Reassure me! Booked on first Carnival cruise

Tamhugh

Ok, I need some reassurance here. We just booked an 8 night cruise on the Legend for 6/22. We will be traveling with our two sons (ages 15 and 11) and my parents. We have been on three RCI crusies in the past and I am worried that we won't enjoy Carnival as much. Our agent is awesome, and she assured us that the Legend is the closest that we will find to the Voyager class ships. We were sold on the price of this cruise vs the Voyager, as well as the itinerary and the departure port. Have any of you done this cruise yet that can make me feel confident about the decision?

Tammy

Tammy...I'm eager to read the responses to your post. We have sailed RCCL 4 times, 3 times on Explorer of the Seas. We are currently booked on Valor which is making it's maiden voyage next month. We are taking a CC group cruise in June. We also switched due to the high prices of RCCL for next summer. We got a great group rate and onboard credits for each cabin. We will have a 16 and 13 year old with us. While they love the Voyager class ships, they didn't take advantage of the rock wll, skating, etc after the first cruise. They just want a place to hang out and eat for free whenever they want!! They will miss Johnny Rockets!

Not sure which itinerary the Legend will be on in June, but as far as the ship, yep, you're going to enjoy it! The decor will be more glitzy, but other than that I think you'll find much of the things that you like about on RCI to be equal or better on Carnival.

I've been on the Legend out of NY and had a great time 2 years ago. We did the AOS out of San Juan and were not impressed. Food on the AOS was fair at best and usually warm and not hot. Much preferred the Legend food, service and other items. I preferred the Spirit class ship layout over the Voyager class. The AOS was a pretty ship but the novelty wore off. Entertainment was better on the Legend. The Lido restaurant on the Legend offered so much variety that we were never lacking for something to eat. I am sure you will love the Carnival Legend.

wow, the prices of Royal really are causing people to look else where. Carnival is supposed to be doing the same price fixing with the new year. Then what?

ITs like buying a car. Its great to be able to shop prices, get quotes, etc. Royal took all the fun out of it with the price being the same everywhere you shop. :eek:

wow, the prices of Royal really are causing people to look else where. Carnival is supposed to be doing the same price fixing with the new year. Then what?

ITs like buying a car. Its great to be able to shop prices, get quotes, etc. Royal took all the fun out of it with the price being the same everywhere you shop. :eek:

Unless something has changed recently Carnival's new price policy that will be going into affect in January is not the same as RCI's. With RCI a TA cannot sell a cruise for less than what RCI has set. On Carnival a TA cannot advertise a price for less than what is set by Carnival. Big difference as a TA can still discount.

Ok, I need some reassurance here. We just booked an 8 night cruise on the Legend for 6/22. We will be traveling with our two sons (ages 15 and 11) and my parents. We have been on three RCI crusies in the past and I am worried that we won't enjoy Carnival as much. Our agent is awesome, and she assured us that the Legend is the closest that we will find to the Voyager class ships. We were sold on the price of this cruise vs the Voyager, as well as the itinerary and the departure port. Have any of you done this cruise yet that can make me feel confident about the decision?

Tammy

You and I are in the same boat so to speak. I am going on my first Voyager class ship in two weeks after cruising with Carnival many times and I am looking forward to it but I can tell you without a doubt that the Legend is a great ship. I sailed on her two years ago to the southern Caribbean. You have made a great choice IMHO.

We have always sailed with Celebrity..but the prices are getting too high, and now they aren't allowing the discounting anymore...My DH wants to do the Miracle next year, but I am unsure...I always loved Celebrity's food, service, etc. I took a Carnival Cruise back in '88 and it was horrible..Anyone who can compare it to Celebrity??

We have always sailed with Celebrity..but the prices are getting too high, and now they aren't allowing the discounting anymore...My DH wants to do the Miracle next year, but I am unsure...I always loved Celebrity's food, service, etc. I took a Carnival Cruise back in '88 and it was horrible..Anyone who can compare it to Celebrity??
1988 was a looooooooooong time ago. Things have changed

I took my first RCI cruise on the Mariner this past September after several Carnival cruises. There are some things I though RCI did better but I'd book Carnival over RCI anytime...unless RCI was considerably less for the same itinerary. The food on Carnival was much better. The energy level of the ship just seemed to be a little higher. I think you'll enjoy the Legend.

Went last year on the Pride; first Carnival trip in a while; it was simply mediocre. It could not compare to the Zenith, Horizon, Galaxy or Century cruises I have taken. The worst Celebrity cruise is 10 times better than the best Carnival Cruise (Carnival ships sailed Jubilee, Holiday, Inspiration, Ecstacy and Pride).

Went last year on the Pride; first Carnival trip in a while; it was simply mediocre. It could not compare to the Zenith, Horizon, Galaxy or Century cruises I have taken. The worst Celebrity cruise is 10 times better than the best Carnival Cruise (Carnival ships sailed Jubilee, Holiday, Inspiration, Ecstacy and Pride).

Tell us why then.....everyone always says one is worse than the other, but no one ever gives points of fact.....let's hear it guys!

Carnival:

Pride - Embarkation was a mess of 2 hours; room steward was adequate; decor gaudy; public rooms not well designed (prefer them on higher decks), food ok the first two nights then went downhill along with dining room service. No enthusiasm from the crew (Jublilee although smaller and older had a better crew). Overpriced excursions.

Jubilee / Holiday - probably the best Carival Ships I have been on based on the crews that could. However food was very average and ships needed updating although clean.

Inspiration - one of the worst ships I have ever been on in terms of everything; crew, entertainment, food poor. Only good thing about the trip was the itinerary Tulum and Jamaica were highlights.

Ecstasy - it was free so I did not expect much - was not disappointed

Celebrity:

Century Highlights (back to back e/w caribbean) - great service with excellent food and wine at a wonderful two top table. Cabin upgrade with complimentary wine and canapes after the first leg. I had hurt my back on shore and found that onboard medical staff professional and caring.

Zenith - Panama Canal - great trip and resourceful management. Due to a strike there was a problem completing provisioning in San Diego - they took on supplies in each port to make up for it and the food was as good as ever.

Galaxy - Baltic - upgraded to balcony, great itinerary, bar and wine service especially good. Sat at the Captains table. White nights magnificient.

Horizon - Bermuda - although a different type of cruise (single destination) it was simply flawless.

Zenith - repo San Juan to Aruba - one of the most interesting itineraries ever.

Am booked on the Legend for 8/25/05 am looking forward to it.I sailed the RCL VOS the ship was beautiful but didn't like the food. I hear is better on the Legend. I have friends that sailed the Legend and loved the food and the ship.

Tammy

I think you made a mistake and sorry I have to say so and it is from a viewpoint of your children. The Voyager class ships are great for them. On the CCL ships there are considerably less things for them to enjoy.I have done the Pride and the Miracle on CCL and the Voyager and Explorer on RCI and I really like RCI Voyager class ships over the Spirit class of CCL. I sail more on CCL because I almost go for free all the time.

If you can sail on RCI for a similar price, think twice about CCL.

NO Basketball,dodgeball,rockclimbing,ice skating,in line skating,mini golf, or royal promenade.

Steve

You do not compare Celebrity to Carnival. Celebrity compares to RCI, Princess and NCL. You compare Celebrity to HAL. If you go on a Carnival cruise and try to compare and expect the same level of service that have you have received in the past on Celebrity then you will be disappointed for sure. They do not even target the same demographics. The ships on Carnival are going to be more crowded and the level of service is not the same for a reason.....Price!!!!!

People are now starting to see the price of cruising begin to rise once again and now Celebrity feels that they can return their pricing model back to what it should have been all along. This next comment is not directed towards Worldclasscruiser but I will NOT feel sorry for anyone that starts looking towards the less expensive cruise lines and come away disappointed because they did not receieve the same level of cruising that they have experienced on one of the premium lines. The old saying is true. You get what you pay for.

I have sailed on a Spirit class ship (Pride), a Voyager class ship (Mariner) and on Celebrity's Century so I think I can make a basic comparison between the lines.

First, let me say that we have never had a bad cruise. We would sail any of the three lines again in a heartbeat. I personally believe the only way you can be disappointed in a cruise is if you set yourself up for disappointment by prejudging, constantly comparing and focusing on the differences that you don't like.

Carnival Legend - Can't comment specifically but here's what we loved about her sister ship: Atrium was beautiful, great ship layout, wonderful open air eating area at the aft of the ship, good food (great food in specialty restaurant), good entertainment and overall "fun" factor.

RCI Mariner - Stunning ship, great children's program, excellent entertainment, mediocre food (you really had to pay attention to server's recommendations to get a good meal), excellent service, Chops restaurant had great food but mediocre atmospere. No outdoor dining. Huge number of activities.

Celebrity Century - Outstanding food, excellent service, a beautifully maintained, classy smaller ship. Passengers are a bit older but great people who know how to dress and conduct themselves. Entertainment poor, few activities. A relaxing vacation but not much "fun" factor.

Go into your Legend cruise expecting to have a good time and I'm sure you will.

quote: "Unless something has changed recently Carnival's new price policy that will be going into affect in January is not the same as RCI's. With RCI a TA cannot sell a cruise for less than what RCI has set. On Carnival a TA cannot advertise a price for less than what is set by Carnival. Big difference as a TA can still discount."

This is what we all thought would be the case with royals pricing, but it turned out differant. I hope it is not the same for Carnival.

I wouldnt even consider comparing my Celebrity cruises to Carnival. Celebrity makes you feel like the cruise is all for YOU. I know we will be lost in the crowd on Carnival, but the price is right for a "Fun"........

As far as a Anniv. or a special cruise for DH and I, Celebrity, no matter the price would have to be my choice. I think it depends on why you are taking a cruise too. Vacation? Honeymoon? Anniv.? or a Family Reunion, which is the case for my next carnival. 13_4_6.gif

We've been on the Horizon and Zenith to Bermuda and Galaxy to Alaska. Enjoyed them immensely. Great food and service on all. Guest relations was snooty and not helpful. My wife and I had returned from an excursion and walked by high tea. Not knowing what it was, I asked the asst. CD what was going on and he told me and suggested we could return if we would dress better. She was a complete b**** and very impressed with herself. Also, they had the worst kids program of all. Would I sail them again? In a heartbeat. Also, had terrible problems with plumbing and AC most of the cruise. And, Celebrity has been plagued with vibrations which would shake your teeth loose especially on the Century class. Well known problem.

Went on the Carnival Legend not expecting much and we were very pleased with everything. Food was a notch below Celebrity and service a little rushed but we were very pleased. Entertainment was far better than Celebrity and AOS but AOS did have some unique features such as the ice show and parade but their stage prodictions were on a par with Celebrity. Our Legend cabin was spacious, everything worked and it was impecably clean. Our experience was so positive that we booked the Pride next year.

We absolutely loved Disney Magic western Caribbean. Food was good and service terrific. Cabin was superior and the twin bathrooms were very handy. Entertainment was the best but I am a Disney junky. And, believe it or not, I felt it had the most interesting adult activities. Never bored. But, it was very expensive. Worth it to me but expensive.

Other experiences include the Norway which was the worst experience ever and we did that cruise because I had been on the France as a teen and I wanted to relive the memory. Nothing could compare with that experience. I sould have stuck with the memories.

Every cruise line has something to offer. Go with an open mind and you will have a great time. And, stay away from the Celebrity boards because there is so much bashing going on. Great cruise line but the boards are a little rough.

These ships do not even have balcony staterooms!!! :eek: :rolleyes: .

Celebrity:

Zenith - Panama Canal - great trip and resourceful management. Due to a strike there was a problem completing provisioning in San Diego - they took on supplies in each port to make up for it and the food was as good as ever.

Horizon - Bermuda - although a different type of cruise (single destination) it was simply flawless.

Tammy

I'm not sure what your TA is comparing, but to say the Legend(Spirit class) is the closest thing you'll find to a Voyager class is a bit misleading. JUst the numbers tell you that:

Voyager Passengers = 3200+

Legend Passengers = 2600

Voyager length = 1020'

Legend length = 960'

Voyager beam = 157'

Legend beam = 106'

Voyager tonnage = 140,000

Legend tonnage = 88,500

You make the comparison, but IMHO, the Conquest class at 110,000 tons comes the closest. But, I still don't know that I would call them that close.

All that said, I still think you'll enjoy the Legend. Just don't look for all the kid games to keep them occupied.

Just a note about Carnival and teenagers. We went on CCL's Triumph with my son and a group of his classmates/parents. They had an absolute ball. There is always something going on at the pool area like survivor, hairy man contest, etc. There were so many activities, they did not have time to be bored. The next year the group went on a Voyager class ship, and they were all disappointed. They said there wasn't as much to do. It goes to show that the kids are not that impressed with the icing on the cake of rockwall, rollerbladding, etc. They just want more fun! And that's exactly what they will get on Carnival. I took a cruise on AOS this summer and my son (20) and girlfriend went. They also felt a lack of organized things to do on the ship. Our next cruise will be with Carnival.

Other overal comments: larger room size on Carnival; better food on Carnival both dining room and Lido deck (especially pizza!); entertainment about equal; better service on RCCL.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

We were sold on the price of this cruise vs the Voyager, as well as the itinerary and the departure port.

Tammy

Just my opinion, but your kids can probably climb a rock wall or ice skate just about anywhere. Carnival does seem to offer pricing that is a lot more attractive than Royal Caribbean. We've taken our kids on several Carnival cruises and they've always found plenty to do. Keeping the price of the cruise down will provide more money for excursions while in port. Believe me, it is those experiences while in port that your children will ultimately remember from the cruise. Enjoy!!!! :)

Archived