What are things you forgot to take on your cruise???

My wife & I are traveling with two other couples. One suggested walkie talkies. Would they work and are they necessary ?

The devices would likely work, but (presuming they are from North America) use frequencies which are illegal in Europe.

On a related note, your cell/mobile needs to be a GSM "world" phone to work. Same reason as above, they use different frequencies over there.

We always take binoculars on our cruises. We used them a lot from our balcony arriving and departing, and we saw other ships at sea. On our Alaskan cruise we rarely left the cabin without them. We wouldn't be without them on our upcoming TA/Med. cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
we use it to tape down the power strip so its not so much in the way. However before we started bringing it our suitcase broke upon arrival to cabin and our steward found some to fix it so they always prob. have some. When with a group we buy a small dry erase board for the door outside with pen so others can leave messages. Its esp. nice if they don't have postitnotes on them at time.

What do you use to put the dry erase board on the door?

• 3 months later...

On one holiday I had packed our cases and then decided to add some items. I took out a mobile charger and my hair irons and (don't ask me how) didn't put them back.

So now I have a list of the REAL essentials and before we actually lock the cases check that they are all actually in the case and not on the chair next to the case !

Most of all - the Med cruises are very , very Port intensive so I think a big emphasis must be on comfortable sandals.

Also if you intend visiting religious sites make sure you take some thin cover up with you.

After my dh got sick in italy, and looked for a cough supressant, and was given an expectorant we have found. We bought a large pill dispencer (you know the kind with the days of the week only large sections. We label the botten with names like advil, imodium, tylenol etc. Easy to carry filled with names we know..p.s. No where but the u.s.a. Can you find pepto bismol ........and the last time we were in cairo everyone got that from the ships doctor,,,,,no telling how much $$$ it cost.

Why duct tape of course :p

We put them up with magnets....you can buy rolls of it with sticky backing. We did the dry erase boards on our Mexico cruise in April. There were 11 of us. It was a great way of leaving each other notes of where to meet, etc. We decorated them before we went on the cruise. Had lots of fun notes left for us from people just walking down the hallways past the cabins!:D

• 6 months later...

I won't cruise without my Post-It notes, highliter, and pen. Really useful when you are planning your activities. And we also took along a hanging organizer with clear pockets. I found it super useful to put all sorts of things in, from your cruise card/key, to battery charger for the camera, pens/post-it notes, to sunscreen. This was great with the kids who had a tendency to come in and dump things, then could never find their cards when we were ready to leave the room.

Hope that helps!

We always take photo ID with us when we leave the ship. Often the ship requires that you have your ship's pass plus photo ID.

Lambswool is another essential of mine. It is incredible for cushioning blisters, sore toes, bunions, etc. and weighs next to nothing.

Kathy:)

Kathy,

Lambswool sounds like a really good idea but where do you get such a thing?

Wrap some duct tape around a pencil so you do not need to take a big roll. You may want it for wrapping breakables, fixing tears, sticking up notices, etc.

Next cruise I am bringing a strong magnetic hook. Most walls are metal and this will help keep things tidy. My shoebag (clear plastic with multiple pockets) was great for keeping small stuff (pills, bandaids, sunglasses, camera, etc. easy to find.

Wrap some duct tape around a pencil so you do not need to take a big roll. You may want it for wrapping breakables, fixing tears, sticking up notices, etc.

Next cruise I am bringing a strong magnetic hook. Most walls are metal and this will help keep things tidy. My shoebag (clear plastic with multiple pockets) was great for keeping small stuff (pills, bandaids, sunglasses, camera, etc. easy to find.

I bring magnetic hooks and put them behind the cabin door. We hang our lanyards on them so we never forget our keys!

I've only stayed in balcony rooms and I also bring suction-cup hooks to hang hats and other loose things on them.

Some suggest bringing a bungee cord to hold the balcony door open and other things, but that seems to be dependent on the specific ship and cabin.

I do bring a rubber door stopper. I can keep the door open if I am expecting guests or room service. I also bring thank you notes to use for staff and others who have been helpful and extra kind.

PS: Samavar, I was just in Germany. I used to live outside of Kassel.

Archived