WindJammer for all meals

Ocean boy ;)

I have finally come to the conclusion-I give up!!LOL

what everyone knows sometimes I just don't understand. But-I will draw the line for being responsible for tipping chefs, the head baking chef, dishwashers,salad prep and so on.

For those who asked the question;

the original topic was if you never eat in the MDR-should you tip them. I do bring cash for my evening servers-no matter where I eat because I feel I may never see them again prior to my ending my vacation. Be it the WJ-specialty restaurnat-Johnny rockets-they get my tip if they serve me. The MDR will get my tip if they serve me. So-yes-I do give cash.

I find breakfast and lunch very much self service more often then I find it that I am being served.

I actually bring a bunch of dollars if I plan on parking my sorry butt by the pool and some nice server will hand me my Coco-loco and the mass quantities of lava flows that I will consume!! :D Same thing in the evenings. Often-as I am sitting by a machine that takes my money I will usually hear a kind voice behind me that says-another coco loco. When they remember me-I feel cash is key!!!:D

I wasn't going to join this and had hoped to get this thread back to the original intent but I had to chuckle when I read your post as it reminded me of home.

I think the tipping you outline is similiar to what I grew up with. In NY, we seemed to tip everyone, the garbage men, the postman, doormen, the paper boys brother, politicians, the mafia, everyone!

When I finally moved, people looked at me as if I had 3 heads with all the tipping. Heck, the first few times I went to Disneyworld I was slipping Mickey and Minnie singles everytime they took a picture with my daughter. I felt like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack. When I travelled, I still tipped everyone in other countries. The locals said "you dont have to do that here", but ya know, everyone accepted it. But then, the ex pat Americans in those locations told me if I had given them cash, they would have taken it too.

Bottom line is how often and when is just a personal choice other than what is suggested. Some are just more free to do so and luckily for service workers, many go above and beyond but trying to impress that somewhat questionable logic on others is an exercise in fertilty or is it futility.

but u are correct - they don't share tips...They are one and the SAME - they rotate in & out!

Have happy cruisin!!

So which is true . . . what you said in this post or on number 223, where you wrote: "Waiters, bus boys etc, work not only in the MDR but in the WJ also, plus the cooks, helpers, dishwashers, etc and also share in those tips."?:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

I have cruised before on HAL and NCL where "service charges" are automatically added to your onboard account but my upcoming cruise in May will be my first on RCCI. I have read the 200-odd messages on this thread and am confused about how one would go about tipping regularly in a venue such as the Windjammer Buffet. For me, one of the pleasures of cruising is not having to carry cash around on the ship. I always tip appropriately for drinks and service in specialty restaurants but do so by adding the extra when I sign the bill. If I wanted to tip in the Windjammer, I assume I would have to carry cash. Do most people do this on RCCI ships?:confused:

I do not tip in the windjammer and i have never seen any money left on a table for a tip. I tip the suggested amounts for the MDR because i eat 99% of my dinners there. If I didn't eat in the main dining room AT ALL I would possibly tip a prorated in the windjammer at the end of the cruise if someone went out of their way to make my dinners pleasant by yielding some service.

And the folks working the ships make a living far better than the country that they live in or they wouldn't be leaving their families to go work the ships.

How do you know the staff works 16 hrs. a day? That would give them 8 hrs. a day off. So all they do is work and sleep?? The last time I sailed our cabin attendant told us what time he came on duty in the morning and when he would be back in the evening. He had time off in the middle of the day.

Please tell me how you know who "shares" in the tips. Please, I really want to know. Do people just tell you these things? Do you go around asking questions about what is really done of your business?

As for that "stiff the staff in the MDR line of yours... have you actually read anything that anyone else has written here or is your way the only way??

Do what you feel is appropriate. Others of us will do the same....Happy cruisin' to you too!

Your cabin attendant was likely working elsewhere during that time!!

Oh, by the way, why not ask me if they work 7 days a week also..or on a contract - then again, why not do some research and find out for yourself??

And if I go around asking questions which are none of my business, then why do u ask me??

IMHO that is a rude comment and totally unnecessary to make but I suppose u feel that in order to make a point, u must attempt to demean me first..

If u have read my post - I state that u are free to tip whatever way u choose, I do not tell anyone what to do, just state what my research, after 25 yrs of cruising, tells me happens when they don't..

I merely state what I thought wld be obvious to most folks - MDR staff is the WJ staff in rotation..& vice versa...

Unfortunately, it seems that excuse not to tip will be eagerly defended if seems -

but that isn't your motive of course .. is it?

Have happy cruisin'!

but u are correct - they don't share tips...They are one and the SAME - they rotate in & out!

Have happy cruisin!!

Ok, so I get it....they rotate.

But I still don't understand why they should get tipped in the MDR and the WJ at the same time....or more than once.:confused:

If I prepay tips, those go to the MDR staff......and as you tell us, these are the same people working in the WJ. So if that is the case....then why should they get tipped twice?

There is a big difference between waiters, maitre de (sp?), etc. in the MDR, and the people that may prepare our food in the WJ. The servers in the MDR are attentive and wait on us, as the WJ people don't. We serve ourselves.

Wherever I eat, I will tip accordingly by who waits on me. Sure, if someone in the WJ helps me in some way, I will tip them too. But I haven't seen this yet:).

So which is true . . . what you said in this post or on number 223, where you wrote: "Waiters, bus boys etc, work not only in the MDR but in the WJ also, plus the cooks, helpers, dishwashers, etc and also share in those tips."?:rolleyes:

I shall attempt to explain - technically they do not share the tips because they are one and the same but the - cooks, helpers, dishwashers etc - the 'back room boys/girls' so to speak - will not get anything if u do not tip the MDR staff 'cause they do share in those tips. They work in the kitchen - u know the usually 'unseen' service providers!!

Do u really need me to clarify this because u might have figured it out on your own given lots of time?

Have happy cruisin'!

Ok, so I get it....they rotate.

But I still don't understand why they should get tipped in the MDR and the WJ at the same time....or more than once.:confused:

If I prepay tips, those go to the MDR staff......and as you tell us, these are the same people working in the WJ. So if that is the case....then why should they get tipped twice?

There is a big difference between waiters, maitre de (sp?), etc. in the MDR, and the people that may prepare our food in the WJ. The servers in the MDR are attentive and wait on us, as the WJ people don't. We serve ourselves.

Wherever I eat, I will tip accordingly by who waits on me. Sure, if someone in the WJ helps me in some way, I will tip them too. But I haven't seen this yet:).

I agree, no need to tip twice. I did not advocate tipping in the WJ..unless u feel a staff member is worth tipping (in your opinion) for great service above & beyond.. :)

Your tips to the MDR are sufficient normally!!

Service is not just those that serves folks the food or drink, it also includes those chopping & cooking, putting it out, dishing it up & cleaning up later..and to make it easy for oneself if u do wish to tip, anyone can do as we do and tip in the MDR!

Have happy cruisin'! :)

I shall attempt to explain - technically they do not share the tips because they are one and the same except - the cooks, helpers, dishwashers etc - the 'back room boys/girls' so to speak - will not get anything if u do not tip the MDR staff 'cause they do share in those. They work in the kitchen - u know the usually 'unseen' service providers!! I was just pointing out the differences in your posts. I am finding your 'attempts' to explain more convoluted as you continue.

Do u really need me to clarify this because u might have figured it out on your own given lots of time? Do you really think you CAN clarify your POV given the changing nature of what you say you 'know' to be true?

Have happy cruisin'!

So you haven't actually said what the basis of your 'research' on the matter is. I did an analysis of this back in post 151 of this thread, and think I narrowed it down pretty well. My calculations confirmed the amounts quoted in post 55 of this thread. From what I can see, the wait staff on the ships isn't getting 'stiffed,' and are fairly compensated for their work all told. So I see no reason to pay tips for the MDR if I don't use it.

I have gone back through this tread and read your posts. I am pretty sure I have 'figured it out,' as you invited me to do. Any chance that you are a crew member who is trying to get passengers to up their tipping, over and beyond what RCCL recommends?

So you haven't actually said what the basis of your 'research' on the matter is. I did an analysis of this back in post 151 of this thread, and think I narrowed it down pretty well. My calculations confirmed the amounts quoted in post 55 of this thread. From what I can see, the wait staff on the ships isn't getting 'stiffed,' and are fairly compensated for their work all told. So I see no reason to pay tips for the MDR if I don't use it.

I have gone back through this tread and read your posts. I am pretty sure I have 'figured it out,' as you invited me to do. Any chance that you are a crew member who is trying to get passengers to up their tipping, over and beyond what RCCL recommends?

I am the author of the post #55 u mention.. and I agree with your post #151....it was well written!!

I have with further research ascertained that tips are also part of the equation...Without the tips the staff makes nowhere near those numbers quoted..

I have never advocated paying tips - curious then, since u state u have read my posts, u wld ask me that question... The obvious answer is NO!!

Besides, isn't the object here to help folks with their questions? U seem a bit fixated on my posts & now my reason for posting - what is next, my grammer??

I am simply attempting to point out what happens if folks don't tip in the MDR.. I may not be doing it perfectly but I am, at least, attempting to share the knowledge I have gleaned over many yrs to assist others and answer the OPs question..

I also wld like to add, if I may, folks shldn't feel they must tip if they believe that the service is below par!!

Do u agree?

I am the author of the post #55 u mention.. and I agree with your post #151....it was well written!!

I have with further research ascertained that tips are also part of the equation...Without the tips the staff makes nowhere near those numbers quoted..

I have never advocated paying tips - curious then, since u state u have read my posts, u wld ask me that question... The obvious answer is NO!!

I am just attempting to point out what happens if folks don't tip in the MDR..

I also wld like to add, if I may, folks shldn't feel they must tip if they feel that the service is below par!!

Okay, I went back to 55 and agree you wrote it, and that I missed that before I wrote my last post because I remembered the number. I agree that tips are the basis of the salaries, and not RCCL. I disagree with your occasional assertions that the MDR recommended tips are getting shared among the enter kitchen staff. I don't buy it, sorry.

But I think the whole WJ VS. MDR tip debate simply comes down to the way individuals view 'service,' and when tips ought to be expected. I firmly side with those that feel that if I am not using the MDR I do not have to tip there. I firmly side with those that feel that a buffet is, by definition, self serve and thereby don't feel the need to tip since I served myself.

We are just not going to agree on some of this, and the debate is getting boring.

I respect your right to tip as you see fit, and will do so myself.

I agree, no need to tip twice. I did not advocate tipping in the WJ..unless u feel a staff member is worth tipping (in your opinion) for great service above & beyond..

Your tips to the MDR are sufficient normally!!

Service is not just those that serves folks the food or drink, it also includes those chopping & cooking, putting it out, dishing it up & cleaning up later..and to make it easy for oneself if u do wish to tip, anyone can do as we do and tip in the MDR!

Have happy cruisin'!

Thank you! A lot of people think it should be tip both, which doesn't make sense to me. :)

But.... tipping the food choppers, cooks, dishwashers, etc., would fall in the same line as tipping the captain, crew, cleaners, recyclers, painters, etc. because they did something behind the scenes for me too.

I guess what I am saying is....where does it end?:confused:

To me....the tips are for the people who personally serve me, not all of the behind the scenes folks. But that is my opinion. :)

I have enjoyed this thread...been reading every step of the way. This has been quite an interesting debate here.:D

Thank you! A lot of people think it should be tip both, which doesn't make sense to me. :)

But.... tipping the food choppers, cooks, dishwashers, etc., would fall in the same line as tipping the captain, crew, cleaners, recyclers, painters, etc. because they did something behind the scenes for me too.

I guess what I am saying is....where does it end?

To me....the tips are for the people who personally serve me, not all of the behind the scenes folks. But that is my opinion

I have enjoyed this thread...been reading every step of the way. This has been quite an interesting debate here.:D

Tipping does seem to include some folks most have never even seen let alone heard of :)...

Unfortunately it is the way it is structured by the companies doing it that leaves employees relying on tips to supplement their meager base salaries (plus room & board)...

Most employees receive a substantial base salary and are not entitled to tips..only those receiving small base salaries are counting on providing the type of service that will warrant a 'tip' to increase what they can take home!

I wish, like u, the cruiselines wld pay those 'behind the scene' folks decent wages & leave the tips to those that provide 'upfront' service..

However, if a cruiseline did pay all employees instead and said to the paxs 'no need to tip' , not only wld the level of service decline but cruise fares wld go up quite a bit..

This wld discourage pax to cruise, so less crew needed & less folks have a much needed job..plus the cruiselines shareholders wld be most upset at the lower revenue and dividends but they aren't so 'hot' right now anyway I believe, if they exist anymore at all! :)

Pity the poor staff as they bear the brunt of those folks, who either because they are ill-informed or h----- forbid 'cheap', choose not to tip...and so the staff receive less $ because of them and get discouraged after providing what they believe is great service...warranting a tip... The cruiselines don't suffer, the hard working staff does..and ultimately so do cruiseship pax...!

Yes indeed, a most interesting topic....

[quote name='nusail']Hi Everyone,
I have cruised before on HAL and NCL where "service charges" are automatically added to your onboard account but my upcoming cruise in May will be my first on RCCI. I have read the 200-odd messages on this thread and am confused about how one would go about tipping regularly in a venue such as the Windjammer Buffet. For me, one of the pleasures of cruising is not having to carry cash around on the ship. I always tip appropriately for drinks and service in specialty restaurants but do so by adding the extra when I sign the bill. If I wanted to tip in the Windjammer, I assume I would have to carry cash. Do most people do this on RCCI ships?:confused:[/quote]

Please don't stress about this tipping business. If you eat your meals iin the MDR at night (and you really should experience this wonderful treat:)), then you would tip your wait staff appropriately and don't have to worry about the Windjammer staff. It is worked into the system. This discussion is among those who NEVER eat in the MDR at night and thus do not tip the main wait staff.

Enjoy your wonderful cruise.

[quote name='cruisecrasy']Your cabin attendant was likely working elsewhere during that time!!

[COLOR="Red"]Oh, by the way, why not ask me if they work 7 days a week also..or on a contract - then again, why not do some research and find out for yourself[/COLOR]??

And if I go around asking questions which are none of my business, then why do u ask me??
IMHO that is a rude comment and totally unnecessary to make but I suppose u feel that in order to make a point, u must attempt to demean me first..

If u have read my post - I state that u are free to tip whatever way u choose, I do not tell anyone what to do, just state what my research, after 25 yrs of cruising, tells me happens when they don't..

I merely state what I thought wld be obvious to most folks - MDR staff is the WJ staff in rotation..& vice versa...
[COLOR="red"]Unfortunately, it seems that excuse not to tip will be eagerly defended if seems -
but that isn't your motive of course .. is it?[/COLOR]

Have happy cruisin'![/QUOTE]
I didn't ask you if the staff works seven days a week because I already know that they do. Since I have actually cruised and see my cabin attendent everyday as well as other crew members it hasn't been very hard for me to put two and two together!:D

As to your last statement, defending not tipping is my motive? Where have I advocated not tipping? Once again I will ask you, have you read what anyone else here has written? Please direct me to my post where I advocate not tipping the staff. Possibly I have a different opinion from you as to who the tips should go to but nowhere have I stated that the staff should not be taken care of.

[quote name='cruisecrasy']Service is not just those that serves folks the food or drink, it also includes those chopping & cooking, putting it out, dishing it up & cleaning up later[/quote]

While I am on the "tipping side" of this debate, I think you may be confusing RCCL with NCL in this matter. NCL's automatic service charge is distributed (they say) to all these crew members, but I don't think RCCL's is - I think the tips go to the WAITERS only. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

If this were clarified, it might take some of the disagreement off the table.

[quote name='petesweet'] I think the tips go to the WAITERS only. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

If this were clarified, it might take some of the disagreement off the table.[/quote]

Petesweet
Exactly
I believe you have been a member of CC longer then I have and like myself-we always seem to gravitate towards these threads to see if we get any viable information.
To date-I think-It's all been- nothing factual!!! :(

So after thread number-150 on tipping- nothing has changed- no one knows the answer to any of this!!!
Although I must say-this is the first time I've heard being responsible for tipping the kitchen staff too!!! :rolleyes:

"After reading all the posts Ive come to the conclusion that nobody knows for sure, who KNOWS what ,who gets What and when you should (insert any topic here). Im so glad I have digested all the information here, more confused now than when I started on page 1 , no worries then.:)[/quote]

Perfect! With some minor tweaking, I've modified your statement to where it could apply to many items discussed on the boards!:):confused:

[quote name='ivycruise']"After reading all the posts Ive come to the conclusion that nobody knows for sure, who KNOWS what ,who gets What and when you should (insert any topic here). Im so glad I have digested all the information here, more confused now than when I started on page 1 , no worries then.:)[/quote]

Perfect! With some minor tweaking, I've modified your statement to where it could apply to many items discussed on the boards!:):confused:[/quote]

LOL, I agree, I pick and choose what I need to know, some things are fantastic to read and very informative but a lot is just peoples opinions. :):cool:

[quote name='MAZANDSTEVE']Perfect! With some minor tweaking, I've modified your statement to where it could apply to many items discussed on the boards!:):confused:[/quote]

LOL, I agree, I pick and choose what I need to know, some things are fantastic to read and very informative but a lot is just peoples opinions. :):cool:[/QUOTE]

And people's opinions are great. Sometimes they change my thoughts on certain things, sometimes they reinforce my thoughts, and sometimes they don't end up making the slightest difference.

Archived