Is there a Celebrity "Champions "program too?

hcat

I'm interested in knowing who the "blogger" is, that some of you keep refering to, sometimes rather derisively? My referrence point is an article on MSNBC, by Anita Dunham-Potter, a cruise expert, travel writer and consumer advocate, whose article is at the following site:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29554810/

I do find it interesting that nobody seems to be picking up on the "travel agent" aspect of all of this. Again, before reading the article, I assumed that most of the people who not only were "cheerleaders," but also took the time to "flame" those who voiced a less than cheerful opinion, were "travel agents." Now, I and others know that there is another group out there as well.

Now, before any of you "flame" me: I have sailed on Celebrity twice. I enjoyed myself on both cruises, although, I must admit that one was superior to the other and my subsequent reviews, on Cruise Critic, said as much. I intend, and hope to cruise many more times on Celebrity, but I appreciate it when people point out problems, and I really appreciate consumer advocates who are looking out for the average person.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob...I'll read the link, but can tell you that there are very few agents that are Celebrity regulars here on this board, and I can suggest that any TA's who do post her from time to time are not among the regulars who are considered cheerleaders.

I can name names and real occupations of the perceive cheerleaders and I think you would be surprised at what you would learn. But I am not going to do that.

If anyone wants to dare ask a poster what their line of business is, that is for them to wrestle with to be that bold.

I'm interested in knowing who the "blogger" is, that some of you keep refering to, sometimes rather derisively? My referrence point is an article on MSNBC, by Anita Dunham-Potter, a cruise expert, travel writer and consumer advocate, whose article is at the following site:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29554810/

I do find it interesting that nobody seems to be picking up on the "travel agent" aspect of all of this. Again, before reading the article, I assumed that most of the people who not only were "cheerleaders," but also took the time to "flame" those who voiced a less than cheerful opinion, were "travel agents." Now, I and others know that there is another group out there as well.

Now, before any of you "flame" me: I have sailed on Celebrity twice. I enjoyed myself on both cruises, although, I must admit that one was superior to the other and my subsequent reviews, on Cruise Critic, said as much. I intend, and hope to cruise many more times on Celebrity, but I appreciate it when people point out problems, and I really appreciate consumer advocates who are looking out for the average person.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I don't know who dubbed Miss Potter a "cruise expert" but if you did a little more research into her so called cruiseing message board you will find she is more of a crack (or is it quack) pot than a cruise expert...her consumer advocacy is how she got hooked up with Brenda Moran which started this entire fiasco....dig a little deeper and you wioll uncover MANY flaws.....wanna borrow my shovel? :D

I don't know who dubbed Miss Potter a "cruise expert" but if you did a little more research into her so called cruiseing message board you will find she is more of a crack (or is it quack) pot than a cruise expert...her consumer advocacy is how she got hooked up with Brenda Moran which started this entire fiasco....dig a little deeper and you wioll uncover MANY flaws.....wanna borrow my shovel? :D

Now I remember why that name sounded so familiar! Now that's a story unto itself!

This pseudo-controversy cracks me up. I met Schplinky and Ottawapup on a Constellation Cruise about three years ago. Prior to the cruise, I had for the first time joined Cruise Critic and participated in talking about our upcoming cruise with both of these guys as well as others (which was a 7-night So. Carib.). We had a nice time meeting and chatting with them, but didn't get to spend much time (since we were busy relaxing by the pool, and they were busy on excursions).

When we returned, Schplinky wrote a review of the cruise, in which he was fairly critical of the experience. I remember feeling slightly stung, as I had thought it the best cruise ever. I have since been a Cruise Critic regular reader, and go on one to two cruises a year. I have found Lee's posts to be helpful, informative, entertaining and honest. In fact, though, every time he mentions that Constellation cruise, he is still critical and it still irritates me. :)

My point is that I don't believe, based on this personal experience, that him being an openly Royal Champion, has impinged on the honesty, quality, depth and interest of his writing. My partner and I, when planning a cruise, will (seriously) sometimes ask each other when pondering an issue about our vacation, "what does Schplinky think about that"?

I hope we'll be on a cruise again together someday, Lee, but in the meantime I will look forward to reading your posts.

I do find it interesting that nobody seems to be picking up on the "travel agent" aspect of all of this. Again, before reading the article, I assumed that most of the people who not only were "cheerleaders," but also took the time to "flame" those who voiced a less than cheerful opinion, were "travel agents."

Bob,

I don't really understand your point here. Would a travel agent really care if someone like Celebrity, Princess, Cunard or Carnival more, so long as they bought their trips from them? Why would a travel agent be upset that you liked one line and not the other?

This pseudo-controversy cracks me up. I met Schplinky and Ottawapup on a Constellation Cruise about three years ago. Prior to the cruise, I had for the first time joined Cruise Critic and participated in talking about our upcoming cruise with both of these guys as well as others (which was a 7-night So. Carib.). We had a nice time meeting and chatting with them, but didn't get to spend much time (since we were busy relaxing by the pool, and they were busy on excursions).

When we returned, Schplinky wrote a review of the cruise, in which he was fairly critical of the experience. I remember feeling slightly stung, as I had thought it the best cruise ever. I have since been a Cruise Critic regular reader, and go on one to two cruises a year. I have found Lee's posts to be helpful, informative, entertaining and honest. In fact, though, every time he mentions that Constellation cruise, he is still critical and it still irritates me. :)

My point is that I don't believe, based on this personal experience, that him being an openly Royal Champion, has impinged on the honesty, quality, depth and interest of his writing. My partner and I, when planning a cruise, will (seriously) sometimes ask each other when pondering an issue about our vacation, "what does Schplinky think about that"?

I hope we'll be on a cruise again together someday, Lee, but in the meantime I will look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks Bill.

I'd like to think I've matured a lot as a cruiser since that cruise. I think one of the things Connie had going against her [for us] was that she was our second cruise and we compared EVERYTHING to our first, instead of just enjoying the different experience.

In the dozen or so cruises since then, I have also learned that two couples on the same ship can have diametrically opposite experiences. We certainly have noticed that in reading the reviews of folks who were on Century and Solstice with us (both of which we quite liked).

We just booked a transatlantic for next spring and we certainly took Constellation's greta itinerary into account, but I could see us on that class again one day.

lee

p.s. I'd be interested to hear how you liked Osterdam. Feel free to email me via our web page in my signature.

Thanks for starting this very informative thread because I didn't realize that this group existed.

I never understood why a few posters attacked someone for being upset about not having air conditioning in their cabin during a Caribbean cruise, but now I do.

I invite everyone here to join me as Celebrity Champions-Charter members....but hurry you can ONLY be a charter member if you join before April 1st! :p HEY, its my club so I get to make the rules! :eek:

So what??? Doesn't anyone wanna be Vice President of the Celebrity Champions? :D

Thanks for starting this very informative thread because I didn't realize that this group existed.

I never understood why a few posters attacked someone for being upset about not having air conditioning in their cabin during a Caribbean cruise, but now I do.

As I recall, the poster received a free cruise because of the air-conditioning problem but was still upset because the Captain didn't come and apologize to him.

It seems as if some people would rather that there be no criticism of anything cruise related, however, they have no problem with criticizing (FLAMING) people who might make a legitimate critic of a cruise related experience.

I totally agree.

You've got to admit some of the nit piking is insane. Just this week I read a review of a first time X cruiser insisting that the Solstice in just it few short months is in a such a state of disrepair that she seems as old as all the other ships in the fleet. Now mind you this was the posters first time on a Celebrity ship.

An eye roller to me.:rolleyes:

The whole thing is bunk in my view, put about by the feeling that "some people might be getting more than me". The green eyed monster. The most destructive of all the traits us humans have.

As for A D-P being a "cruise expert" I think that may be based upon the same amount of research she does!

Phil

You've got to admit some of the nit piking is insane. Just this week I read a review of a first time X cruiser insisting that the Solstice in just it few short months is in a such a state of disrepair that she seems as old as all the other ships in the fleet. Now mind you this was the posters first time on a Celebrity ship.

I've always been amused & a little puzzled at the reactions of some of the cruise lines loyal fans (doesn't matter which cruise line, it happens in most all forums here) that take such exception to and get so angry about negative comments about "their" favorite cruise line. :confused:

To me, everyone has a right to their own opinion, and to state it here. If someone has a bad experience on a cruise and comes here to report it, why would others get so uptight about it? I mean, honestly, unless you are the President of the company, why would you (generic you, not you in particular) take it so personal?

Even if it is truly a troll, only here to stir up debate, why even take the time to blast off a scathing reply? Why not just laugh as I do and ignore him?

I've always been amused & a little puzzled at the reactions of some of the cruise lines loyal fans (doesn't matter which cruise line, it happens in most all forums here) that take such exception to and get so angry about negative comments about "their" favorite cruise line. :confused:

To me, everyone has a right to their own opinion, and to state it here. If someone has a bad experience on a cruise and comes here to report it, why would others get so uptight about it? I mean, honestly, unless you are the President of the company, why would you (generic you, not you in particular) take it so personal?

Even if it is truly a troll, only here to stir up debate, why even take the time to blast off a scathing reply? Why not just laugh as I do and ignore him?

Yes!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Yeah, I read that, and just sort of shook my head.

Okay, I haven't been on Solstice, but I'm pretty sure it's not quite ready for the scrapyard.:cool:

I agree that some people nit pick, but on the other hand there are others who have very valid complaints, such as lack of cabin air conditioning on a Caribbean cruise, and get attacked by the Celebrity cheerleaders.

BTW - I enjoy reading your posts because you are not either a Celebrity Cheerleader or someone who finds fault with everything. Your reviews are very fair and balanced and I wish more people would follow your lead :)

If you're a cruiseline you'd rather have a booster than a critic. This forum isn't called 'CruiseBooster' nor is it called 'InforCruise'. Sure, CC can be informative - but its an opinion forum by its own title.

There's a place for ads but the posts themselves aren't supposed to be that place. The RC business is subtle marketing but its also subterfuge. That's why it rubs some the wrong way. I'm glad the RC members let it be known. I'm sure that they as a group they are well informed and articulate. But - criticism and objectivity/subjectivity is almost certainly not their strong suit.

This is just a discussion forum, its not a jury - if it were a jury a plaintiff would likely have grounds to exclude an RC member. Sometimes posters here act like plaintiffs and sometimes they ask the 'critic' forum to act as a jury... Inevitably, RCI hopes and expects RCs to be their 'champions' - I guess its good to know who those folks are...

I'm glad the RC members let it be known. I'm sure that they as a group they are well informed and articulate. But - criticism and objectivity/subjectivity is almost certainly not their strong suit.

Can you please give an actual example of this?

The more things change ......

I'm soo glad I peeked in , NOT!

Tbelian, If you are going to quote me, I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't take the liberty to use part of my quote out of context, and then respond to that distortion of my original post.

However, you did illustrate why I have a problem with the Celebrity Champions Progam and for that I should be grateful.

If you're a cruiseline you'd rather have a booster than a critic. This forum isn't called 'CruiseBooster' nor is it called 'InforCruise'. Sure, CC can be informative - but its an opinion forum by its own title.

There's a place for ads but the posts themselves aren't supposed to be that place. The RC business is subtle marketing but its also subterfuge. That's why it rubs some the wrong way. I'm glad the RC members let it be known. I'm sure that they as a group they are well informed and articulate. But - criticism and objectivity/subjectivity is almost certainly not their strong suit.

This is just a discussion forum, its not a jury - if it were a jury a plaintiff would likely have grounds to exclude an RC member. Sometimes posters here act like plaintiffs and sometimes they ask the 'critic' forum to act as a jury... Inevitably, RCI hopes and expects RCs to be their 'champions' - I guess its good to know who those folks are...

Hi Woodofpine :)

I agree that a cruise line would rather have a booster than a critic of its product, and could understand why they would have a program like this on the cruise line's own website. I can even understand why a travel agent would.

However, I thought that cruise critic was a special place for people to give honest feedback about their experiences at sea, and for people who are planning a cruise to use that information in their decision making process.

Now that I know this program exists, I will no longer be able to just accept posts on this forum at face value.

Catnip...I think the internet forums are for communicating thoughts and opinions, yet I don't see anger in reactions as much as I see a divide when people hold fast to their thoughts, observations, impressions and beliefs. I think that any legitimate issue is easily distiguished by those that are not really enough of a big deal for reasonable people go on about and for those who have a vast amount of experience on the ships and in this brand, I think its likely to find a lack of patience with small things that are magnified into big deals.

I am not convinced that the divide that can occur is as a result of anyone taking a flaw one finds while on board personally, but it's probably perceived to be something being taken personally when an idea is challenged or even poo-poo'd, keeping aside those who post reviews with a bit of a desire to incite an uproar. And that we know does happen too.

I really beleive the pupose of these forums is to invite an exchange of information, and sometimes people can ignore what is said, or bite their tongue, or not. :o

And why is that person's opinion any less valuable than anyone else's? I was on the Solstice's inaugural and the lawn was already worn out and "resting', there were sewage smells at odd places around the ship, the aft elevator cables banged and clanged on sea days, the floors around the beverage stations in the buffet area were always sticky, the sound levels in the theater were deafening, and our table for four was so close to the next table that the waiter treated the two as one table for 10 and thus we didn't get our entrees until the other table had finished their appetizers - and they were consistently 10-15 minutes late to dinner, and our Sunset Veranda cabin balcony was covered by a layer of soot every morning.

I'll stick with the old plow horse Mercury any day instead of another cruise on a race horse Solstice.

Does that make your eyes roll?

Can you please give an actual example of this?

Lee, wasn't it you in your recent review of Solstice that you thought the Cirque inspired show was not so good at all...kind of a poor man's Cirque? Even though I haven't seen she ship or the show yet, I thought I was going to have to have it out with you for that just for disappointing me in advance!

And why is that person's opinion any less valuable than anyone else's? I was on the Solstice's inaugural and the lawn was already worn out and "resting', there were sewage smells at odd places around the ship, the aft elevator cables banged and clanged on sea days, the floors around the beverage stations in the buffet area were always sticky, the sound levels in the theater were deafening, and our table for four was so close to the next table that the waiter treated the two as one table for 10 and thus we didn't get our entrees until the other table had finished their appetizers - and they were consistently 10-15 minutes late to dinner, and our Sunset Veranda cabin balcony was covered by a layer of soot every morning.

I'll stick with the old plow horse Mercury any day instead of another cruise on a race horse Solstice.

Does that make your eyes roll?

If you are asking me to let you know what I think of all your notes, this this is a good example of setting out a challenge.

The reality is that the 1st few sailings were a mixture of both praise and commentary of a variety of issues that you noted here unlike business as usual aspects of cruising on Celebrity ships.

Despite the fact that others indicated that some of these were unfortunate start up issues, and I happend to think Celebrity fell down on the job for this rollout, you have decided that for other reasons you do not like this ship.

That is your choice, and I am not bothered by it at all, but I will certainly take my cruise in two weeks even though I know that the lawn needs rest and the elevator cabs may not be ones with sealed wall construction. Those are the ones that make my eye roll...since you asked.

Archived