Reason to Purchase Insurance

Muumuu

I always buy it just in case. Well, last night at work (in ICU) we got a new patient flown in from Cozumel who was on a cruise, a near drowning and was flown into our hospital (his hometown). He was intubated, on a vent and on cardiac drips to keep him alive. Flight crew reported wife said they cruise very often and always purchase insurance. However, this time he did not want to. Oh what a mess that I don't ever want to deal with. Poor woman, she was just so distraught. You just never know.

We have never purchased travel insurance. We always looked at TI as only if we miss the trip. After reading several post on here and learning how much more it covers. We are now purchasing it for our trip in April. The one thing you do not need on top of an emergency situation is how are we going to pay for this?

Thanks for sharing and I hope he has a full recovery.

We were pleased to find out that oftentimes the TI covers being medivaced and medical care as well as trip cancellation, lost luggage, emergency flight arrangements etc. My wife, son and I were on a Costa Caribbean cruise last year and while at the pool a young girl picked off a piece of ceramic tile from the swimming pool and threw it.

It hit my wife just above her eye, opening a gash which had to be attended to by the ship's doctor. :mad: Thankfully no stiches were required and no big bills. It could have been a lot worse. Had the tile hit her one inch lower IN HER EYE, we would have had to have been medivaced off the ship. Believe me, the insurance is a bargain! You never know when something might happen and the last thing you want to worry about is how am I going to pay for it!

We were pleased to find out that oftentimes the TI covers being medivaced and medical care as well as trip cancellation, lost luggage, emergency flight arrangements etc. My wife, son and I were on a Costa Caribbean cruise last year and while at the pool a young girl picked off a piece of ceramic tile from the swimming pool and threw it.

I hope the parents of that little girl punished her for what she did.

Thanks for posting! I always purchase insurance, but never think about needing it in case I get hurt.

And it's not that hard to get hurt. I slipped down a flight of stairs and broke my foot. Insurance covered EVERYTHING that my regular insurance did not. And that was far more than the cost of the insurance. We would NEVER cruise without insurance!

It's like car insurance, health insurance, homeowner's insurance, flood insurance... etc. Pretty annoying to pay those premiums, especially when you never use the service. But you're sure happy to have that insurance should you need it.

after our 4 cruise we decided to get insurance..and as you would have

it..my father went in for surgery a 3 day s befor our sailing..:(

ever since we ve purchased insurance..he s still with us along with

my elderly mother and mother-in-law..and im no spring chicken either..

at anytime a medical emergency could arise so im thinking about not having to use it till were out of port..

We've got aging parents, and the DH is an only child. Add to that two teens of our own, we cruise during hurricane season, and I wouldn't dream of going without the TI. Yeah, the premium is a pain, but my TA shops for the lowest rate with full coverage, and we pay it. Adding extra, very high expenses to some sort of crisis situation would be the last thing I would want to be burdened with.

We have never cruised without purchasing trip insurance.

The day we were to fly to Florida (two days before our Carnival Glory cruise) in January 2008 ended up being the day of my Father's funeral. :(

We delayed our trip by one day, and had to make changes to our airfare to the amount of $312. We filed a claim with Access America when we returned, and a couple of weeks later we received a check for that amount.

You just never know what could happen to a close relative like your parents or siblings or your grown adult children that could cause you to cancel a cruise at the last minute. Or needing medical attention for yourself or spouse while on the cruise, or having something even worse happen to you or your spouse. I just wouldn't be comfortable cruising without trip insurance. We can't afford to lose thousands of dollars.

We did not purchase travel insurance for our very first cruise and of course, we should have. This was the September 7-15, 2008, cruise on the Conquest which was effected by Hurricane Ike. We lost our car and had to rent a car to get home from New Orleans. If we had had travel insurance, our rental car would have been covered. Live and learn. We now have another cruise in November 2009 with insurance and are working on two more, one in February 2010 on the Ecstacy and another in September 2010 on the Conquest. All will be insured. There is never a good enough reason not to insure your trip. We learned our lesson.

That's why they call them accidents.... they are not planned!!!!!!!!

We purchased trip insurance for our upcoming Alaska cruise. My husband works for a car company and with the impending layoffs we will be covered if he loses his job before we go. Keeping our fiingers crossed that we will not have to use the insurance!

Hi everyone!

I know people have asked this but I haven't seen more than one listed. Who insures everything? Trip cnx, illness, injury etc. Also do you insure the trip or each person on the trip. We will be 2 adults and 2 children and I want to add the price into the trip. Thanks.:confused:

In the last month I have personally seen 2 cases that reminded me of the value of trip insurance.

Last sunday I saw a patient who had just flown in from St Thomas after spending 6 days in the hopital there for a massive heart attack. He was in the middle of his cruise when he felt chest discomfort.. luckily the next port was an american port.

a month ago one of my coworkers fell on a cruise. Broke her nose, glasses and chipped her tooth... what an experience for a first time cruiser

OK I have a rookie question. I didn't get cruise insurance on our first cruise and was nervous the whole time about getting hurt etc. This cruise we'll be flying in instead of driving so I opted for insurance. I know I broke rule #1 about arriving the day OF the cruise (couldn't go early due to schedule) and I went with carnivals vacation protection insurance. I see all over on here about the insuremytrip site. My question is this....what's the major difference with them compared to carnivals? is carnivals really lacking in coverage? I compared the 2 and price was about the same and the coverages atleast appeared to be equal. It all has me wondering if I should have gone with the web site or am ok with carnivals insurance.

I used Carnival's insurance for all 3 of my cruises. I needed it this past Dec. on the Destiny. I tripped over the step on my balcony coming back into the cabin and landed really hard on my knee. It was pretty painful and was very swollen. Everyone in the infirmary was very helpful. They took x-rays and luckily nothing was broken. I saw the doctor twice and was not charged. I went to my doctor when I returned home and was sent to an orthopedic doctor. I filed my claim with Berkeley and in 2 weeks I received a check for the full amount. I was expecting them to give me the run around and was very pleasantly surprised. I would recommend going with them.

Archived