Royal Champions Vereses the rest of us

alexkrn46

I have NOTHING agaisnt RCs, and I congratulate them for having this recognition, but I gotta say, your posts now will mean less to me, and that upsets me.

You don't need to feel upset. It doesn't upset me that my posts mean less to you. People are welcome to take any information from them that they find helpful and also welcome to disregard any part, or all, of them that they choose.

See ya around the boards.

Same situation as upgrades. Not every D+ gets an upgrade on the sailing. They start with the guest with the MOST cruise credits, then work their way down the list, depending upon how many rooms are available for upgrades.

Not every D+ is entitled to an upgrade, which they start awarding 14 days out, not 21 days out. Used to be 21, then reduced to 14. I know this pertains to another thread, but it's the same premise.....the D+ with the most cruise credits has first choice.

This is really strange...All of a sudden I realize that people probably don't want my help anymore, and I can understand where they're coming from when they say they don't trust me anymore.

I just became a royal champion a few weeks ago. For those of you who have known me since 2004, I've always hit the SEARCH button for many of you, and posted photos of cabins, ports, etc., and I've always enjoyed looking things up for you, because I'm that way.

Even these past weeks, after having an artificial joint installed in my thumb, I was posting pictures of aft balconies on the All Things Explorer thread.

As many of you know, I always say I've cruised 8 different lines and I like them ALL. :)

I just want to post that I won't be searching for information to try and help anymore. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not upset with you who don't trust me, I'm upset with myself for wasting my time in the past, and I do realize that you have a right to not want my help.

Hey....I'll get a well deserved rest, and just post for the fun of it when I'm bored. :)

Royal Caribbean, If you're reading this, I'm officially going to be a lazy old 65 year old slug. :D

Maybe someone could compose a list of folks that don't want the help of R.C. people any longer and we can just avoid responding to those threads or posts??:o

Maybe someone could compose a list of folks that don't want the help of R.C. people any longer and we can just avoid responding to those threads or posts??:o

OB, you are a malcontent, and yet you are a RC? I am a delightful delicate flower of happiness and love and I am not. What is wrong with this picture?:confused:

jc:D

This is really strange...All of a sudden I realize that people probably don't want my help anymore, and I can understand where they're coming from when they say they don't trust me anymore.

I just became a royal champion a few weeks ago. For those of you who have known me since 2004, I've always hit the SEARCH button for many of you, and posted photos of cabins, ports, etc., and I've always enjoyed looking things up for you, because I'm that way.

Even these past weeks, after having an artificial joint installed in my thumb, I was posting pictures of aft balconies on the All Things Explorer thread.

As many of you know, I always say I've cruised 8 different lines and I like them ALL. :)

I just want to post that I won't be searching for information to try and help anymore. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not upset with you who don't trust me, I'm upset with myself for wasting my time in the past, and I do realize that you have a right to not want my help.

Hey....I'll get a well deserved rest, and just post for the fun of it when I'm bored. :)

Royal Caribbean, If you're reading this, I'm officially going to be a lazy old 65 year old slug. :D

Well I for one have appreciated all the help you've given to me and others:) I do know what you mean though about being selected as a RC. Suddenly it seems people think you are an RCCL cheerleader no matter what goes wrong. I do not know why RCCL selected us, I do know CC had nothing to do with the selection process as Laura has stated. RCCL makes no distinction at all between what people refer to themselves as Charter members and the newer members. That's just a title they give themselves for whatever reason but its not recognised by RCCL. I have been very outspoken in the past when I see something wrong with RCCL and I've also been supportive to those that have had problems. I think we all know no cruiseline is perfect and you can go on any cruiseline thread on CC and find people complaining about something and I do not take it personally if someone bashes RCCL as they are entitled to their opinion based on their experience. If someone has a bad experience they SHOULD be letting others know especially RCCL so it can be corrected or at the least warn others about potential problems.

There are a lot of wonderful people on CC and many of them I have met onboard and have cruised with them several times. If someone says you or I or others can't be trusted because we are a RC, then that's their problem. You bring a wealth of information to CC to help others when they ask a question and I know people appreciate it. We've all answered the same questions 100 times but to those that are asking they really want to know the answers as they are either new to cruising or new to RCCL or maybe it's a new ship for them. I'll keep answering questions when I can to help someone and I just ignore the sarcastic mean spirited comments we see occasionally. Those people are not worth our time and they certainly do not represent the majority of CC members.

OB, you are a malcontent, and yet you are a RC? I am a delightful delicate flower of happiness and love and I am not. What is wrong with this picture?:confused:

jc:D

And that PRECISELY proves the point that having this distinction of being a Royal Champion hardly influenced what we post here!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Thank you for showing up at just the right time. I always say, if I can't count on my buddy J.C. who the heck can I count on??:):):)

You must be older than dirt.

Actually, I'M older than dirt because of how long I've been with this cruise line!:D

This thread is a hot button, isn't it? I was surprised to see it still clicking along (pardon the pun). Interesting.

I had heard a little differently about the RC'ers. I still feel those who are loyal D+ should have been invited before people with only a few cruises...

Because I can read and I'm a D+ and so are many of my cruising buddies who were not invited. There are numerous threads on this exact issue just research them. you're a true Royal Champion and would say the sky is green with pink polka dots if it suited RCL. I will have to take anything you say as not objective, sorry.

Let's remember that a very big purpose of a pre-inaugural cruise is to get the word out. That's why the overwhelming majority of the passengers onboard Liberty (and on this past weekend's Mariner West Coast Premiere cruises) were travel agents, many of whom have never set foot on a ship before. I promise, I SWEAR that there were D+ members onboard. It took about 40 cruise credits to qualify for an invitation, as I recall, but I do not know how many actually took RCI up on it. Then they invited some other people, including those who they dubbed Royal Champions. I don't think it was meant to be a reward but simply to get us all to come back and rave about the ship. Which, oh by the way, I didn't do because she was too damned big for me. But I was thrilled to be invited, nonetheless, and I can see the appeal of the ship for families (that should keep my RC status safe;)).

Same situation as upgrades. Not every D+ gets an upgrade on the sailing. They start with the guest with the MOST cruise credits, then work their way down the list, depending upon how many rooms are available for upgrades.

Not every D+ is entitled to an upgrade, which they start awarding 14 days out, not 21 days out. Used to be 21, then reduced to 14. I know this pertains to another thread, but it's the same premise.....the D+ with the most cruise credits has first choice.

In theory, anyway. I've read here and talked to others onboard (and I'll assume that the people are being truthful) that they've been "skipped" in the upgrade chain. Given what a mess the C&A records are, that's not surprising. And the C&A rep I spoke with two weeks ago said it's 21 days out...

Jean, it just goes to show that communication is a BIG problem with RCI. When I spoke with the D+ desk yesterday I was told 14 days before a cruise a list is prepared with the members names, starting with the one with the most cruise credits. However, because we hadn't been called about our amenity, the rep thought maybe our name was left off the list. She said the list didn't reach them until the afternoon, and she would check and make sure we were on it.

So, I am sure, some people do get skipped, given the state of the IT at RCI.

Supposedly, there have to be more than 4 cabins in a higher category to allow them to offer upgrades to D+. They offered us one yesterday, D1 to JS, and this is the third D+ upgrade we've received, so I know it does happen. However, we didn't get any upgrades until after we had 40 cruise credits..before that I just figured other people were higher on the list than us.

I just book a cabin we can be happy with....if the upgrade happens, all the better, if not, no problem.

I know that a lot of D+ were not invited to the pre-inaugurals. I do believe the cut off was somewhere around 40 cruise credits, but I'm not positive. Seems a lot of the D+ that were onboard had 50 or so credits (at least the ones I talked to had that many). The 20 or so cabins occupied by RC's didn't impact the D+ list very much. Who knows, maybe the next highest number of D+ were 100 strong, so which 80 would be left out if the RC's were not invited?

I honestly can't believe this thread. Just cannot believe it.:( I personally know some of the Royal Champions - call a couple of them good friends -and I know they are not afraid to call a spade a spade, and give the good with the bad. I will continue to listen to their thoughts and opinions, knowing that they know of what they speak.:cool:

D+ were invited to the Liberty Pre-Inaugural (I was there as a guest of a Royal Champion), and they did have their own private party. I saw the invites. D+ were also invited to the Mariner Pre-Inaugural, as I know a woman who was invited just for the number of cruise credits that she has. Yes, there were a few Royal Champions invited, but really not that many. Just some of the Western ones. I don't think that any RC from the East coast was invited.

Now if this is enough for some people to change their loyalty to a cruise line, then so be it. Au revoir. It doesn't change my opinion on how much I love to cruise Royal at all. I cruise for the activities (second to none), the ships, the wonderful experiences, and the outstanding service. I do not care if they don't invite me to a party.:rolleyes: I'm just happy that I am actually one of the lucky ones that CAN cruise. Many can't. Count your blessings and move on. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Jean, it just goes to show that communication is a BIG problem with RCI. When I spoke with the D+ desk yesterday I was told 14 days before a cruise a list is prepared with the members names, starting with the one with the most cruise credits. However, because we hadn't been called about our amenity, the rep thought maybe our name was left off the list. She said the list didn't reach them until the afternoon, and she would check and make sure we were on it.

Supposedly, there have to be more than 4 cabins in a higher category to allow them to offer upgrades to D+. They offered us one yesterday, D1 to JS, and this is the third D+ upgrade we've received, so I know it does happen. However, we didn't get any upgrades until after we had 40 cruise credits..before that I just figured other people were higher on the list than us.

I just book a cabin we can be happy with....if the upgrade happens, all the better, if not, no problem.

I know that a lot of D+ were not invited to the pre-inaugurals. I do believe the cut off was somewhere around 40 cruise credits, but I'm not positive. Seems a lot of the D+ that were onboard had 50 or so credits (at least the ones I talked to had that many). The 20 or so cabins occupied by RC's didn't impact the D+ list very much. Who knows, maybe the next highest number of D+ were 100 strong, so which 80 would be left out if the RC's were not invited?

I took 15 cruises on RCI last year and was called once for my amenity -I just mark my calendar to call them (as if I would forget, LOL). I heard about the Mariner pre-inaugurals through the grapevine and called when somebody with fewer cruise credits got an invitation. We weren't on the list, nor were some friends of ours with a similar number, but you can bet we were added promptly. And they were going strictly by number of credits. I just keep reading CC to find out what's going on so I don't miss out:).

We've never gotten an upgrade, but we usually book a JS and the full suites are sold out, so no surprise there.

Having just read a few posts above I'm shocked about the Mariner pre-inaugural. My dear friend has 150 cruises with RCL and wasn't invited. If they slight someone with 150 you know they don't give a damn about loyalty. That speaks volume to me.

I never said i wouldn't sail on RCL again, I'm sailing with them in May. I will look at all cruises and all options before I pick a cruise from now on, previously I looked at RCL first.

?

I always book a cabin I will be happy with, that's not the point. I wrote the thread about my opinion regarding upgrades and sent the link to the the two CEO's of RCL. Both had their secretary call me, I was impressed. I was told marketing and revenue give out upgrades randomly without rhyme or reason. That makes me feel really loyal NOT! D+ also are supposed to get upgrades if TWO cabins are available in the higher category. I resent the random upgrades BEFORE the D+ are taken care of. Why have a loyalty program and not implement it fairly.

Having just read a few posts above I'm shocked about the Mariner pre-inaugural. My dear friend has 150 cruises with RCL and wasn't invited. If they slight someone with 150 you know they don't give a damn about loyalty. That speaks volume to me.

I never said i wouldn't sail on RCL again, I'm sailing with them in May. I will look at all cruises and all options before I pick a cruise from now on, previously I looked at RCL first.

Where does your friend live? The preinuagurals were aimed at Western cruisers. The only people we met at the D+ party who were not from the West were two couples with over 200 cruises and a few people who had been on the 46 nights around the horn. Not that I met them all, mind you.

On the other hand, if she does live on the West Coast, she also may have been omitted from the list by oversight, as I was.

But perhaps to support your point that RCI is less than sensitive to the circumstances of their most loyal travellers, there was a handful of people who sailed on Mariner for 46 and were invited to the 2-night inaugural, which was the second of the freebies. They were not allowed to stay onboard for the one night cruise. Although the ship's personnel were perfectly willing to let them stay, Miami in its infinite wisdom ordered them off for a night.:eek:

Boy oh boy... I have debated whether to even post on this thread because I am probably THE perfect example of one of the RC's that you all hate. The gold member that had a low post count - that doesn't deserve to be here.

Think what you want, I really don't care. Whatever. :rolleyes: However, what disturbs me is those that feel they can't trust what I write because I was selected (I did not apply) by Royal Caribbean to this so called club.

Please take a look at my posting history.

* You will find that I have been as helpful (if not more!) on the Carnival boards and even on Princess even though we did not have a great cruise with them.

* You will find that my reviews (regardless of cruise line) were very balanced. Good & bad.

* You will find that I did not always agree with what RCCL and their policies.

* You will find that I even filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney General regarding the fuel supplement and was very vocal about how it was enacted, even after it was no longer personally affecting me.

* You will find that I have made friendships all over these boards, not just on the RCCL board.

* You will find that I cruise many different lines and offer the same balanced posts for all of them. I have never bashed any line, even Princess. You should find the thread about our Christmas/New Year's cruise on 2005/06. Even after that experience, I feel I was very balanced and never said I wouldn't sail on them again. I said said it would be a long time and the itinerary & price had to be right. Which is the case for our upcoming cruise.

* My "FREE" Pre-Inaugural cruise on the Liberty cost us about the same it would have cost us to sail on a 7-day cruise out of California due to hotel, parking & flights.

* The fact that I was invited on the 1-nighter was inconsequential compared to the number of travel agents invited that had never cruised with RCCL and still don't "get it" - I heard the conversations - trust me - they don't get it and many won't be able to convince others to try something they don't even understand. I have (as we ALL have) steered many people to RCCL BEFORE I was selected as an RC.

So - after all of that, if you still feel that my posts are more biased to RCCL and I am simply a commercial - please hit the ignore button so that you won't be subjected to my information. Hopefully others will take it for what it is meant to be - help, good intentions & information.

To the OP, look up the definition of "buzz marketing" because that is the essence of this campaign.

Buzz marketing is a viral marketing technique that attempts to make each encounter with a consumer appear to be a unique, spontaneous personal exchange of information instead of a calculated marketing pitch choreographed by a professional advertiser. Historically, buzz marketing campaigns have been designed to be very theatrical in nature. The advertiser reveals information about the product or service to only a few "knowing" people in the target audience. By purposely seeking out one-on-one conversations with those who heavily influence their peers, buzz marketers create a sophisticated word-of-mouth campaign where consumers are flattered to be included in the elite group of those "in the know" and willingly spread the word to their friends and colleagues.

Although buzz marketing is not new, Internet technology has changed the way the way the buzz is being spread. Disney, for instance, is using enhanced video technology to personalize their corporate message and make viewers feel special.

Boy oh boy... I have debated whether to even post on this thread because I am probably THE perfect example of one of the RC's that you all hate. The gold member that had a low post count - that doesn't deserve to be here.

Think what you want, I really don't care. Whatever. :rolleyes: However, what disturbs me is those that feel they can't trust what I write because I was selected (I did not apply) by Royal Caribbean to this so called club.

Please take a look at my posting history.

* You will find that I have been as helpful (if not more!) on the Carnival boards and even on Princess even though we did not have a great cruise with them.

* You will find that my reviews (regardless of cruise line) were very balanced. Good & bad.

* You will find that I did not always agree with what RCCL and their policies.

* You will find that I even filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney General regarding the fuel supplement and was very vocal about how it was enacted, even after it was no longer personally affecting me.

* You will find that I have made friendships all over these boards, not just on the RCCL board.

* You will find that I cruise many different lines and offer the same balanced posts for all of them. I have never bashed any line, even Princess. You should find the thread about our Christmas/New Year's cruise on 2005/06. Even after that experience, I feel I was very balanced and never said I wouldn't sail on them again. I said said it would be a long time and the itinerary & price had to be right. Which is the case for our upcoming cruise.

* My "FREE" Pre-Inaugural cruise on the Liberty cost us about the same it would have cost us to sail on a 7-day cruise out of California due to hotel, parking & flights.

* The fact that I was invited on the 1-nighter was inconsequential compared to the number of travel agents invited that had never cruised with RCCL and still don't "get it" - I heard the conversations - trust me - they don't get it and many won't be able to convince others to try something they don't even understand. I have (as we ALL have) steered many people to RCCL BEFORE I was selected as an RC.

So - after all of that, if you still feel that my posts are more biased to RCCL and I am simply a commercial - please hit the ignore button so that you won't be subjected to my information. Hopefully others will take it for what it is meant to be - help, good intentions & information.

See, your post is exactly what I contemplated in the beginning of this thread. Being an RC member has nothing to do with # of postings as it has been claimed, or favoritism towards RCI as has been claimed nor that RC members always portrait a positive picture of RCI as it has been claimed.

The selection of RC members is as scientific as digging a hole in the backyard with a hand shovel. It is based on "who do I like" and "who don't I like". The good old favoritism. Heck, half of you don't even know why you are RC members in the first place. :D

The way I see it is that RCs are a group of people, a clique. Nothing else. I sure don't get my panties in a wad over it. Someone decides who will become a member but not through data mining. Because if data mining would be a major deciding tool then the software is extremely faulty because you sure don't fit the 'official description' of an RC (nothing against you ;) ) nor do a lot of other RCs.

While it affects me zilch who is and who is not an RC I do understand those who might be upset about not being invited to pre-inaugural sailings and such events. It is in the nature of humans that if a person feels entitled to something be it through loyalty or hard work and is being shoved aside because of favoritism that person gets upset. And if those who were 'selected' keep on pouring it on does not ease the tension.

It was and is a very enlightening thread though. I found myself agreeing with people I never agree on anything. Some views I had of others come into full focus. And then there are those who are just always classy and above pettiness.

Very interesting. :)

Now carry on....:D

One thing of interest that did catch my eye (well really there was a couple but for now this one was most interesting) as I tried to research some of the stuff posted from the OP was this comment below attributed to RCI. The comment was in regards to how they measure, or at least try to measure success after invites to events and on-going in regards to the Royal Champions. It had a "Big Brother" flavor to it.

"Measuring Success: While difficult to measure precisely, based on observation and anecdotal evidence we are confident that the Royal Champions produce ample word of mouth and exert sufficient influence to make the investment worthwhile. Posts from Royal Champions are carefully monitored during events and on a regular basis to ensure that posts remain positive and frequent."

You are correct, I am not what you would expect in statistics of a typical RC. I was not offended in the least, because I am just as baffled. Appreciative though. However, there is more to it.

* I have been vocal about bringing a larger ship to the West Coast for quite some time... would have been happy with just Radiance, glad we got both. :) I helped organize a group trip BEFORE Mariner's announcement was official (which I had to cancel our booking - but still talk on the roll call) - I was THAT excited. :) Everyone I knew heard about Mariner coming out West and that was BEFORE I was selected as an RC. So, perhaps they saw my enthusiasm on the West Coast? I don't know.

* I would have never considered booking a larger ship like Liberty had I not been invited to the event. I used to be of the school that these were too big. Being invited, not only showed me that the ships are designed well and do not feel crowded, I have become a "champion" of them to my friends & family. I have a customer (not travel related - I am not a TA) that is planning a big family reunion with ages from 1 to 70. Being on Liberty & Mariner made it so much easier to recommend Mariner to this gentleman. He often calls me to ask what ships are in port (he lives in SF) because he knows that I just have a love of cruising in general.

* We were only booking West Coast cruises because DH hates to fly. However, he gladly flew to Miami from California for the trip. It helped him to realized that flying is tough for him, but not unmanageable and it opened so many new doors for us & cruising with RCCL in the future. He even flew to Hawaii in December and I can thank RCCL for that.

So, while I am not what many would consider prime for this program (and it is a program, not a reward), I might be exactly what RCCL was looking for. We did not know why we got picked, we did not even know that we were RC's until we got there. We did not know it wasn't a one time thing. We don't expect anything that we are offered. We appreciate it to it's fullest. And if it were to end tomorrow, we would be thankful that we even got to participate.

I don't think any RC has rubbed it in anyone's faces. We only respond when someone asks, and many of us hesitate to do that because of the inevitable attacking. You probably wouldn't see any of us bringing back old threads, because we know what will be coming next.

I can honestly say that I would be happy for anyone that would be picked, even if I had 100+ cruises and wasn't picked. I tend to not look at what I don't have, but what I do have and don't get all worked up over what others have. But that is just me and the way that I am. I have been accused of being a "goody two shoes" or whatever you want. I just tend to look at things differently. I am GRATEFUL that I can even have the opportunity to cruise at all, especially with this economy and would be hard pressed to have the time to complain about what other's have that I don't in regards to vacations.

But, like I said - the attacks about who deserves what isn't what bugs me. It is the fact that some feel that we would be biased just because of this program. That is why I pointed out those things. To show that I post the same now as I always have... and I believe that to be true of each of us. Why doubt us, just because of the program?

I work for a company that bottles for about 40 different beverage companies. If you were to ask them if I told them honestly what I think about how their product tastes or what I think about their packaging, they will ALL tell you that I don't pull any punches. Even if my favorite company comes out with a beverage that tastes like sludge, I will be the first to tell them & everyone that I know. That is a a fact. The same goes here.

I am not saying that I don't understand why some people's feelings are hurt, because I do. It's human nature. I just think that some are taking it WAY too personal.

I am not saying that I don't understand why some people's feelings are hurt, because I do. It's human nature. I just think that some are taking it WAY too personal.

I agree. Tina, you are a class act - always friendly and always helpful. I do know that you write balanced reviews, too, and voice your displeasure where it is due. I hope to cruise with you again someday - hey - we've come close.;) It's bound to happen!:)

I agree. Tina, you are a class act - always friendly and always helpful. I do know that you write balanced reviews, too, and voice your displeasure where it is due. I hope to cruise with you again someday - hey - we've come close.;) It's bound to happen!:)

Thanks Carol. Right back at you! :) And yes, very close!!

I have read this and felt I wanted to post to it also,

to come to our defense.

None of us know how we were chosen. We did not raise our hands and yell, "Pick me, Pick me." We did not even know that this Royal Champion selection was going to take place. We were selected and that was it.

Now how many, many months ago was that? And after all this time goes by, up pops this posting.

So, I will speak for myself.

I have always posted the same way and will always continue to do so.

Royal Champion or not does not change the way I post on here.

I have always tried to help people with their questions. I have never said "Go look it up on the search feature." as "certain people" do. I will look it up for them and post the answer if I can find it. I speak my mind, and always will.

Now, after all this time of having Royal Champion in my signature, all of a sudden there are "certain people" who are trying to say that because of that Royal Champion being there, I/we should not be listened to anymore, that my/our postings should not be read anymore, that my/our opinions should not be viewed anymore?

Why is that? "One certain person" even brought up an older post and said the reason was, so that people could see who we all were. The Royal Champions. This so we can all be ignored?

Because those "certain people" did not make Royal Champion and they want to take it out on us who did?

Bad information is being given on this thread and it should be looked at as coming from "those who are mad at everyone for not being chosen."

The selection of RC members is as scientific as digging a hole in the backyard with a hand shovel. It is based on "who do I like" and "who don't I like". The good old favoritism. Heck, half of you don't even know why you are RC members in the first place.

I respectfully disagree. The selection process, as is the ROI determination process, is based on scientific methods. Essentially you're looking for people who have the ability to influence their peers, and whether the influenced peers are more likely than not to spread the word disseminated by the selected actor.

As with anything, you will miss those who would've been great assets and you will get false positives. For anyone with a sports background, an appropriate simile would be the bust of Ryan Leaf, Michael Jordan not being selected as the #1 pick of the draft, or Ben Wallace not even being drafted period!

Archived