What are things you forgot to take on your cruise???

All my electronics/appliances are dual voltage so I bring along a European adaptor and use the 220 outlets in the cabin when I need an extra. My cell phone works both as an alarm clock and flashlight. I bring a crossbody PacSafe handbag or backpack for toting stuff (water bottle, camera, rain poncho, collapsible cane - left knee hanging on by a thead). PacSafes are slash-proof and extremely tamper resistant. DH used to wear a money belt so I bought one for myself but I'll have to try it out before I commit to it.

Have a good friend whose wife wanted to help him pack for a 3 week cruise. As husband's have been known to do, he said "I can do it myself!" He ended up packing the Goodwill donation rather than his clothes!! :eek: We're cruising with them again this Novemember; we've never let him live that down.:D

Walkie talkies - Europe uses different frequencies, in some places US walkie talkies would be not be good to use. On the ship it is very easy to leave voicemail for other cabins or leave notes. One thing we found on a large group family cruise, when you are looking for someone you won't find them, just wandering around you'll see them all over the place.

Take a face cloth or two and some baggies. Great for day trips; moisten the cloths in the morning before your tour and you can enjoy a nice refreshing face wipe at any time.

I am an old Girl Guide so I usually have all the bases covered however on our Med. cruise in 2007, I wished I had pick up a couple of plastic collapsing fans (handheld and operated) at the dollar store. Great for creating a breeze. Plan to buy a few before we go this summer.

Kathy:)

Read everyone's remarks, all helpful. Remember to limit the amount of clothes you bring. Not necessary for so much. Bring a light jacket that folds for rain or wind; a tiny umbrella too; a few extra hangers in case; dark colored pants in case they get a spot or 2 and can wear them twice; some benadryl for itching, sunscreen, cold tabs, any allergy meds, all in small sizes as well as travel sized deodorant, toothpaste, extra conditioner(usually don't have this), extra soap, small Febreze for wrinkles($1.98 at Walmart), small Lysol (also cheap at Walmarts), layer clothes in the heat with a top and maybe a blouse over it with capris or jeans and comfy shoes like what everyone said (nikes, eccos, cole haan rubber soled, mephistos, merrills or sneaks), no heavy jackets, raincoats or the like for the summer(it gets pretty hot), an adaptor if you are staying in a European hotel after or before to charge cellphones and camera batteries (sold cheaply at AAA); Bucky pillow for my neck no matter what; must cover your knees and shoulders in holy places so bring long scarf or light sweater; men, don't wear awful short shorts, way too inappropriate and I might say so for women too; for the beach in Greece okay but not in the cities; do wear a moneybelt and make copies of each others passports and other important info you need(friends had their bags stolen in Rome and their passports too. Had to go to the embassy and a lot of money and trouble later got home). Careful of pickpockets in Italy, no kidding. They are working you in the tourist areas, so keep your cameras, money and other valuables close. We saw two gypsies posing as tourists pulling a woman's purse, got it and threw it to one another and the one that caught it got away. Don't, I repeat, don't wear valuable jewelry every day. If they see you coming, they will pull you in off the streets. We were in Mykonos, and a man came from inside a jewelry store and pulled my friend in. Had gypsies follow us down the hill on Rhodes all the way up to the bus. NO nice jewelry; wear copies if you must at all. Or, keep it in the safe onboard and wear it to dinner only. Sorry. If you have more questions about what to bring, I could go on and on. The thing is too many shoes, purses and jackets weigh the suitcase down. Think clearly and know that you can send your stuff to the laundry aboard ship too. Sometimes I rinse things out myself and no problem.

Good luck.

bjrose;)

This was perfect! Got half my list written - would have forgotten a few things without it!

Thanks

wendy

Things we forgot:

On our first cruise, my wife packed her toothbrush. But instead of packing mine, she packed our son's toothbrush.

On our next cruise, i had just bought a great straw hat. I forgot it. The funny thing is I had a second chance to get it. Less than a mile from home, my DW remembered she had forgot her prescription meds. I had to turn the car around to get them. I should have seen the hat sitting there.

Things you cannot forget---all travel documents, for instance your passport and all necessary medicines. Anything else you can probably buy a replacement or do without.

I have read on many boards to pack duct tape. So, for all our previous cruises, I packed the duct tape but never used it. I am trying to lighten things up this time and think I will forget about the duct tape. Has anyone ever had a need for it?

Even with SPF 60 sometimes I forget to reapply or miss a spot, so one of my essentials is Afterburn - the aloe stuff with lidocane. All the previous stuff mentioned is good, too - that essential little pharmacy with Motrin and Tums and something for a sore throat and Immodium - do not leave home without it. One thing I found out our last cruise - they give you Dramamine free at the pursers desk if you ask for it.

On another thread I saw someone mention moleskin for blisters - I thought that was a great idea. It is now on my packing list.

Oh, yeah, and Ziplock bags! I pack all my things that might leak in a double 2 gallon Ziplock, and bring about 4 more just in case - for damp bathing suits or bottles and the like. I have had stuff explode in my luggage - a huge bottle of shampoo one trip. I was actually able to salvage half the bottle, and the goo never even made it to the second bag!

I have read on many boards to pack duct tape. So, for all our previous cruises, I packed the duct tape but never used it. I am trying to lighten things up this time and think I will forget about the duct tape. Has anyone ever had a need for it?

I read somewhere that they sell duct tape in small flat packages (not the round rolls) that are easy to pack. Guess you are supposed to use if your suitcase explodes or a zipper breaks.

I thought it might be worth mentioning that if you are coming to Europe and buying over the counter (OTC) pharmaceuticals sometimes they are different here.

For example, not everything you can get in the USA is widely available here:

Naproxen has only been available in the UK OTC relatively recently and may not be available everywhere.

Acetaminophen is sold widely here - but in smaller quantities and under a different name - paracetemol.

Diclofenac, which I understand is an OTC drug in the US, is prescription only here, though it is available OTC in some other European countries.

Some of the formulations of the brand names are different, I buy a sleep med for the flight in the US, but the formula here is different even though the brand is the same.

If you have a need for medicine while you are over you will certainly be able to find something to do the job. However if you are a regular user of a particular product you may find that the European version is not quite the same and may wish to bring this with you.

A travel clock and a nite lite. Cabins can be dark, even oceanview.

Take underwear that's about worn out, and throw it away each day; makes room for souveniers and also a better smelling room after a few days.:p

HAL has a bagful of laundry (all you can stuff in) for a fixed amount. We tried that last trip, and liked it so well we sent a 2nd bag at cruise end. Great to get home with almost no laundry!:D

Comfortable shoes and clothes!

q: Do you need to take your passport or ID off the boat with you while in port? Do merchants need to see it? We're not planning on renting a car, but don't want to be towed off to jail because we're seeming like vagrants in a foreign country.

We always take photo ID with us when we leave the ship. Often the ship requires that you have your ship's pass plus photo ID.

Lambswool is another essential of mine. It is incredible for cushioning blisters, sore toes, bunions, etc. and weighs next to nothing.

Kathy:)

Pouchsafe to carry cash, credit card, and copy of passport while ashore

You wear it under your clothes. Tote bag to carry umbrella, windbreaker or sweater, map, tour book, and bottled water and souvenirs. (I don't carry a purse.)

My husband likes to wear a vest with lots of inner and outer pockets. He ends up with the camera and other goodies for us.

Lanyard for ship card (You can punch a hole in it.)

Spreadsheet with names and addresses for postcards

Spreadsheet with important phone numbers you can use from Europe: ship, plane, travel agent, credit card company

Tell credit card company where you are going.

International phone card if you plan to call home. (You can buy one online.)

Don't forget to have "cruise docs" with you when you board.

we use it to tape down the power strip so its not so much in the way. However before we started bringing it our suitcase broke upon arrival to cabin and our steward found some to fix it so they always prob. have some. When with a group we buy a small dry erase board for the door outside with pen so others can leave messages. Its esp. nice if they don't have postitnotes on them at time.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife & I are traveling with two other couples. One suggested walkie talkies. Would they work and are they necessary ?

We traveled this fall with 3 other couples. We set up meeting places, no walkie talkies, and it worked great. Just make sure you all have watches!

We also had an agreement, if not back by a certain time, we go back to ship. We had a fantastic trip! Enjoy!

I buy the large 2 gallon zippered plastic bags at Target and use them for packing clothes. You will be amazed at how much more stuff you can put in a suitcase when you squeeze all the air out of the bags. Also, your clothes don't get as wrinkled and if you have to open up your bags at inspection, everything will stay in its place.

I buy the large 2 gallon zippered plastic bags at Target and use them for packing clothes. You will be amazed at how much more stuff you can put in a suitcase when you squeeze all the air out of the bags. Also, your clothes don't get as wrinkled and if you have to open up your bags at inspection, everything will stay in its place.

I've been usisng this tip for the last couple of cruises. It really helps with saving space if you're using a smaller suitcase, but you still have to watch the weight. And on our last cruise through the Panama Canal I caught a cold, and had to buy some over-the-counter medication in Mexico. Their medications are not the same, and it was difficult to read the ingredients and directions in Spanish, so I would suggest taking along Nyquil or whatever you're used to having when you're sick, just in case.

Archived