WindJammer for all meals

[quote name='nanfromatlanta'][COLOR="black"]There are many of us, like myself, who dine out on a regular basis at home. Consequently, the main dining room is not a big deal. As matter of fact, we dine at some restaurants here at home which would put the MDR on the ship to shame. Do we take advantage of dinining room?....yes. Do we eat some dinners in the Windjammer?... yes. We cruise at least once a year and thoroughly enjoy the laid back, casual atmosphere of the Windjammer on some evenings. We can pick and choose whatever we like, and dine at our own pace.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]It is all about choices.[/COLOR] ;)[/QUOTE]

Exactly! People act like the MDR is the Tour D'Argent or something. (And if you don't know what that is, you have no right being a snob about any food). It's a cruise. We don't need to take ourselves so seriously. :D

[quote name='Host Karen']I believe there are more members in the minority than one might think, but they avoid these threads because they are piled upon when they state their opinion on the tipping issue. I am often stumped to understand why people can't respect the opinions of others, even if they don't agree.

Karen[/QUOTE]

Karen,

Come to think about it you may be right, for the exact reason you mention.:) I avoided posting in the thread for some time as I lurked, watching the direction of the posts. By the time I posted I decided that it was time to support the people that agreed with my POV with my own post. I think the tipping issue is worth exploring, and health to discuss. I find it sad that some people that have posted are so sure that theirs is the [B][I]only[/I][/B] way to see the issue that they need to throw barbs at other people who have a different POV. It is the height of crudeness to assume that just because someone disagrees that it is okay to toss off insults. There is no reason to insult someone because of a different opinion on this topic.

[quote name='petesweet']The operative term is "release your table." That way, the fine service team in the MDR can have another couple (or whatever) assigned to the table to supplement their tip income, which is so important to them.[/QUOTE]

Well, one major flaw in this way of thinking - where would this phantom "other couple" come from? There are only X number of people on the ship - they have all been assigned to a table. So, unless someone wants to change tables for whatever reason (thereby leaving the ORIGINAL servers tipless), there would not be someone waiting for that table.

[quote name='gerif']Well, one major flaw in this way of thinking - where would this phantom "other couple" come from? There are only X number of people on the ship - they have all been assigned to a table. So, unless someone wants to change tables for whatever reason (thereby leaving the ORIGINAL servers tipless), there would not be someone waiting for that table.[/quote]

in addition to people wanting to change tables (for whatever reason), many times there are waitlists for seatings.

[quote name='terri23']in addition to people wanting to change tables (for whatever reason), many times there are waitlists for seatings.[/QUOTE]

Of course, but that still leaves a group of servers tipless through no fault of their own.

I have a question for those folks who don't frequent the MDR but prefer to eat all meals in Windjammers.
You are saying that because you don't eat in the MDR you don't tip the staff there. Thats fine, I won't argue with that. So you prefer to tip the staff in Windjammers I assume.
I eat dinners in the MDR but breakfast and lunch in Windjammers. I leave the recommended tips for the dining room staff but had never considered also tipping Windjammers staff even though I eat more meals there than in the dining room.
Should I be?

[quote name='HorrorFan']I have a question for those folks who don't frequent the MDR but prefer to eat all meals in Windjammers.
You are saying that because you don't eat in the MDR you don't tip the staff there. Thats fine, I won't argue with that. So you prefer to tip the staff in Windjammers I assume.
I eat dinners in the MDR but breakfast and lunch in Windjammers. I leave the recommended tips for the dining room staff but had never considered also tipping Windjammers staff even though I eat more meals there than in the dining room.
Should I be?[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with what you are asking is that it just adds to the complication of this issue. Traditionally, your wait staff has been those folks who take care of you for the evening meal. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room is open seating. Typically you would not tip those folks during the week so I would say you also would not tip the folks in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. Just as I propbably would not tip in the dining room if I went there for just breakfast or lunch. I say probably because I don't go to the dining room so I think that is what I would do.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I think the problem with what you are asking is that it just adds to the complication of this issue. Traditionally, your wait staff has been those folks who take care of you for the evening meal. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room is open seating. Typically you would not tip those folks during the week so I would say you also would not tip the folks in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. Just as I propbably would not tip in the dining room if I went there for just breakfast or lunch. I say probably because I don't go to the dining room so I think that is what I would do.[/quote]
That's a good answer. So if I can extrapolate just a bit, people should probably tip whomever help with/serves the evening meal. Yes? That should/would make the gratuities much easier for all to understand.
I personally eat most evening meals in the dining room, although go to the specialty restaurants once or twice. I tip the recommended for everyone, and usually leave a few extra dollars for the Chops/Portofino staff when I go there. Guess I can't go wrong with that. :)

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I think the problem with what you are asking is that it just adds to the complication of this issue. Traditionally, your wait staff has been those folks who take care of you for the evening meal. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room is open seating. Typically you would not tip those folks during the week so I would say you also would not tip the folks in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. Just as I propbably would not tip in the dining room if I went there for just breakfast or lunch. I say probably because I don't go to the dining room so I think that is what I would do.[/quote]
We have tipped a waiter in the WJ at breakfast the last morning because he was excellent all week. He would bring our coffee to us each morning the second he saw us. He also would make a hot chocolate for the empty chair each morning knowing I would either bring it down to my son or my son would eventually make it up to breakfast. He remembered what juice we drank and that I had one and my husband had 2. He was the most friendly, helpful waiter we have ever met in the WJ. He just made that first cup of the day more enjoyable.

We normally only eat a couple of nights out of the MDR but may do more alternative dining and WJ in the future. In the past we have tipped the full amount, plus more if outstanding service, in the MDR and rarely tipped in the WJ. Figured it was just a wash and that other people were doing that too. I do like the idea of getting the tips to the people who have actually waited on us.

[B]So what’s the protocol for tipping in the WJ?[/B] We’ve had 2 or 3 different staff bring drinks to the table, clear the table, etc. Who do you tip and how much? Gets a little confusing when you sit in different areas each night with multiple staff involved. I could see the WJ tips exceeding the main dining room tips if I tipped everyone involved with the dinner.

[quote name='reallyitsmema']We have tipped a waiter in the WJ at breakfast the last morning because he was excellent all week. He would bring our coffee to us each morning the second he saw us. He also would make a hot chocolate for the empty chair each morning knowing I would either bring it down to my son or my son would eventually make it up to breakfast. He remembered what juice we drank and that I had one and my husband had 2. He was the most friendly, helpful waiter we have ever met in the WJ. He just made that first cup of the day more enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

When we sailed on Serenade the woman who was the greeter as you entered the Windjammer was really cool. For some reason she remembered me early in the week and EVERYTIME I walked into the place she made me feel so special. So at the end of the week I gave her a gratuity. I think she was so surprised!

It is great that the staff impressed you at breakfast. I, too, would take care of someone like that who seemed to go out of his way for me or my family.

[quote name='Chilkoot']We normally only eat a couple of nights out of the MDR but may do more alternative dining and WJ in the future. In the past we have tipped the full amount, plus more if outstanding service, in the MDR and rarely tipped in the WJ. Figured it was just a wash and that other people were doing that too. I do like the idea of getting the tips to the people who have actually waited on us.

[B]So what’s the protocol for tipping in the WJ?[/B] We’ve had 2 or 3 different staff bring drinks to the table, clear the table, etc. Who do you tip and how much? Gets a little confusing when you sit in different areas each night with multiple staff involved. I could see the WJ tips exceeding the main dining room tips if I tipped everyone involved with the dinner.[/QUOTE]

We always try to sit in the same area and our experience has been that we have had the same staff who in many cases have given us better service than we received in the dining room. There is no "protocol" that I can give to you. In your case you could either tip a little each evening to the folks that served you or at the end of the week you could go around and tip the various people that took care of you during the week.

As for the amount, I typically take what we would have used for gratuity in the dining room and use it in the Windjammer. Last year on Adventure I also included the woman who was standing behind the dessert bar keeping it organized because every night after the first she knew that I liked ice cream in a BIG bowl not a little tasting cup and got it ready for me as soon as she saw me coming. Little acts like that from the staff make a big impression on me. In fact, three people in the Windjammer took such good care of us that not only did I mention them by name on my comment card but I also wrote a short letter to Adam Goldstein acknowledging them by name for the way they took of us.

[quote name='HorrorFan']I have a question for those folks who don't frequent the MDR but prefer to eat all meals in Windjammers.
Should I be?[/QUOTE]

I can't tell you what to do about your tipping but I can tell you that when we eat in the windjammer I always look for the person cleaning the tables and I thank them for doing a good job and give them a few bucks. I also do the same with the person pushing the cart around with drinks if I get a drink from him/her. I could walk and do it myself(drink) but since they have this service I use it.
In the MDR we put the tips on seapass and then give more for great service.
We have also given gifts to our room stewards,waiters,and we sent flowers to a female assist. waiter once.

[quote name='lovetocruise75']Your amounts above INCLUDE tips and they are expected amounts based on an average industry-wide. I have maintained a good friendship with a waiter and bartender from two different RCCL ships, and trust me, they earn no more than $100 per month each from the cruiseline. Now, room and board is included, however, the majority of their pay comes from tips ;)[/QUOTE]

I like to agree to disagree but the total amt the average waiter makes, even at the low end of the scale, is a decent sum especially considering where it will be spent -
Their average salary at home can be $1 per day..and sometimes nothing and the expenses are all relative. Room & board is nothing to 'sneeze' at either, sometimes there is no tax to pay & the staff also receives medical care and as we all know that can be a considerable expense..There is a reason there are always a lot of applications for these jobs...

We must be careful to not compare apples to oranges - US wages & expenses are also relative and quite different..

I again reiterate - I completely advocate tipping, always have & always will - just not in advance -
That isn't a tip (thankyou for good service) its a 'bribe' and tends to get one no more than they wld have gotten anyway except perhaps a bit of unspoken contempt from the staff. Lets plse remember that in most countries of the world that is considered American and gauche and the cruise ship staff for the most part come from those countries!!!
I mentioned in my previous post an article, regarding tipping in CCs 'Features' & listed under -Under The Captains Table, also suggests the same...

For those having a problem with tipping on cruise ships, I hope my explanation can clarify it for u:

Most of the ships staff rotates in & out of the WJ, so deserve to be tipped because if u eat in WJ &/or MDR for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner, u are receiving 'service'...and tipping of all the waiters-waitresses, assistants & head waiters is done thru the cash or automatic tips a share of which also goes to your room steward-ess. Without tips or with tips added to cruise fares, service wld decline as the staff then has nothing to 'work' for as they know they will get it anyway - no incentive!!

Any other tips are up to u eg: if a waiter or ? in the WJ offers service u feel warrants it, please feel free to reward the service with a cash tip. This can be done upon service received or u may seek the individual out at the end or close to the end of the cruise..
They will add it to their income from their salary & their MDR tips....

The room stewards (esses) will likely deserve & will appreciate the tip u leave in cash or thru your SeaPass acct (and any extra beyond the recommended amt if u so choose) at the end of the cruise..and please remember to smile and be pleasant in your demands -

The staff really, really enjoys interaction with the pax and the spoken appreciation of their usually excellent efforts, don't u? :)

Have happy cruisin'!

For me-tipping in the WJ for lunch or breakfast depends on the service. Sometimes-it's so crazy in there, I'll get my own juice or coffee in the morning. It can be alot of self service. That being said-I don't mind. I'm low maintence. Other times-they have the time to be attentive and deserve a tip-no different then you would leave at any buffet restaurant you would eat at.
Dinner is quite a different experience. It is generally quiet and they are so great during dinner. I tip them no different then I would in a local restaurant.
I've never eaten breakfast or lunch in the dining room so I don't know.
All I know is-I tip the MDR staff-very well-for the nights I am there. Other nights-yes, I don't leave my room with out cash!
Just like the one night we took the kids to Jonny Rockets for dinner. We never went in there during the day, figured we'd check it out. There was only one other table-we laughed, had a great time. I never saw these servers anywhere else on the ship. We left them a nice tip. They all came over to thank-us as we were leaving.

How does RCCL tip folks compared to other cruise lines? Most other lines take an amount and say they split it between multiple different positions. On RCCL you just tip the folks directly. How do the folks who would be tipped by the pooling system on other lines be tipped on RCCL?

Also, the mandatory tipping thing is a touchy subject (obviously!). On one hand, these people deserve to be tipped. However, there is the camp that believes that a fully automatic tipping system removes the desire for the service folks to please the customer. It becomes a question of "Why should we go out of our way since we have nothing to gain?" Please don't flame me, I'm just putting the different opinions out there.

VegasMark
I'm not sure how other cruise lines work but for sure RCCL servers do not pool their tips. That's why I have tried to find a system that makes sure everyone who takes care of me-I take care of them. I just don't know any other way of doing it but direct tipping.
I also don't know when they actually recieve the tip money if they get a voucher from auto-pre-paid tips. I'd rather give them cash in case they need it right away.

I like to agree to disagree but the total amt the average waiter makes, even at the low end of the scale, is a decent sum especially considering where it will be spent -

Their average salary at home can be $1 per day..and sometimes nothing and the expenses are all relative. Room & board is nothing to 'sneeze' at either, sometimes there is no tax to pay & the staff also receives medical care and as we all know that can be a considerable expense..There is a reason there are always a lot of applications for these jobs...

We must be careful to not compare apples to oranges - US wages & expenses are also relative and quite different..

I again reiterate - I completely advocate tipping, always have & always will - just not in advance -

That isn't a tip (thankyou for good service) its a 'bribe' and tends to get one no more than they wld have gotten anyway except perhaps a bit of unspoken contempt from the staff. Lets plse remember that in most countries of the world that is considered American and gauche and the cruise ship staff for the most part come from those countries!!!

I mentioned in my previous post an article, regarding tipping in CCs 'Features' & listed under -Under The Captains Table, also suggests the same...

For those having a problem with tipping on cruise ships, I hope my explanation can clarify it for u:

Most of the ships staff rotates in & out of the WJ, so deserve to be tipped because if u eat in WJ &/or MDR for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner, u are receiving 'service'...and tipping of all the waiters-waitresses, assistants & head waiters is done thru the cash or automatic tips a share of which also goes to your room steward-ess. Without tips or with tips added to cruise fares, service wld decline as the staff then has nothing to 'work' for as they know they will get it anyway - no incentive!!

Any other tips are up to u eg: if a waiter or ? in the WJ offers service u feel warrants it, please feel free to reward the service with a cash tip. This can be done upon service received or u may seek the individual out at the end or close to the end of the cruise..

They will add it to their income from their salary & their MDR tips....

The room stewards (esses) will likely deserve & will appreciate the tip u leave in cash or thru your SeaPass acct (and any extra beyond the recommended amt if u so choose) at the end of the cruise..and please remember to smile and be pleasant in your demands -

The staff really, really enjoys interaction with the pax and the spoken appreciation of their usually excellent efforts, don't u? :)

Have happy cruisin'!

making a mistake on my post. I said 'American and gauche' and it shld be 'American gauche' (bad manners). The countries the servers come from have to deal with bribery all the time and they 'hate' it, its one reason they dislike it during their jobs...Its bad manners to them even though common where they live.. They much prefer the after service 'tip'...One fella said he delights in counting it all after the cruise...makes him feel 'rich' he said.. :)

My apology to anyone who was offended - not my intention..

Have happy cruisin'!

I'm not criticizing anyone for eating all of their meals in the WJ, it is your vacation. I'm just surprised. The WJ is my least favorite part of the ship. I try to eat most meals in the MDR or down on the Royal Promenade. I find the food in the WJ lukewarm, if not cold, and I'm just not a buffet guy. The only exception is the tacos in the afternoon; I usually sneak in and grab a few around 4PM.

But, eat anywhere. You are on vacation. Though the tipping thing, please tip your crew. They work really hard to make you happy.

Archived