bringing alcohol

gacruiser

If you buy liquor in plastic bottles and pack that in your checked luggage, what are the chances it will be identified as contraband as the bags come aboard the ship? Anyone tried that? Would the shape of the plastic bottle tell the person watching the scanner that you were up to no good?

Plastic or glass, the scanner will see the bottle. It's the shape that the scanning personel look for. So, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of being caught with the plastic bottle. Here's a link to what the scanner picture looks like:

http://airlineworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/xray_bag.jpg

CG

If you buy liquor in plastic bottles and pack that in your checked luggage, what are the chances it will be identified as contraband as the bags come aboard the ship? Anyone tried that? Would the shape of the plastic bottle tell the person watching the scanner that you were up to no good?

Many people buy in the plastic to start with, but... they know all about this. These are not so much metal scanners but image scanners. And, no you can not just take water bottle and fill it.

Husband taes his 'leatherman' (handy tool with pocket knife), checked luggage on airlines but in his pocket on ship. They want to see it but always say okay.

Friend wrapped her box of wine like a gift, no one said a word.

If you reuse your mouthwash etc bottles, don't try shampoo.....You'll be the one blowing bubbles from your martini glass.......

I have had vodka in a water bottle carry only, only 3/4 full and open....many times no one has said a word....now don't try to carry on water on an airplane though.

Rum runners is just a name, they are inexpensives and mail fast. However, you can go to any outdoor/sport store and pick up similar items but with different names. Some are stronger than others (like for freezing weather), our's were called 'platupus', work the same though.

We were called to the naughty room one time, for 'plastic tonic water', next to the platupu filled with vodka....Once they saw it was not liquor....everything was fine.

One thing to remember, during Spring Break I guarantee they are much tougher and have twice the lookout as any other time....Guess how come :D:D:D

One thing to remember, during Spring Break I guarantee they are much tougher and have twice the lookout as any other time....Guess how come :D:D:D

That is the truth.. I have been on at least 10 cruises and this past March 8th on the Pearl was the first time I have been caught with liqour. I have always bought the 1.75 bottle of Jack and this time had to go to naughty room. There were a lot of spring breakers on board.

That is the truth.. I have been on at least 10 cruises and this past March 8th on the Pearl was the first time I have been caught with liqour. I have always bought the 1.75 bottle of Jack and this time had to go to naughty room. There were a lot of spring breakers on board.

Guess you could say you were hijacked!! :D

They collect the fee as you board and they don't care where you drink it. They just want the money!

I assume that they just charge the $15 to your ship account? Or do they want $$$$ on the spot?

B. Cole

Was it in a rumrunner?

Last year my SIL had 3 bottles of wine in checked luggage. She had to pay $15/ bottle corkage in the "naughtly room".

We had 2 boxes of Black Box wine (that has won many awards) in a checked small suitcase. Bubble wrap and multiple zip lock bags. It was the first suitcase delivered to our cabin.

Thought I'd give a Spring Break update...

Just got off of the NCL Majesty. They are very strict about all of the bottles, the more bottles you have in your bag, the more likely they are to get searched in the 'naughty' room. They opened up all of your bottles, shake them and smell them.

One bag with 2 big rum runner flasks made it to the room with no problems. There was only shampoo and conditioner in that bag.

The other had only 1 big rum runner flask but had about 5 different hair products. They opened all of the bottles which didn't have alcohol and shoved their hands throughout the suitcase. Fortunately, the rum runner flask was wrapped in a jacket and was not found as things were being sifted around.

Just a heads up to all you spring breakers... I saw people smuggling alcohol in shampoo bottles, trying to color their Listerine bottles full of alcohol, use hydrogen peroxide, check the seals on any water bottles... they are out in full force... just thought I'd thank rum runners for getting me through a full search of the luggage saving my nice 750 of tequila to drink for the rest of the cruise.

Just back from the 3/8 Pearl...brought the 3L box wine - bag taken out of box and into a plastic shoe box - and got called to the naughty room. Was shocked to get caught after everything I read on here, but relieved when the naughty room attendant simply charged me $15 corkage for all 3 liters (and not per 750ml, as I've read, and/or not allowing it at all, per cruise ship rules - no boxed wine. Guess it was 'cause it wasn't in a box anymore lol.)

The guy in front of us (spring breaker) was not so lucky. Had 3 big (liter and a half?) liquor bottles confiscated. Bet that final bar bill was a bit higher than he'd planned. ;)

I was sorry to see there was a line of fellow naughty room visitors behind us when we left, but at least we could all laugh about it. :D They must be cracking down.

so what is the consensus on the box wine....maybe gift wrap the box? Friends are joining us on the cruise, so can honestly address to them and "happy anniversary" on the box. we're going to Alaska from Seattle, May 31, so we should be ok I hope.

Just back from the Pearl -

IF you're so inclined (and not a big drinker) consider using the small plastic bottles you can buy at any large discount store for toiletries. I have reason to believe one could load two of these per toiletries kit and they would appear just like shampoo and creme rinse.

Also, I know some ;) have been able to pack small numbers of plastic Bailey's nips in their checked luggage for use with coffee or on ice cream on the balcony...

Finally, I was able to re-board after an excursion with a water bottle in my shopping bag - no questions asked. They do have to process large numbers of people, so they don't have the resources to check out each and every container.

P.S. We still had a fairly large bar tab on the ship for meals, socializing, tastings, etc.

We packed two boxes of wine. Wine cubes from Target...we also bought the neoprene box "koozie" to help it stay more chilled in the room. We had some more stuff in soda bottles. Others on our ship told us they had several regular liquor bottles in their luggage and nobody said a word! It sounds like they've been tougher on some cruises than others. Maybe some ships have better technology?

We packed two boxes of wine. Wine cubes from Target...we also bought the neoprene box "koozie" to help it stay more chilled in the room. We had some more stuff in soda bottles. Others on our ship told us they had several regular liquor bottles in their luggage and nobody said a word! It sounds like they've been tougher on some cruises than others. Maybe some ships have better technology?

I think it's just a matter of numbers. There are only so many bags that can be really scrutinized through xray... Which means, a high number of pax smuggle... Which, according to this thread, would be true. LOL

I just received my "pre-cruise info booklet" & it states that "no alcoholic beverages of any kind may be brought on the ship," whereas in the past it said whatever about the wine & the corakage fee.... Somebody please tell me you can still bring wine!.... From reading pervious posts it looks like wine is still legit, but just wanted to double-check! Thanks!

I have been following intently this conversation and have read so many conflicting comments.

One of the girls going with us next week called NCL and our travel agent who both said that water and soda are prohibited from being brought on board. Yet I have read over and over that it is allowed.

I'm going to attempt to bring wine boxes. Do I or don't I take it out of the box? One person said to carry it in your carry-on another person said whatever you do don't put it in your carryon.

Is there any right answer or just lots of opinions?

I just read that the cheapest wine was $22 and a bucket of beer is $25. At these prices I will have to take out a loan. I must get my boxes on board!

I have been following intently this conversation and have read so many conflicting comments.

One of the girls going with us next week called NCL and our travel agent who both said that water and soda are prohibited from being brought on board. Yet I have read over and over that it is allowed.

I'm going to attempt to bring wine boxes. Do I or don't I take it out of the box? One person said to carry it in your carry-on another person said whatever you do don't put it in your carryon.

Is there any right answer or just lots of opinions?

I just read that the cheapest wine was $22 and a bucket of beer is $25. At these prices I will have to take out a loan. I must get my boxes on board!

p.s. I've never been to the naughty room and I'm scared

Oh, don't be scared.. think of all the friends you'll meet! Water and pop are fine. Don't ask NCL or your TA.. they just follow "policy." Trust us.. they're fine.

Wine is up to you. I'd take bottles so that I'd be sure to get them on, but the bladders probably won't be detected, and if you take it through security in the box, I'd bet you'd just pay a corkage for it.

If you're asking for guarantees, there are none. You may get busted, you may not.

Four bucks for a beer is too much?? What'd you expect? And I've rarely been to a land based restaurant where wine was less than $22.

Anyway.. Hope you have a great cruise, and come here with your questions! LOL :p

p.s. I've never been to the naughty room and I'm scared

The different opinions about the wine reflect different goals. People who put it in their checked luggage are hoping to go undiscovered, not pay a corkage fee, and are willing to risk the naughty room. If you fear the naughty room, take it in your hand luggage. Then, the worst that happens is you pay the corkage fee - no naughty room worries. As for in the box or out of the box, I can't advise you. Again, those answers depend on whether you are trying to fool NCL.

Archived