1st O cruise - help cabin etc.

BlueBayou08

Husband and I are considering a first cruise with O, Rio to Buenos Aires on Insignia, 12 days. On our past cruises, we've always had balcony or mini-suites. Because this one is port intensive, we'd rather save the money for pre and post cruise stay in Rio and BA.

A) - does an inside cabin with no view feel clautrophobic? are all inside same size? any one better? Your experience please.

B) - O has been doing Rio-BA for some time I think. Where can I find reviews without going to each port of call seperately?

Thanks.

...On our past cruises, we've always had balcony or mini-suites. Because this one is port intensive, we'd rather save the money for pre and post cruise stay in Rio and BA.

A) - does an inside cabin with no view feel clautrophobic? are all inside same size? any one better? Your experience please...

Okay, I guess I can at least try to answer this one...being that I am one of those who will actually admit to staying in an inside cabin on Oceania... ;)

We have cruised on many lines...we prefer balconies, have even cruised in suites...but, for some cruises, especially where there is a large disparity in price, we'll save the money and go with an inside...especially on port-intensive cruises...

Of course, whether or not you feel claustrophobic really depends on YOU...We ignore it...we just use the pool deck and public space as our balcony and don't spend much time in the cabin--except to sleep, use the bathroom and change clothing...On at sea days, we just tend to get out and about the ship...If you can cope with that lifestyle, you'll be fine...

We've noticed that, on our upcoming Nautica cruise, for example, the differential between the Cat G inside cabin and the lowest priced balcony is $1500 per person! That's $3000 for the cabin...So, whenever we start feeling bad for ourselves, we'll just think about all that we're doing with that extra $3000--like tacking on hotel stays for three extra nights each in Barcelona and Istanbul, meals in those cities and paying for all of our excursions...

As to the inside cabins themselves, first, all of the inside cabins ARE the same--160 square feet...

They are very well laid out and very nicely appointed ...They are actually virtually the same size as the Category C and D OceanView cabins and quite a bit LARGER than the Category E OBSTRUCTED Ocean Views (143 square feet, no sofa)...I can never really understand why anyone would want to pay extra for one of those?

Last time, we booked #6010...and it was just fine...so we booked it AGAIN...

The ship is small enough that, for me, location fore, aft or midship, doesn't really matter all that much--it's a short walk to either elevators/stairs...

And I'd rather be on Decks 6, 7 or 8--between the pool/buffet and the lounge/restaurant decks than on the lower decks--but that's just me...

Really, just about any inside cabin is pretty much the same, except for location...which, again, to me, does not matter that much...

I'll take any cabin on the ship...just get me on the ship...

Good luck...

Insides are no problem. When they turn down your bed they close the curtains anyway so if that doesn't bother you the inside will not bother you. I like it when I have a balcony but I also liked it when we had 4 in an inside with bunk beds. My last cruise on Queen Mary 2 was inside and the cruise before that was a suite on the Constellation. I go for the deal and ports more than inside or balcony or suite. Whatever let me on the ship and let me go often! Please

We love having a balcony, but have also sometimes chosen an inside for the price. I don't find them claustrophobic, and I really like sleeping in a very dark room. Because my husband gets motion sickness, we like to be midships and low--preferably on a deck that has cabins, not public areas, above and below.

They are actually virtually the same size as the Category C and D OceanView cabins and quite a bit LARGER than the Category E OBSTRUCTED Ocean Views (143 square feet, no sofa)...I can never really understand why anyone would want to pay extra for one of those?.

Having paid for 'one of those' I can tell you it's because I need to see daylight - I sleep with the curtains open because, altho' I don't need a view, I need to see the passing of day and night - it's a primal need, deep in the hindbrain. You can intellectualise yourself out of it, but the mere fact that there is a discussion about inside cabins means that it is an issue.

We went on our first cruise ever this past April. The cruise was a 12 day port intensive to Europe. We had cabin 8012 which is an inside cabin on the 8th floor which is a penthouse deck. We took this cabin since it was the last one left that wasn't a guaranty. The cabin was not claustrophobic at all. I believe it is 165 sq ft. I had no problem and would do it again in a heartbeat. I slept like a baby becuase it was so dark and very quiet.

That being said, my husband had a problem with the lack of light. He would awake in the middle of the night and not know if it was 2 am or 8 am. He said the lack of light "screwed with his internal clock". Needless to say, we are booked this May to Europe and have a balconey on a lower level. I am rationalizing the additional expense since the cruise was one of those discounted.

Everyone is different. Look at the expense differential and see if it is worth it for you. Even though these cruises are port intensive, my husband feels he would like to just hang out on the balconey, have a drink and watch the land go by. Sounds good to me so we went for it.

We have yet to do our first Oceania (looking forward to October on the Nautica) but we have done a considerable amount of cruising -- we have stayed in everything from an inside to a balcony. Basically I adore cruising and there is little that will harm the total experience for me. I have, however, over the years determined that for me I require a connection with the outside world. I am not comfortable unless I have a way to tell whether it is light or dark outside -- and a way to look outside to see if that thump was just thunder or something more dire. I like to be able to see if we have pulled into port, if we have entered the fjiords or if there are glaciers in view. I do not appreciate having to get dressed to do this. At night I also require a clock or watch. We, therefore, do not consider a cabin with an opening to the outside a splurge -- for us it is a requirement. It can be a deluxe balcony or a simple port hole -- I just need the connection to the outside world. On the other hand, we know many folks who do considerable cruising who are happy as clams in their inside domiciles.

Basically, it is personal preference and until you have experienced both yourself you cannot know for sure how you will react or what you will really require.

It is entirely a personal preference, but here are some suggestions as to whether or not you will feel claustrophobic.

Think of your habits on a land vacation. When you check into a hotel or motel, what is the first thing you do? Do you head for the window to look out? Or do you close the drapes and leave them closed the entire time that you are there?

I am a window-looker-outer. I would not be happy in an inside because I need to know if its day or night. If you don't have this need, an inside will work for you.

Go to the Cruise Reviews section for Oceania. You may find a review there from someone who has done a similar cruise with Oceania.

Thanks each of you. I'm going to print your comments and discuss it with husband. Given that we will be off the ship every day except for one sea day, I'd be willing to try an inside. And head to the bar when it feels too 'closed in', the world is always bright with a martini ;o) This choice seems popular though, I just checked booking and very few left. Hubby will decide. Like you said Steve, just get me on the ship!

I just returned from the Insignia where we had an inside cabin...6010...on our trip from Buenos Aires to Rio. I've been in inside, outside, balcony, and mini-suite...I don't mind the inside cabin especially if the price is that much better than others. You can turn on the tv via remote to see how the weather is for the day while you're still in bed. The cruise was an expensive one as we stayed in BA for three nights before the cruise and two nights in Rio after the cruise. Why not save on your cabin? Happy to answer any questions you may have about BA/Rio/and all the other ports. Might be better if you emailed me at marie@eggly.com instead of on the boards.

Marie

Archived