Day Sail

danie1le85

I would not recommend the Winifred. I was on it a couple years ago and it is not the trip they sell on their website!

Neither would I. We were on it a while back, and Sharon was quite crabby. Her first mate was good, and a good guide when we were snorkling. However, the lunch for six of us was so small, the adults had givee their food to the children. There was hardly enough even for them (three kids 10-14) they were famished, so the minute they got back to the ship they went to the buffet (and I am talking kids who aren't big eaters). Kinda spoiled the day.

I checked out their website, and it sounds wonderful. What is the price pp for the day trip?

I think it's 125.00 per person which includes the sail, open bar, lunch, snorkeling equip. etc. It's also appropriate to tip the first mate. I think we tipped 30.00 or 40.00, but was well worth it. We never had to lift a finger the entire day except to raise our forks to our mouths. The meal sounds pretty simple but it is truly amazing. Kathleen grows her own herbs & uses them in the marinade for the chicken. Aside form the filet in The Supper Club it was the best meal of the week. We visit her again on Nov. 3rd & I can't wait!!!!!

Another daysail option is Independence 44 with Captain Pat. We've sailed with her 3 times and it's always one of our favorite excursions. Maximum of 6 ppl, great rum punch, nice lunch, fun time snorkeling with Ray as guide to what's underwater.

We sailed on the Jolly Mon and had a fabulous time. They pick you up right at the ship’s dock, so you don’t have the expense of a taxi or the worry of getting stuck in traffic on the way back to the ship. We sailed to Buck Island, where we snorkeled with turtles and saw lots of fish. The strong swimmers and snorkelers were free to go wherever they wished, and the crew stayed with the less-strong snorkelers to make sure they were ok and having a good time. The food was delicious, grilled marinated chicken and rice with fresh herbs. It was a very special day, and we felt so pampered as we relaxed on the beautiful sailboat and the crew catered to our every whim. I would definitely recommend the Jolly Mon!

:) We did High Pockets on serenade feb 7-14th. It was fabulous. Weather was great in morning, really sailing, tacking, snorkling etc. Crew (Paul) was wonderful, weather was horrible in the afternoon,but just added to adventure.

Kathleen did everything she could to ensure we all had a great time and we DID. Lunch was amazing, not your normal excursion fare.

Did many excursions on all islands and teens still say this was the highlight.

Highly recommend for once in lifetime experience.

We have two familes of four travelling together (8 total). Anyone know of any options? We would prefer not to be in a large group....

Contact Kathleen at Highpockets. She has another daysail operator that will do a tandem sail. You would be on two boats but go to the same places. She said kids really like it beacuse the two boats will make a race out of it.

http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/

We sailed on the Jolly Mon and had a fabulous time. They pick you up right at the ship’s dock, so you don’t have the expense of a taxi or the worry of getting stuck in traffic on the way back to the ship. We sailed to Buck Island, where we snorkeled with turtles and saw lots of fish. The strong swimmers and snorkelers were free to go wherever they wished, and the crew stayed with the less-strong snorkelers to make sure they were ok and having a good time. The food was delicious, grilled marinated chicken and rice with fresh herbs. It was a very special day, and we felt so pampered as we relaxed on the beautiful sailboat and the crew catered to our every whim. I would definitely recommend the Jolly Mon!

I'm with you on this! Jolly Mon was fantastic as was the crew and her captain Miles! The lunch provided was delicious as was the rum punch which we well took advantage of! :)

Did you book this on your own or through the cruise line?

Thanks!

We used Highpockets with Kathleen. Best excursion we have ever taken. Here is the link: http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/

Our next cruise was chosen for the visit to St. Thomas, already booked with Highpockets again.

I have to totally agree! My husband and I sailed with Kathleen last year in April and we had a fabulous time. She is all about making sure the customer is happy. If you have something specific you want to see tell her via e-mail before your trip. Make sure you try her "Swizzle" drink - yum and lunch was really good too.

We snorkeled of St. John's and saw sea turtles. The ride back was a little bumpy, but it was a most enjoyable day. On the open air taxi ride back we got to see Megan's Bay from up high and it looked gorgeous. Make sure to ask your driver to stop so you can take pictures along the way back if you have time. There is some great shopping near the pier including jewlery and liquor. Enjoy your trip!

We just returned from the 2/15 sailing of Adventure of Seas....I had read about Rumbaba on this site and booked it....it was my wife and our 2 children 13/11....we had the best day we've ever had in St. Thomas by far.....Bobby and Julie catered to our every need...they were great with the kids....the food was the best we had all week by far....the drinks...bloody marys and pain killers were out of this world...they took my special requests for the kids prior to sailing and didn't forget a thing....we had a very windy week in the Caribbean 20-30mph winds so it was windy the day we sailed with him. No one got sick, though wife looked a little green on the crossing to St. John...Bobby did his best to keep us in sheltered areas and in the long run you need wind to sail...it was a great experience...the snorkeling was good..we hadn't done it before with the kids....we did go to a spot where we saw Rays but no Sea Turtles...didn't ask about that...would do so again on return as that would have been cool to see....Bobby used to be a ski instructor so I got some great skiing tips from him too.....he knows what he's doing so no questions about getting your money's worth here.....

Enjoy!

We are going to Saint Thomas in May on AOS and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Caribbean Sail to Christmas & Honeymoon Coves offered by RCCL or could recommend another day sail? Much Appreciated.

Rumbaba !!!! Best excursion, is with Captain Bobby - we have done this with hm in the past and will be with him again in March 09....

Kathleen with Highpockets is also wonderful. I love the intimacy of a private daysail. She can only take up to 6 people. It's a open bar all day, snorkeling or sunbathing in a secluded cove a fabulous lunch. I felt like a queen for the day. We are already booked again in November. With a cruisline excursion I always feel like cattle being herded through a gate.

Her contact is : http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/

rsvp@sailhighpockets.com

Rumbaba all the way! Went last March and am booked again for this March... a great day with great food and great company!

We just returned from the 2/15 sailing of Adventure of Seas....I had read about Rumbaba on this site and booked it....it was my wife and our 2 children 13/11....we had the best day we've ever had in St. Thomas by far.....Bobby and Julie catered to our every need...they were great with the kids....the food was the best we had all week by far....the drinks...bloody marys and pain killers were out of this world...they took my special requests for the kids prior to sailing and didn't forget a thing....we had a very windy week in the Caribbean 20-30mph winds so it was windy the day we sailed with him. No one got sick, though wife looked a little green on the crossing to St. John...Bobby did his best to keep us in sheltered areas and in the long run you need wind to sail...it was a great experience...the snorkeling was good..we hadn't done it before with the kids....we did go to a spot where we saw Rays but no Sea Turtles...didn't ask about that...would do so again on return as that would have been cool to see....Bobby used to be a ski instructor so I got some great skiing tips from him too.....he knows what he's doing so no questions about getting your money's worth here.....

Enjoy!

Rumbaba !!!! Best excursion, is with Captain Bobby - we have done this with hm in the past and will be with him again in March 09....

We were on Rumbaba last April & it was a great day. I really cannot add anything to the above recommenfdations as it was everything they said.:D

However, I must add a warning which I wish I had known before going on this daysail. If you have mobility issues at all this may not be the trip for you. I am "fluffy" and do not have good knees. However, I am very sleek in the water and love to swim!;) I can get in and out of most snorkel boats with no problems on regular snorkel ladders. On Rumbaba at least you access the sailboat via a inflatable style dingy. To get into the sailboat you stand on one edge of the dingy and climb into the boat holding onto ropes in the beginning. When Bobby drops you off at the beach it is from the dingy and you have to haul yourself into the dingy from waist deep water. I opted to swim into the beach from the sailboat and back again - it was just easier for me! The worst part was getting back to the dock where I had to climb straight up the sides of the dock from the dingy with the help of a couple of male friends. It was not pretty.:o I think Bobby was quite disgusted with my "issues" and motored back to his boat leaving me hanging on the side of the dock with my friends trying to help me up. It kind of put a damper on my day.:(

I have to agree with Tex....

We sailed on the Jester with Capt. Jim and it was awesome! We rented the boat for us and the other couple we were with - paid a little more to have just 4 of us instead of 6, but it was so worth it! He made "Jester Juice" - great drink - for us, a very nice hot lunch (he was in the restaurant business prior to sailing) and played great tunes all day. By far the best time we had in St. Thomas!

We are a group of 8 so I had given up on this idea until someone mentioned

Kathleen of highpockets could take more, using two boats. I emailed her

and she was already booked but she referred me to Pam of Fantasy.

Pam was able to get two boats. We will put 4 on each which means there

may be another couple on each boat - but thats fine. She also has arranged

for a driver to pick us up. It sounds like lots of fun. We are going week

after next so I'll give a review when I get back:)

Archived