Timing for gifts for stewards/servers

ncmomof2

I think it is lovely that you intend to thank your servers and stewards with something more than their share of the Hotel Service Charge.

There are many posters who have commented on these boards that crew quarters are quite tiny with limited storage space ... for that reason, good ole fashioned paper money often is the most welcome thank you gift of all. Crew then can purchase whatever they want/need, or forward the cash to their dependents back home.

For our stewards (we had two last cruise, a lead and an assistant), our last evening onboard we left addressed envelopes on the bed before we went to dinner, knowing they would find them when they did evening turndown.

We brought envelopes with a cash gift to our table stewards and wine stewards on the last dinner. We slipped it to them very discreetly. We tipped the room stewards on the last morning as we were leaving. I do like the idea of leaving the room stewards tip on the bed on the last night. We may do that last time. We also gave a tip to the Yum Yum man this time. He told me that I was a very beautiful woman and then apologized to my husband for noticing. He was surely full of it, but I love that kid. I remind my husband of that from time to time who thought it was hilarious that I wanted to tip him.

We normally tip in Cash at the end of the cruise..We've also given prepaid Intl calling cards..

Agree the crew has limited storage space & also a limited weight allowance when they fly home...However, I think it's a lovely thought to give a personal gift in addition to cash as long as it's a small gift to a special crew member.....

As a matter of fact to quote Joyce Gleeson Adamidis in an article "Under the Captain's table" :

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

Quote: I should mention as well, that even for the Captain and me, we tipped those who took care of us; after all, they are serving us too. Not only do we tip them with cash, but with other means that we knew were important to them.

It is difficult to think of that extra something to give to a crew member. One factor that comes to mind is the fact their contract lasts from six to nine months (some longer); thus, their weight allowance is limited and their luggage stuffed. If you have created a special bond with someone and want to show appreciation, know that crew members love gifts that represent you or your hometown, whether it's a fun T-shirt or unusual chocolates. Other great choices are an international phone card to call home, a $2 bill or a $1 gold coin (these are fun, but make sure the staffer knows what they are), a keychain from your home (I was given one from the Buffalo Bills Super Bowl game in the early 90's; I cherish it), a charm for a bracelet or a necklace, or a Mont Blanc pen. If you become close then take them with you for a meal off the ship, or on a tour. It is something from you. Just keep it small. Unquote

We take a great deal of reading material on our cruises, & I always offer them to our Stewards when we are finished with them..

Enjoy your cruise..:)Betty

No extra tips from us. We always bring Hershey Kisses along (we live about 30 minutes from Hershey) and did do this two weeks ago...we got off the ship on Valentine's Day.

We did ask our stewards and they said they did like chocolate, otherwise we wouldn't have done it.

IMG_3753.jpg.bd0f28f794b7ed8dd4b7107732b3e89d.jpg

Wow, you're extremely thoughtful...never thought about hometown souvenirs. On our last cruise, we gave our steward a box of chocolates (in addition to a cash tip at the end of the cruise) that we got ashore when we visited the Cadbury chocolate factory in Hobart, Tasmania. Anyhow, I agree that cash tips is the way to go...that's what we've always done. For our waiter and jr waiter, we give them the cash, in a white envelope, after dinner on our last evening. As for our cabin steward (didn't realize that there are usually 2 stewards...ooops...must look into that on our next cruise), we use to give him the envelope on the morning we disembark. But we found that it's quite hectic that morning and we now give it the day before disemarkation when we actually have time for a decent goodbye conversation. (We were on a 31-day cruise and got to know our steward so it was nice to have the extra time to say goodbye.) Hope this helps.

We generaly give cash gifts.

One time we got to know one of waiters fairly well.

He told us that he had a new baby at home and was going home soon.

At the next port we bought a stuffed teddy bear for his child.

It's the thought that counts, but cash pays the bills

I have told this story before......

Our table mates boarded the cruise with a suitcase of exquisitely wrapped presents from home, for their favorite crew members. This was a primary topic of dinner time conversation for 11 ( long) nights.

On the 12th evening, they brought several of these gifts to the Dining Room and insisted that the reciepients open them on the spot so they could watch their faces.

Inside each box was a nicely framed photograph of themselves !

You would have thought each crew member had been presented with $1 Million. They never missed a beat. It was quite a performace by some incredible wait staff.

Assuming a crew member is working a 9 month contract, and every week just 5 out of umpteen passengers in their care, gift them, they will have accumulated more than 200 gifts. Where would they store them? What might it cost to ship them home?

I like to give the crew the "gift of dignity", to decide how/when to spend a cash gratuity, above and beyond the Hotel Service Charge.

I have told this story before......

Our table mates boarded the cruise with a suitcase of exquisitely wrapped presents from home, for their favorite crew members. This was a primary topic of dinner time conversation for 11 ( long) nights.

On the 12th evening, they brought several of these gifts to the Dining Room and insisted that the reciepients open them on the spot so they could watch their faces.

Inside each box was a nicely framed photograph of themselves !

You would have thought each crew member had been presented with $1 Million. They never missed a beat. It was quite a performace by some incredible wait staff.

Assuming a crew member is working a 9 month contract, and every week just 5 out of umpteen passengers in their care, gift them, they will have accumulated more than 200 gifts. Where would they store them? What might it cost to ship them home?

I like to give the crew the "gift of dignity", to decide how/when to spend a cash gratuity, above and beyond the Hotel Service Charge.

I gather from your post that you do not agree with giving small gifts to Crew members & you obviously believe that Joyce Gleason Adamidis, the wife of a Captain, does not know what she is talking about, even though she was a crewmember for many years..

Do you really believe your story has any bearing on the small gifts that the OP wanted to give to her Stewards..:confused:There is no comparison!The OP did not ask for our approval, she asked when she should give these little gifts..Why equate her small gifts with the gifts given by the people you dined with & look at everything in such a clinical way?

Even though we don't give gifts, there is no reason to look down on someone who wants to give a little personalized gift.. Do you really believe that HAL's Stewards are so callous as to not appreciate graciousness.. Perhaps her little gifts will be just as appreciated as your "gift of dignity":rolleyes:,

Betty

Just FYI since this seems to have been a more controversial topic than I dreamed, the "small gifts" are small in both size and value -- ball caps from the university where DH and I both work. I got them because I read Joyce Gleeson Adamidis point of view (although I don't think she was quoted as the source...:confused:) and it made an impression on me. Not bulky, won't change whether we add additional monetary trips, not overly personal on giver or receiver's part, and functional as well as small.

I really like the idea of a baseball cap. My husband is a retired fireman and when we went to Mexico we would often be "hit up" for one of his fire dept hats or tee shirts with the "FIRE" emblem. We got to the point where we would often bring a few extra with us. On our last cruise we would see the crew when they went ashore wearing ball caps. My guess is they would love a ball cap from a university....especially if it is from UCLA.

I really like the idea of a baseball cap. My husband is a retired fireman and when we went to Mexico we would often be "hit up" for one of his fire dept hats or tee shirts with the "FIRE" emblem. We got to the point where we would often bring a few extra with us. On our last cruise we would see the crew when they went ashore wearing ball caps. My guess is they would love a ball cap from a university....especially if it is from UCLA.

Thanks! Not UCLA, but one of those NC schools famous for their basketball team...;)

Hmmm. I enjoyed Hammybees (?) story. It was amusing and added her thoughts to the discussion. Not every post has to be spot on with advice for the OP.

Here's what I learned:

Baseballs hats/ money= good

Framed photos/bulky junk=bad

Just FYI since this seems to have been a more controversial topic than I dreamed, the "small gifts" are small in both size and value -- ball caps from the university where DH and I both work. I got them because I read Joyce Gleeson Adamidis point of view (although I don't think she was quoted as the source...:confused:) and it made an impression on me. Not bulky, won't change whether we add additional monetary trips, not overly personal on giver or receiver's part, and functional as well as small.

That's perfect...You might want to find out when some of the stewards plan to have an afternoon off in Port & give them one of your caps just before that..It doesn't have to be at beginning or end of the cruise....

Have a wonderful cruise..Betty

Now that you can create and print greeting cards at home, DH found a thank you card that he personalized with the ship's name. He plans to use these on our next cruise to hand out extra tips at the end of the trip. I'm sure some computer geek out there knows how you could print them off onboard after adding the staff's names to the design.

Hmmm. I enjoyed Hammybees (?) story. It was amusing and added her thoughts to the discussion. Not every post has to be spot on with advice for the OP.

Here's what I learned:

Baseballs hats/ money= good

Framed photos/bulky junk=bad

Thank you hammybee, I think your story made a great point. A gift may not really be a gift, but a burden of what do I do with this?? I remember feeling that way when an aunt and uncle gave me a picture of themselves for christmas. But now I am off topic. Small and useful with cash is probably the way to go!

Unfortunately, I suspect that cash is indeed king. After listening to the backgrounds of some of the crew we really got to know over the years and who all they support 'back home', we only give cash now and do so religiously, excepting those rare few who just don't perform up to standard.

harry

In addition to extra tips at the end of the cruise, we always bring gift packs for our stewards. We assemble a collection of chocolates, shampoos, razors, skin-care products and socks. When we first started cruising, these were the items our stewards said they'd most like to have. If not wanted, they can trade or regift to other crew members. Basically, all of the same things that your own children might want if they were away at school and short on spending money. We've never met a steward yet that didn't go out of his way to make our cruises wonderful experiences and it's a joy to be able to offer a token of appreciation.

Archived