Make sure you pack it as suggested (not completely full), to prevent bursting. As others have suggested, I would also put it in some sort of bag to reduce the damage should there be any spillage. Hope this helps!

I was going to use my rum runners to put my alcohol in and then put it in my checked luggage. Will TSA take it because of security issues or will it be ok if I just label it vodka.

I am surprised that there is not a problem with using these, since TSA has no way of knowing what the proof is. Alcohol over 140 proof (70%) is banned in checked luggage. Seems like a security flaw to me. I would suggest you label the flask and also provide the proof, even though they would still be taking your word for it that it is not grain alcohol. If you can keep it in the original container, that would be a good way to show them it is legit, but make sure you pack it carefully.

I work for TSA- the rum runners should be fine in checked luggage. Unlabeled liquid (possibly hazardous) would be more of an issue in carry-on luggage (but not necessarily a deal breaker), but since passengers have no access to checked luggage, it will not be much of a problem.

I am confused. You are only allowed 3 ounces of liquid. Obviously too small of an amount of liquor to even bother with. Were you talking about a different type of unlabeled liquid?

It is important that everyone realize that you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT attempt to smuggle rum runners (with liquor in them) through TSA security. That'd be a good way to evacuate an airport. ;)

Here is a good site explaining the rules:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

It is perfectly ok to use rum runners in your checked luggage. The restrictions Thirsty is referencing are for carry-on luggage only, not checked luggage. The TSA does restrict the proof of alcohol transported by aircraft. I believe the cutoff is above 140 proof (70% alcohol). Check the TSA website for specifics.

Here some more info I found

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

No you SHOULD put them in your checked luggage - anything over 3 oz/1 baggie rule is not allowed in carryon luggage!

It is perfectly ok to use rum runners in your checked luggage. The restrictions Thirsty is referencing are for carry-on luggage only, not checked luggage. The TSA does restrict the proof of alcohol transported by aircraft. I believe the cutoff is above 140 proof (70% alcohol). Check the TSA website for specifics.

You are not understanding my post. The point that I am making is that TSA has no way of knowing what is in the rum runners in your checked bags. It could be grain alcohol, it could be white gasoline. It seems like a pretty big security flaw to me, allowing large (1 liter or more) quantities of unmarked liquids on an airliner in this day and age. My suggestion was to carefully pack alcohol in the original container, or at least mark the flask with what is in it and what the proof is. There is no regulation that I am aware of that prevents you from using rum runners in your checked bags, and everyone on this thread is saying that they have had bags checked with them with no problems, but I think it would be considerate of you to at least mark what is in them. JMO, but I think we should all be more vigilant about things like this.

TSA could just open a rum runner and check what the contents are. I assume they could do so with any container labeled or otherwise. Why would TSA accept at face value what a label says? I think it is the containers with the wires and detonators that TSA really wants to investigate.

TSA could just open a rum runner and check what the contents are. I assume they could do so with any container labeled or otherwise. Why would TSA accept at face value what a label says? I think it is the containers with the wires and detonators that TSA really wants to investigate.

Not sure how they would do that, but I agree that there should be no reason for them to believe what the label says either.

As far as detonators, I am not too sure. There must be a reason why they prohibit high proof alcohol even in checked bags.

My whole point was merely speculation on why they would allow unmarked bags of flammable liquid in checked bags. Rum runners are allowed, it just seems odd to me.

Personally, I will pack my liquor in carefully wrapped bottles, or just wait until I land and buy them pre-cruise.

I'm not privy to TSA methods so I have no idea how one item is determined ok to load and another is rejected. Since we both agree a label isn't a secure method for making such a determination, why would an unlabeled package unsettle you and a labeled package not?

So glad I found this post - I was trying to remember what those flasks were called and I couldn't for the life of me think of the name! Not sure what I'm going to do yet though as far as taking it with me - I agree that it seems sketchy that they would allow all that flammable unmarked liquid on an airplane.

Archived