I had to cancel the day before we left

kindercruiser

I'm still in a state of shock. I had been looking forward to my winter cruise to the Bahamas on the Fascination leaving Jacksonville on Feb. 12 for quite a few months. But, my daughter was diagnosed with pneumonia and my husband came down with a vicious virus just 2 days before we were to leave. My family (parents and sister and her husband) had to go on without us. I had no other choice because even though I'm sad to miss the cruise, my family always comes first. I could never go on with a sick child or husband. It's just wrong. Needless to say, you don't bring illness on a cruise ship, either.

Anyway, I have trip insurance.:) I only spent $77 on it, so I'm hoping it gets back my full $1500 for the 4 night cruise (oceanview quad room). I'm already looking to rebook for June! I have to try and stay positive. ;)

I'm still in a state of shock. I had been looking forward to my winter cruise to the Bahamas on the Fascination leaving Jacksonville on Feb. 12 for quite a few months. But, my daughter was diagnosed with pneumonia and my husband came down with a vicious virus just 2 days before we were to leave. My family (parents and sister and her husband) had to go on without us. I had no other choice because even though I'm sad to miss the cruise, my family always comes first. I could never go on with a sick child or husband. It' just wrong. Needless to say, you don't bring illness on a cruise ship, either.

Anyway, I have trip insurance.:) I only spent $77 on it, so I'm hoping it gets back my full $1500 for the 4 night cruise (oceanview quad room). I'm already looking to rebook for June! I have to try and stay positive. ;)

Oh, that is rotten timing! I really hope you can rebook for June...stay positive!

Cheer up! June is not all that far away, anyway!:D My hubs and I were just discussing this morning about cancelling our cruise due to so many make-up days added on to the end of the school year due to bad weather. I know that heart broken feeling!:( Maybe I should start looking for cruises in June, also! We haven't decided anything yet though. <<<good vibes>>>> for all of us!!!:cool:

kindercruiser - Sorry about your cancellation!! How about keeping us posted on how the Trip Insurance works out? Did you have Carnival Berkely or 3rd party?

If you had Carnival, when you re-book, take a look at Patriot T.R.I.P., Travel Insured Lite Expanded (the Travel Insured policies cover 1 kid free for each adult covered), and CSA Freesatyle (which has school extension coverage for kids school schedules) for higher coverages and less expensive, particularly if you are "younger".

ken

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and support. :) It really helps put a positive spin on this major disappointment. But life goes on...

Thankfully, I have the trip insurance. I've purchased it a few times in the past and this is the first time I have needed it. I already have the paper work filled out from my daughter's doctor and my full intinerary from the travel agent showing the cost involved. I just need to fill out a few more forms. I'll put the whole thing out in tomorrow's mail. I just hope to get back as much as possible. Thanks again for your support. :)

Ken, I will let keep everyone posted about recouping my loses through trip insurance. I bought my trip insurance through company called Access America. So we'll see...

Sorry your family fell ill like that, hopefully they will be better soon. Your situation is totally why I am a big believer in trip insurance. My GF gave me a hard time about spending the money on it...now I can show her your post and say "told ya so".

I feel for you, that sucks!

I am not taking chances, I am, and have been for two months, been taking Cold FX sumpplements to ward off the cold or flu!!!

I usually get sick ON the ship or just after I get home, but if I take Cold FX during the cruise I am fine!!!

At least you had insurance!!!! I do think you will likely need proof that your child was ill, so get a letter from the doctor so prevent ay problems with the insurance.

I'm still in a state of shock. I had been looking forward to my winter cruise to the Bahamas on the Fascination leaving Jacksonville on Feb. 12 for quite a few months. But, my daughter was diagnosed with pneumonia and my husband came down with a vicious virus just 2 days before we were to leave. My family (parents and sister and her husband) had to go on without us. I had no other choice because even though I'm sad to miss the cruise, my family always comes first. I could never go on with a sick child or husband. It's just wrong. Needless to say, you don't bring illness on a cruise ship, either.

I for one would like to thank you for being a responsible adult and not bringing a sick child (or husband) on a cruise.

I am a parent of 2 who has missed 2 cruises so far due to illness, as I too believe sick people should stay home, for their own health and safety as well as the health and safety of others. Thank you for doing the right thing, and being a smart woman who bought insurance!!:D;)

You would be surprised how many people who post here think it is somehow their right to sail when they or their children are ill, just because they are either too cheap or too selfish to cancel when they know that they should.

Bravo to you, hope all feel well soon, and have a great cruise when you re-book!!:D

Hopefully you will get a full refund. Two years ago, on the day before our cruise, my husband got sick and was admitted to hospital. We have always purchased travel insurance and it worked great. Filled out the forms and had a full refund on my next month's statement. We are never too young or too old to realize the value of travel insurance. Hope your family gets well soon!

Pam in KY

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and well wishes. :) My family is getting better each day and by next week all should be normal again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about getting my money back through my trip insurance. I hope Carnival refunds easily because they will have my money again and then some, because I've narrowed down my June cruise to either the 6 night Eastern Caribbean or the 8 night Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom. If I get my money back, then we'll be cruising in June!:)

I paid for my cruise by credit card. Would I receive a refund on my credit card or will it come in the form of a check? :confused: Actually, either works for me.

Kiindercruiser - So sorry to hear about the postponed trip. Been there too this year. To answer your question about the Carnival credit ours was really fast - like within a week. The insurer took another 5 weeks though. Counting the days til our cruise! Hang in there. Hope everyone is feeling better

My spouse also came down with pneumonia 2 weeks before our sailing on Jan 31st. We also have insurance and we have all of the paper work filled out except we our waiting for the tax refund from CCL. They told us to watch our CC account for the tax refund which could take 30-60 days.

The travel insurance co. needs a copy of the tax refund before they will consider our claim. Our you aware of a tax refund from CCL or did I get wrong info.

Archived