Frozen butter?

jhayman

I do the same exact thing and it works great! Funny that others do what i do and i thought i was the only one who knew the secret. lol

LOL.. me too.. In fact, when I do that I usually put my hands in my lap or under the table because I was afraid if someone saw what I was doing they would laugh.. LOL.. now to think a lot of people do it.

If you're talking about the butter that comes to the table on those little iced serving containers, I just take the butter off the ice as soon as I sit down. By the third serving of bread it is soft. For the first and second servings, I obviously need to be slowed down a bit, anyway :cool:.

Thanks for the new topic! Hadn't heard this one before:D.

Put the butter on your saucer, next to your tea/coffee cup at breakfast.

And if it's any other meal... "why are you eating that?? you'll ruin your appetite + you won't be able to finish your dinner...!!:D

If you know what I mean.;)

I think next time I am going to ask the waiter/waitress to butter my bread for me so they can see how hard it is to use the frozen butter. That should be interesting. :D

On a side note, I too hold the butter between my hands to warm it up so it's somewhat spreadable, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. Half the time the bread ends up mangled because I'm trying to spread frozen butter onto it. Oh the humanity! :D

Does it annoy anyone else that the butter provided with the bread at all the meals is always frozen? Not a huge deal, but just curious if this annoys anyone else.

I've gotta tell ya, on my list of annoyances and aggravations, frozen butter is nowhere to be seen.

In the "grand scheme of things" when it comes to cruising or dining, the state of my butter isn't a consideration.

Put the butter on your saucer, next to your tea/coffee cup at breakfast.

And if it's any other meal... "why are you eating that?? you'll ruin your appetite + you won't be able to finish your dinner...!!:D

If you know what I mean.;)

There is a great comedian that talks about something like this. How at home you have no desire for bread but when you go to a restaurant you craveee it.

Also instead of asking the dining guests if they want their food to go the waiter should say "would you like me to throw this out or would you like to bring it home and throw it out yourself?"

There is a great comedian that talks about something like this. How at home you have no desire for bread but when you go to a restaurant you craveee it.

Also instead of asking the dining guests if they want their food to go the waiter should say "would you like me to throw this out or would you like to bring it home and throw it out yourself?"

Well James, you set me back a little bit with that! So true!! :)

Does it annoy anyone else that the butter provided with the bread at all the meals is always frozen? Not a huge deal, but just curious if this annoys anyone else.

I guess I am weird, but I love the butter to be very hard. i do NOT like room temperature soft butter! DH likes it room temp. We do our best to compromise!

Speaking of butter......I asked the waiter who then got the maitre 'd but no one seemed to know the answer:

What is that little notch in the butter knife for?:confused:

Sandy

I found this on Wikepedia :rolleyes: It sort of conforms to what my Mom always told me - that it was not proper to spread the butter on your bread diectly from the butter dish, you should put some on your bread plate and then butter the bread. I guess they're saying the notch helps pick up the pat of butter.

"Butter knives are not used on bread, but merely to transfer butter from the dish to the side of your plate. Each diner uses his own knife to butter the bread (at a formal setting there will be a separate knife for this, smaller but similar in style to the main knife). ... The notch marked knife is used for transferring the butter from the butter dish to your plate. You then use a non notched knife to spread the butter. Each person should have a butter knife of their own and this knife should not have a notch. The only one with the notch is the one used to tranfer the butter."

Archived