Is there a Celebrity "Champions "program too?

hcat

There are certainly many well balanced reviews and honest complaints posted on these forums and I personally welcome them. However there are some that, in my opinion, are just over the top and many times very misleading to someone who may be looking to book a cruise.

If we have experience to the contrary should we all just sit back and not comment? According to some on these boards the only opinions that are valid are the complainers and anyone who has a good experience should keep it to himself. I think it's just as important to rebut some of the exagerations as it is to have the valid complaints.

Constructive criticism is always needed and welcomed. Vitriol and bashing are not.

If the complaining was all we saw here, no one would ever book a cruise. I don't know about the rest of you but I can't think of a business that seems to have more satisfied customers than cruising.

Hi Woodofpine :)

I agree that a cruise line would rather have a booster than a critic of its product, and could understand why they would have a program like this on the cruise line's own website. I can even understand why a travel agent would.

However, I thought that cruise critic was a special place for people to give honest feedback about their experiences at sea, and for people who are planning a cruise to use that information in their decision making process.

Now that I know this program exists, I will no longer be able to just accept posts on this forum at face value.

I agree with you 100%, Sky Sweet, this kind of program does diminish the value of the information on any cruise web-site. You will always have some who claim loudly to be neutral, but who in reality are very biased toward a particular cruise line. On top of that you add this program by RCL to encourage posters to say favorable things about RCL products and the integrity of a great informational site like this one tends to go way down in my humble opinion.

With the return of those who were on the last Millennium

cruise, before dry dock, it can only be hoped that they will be allowed to tell their story and post their opinions without being maligned or having their reports impugned by some of these types of posters.

Cheers

Sky Sweet, regardless of the RC brohaha, you should always be skeptical of every post on the internet when you have anonymous posters. You don't know the motivation of other members. Therefore you have to use your own judgement, you can not just believe everything you read. That was the way it was before this and that is the way it will be after this.

Some posters, obviously, are passionate about cruising and you can tell the ones that consistently provide good information, and you can tell the ones that no matter what happens that they are going to find something to complain about. In other words over time you learn the bias that people have both good and bad. There are many people here at CC that are tremendous resources in the Royal Caribbean forum here, some of those people were picked for exactly that reason. For the posts that they had made in the past. They were not paid to post positive things, they mostly did post positive things. I don't know all of the RCs, but of the many that I know I find them to be the best resources in the forum for anyone wanting to find out about RCI. It is a shame that they now feel like people think that they are paid shills. They are not. This witch hunt is driving good information from the boards, and the replacement for this information is not as good. So, we all lose.

jc

Can you please give an actual example of this?

Absolutely... Your response and reaction above.

As another poster suggested, you 'don't get it'. You're blind to the subtlety of the line's use of Pavlovian techniques to reinforce preferences. RCI's not interested in the least with critical objectivity, their aggenda is your continued 'championing'. (And yes - the line has an aggenda. They are not paying people to monitor forum posts, identify persistently positive posters, then contact them to reward [if only with a pat on the back] because its 'relaxing'...)

I'm not saying that any RC is not sincere. But... If you think that RCI isn't trying to influence and hence manipulate forum content then I think you're being naive. No - I'm not going to dream up some sort of integrity test to apply to RC posters. They are sincere.

But - if you can't see the issue... an issue created by the conduct of your 'favorite' cruiseline, then that's a perfect example of how the line's program has impaired your objectivity to generate a subjective response.

Absolutely... Your response and reaction above.

As another poster suggested, you 'don't get it'. You're blind to the subtlety of the line's use of Pavlovian techniques to reinforce preferences. RCI's not interested in the least with critical objectivity, their aggenda is your continued 'championing'. (And yes - the line has an aggenda. They are not paying people to monitor forum posts, identify persistently positive posters, then contact them to reward [if only with a pat on the back] because its 'relaxing'...)

I'm not saying that any RC is not sincere. But... If you think that RCI isn't trying to influence and hence manipulate forum content then I think you're being naive. No - I'm not going to dream up some sort of integrity test to apply to RC posters. They are sincere.

But - if you can't see the issue... an issue created by the conduct of your 'favorite' cruiseline, then that's a perfect example of how the line's program has impaired your objectivity to generate a subjective response.

How is RCI trying to manipulate forum content? There are many forum posters that always find the glass half-full. They don't see the negative. Does this make them naive...or maybe they have the type of personality that doesn't find fault with mundane issues. They see the big picture and the whole experience.

Wood....I am not certain that is a fair assessment, or even an accurate one since it sounds like an accusation to me.

In many, many environments people are gifted in a variety of ways as a Thank You for your business and your continued kind words. I think its a huge leap to say that as a result of this attribute that all RC individuals have then sold their soul to the devil and are under some spell. There has been no contract for exclusivity issued and that leaves people free to say and do anything they want to, suggesting they are stooges is just wrong.

This seems to me to be a most unfortunate turn of events and I feel that the kind of retribution that is occurring by the press and cruise critic members is pretty unreasonable under the circumstances. I think many decent people are being victimized as a result of clear and apparent jealousy. When I saw the one article bringing the Moran's into this issue, I knew right then and there this was not about objectivity at all, particularly since there was no mention that the cruise lines themselves have banned the Moran's from their ships coupled by the fact that plenty of ordinary posters on multiple boards found no favor whatsoever with their agendas.

So its clear to me there is a bandwagon approach designed to drag these RC's through the mud.

That is just messing with Karma.

Why is it that the idea of a "real" critique of a cruising experience is so loathsome to the industry and its champions? I'm not talking about people who just want to complain about a ship, a line, an itinerary and such, but an honest critique. On the other hand, even the people who just want to complain deserve the same opportunity as the rosy-voiced "Champions."

Why is it that people who make suggestions for ways a cruise might be improved are roundly thrashed on these boards?

And, why is it that people who've had a perfect experience (Oh, yeah, that happens all the time) feel the need to "flame" people who may not have had the same experience. By the way, if you experience everything in life perfectly, please don't "flame" me, just be thankful that you are able to do so.

I have tended to find the enjoyment of every trip, cruise or otherwise, that I have taken, but that doesn't make the problems go away. In my situations it has made the trips more memorable and thus even the problems have been important to the overall experience, but I understand that not everyone experiences problems the same way that I do, and that some problems, which I may not have experienced, may not be able to be dismissed so easily. I may be able to make lemonade from the lemons in my life, but some people may not be able to do so, and THAT'S OK!

Enough of me. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. And --

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Defensive RC champions ignore that I stated, "They are sincere" (so how is that an accusation?) and that "they are well informed and articulate"... (that is, what sort of accustion?).

I think the foregoing show that I never accused anyone of "selling their soul" (that's the sort of flamboyant comment most RCs would eschew (at least if it were directed at their preferred cruiseline;)).

But general forum influence - hence manipulation (perhaps that term implies more specificity than its due) - that is undoubtedly a primary objective of a cruise line,

1) identifying particular posters;

2) based on their generally favorable post content;

3) communicating with them individually;

4) praising and encouraging their 'brand' of post communication;

5) offering recognition and other things that would be generally be construed or categorized as 'perks' as reinforcement.

Viral marketing is stealthy.

I'm 'not envious' as the defensive imply... For some reason the inducements offered don't mean to much to me personally (I tend to spread my cruise booking around despite repeater inducements ditto airlines where I've always ignored mileage clubbing).

I'm just bemused that the RCs as a group have had a higher than average credibility on these boards. The perception of their credibility has been impaired to a degree by a marketing program of their preferred cruiseline. These sorts of marketing initiatives are not new in industry and have usually been accompanied by the concerns expressed by some of the 'cruise critics' here. Given an RC's natural concern for their cred, their preferred cruiseline has done them virtually no good service in the context of their posting cred here.

So - why is there no irritation or criticism of these 'well informed and articulate' RC posters directed toward the cruiseline whose behavior created a personal cred perception issue that now burdens them a little?

Pavlov's dog want another cookie! ;):D;)

Lee, wasn't it you in your recent review of Solstice that you thought the Cirque inspired show was not so good at all...kind of a poor man's Cirque? Even though I haven't seen she ship or the show yet, I thought I was going to have to have it out with you for that just for disappointing me in advance!

Sorry about that! :)

One thing I've read a lot lately is that "it's Cruise Critic after all" but I think that those who are universally critical should be as quickly dismissed as those who are universally positive. A movie critic is not employed simply to post every flaw they saw in a film, nor are they there to post only those things they liked. Good critics write about their expectations, their actual experience and how the two coincided or conflicted. Those who think this site being called Cruise Critic infers that only criticism is valid have missed the point. I read a post the other night where they lady (I think) said that she only believes the negative reviews. That actually made me sad for her but I guess we're all entitled to our own approach to life.

I've been accused lately of only posting sugar coated reviews and I took great exception to that, admittedly. While I will confess that my reviews might be long, overly detailed, overly subjective or unfocused, I have to say that sugar-coated is not a phrase that would ever have occurred to me.

Such is life.

Every forum, be it travel-related or other, has its "champions." Some are paid, some are company employees disguised as happy customers, and some are just people who are perpetually happy. :)

Likewise, almost all forums have those who cannot find anything positive to say. Sometimes, these people are "paid" by the competition to make potential customers doubt the competitor's product. Other times, they are just people who have become dissatisfied for whatever reason, have asked unsuccessfully for excessive compensation, and as a result, are bad-mouthing the company. And still other times, there are those who just won't ever be happy, no matter what! :mad:

Just like the scoring of many Olympic events and cheerleading competitions (since we are on the topic of cheerleading), a discriminating reader has to throw out the extreme high and low "scores" and base their opinions on the rest.

Was I disappointed to find that the RCs had been compensated? A little, at first.....but that doesn't make me discount their opinions. I have received polite and valuable information from many of them, and I have never felt that it was sugar-coated in any way. I will continue to ask for and value their opinions. And if =X= starts this program, I will feel the same way......

As another poster suggested, you 'don't get it'. You're blind ...

Defensive RC champions ignore that I stated, "They are sincere" (so how is that an accusation?) and that "they are well informed and articulate"...

that's the sort of flamboyant comment most RCs would eschew (at least if it were directed at their preferred cruiseline;)).

I can't imagine why I was offended by your earlier post.

BTW, I don't put all Celebrity Cheerleaders in the same category

Some have tried every cruise line and truly like Celebrity best

Some have only been on Celebrity, but honestly feel it is perfect in every way, so they have no desire to try another cruise line

Some like to think it has a passenger base that is superior to other cruiselines so they can identify with that image

Some feel they will get better perks from the cruiseline by assuming the role of a cheerleader

I only have a problem with posters who make it difficult for this board to function as a place for everyone who has been on a cruise to provide honest feedback about their experiences at sea, as well as those who consistently ridicule the passenger base of other cruise lines so they can feel a false sense of elitism

Sorry about that! :)

One thing I've read a lot lately is that "it's Cruise Critic after all" but I think that those who are universally critical should be as quickly dismissed as those who are universally positive. A movie critic is not employed simply to post every flaw they saw in a film, nor are they there to post only those things they liked. Good critics write about their expectations, their actual experience and how the two coincided or conflicted. Those who think this site being called Cruise Critic infers that only criticism is valid have missed the point. I read a post the other night where they lady (I think) said that she only believes the negative reviews. That actually made me sad for her but I guess we're all entitled to our own approach to life.

First, let's define "critic"

Webster defines it in the following way:

Main Entry: 1crit·ic

Pronunciation: \ˈkri-tik\

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin criticus, from Greek kritikos, from kritikos able to discern or judge, from krinein

1 a: one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique b: one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances

2: one given to harsh or captious judgment

The primary definition is not one that includes negativity. As I read it, a critic is one who makes a reasonable and analytical jusdgement about something.....

So why do some people seem to think that one cannot be a critic unless that person posts negative opinions?

I've been accused lately of only posting sugar coated reviews and I took great exception to that, admittedly. While I will confess that my reviews might be long, overly detailed, overly subjective or unfocused, I have to say that sugar-coated is not a phrase that would ever have occurred to me.

Such is life.

OK, "sugar-coated" is NOT an adjective that I would have ever attached to any of your reviews.....maybe I'm not reading them correctly, but......

Every forum, be it travel-related or other, has its "champions." Some are paid, some are company employees disguised as happy customers, and some are just people who are perpetually happy. :)

Likewise, almost all forums have those who cannot find anything positive to say. Sometimes, these people are "paid" by the competition to make potential customers doubt the competitor's product. Other times, they are just people who have become dissatisfied for whatever reason, have asked unsuccessfully for excessive compensation, and as a result, are bad-mouthing the company. And still other times, there are those who just won't ever be happy, no matter what! :mad:

Just like the scoring of many Olympic events and cheerleading competitions (since we are on the topic of cheerleading), a discriminating reader has to throw out the extreme high and low "scores" and base their opinions on the rest.

Was I disappointed to find that the RCs had been compensated? A little, at first.....but that doesn't make me discount their opinions. I have received polite and valuable information from many of them, and I have never felt that it was sugar-coated in any way. I will continue to ask for and value their opinions. And if =X= starts this program, I will feel the same way......

I like what you have presented here, and I think that many people go the distance to assist others in making their cruise an enjoyable one. We know of all those who come here without any research in advance only to moan and groan about the time the had. But that is X's fault too for their marketing that these ships and the experince are labeled as high end luxury.

I think the kicker is that there was a "free cruise offered", and I suspect that is the real issue with the dissatifaction disguised as we should have known who you are. I have seen it asked but not answered...how did anyone have a bad cruise as a result of the information that was received on these boards by a RC poster? If there is any reason to incite this kind of reaction I think there ought to be some real and tangible damage to someone's cruise as a result of the word of mouth found here and there simply is not any evidence of that.

So everyone can just keep on chewing away at this like it has impacted their lives so greatly, and I will just keep on cruising and hoping I steer clear of all the complainers if I ever encounter them on board. Here, I can just switch channels at will.

Defensive RC champions ignore that I stated, "They are sincere" (so how is that an accusation?) and that "they are well informed and articulate"... (that is, what sort of accustion?).

I think the foregoing show that I never accused anyone of "selling their soul" (that's the sort of flamboyant comment most RCs would eschew (at least if it were directed at their preferred cruiseline;)).

But general forum influence - hence manipulation (perhaps that term implies more specificity than its due) - that is undoubtedly a primary objective of a cruise line,

1) identifying particular posters;

2) based on their generally favorable post content;

3) communicating with them individually;

4) praising and encouraging their 'brand' of post communication;

5) offering recognition and other things that would be generally be construed or categorized as 'perks' as reinforcement.

Viral marketing is stealthy.

I'm 'not envious' as the defensive imply... For some reason the inducements offered don't mean to much to me personally (I tend to spread my cruise booking around despite repeater inducements ditto airlines where I've always ignored mileage clubbing).

I'm just bemused that the RCs as a group have had a higher than average credibility on these boards. The perception of their credibility has been impaired to a degree by a marketing program of their preferred cruiseline. These sorts of marketing initiatives are not new in industry and have usually been accompanied by the concerns expressed by some of the 'cruise critics' here. Given an RC's natural concern for their cred, their preferred cruiseline has done them virtually no good service in the context of their posting cred here.

So - why is there no irritation or criticism of these 'well informed and articulate' RC posters directed toward the cruiseline whose behavior created a personal cred perception issue that now burdens them a little?

Pavlov's dog want another cookie! ;):D;)

Wood...I think its post 79 and this one too that suggests that RC's are puppets.

I will take it a step further and say if you think that is true, that these RCs have been brainwashed by a perk, and that's my read, then all those who have followed and booked and sailed and been happy as a result are of such weak mindedness that they are no better than the RC's and the whole thing has trickled down to hypnosis of two groups of people.

I recognize there is now this rebound with a huge hue and cry of why on earth did I ever believe you, you lied to me. You concealed from me. There is no damage as a result, but there is a reaction that I see resulting from their independent decision to take a cruise on RCCL that they somehow earned a RC a free cruise and want to begrudge that right now as fast as they can because that was not the deal they signed up for when posting here.

There was no deal with the RC's as best as I can tell but people are just not going to get that.

Wood...I think its post 79 and this one too that suggests that RC's are puppets.

I will take it a step further and say if you think that is true, that these RCs have been brainwashed by a perk, and that's my read, then all those who have followed and booked and sailed and been happy as a result are of such weak mindedness that they are no better than the RC's and the whole thing has trickled down to hypnosis of two groups of people.

I recognize there is now this rebound with a huge hue and cry of why on earth did I ever believe you, you lied to me. You concealed from me. There is no damage as a result, but there is a reaction that I see resulting from their independent decision to take a cruise on RCCL that they somehow earned a RC a free cruise and want to begrudge that right now as fast as they can because that was not the deal they signed up for when posting here.

There was no deal with the RC's as best as I can tell but people are just not going to get that.

OK - if RCs and their defenders are offended: SORRY.

The RCs are articulate and well informed. I'll repeat it. I've never said that RC are 'brainwashed' or 'puppets' (don't put words in my pen or mouth thank you).

I'm naive. A lot of folks here are naive. As you know, there are those that regularly ask, "Do the cruise lines read these forum posts?" And the answer is - absolutely. Not only do they read them, but RCI in particular seeks to patronize certain posters (obviously for a corporate communication purpose).

Sure - we are ALL a bundle of biases. Those biases are a reflection of our experiences. I guess many of us are naive and didn't realize that certain poster biases have been targeted and actively cultivated by the cruiselines, because of their participation here on CC, rather than soley as 'typical' cruiseline product consumers. I won't apologize for those that think that active cruiseline patronizing of posters calls certain things into question. If RCs are offended by that, well the ranks of us naive continue to grow... RCs however should NEVER bridle at being cast as line cheerleaders; after all they have officially accepted that and been designated as such by corporate HQ.

I like what you have presented here, and I think that many people go the distance to assist others in making their cruise an enjoyable one. We know of all those who come here without any research in advance only to moan and groan about the time the had. But that is X's fault too for their marketing that these ships and the experince are labeled as high end luxury.

I think the kicker is that there was a "free cruise offered", and I suspect that is the real issue with the dissatifaction disguised as we should have known who you are. I have seen it asked but not answered...how did anyone have a bad cruise as a result of the information that was received on these boards by a RC poster? If there is any reason to incite this kind of reaction I think there ought to be some real and tangible damage to someone's cruise as a result of the word of mouth found here and there simply is not any evidence of that.

So everyone can just keep on chewing away at this like it has impacted their lives so greatly, and I will just keep on cruising and hoping I steer clear of all the complainers if I ever encounter them on board. Here, I can just switch channels at will.

Good luck with that, FC. After watching this mess, I think there are a lot more of them than us.

jc

OK - if RCs and their defenders are offended: SORRY.

The RCs are articulate and well informed. I'll repeat it. I've never said that RC are 'brainwashed' or 'puppets' (don't put words in my pen or mouth thank you).

I'm naive. A lot of folks here are naive. As you know, there are those that regularly ask, "Do the cruise lines read these forum posts?" And the answer is - absolutely. Not only do they read them, but RCI in particular seeks to patronize certain posters (obviously for a corporate communication purpose).

Sure - we are ALL a bundle of biases. Those biases are a reflection of our experiences. I guess many of us are naive and didn't realize that certain poster biases have been targeted and actively cultivated by the cruiselines, because of their participation here on CC, rather than soley as 'typical' cruiseline product consumers. I won't apologize for those that think that active cruiseline patronizing of posters calls certain things into question. If RCs are offended by that, well the ranks of us naive continue to grow... RCs however should NEVER bridle at being cast as line cheerleaders; after all they have officially accepted that and been designated as such by corporate HQ.

I'd rather think they were volunteers who were called upon to help others seeking information about cruising on certain lines and certain ships. I don't think it was a quid pro quo and I don't think they deserve to be disrespected any more than they already have been as I have never thought that the labeling of 'cheerleader' came as a result of anyone's tolerance. So I happen to bristle at the term.

The moral of all this is that any forum you follow has "shill" entries...well probably not all, but a high percentage. EBAY feedback is quite often similar....someone will buy an item from themselves using a different name and then praise themselves. TripAdvisor has numerous posts from TA's and tour guides camoflaged to be just offering to help.

Problem is that some/many believe that if they read it here on the internet, it must be true...it must be from someone who is just writing their honest views trying to help....I don't mean this derogatorily, but many are just technologically naive folks.

TripAdvisor, CruiseCritic and the many other similar type boards would love to have the "shills" go away...but there is no way to block them. So, we the readers have to intellegently figure out what's honest and what's less than honest. Yes...from this perspective the internet sucks....

As far as the Champion program, lots of companies do similar things....they want to sway poster sentiment towards them. They don't require only positive posts...they aren't paying people for posts (at least in dollars) but the contact with the company....perceived as a personal connection to the company....makes poster's more positive. The goal of the programs is always to make the champions feel that they are closer to RCL than the rest of us....it's the intent of the program to make that so....because they become part of "the team".

I am not a champion...I don't want to be a champion although I wouldn't mind someone who I could call at RCL who actually could do something if I had a problem. I think it's intellectually dishonest to be a champion and not disclose it....even if you think you're being fair and objective...because, by being accepting the role of being a champion, you are really, perhaps subconsciously, being swayed towards the postive.

If you want to comment on these boards and be believed on your OPINIONS...then you should clearly NOT be a champion...and maybe those of us who aren't should put that in our signatures. I am going to add it (when I figure out how). As far as factual answers, I'll accept those from anyone, including someone who is a champion, someone from the cruise line, a TA or a guide.

I was recently at a hotel in mexico....with a serious health outbreak. I reviewed it as such as did many others. In the middle of our honest reviews were two by folks who had just a wonderful time, saw no one sick, all is well, come on down. Truthful reviews or "shill" reviews....

Believe anything you read on the internet, from any source, with a grain of salt.....much is true, but not all. Unfortunately, CruiseCritic has those who believe they are posting honestly, but are prone towards making positive comments by this program. Too bad......

Boy - what a sensitive bunch the RCs are... The 'us' 'them' colloquey...

There is no conspiracy of Rcs or non-RCs. Everyone is entitled to convey opinions and information and each post is a singular thing. This is just a cruise forum... I don't know what others have posted, maybe its been unduly harsh. IMHO I don't think that I have 'dragged anyone through the mud'.

But I remain utterly amused by the RCs indignation that being actively grafted into a particular line's marketing initiatives doesn't come at a some price in personal credibility. After all, the presumption here is that poster's opinions come with no strings attached (how presumptuous of me). Those that see the issue aren't the ones that have tainted you, the cruiseline did that.

No harm, no foul. Sure. But it is interesting to know that some cruiseline seek to co-opt posters for marketing reasons.

There is no conspiracy of Rcs or non-RCs. Everyone is entitled to convey opinions and information and each post is a singular thing. This is just a cruise forum... I don't know what others have posted, maybe its been unduly harsh. IMHO I don't think that I have 'dragged anyone through the mud'.

But I remain utterly amused by the RCs indignation that being actively grafted into a particular line's marketing initiatives doesn't come at a some price in personal credibility. After all, the presumption here is that poster's opinions come with no strings attached (how presumptuous of me). Those that see the issue aren't the ones that have tainted you, the cruiseline did that.

No harm, no foul. Sure. But it is interesting to know that some cruiseline seek to co-opt posters for marketing reasons.

Wood I agree we were babes in the woods till now. Who knew they were that smart?

Hi woodofpine :)

I agree with you.

There are a few posters who I think have a vested interest in the cruise line by the nature of their posts, but it never occurred to me that any poster was recruited by them to be an advocate.

I have to admit that I never thought if any of the frequent posters were "alleged" RC'ers or not. When I joined this board in 2000, I was just seeking out basic information about Celebrity. I sure some of the posters are TA's...but more favorable posts are just people that enjoy this cruiseline....warts and all.

I'm not a RC, nor am I connected to the travel business whatsoever. I'm just a traveler that enjoys cruising. And if I post a postive comment, does this make me a RC? If so...then I'm not being compensated enough. Those ball-point pens and key chains I seem to collect at Trivia won't get me very far...

Archived