Who Is Going On Silver Shadow For 10 Days Leaving FLL On November 22, 2009?

cechase

If you stay at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale, make sure you get a room in the tower, not a Lanai room. The tower is central air conditioned (much nicer and quieter), while those Lanai rooms have indivdual room air condtioners which are noisy and the room itself is much less comfortable. Also, those Lanai rooms can be far away from the front desk and hotel door, a lot of walking, and really not worth the $20-40 per day savings in room rate! In December, 2007, we booked a Lanai room, but had to change to a tower room upon seeing what it was like.

Donutman,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, we will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary on this cruise.

We are staying at the Hyatt the night before so we can meet at the bar for a few adult beverages also. As the time gets closer we can set up our own meet and greet. The better half earned a 3 day cruise on Royal Carribean last month and we are looking forward to returning to the Shadow, my favorite ship.

Everyone keep in touch,

Joe

count me in too; checking in 2 days early; staying at either the new Ritz or the Pillars which seems to be highly rated.i will be on the Shadow on Aug.1st so should be able to give some updated info on the ship; p.s. on for Thanksgiving last year and they made a great hot turkey sandwich the next day ! :cool:

Well, don't forget us. 2 more and we have early embark. We will probably be there 2 days early and more than likely staying at Lago Mar. Just depends on what time of night we get to FL. We are driving from GA. I guess on early embark I'll just go up to everyone I see and ask if they are from Cruise Critic. Shy I am NOT.

I would have to go back to them because they have recatagorized a few of the rooms as they had told me they would, and it was January when I researched this thoroughly. I know some rooms are poolside and some are on the intercoastal highway, but the ones inside have different views and sizes. There is one that is very close to the lobby and isn't that big, but it it sells out quickly because it is supposed to be decorated really cute, and people like the location.

I had talked to them every day for a week at length, and I recommend doing the same or getting your agent to. Talk about square footage because they are all different, and it isn't necessarily always the bigger room that is higher, or wasn't in Jan. Also talk about view and amenities. I would want an intercoastal room myself but some might not.

Google The Pillars at River Sound to get the contact info as I am sure the link is not allowed here and get someone at the front desk and have a discussion. They are very nice people there.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this thread as a means of having something to look forward to, and again visit this great ship which my late wife and I took our last cruise on in December of 2006. She passed away on January 4, 2009. I miss her very much, but am looking forward to meeting all of the wonderful people who cruise on this ship - memories and new friends.

Well, I had to cancel my booking because on Feb. 20th. I had a serious fall, and broke five ribs and punchered a lung. My hospital stay ran from Feb. 21st. through April 23rd., and have now been home for almost three months. Twice, I was a goner, but the wonderful nurses and doctors performed a miracle.

Last week I exchanged emails with Marcia at Silversea concerning rebooking - and today as they say in The Godfather, she made me a deal that I just can not refuse. Will be traveling solo, and hope to meet all of you. Don't have my cruise number yet, but will be signing up for early boarding. You will be able to recognize me by the little oxygen concentrator that I pull around.

Hotels, my late wife and I always stayed at the Sheraton Airport hotel because it was convenient, and then on our return at the Hyatt Pier 66 - and only stay in the tower there.

Hope to chat with you.

First of all - my sincere condolences on the loss of your dear wife. I know this is not an easy time, but I hope that your voyage on the Shadow will bring back only happy memories.

The Shadow is a wonderful ship, and that should be a nice time of year to travel.

Bon Voyage!:)

There is no doubt that Silversea cruisers have real class! Thank you all for the kind comments. Just received my confirmation, and making my own air, because travel from Reno, NV to FLL is tricky.

Am about 90%, but by november should be 100%. Just think Thanksgiving in St. Thomas.

The second round will be on us. This will be our first Thanksgiving at sea, our son will be deployed in Iraq so we will have a drink for him also.

Joe

Our thanks to your son for serving his country, and god bless that he will be kept safe from all harm.

I was fooling around cruise critic this afternoon [that's what you do when you are old and retired] and found my multi-part review of our cruise on Silver Shadow in December of 2006. You may or may not be interested, but it is on Page 21, and entitled "Silver Shadow - 12/12/2006 to 12/21/2006, etc."

After reading it again, with some tears, I hope that Marlyn will be tending The Bar, and Justin is still her assistant.

Archived