Crown Princess Review Feb 8-15 just in

LynnTTT

Just off this cruise yesterday. I'll work on a full review, but for now here is my brief. I talked to at least 5 people on board who swore they were posting a review yesterday, but guess they got busy!.

We were very happy with this cruise. It's our first Princess cruise and we thought it was much better than a recent cruise on Norwegian. It was windy and rocky the first day or two. On the second night, after Princess Key, the ship didn't so much rock from side to side as "jolt/jerk/shudder". That 11:45 pm "what the hell was that?" even startled the crew, so I am told. It was better the rest of the week and we didn't miss any ports. But this isn't a weather review, but a ship review.

Decor is very tasteful and the ship is laid out so that you don't really feel that there are over 3,000 passengers. It does take a few days to find all the lounges, bars, dining areas etc. Take your little map and just walk around for a few hours the first day. You'll find the adult pool, the pizza counter (very good), how the Caribe Cafe food may (or may not) differ from the Horizon, where to get nice pastries, shrimp salad for lunch, where to listen to a great string quartet, find the "milk and cookies" lady at 4:00 PM, is the Coffee Card a good deal (yes), is the regular coffee that bad(also yes), etc.

We had an inside cabin, aft on Aloha or deck 12. Small, but roomy looking with mirrored walls that helped visually enlarge the space. Always cleaned by Pablo on a regular basis. Plenty of storage; you couldn't carry as much stuff as the room will fit.

Food was generally good; buffet has lots of variety. The dining rooms were very good; we had "anytime" option. We did have to wait 10-40 minutes however if we wanted a table for two at around 8:00 PM so we often shared a table. I'd go with late dining option next time.

I did come back with a cold,so I'll sign off now. I'll work on a full review but will try to answer specific questions.

Good to hear about this ship - currently considering a trip on it in May = Med and Greek Isles.. beginning the search for ideas and feedback, etc. - used this site last year to find a fabulous local tour fellow when in Costa Rica with the Panama Cruise with Princess.

I’m just adding a little to my previous reviews to make sure it works-typed for 20 minutes last night and it got erased/didn’t attach/whatever.

Some points I think might be helpful, in no particular order:

Look at the food at all dining areas before you decide where to eat. One day the sign at the Caribe Café said “sushi” so we ate at the Horizon Café. Then when we went back to Caribe (all of 25 ‘ away), we discovered egg rolls, stir fries and lots of Asian food we do eat. So walk thru all the areas first.

We ate at the two non-set dining rooms every night. It was difficult after the first day to get a reservation for two, so we generally ate with a group. Mostly nice people, but one morning we had a woman from Michigan who hated all the food. Kept saying she couldn’t find anything she liked, even on the buffets! There are at least 8 or 9 main dishes every night, with about 10 vegetable, plus breads (very good) a very nice salad bar, etc. In the main dining areas, there are 5 specials every night, and also baked chicken, salmon, beef medallions, etc.

Pizza is very good on the Lido deck and so are the burgers, hot dogs and bratwurst. I loved the French fries- they are fresh, not frozen I think. At any rate, they taste like my home made fries.

Don’t miss the “cookie” lady. She comes around the pool area and other public areas between 3-4 PM. Not hungry? A warm chocolate chip cookie and cold milk? Don’t mind if I do.

MUTS-The outdoor screen worked better than I thought. Best seats are the chairs above the LIDO pool, in the middle. Mama Mia was fun, all wrapped up in a blanket eating fresh popcorn. But on Valentine Day I watched a movie from 3:45 PM until 5:30 at which time the movie cut off!!!! I waited 5 minutes and gave up. Luckily, it was “You’ve Got Mail” which I can probably recite by heart.

Lots of chair hogs, with chairs covered by towels at 9:00 AM. But mostly right by the pools, so if you went to higher decks you were OK. But then it got windy and cold.

I'll try to answer any questions

but one morning we had a woman from Michigan who hated all the food. Kept saying she couldn’t find anything she liked, even on the buffets!/quote]

I always say "picky eaters have never been hungry":D There is always one:eek:

A few years back we had a woman at our dinner table complain the ice water was to warm. When they brought back another glass of ice water, she asked the water to remove 2 cubes, since it was now to cold. I could go on and on about her ordering the rest of the week....but that is another topic.....

BK :)

A few years back we had a woman at our dinner table complain the ice water was to warm. When they brought back another glass of ice water, she asked the water to remove 2 cubes, since it was now to cold. I could go on and on about her ordering the rest of the week....but that is another topic.....

BK :)

wow some people are never happy.

Don’t miss the “cookie” lady. She comes around the pool area and other public areas between 3-4 PM. Not hungry? A warm chocolate chip cookie and cold milk? Don’t mind if I do.

I'll try to answer any questions

Was this by the MUTS pool or the non-MUTS pool? We were on the Crown 2 weeks ago and missed this fine lady that you speak of but, we did meet the beer man though;).

We were on Rivera deck and we too felt the shudder that you speak of. When laying in bed you could actually feel the roll sideways as well as front to back (head to toe), and hear the occassional wave slam off the ship. You can really hear the shudder down in the internet cafe or across the ship at the coffee bar.

Andrew

Was this by the MUTS pool or the non-MUTS pool? We were on the Crown 2 weeks ago and missed this fine lady that you speak of but, we did meet the beer man though;).

We were on Rivera deck and we too felt the shudder that you speak of. When laying in bed you could actually feel the roll sideways as well as front to back (head to toe), and hear the occassional wave slam off the ship. You can really hear the shudder down in the internet cafe or across the ship at the coffee bar.

Andrew

I was on the Crown last month and found that the international cafe area was the area I could feel and hear that shudder the most. It was the most noticable when we had 'moderate to heavy seas' as reported on the ship channel. Someone on this site told me it was the stabilizers doing their job.

With all that said, I did become quite used to it and after the first 'what the heck was that' moment (at 3AM no less!) I barely noticed.

Miriam

PS. thanks for the review!!! I still love reading about the Crown :D

We had o'view on Plaza deck 3 down from atrium and during the "rock n' roll" portion of the cruise was actually pretty smooth considering the wind and seas.. got some amazing pics from our window! There was a lot of banging and creaking but it is just the ship" moving in that weather...

Agree with most of the OP's comments. Loved the IC and coffee bar.. thought the two comedians were very good (usually only one is) and wish my DH had not blown the Marriage Game:eek: ::2 slaps:: ;)

Will do a review later.

One of my big complaints is same on all lines.. the photographers are just paparazzi! We did do B&W portrait on formal night and don't mind once in a while but you can hardly walk in the atrium and they are just so in your face some of the time... If we could get those 5x7 pics back for 4.95 I think a lot more people would buy 'em.. they waste so much paper!

Our family will be on the April 5th Crown Princess as well. I enjoy reading all the reviews since this is our first cruise. I sure hope having rooms on the Plaza deck are okay since they are near the International Cafe. :rolleyes: Has anyone had any problems bringing wine bottles into their rooms? Thanks.

One of my big complaints is same on all lines.. the photographers are just paparazzi! We did do B&W portrait on formal night and don't mind once in a while but you can hardly walk in the atrium and they are just so in your face some of the time... If we could get those 5x7 pics back for 4.95 I think a lot more people would buy 'em.. they waste so much paper!

Host Caroline, just wondering - did Princess used to sell all of those 5x7's for only $4.95????? If so, they'd sell a ton of them - can't believe they can make any money with the amount they throw out but then again, as you said, the photographers are EVERYWHERE.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic on the OP's review - just very interested in your price comment!!! I know I would have picked up another couple (only bought one and that was only because I really wanted to have a 'pro' shot).

Now, back to the Crown review .... I miss her so!

Miriam

Cookie lady-I caught her at the non-movie pool, but my husband said he saw here down at the International cafe.

Sabatini's- we ate there one night. Very nice; they serve you a plate of about 6 cold appetizers. then 5 hot appetizers(best calamari ever), then two little pastas, then your main course. And dessert Worth the $20 extra

Birthday or anniversary- make sure you complete that section of your "personalized cruise info" on the Princess site internet before you go. You'll get balloons at your cabin door and we got a special dessert at Sabatini's.

Indian food- at least 3 days there was a curry item on the Horizon buffet and they were very good. I found the Chinese food fairly bland.

Archived