"LIVE" from Norwegian GEM / March 7, 2009

Radio

Hello everyone. . . I took one of the first tenders over to great Stirrup Cay. The tenders are huge !

They are the tenders that NCL Norway used to use. They use to keep the Little Norway 1 &2 up on the bow of the Norway . They have a unique method for passengers at Great Stirrup Cay. There is no dock, like other private islands. . .instead the Tenders pull right up to the beach, and the bow of the tender is lowered as a ramp and you can just walk right off.

There is a lot of shade at GSC, and you can choose to sit out in the sun if you like. They have a mid day lunch which is very good ! Nice burgers, chicken, hot dogs, spicy rice, and spicy baked beans. There are waiters serving beer, sodas, and water everywhere !

If you want to purchase items from the local Bahamians, you must bring cash. You Freestyle card will not work with them. (Ooops I for got to bring cash)

You can use your card for Bar service, Snorkel Equipment, Rafts, Mats, Kayaks, and Massages.

I talked to several passengers who went over to the Light House on GSC, they said it was about a mile each way.

The cruise Staff was there to get passengers involved with many activities there. There was also a Live band that was very good.

The skies were clear, and the beach was very inviting.

I never saw any bugs that I kept reading about. It was a very relaxing day to just do nothing, and read (and maybe a short nap )

I really did enjoy the beach. . . I would love to come back here again !

Here are a few pics from Great Stirrup Cay

Radio

I loved the beautiful blue water here !

N1.JPG

We had a full tender

N10.JPG

Gem as viewed from the tender

N8.JPG

She pulls up right on the beach. . . Nice

N11.JPG

Picnic Tables areas. . . They had tons of these, and many were shaded.

N14.JPG

View from over at the Boat House

N16.JPG

Here are a few more pics. . . More pics tomorrow.

I will try to check in later tonight to answer as many questions as I can.

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Norwegian Gem viewed from the rocks

N15.JPG

It was a busy beach day

N20.JPG

Lots of passengers came ashore

N17.JPG

Little Stirrup Cay Tender had a nice water sprays to get the sand off your feet !

N19.JPG

Gem as we were heading back. . .

N5.JPG

Back at the ship after a great day !

N18.JPG

Hello everyone. . .The Gem is pulling up the anchor and we are sailing to Nassau, It is only about 70nm, so we will be sailing a little slow tonight.

We are scheduled to arrive at 8AM, and we will be there all day until Midnight. . .

The forecast for tomorrow is similar to today, except there may be a small shower in the morning.

I don’t have a planned excursion tomorrow. I have been to Nassau many times. I may head over to Atlantis, or get a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton. I might go over to the Ardastra Gardens, or Pirate Museum. . . I guess I’ll decide when I get there. . .

Thanks for all of the very nice comments. . . This so far has been a very relaxing cruise.

Thanks for tuning in. . . White Hot Party is Tonight !

Here are a few more pics. . .I will try to post some pics of all the Public Rooms on Friday.

Radio

Tenders are bringing back the final passengers from Great Stirrup Cay

R1.JPG

We say farewell to Great Stirrup Cay. . .until next time !

R3.JPG

Norwegian Gem AFT

R2.JPG

Thanks Radio,

For stuff from the locals on GSC you said we need cash. Bahamian or American? How much Bahamian cash should one bring on this cruise as this is the first stop, I'm sure there were no banks available to exchange. Do they exchange on the ship? At what cost/exchange?

Thanks,

Kate

Radio, The picture special that you are explaining, is that $89 for every portrait they put out of you in the gallery? I was on the Gem last week Feb 28 -March 7 and purchased many photos ($189) to be exact, i will be so dissapointed if the special is now $89 for all of the photos. It took me forever to go through and pick out my favorites, 8x10 were $25 each!!! Do you think they throw away all the photos from the previous sailing??

Your day to day updates are great, makes me feel like i'm on vacation again. Glad you are having better weather than we had. It was cold and windy last week. :O(

Please fill me in on any other info you may have on the photo specials.

I almost want to call Norwegian knowing i spend so much $$ on photos.

Thanks and have a great week!!!

Radio, thank you for yet another wonderful "LIVE" report. A few questions....

*I THINK the time at port is under 6 hours in both Bahama ports? Is that enough time to go see Atlantis?

*Atlantis: Is there an NCL excursion to see the indoor aquarium??? I'm hoping to do that, instead of the water slides.

*Port Canaveral: What time did you make it off the boat, and do you feel there's enough time to drive to Sea World and spend a few hours?

*Can you give a few more details on the food? Inquiring tummies want to know :)

Thank you.

Radio, The picture special that you are explaining, is that $89 for every portrait they put out of you in the gallery? I was on the Gem last week Feb 28 -March 7 and purchased many photos ($189) to be exact, i will be so dissapointed if the special is now $89 for all of the photos. It took me forever to go through and pick out my favorites, 8x10 were $25 each!!! Do you think they throw away all the photos from the previous sailing??

Your day to day updates are great, makes me feel like i'm on vacation again. Glad you are having better weather than we had. It was cold and windy last week. :O(

Please fill me in on any other info you may have on the photo specials.

I almost want to call Norwegian knowing i spend so much $$ on photos.

Thanks and have a great week!!!

The Photo Frenzy started this week ! and yes. . .EVERY Photo that NCL takes you can have for 1 price. (You must be in the photo)

Embark pics, debark pics, dinner pics, Captain pics. . .all photos are yours for one price.

I would say that your photos are gone. . .sorry.

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Radio, thank you for yet another wonderful "LIVE" report. A few questions....

*I THINK the time at port is under 6 hours in both Bahama ports? Is that enough time to go see Atlantis?

*Atlantis: Is there an NCL excursion to see the indoor aquarium??? I'm hoping to do that, instead of the water slides.

*Port Canaveral: What time did you make it off the boat, and do you feel there's enough time to drive to Sea World and spend a few hours?

*Can you give a few more details on the food? Inquiring tummies want to know :)

Thank you.

I will check on the Atlantis Excursions for you. . . I have loved the food in every restaurant I have been in . . . It is tough to compare yet, because I still have ha few more to go. I have been to several, and will provide a report Card when the cruise is over. . (and the Internet is cheaper :o)

Radio

Thanks Radio,

For stuff from the locals on GSC you said we need cash. Bahamian or American? How much Bahamian cash should one bring on this cruise as this is the first stop, I'm sure there were no banks available to exchange. Do they exchange on the ship? At what cost/exchange?

Thanks,

Kate

ALL Ports on this cruise take US Dollars. . . No worries

Radio

;);)

Hello everyone. We pulled into Nassau as scheduled at about 730AM, and we were tied up at 8AM. The ship has been cleared for all passengers, and the weather is sunny, and warm.

The Monarch of the Seas, and Norwegian Sky is with us here today. Carnival Sensation left early today at 6AM.

The White Hot Party last night was nice ! There was great music, and a lot of NCL Entertainment Staff to get everyone in the mood to party. . . I was glad I was able to stay awake long enough to at least be able to enjoy the party a little.

Here are a few pics from this morning as we pulled into Nassau. . .

More pics later ! Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

The Sun comes up over Atlantis Resort in Nassau

W25.JPG

We pass the Lighthouse on our way into port

W26.JPG

British Colonial Hilton

W27.JPG

Monarch of the Seas and Norwegian Sky already docked

W28.JPG

Sky Passengers watching as we dock. . .

W29.JPG

Norwegian Sky

W24.JPG

I am using 3 different cameras . . . Sony DSC H10 / Sony DSC W50 /Sony DSC W120.

The last 2 are small and easy to fit your pocket ;)

Radio

Thanks Radio- enjoy your cruise & keep up the good work

Sailed on the Gem last April and am loving the memories seeing Radio's great pictures and reading her posts.

Regarding Atlantis, we booked a room for one night at the Comfort Suites within walking distance to the Atlantis. The rate was cheaper than Atlantis and we were allowed to use all the facilities at Atlantis for the day. The ship stayed in port until 11 PM so we put in a full day and it was our favorite memory of the trip. Took a taxi from the dock for under $10. The hotel issued a wrist band which is checked at all exits from the lobby to the pool and beach areas. The lazy river and slides are great fun.

Radio,

Another great "Live" report. Gives me something to look forward to everyday leading up to our cruise next month ;)

-Rick

Thanks Rick. I am sure you will enjoy your Cruise ! !

Radio

Thanks for the great pics and posts. Your weather looks terrific. Hope we have the same luck as you. Can't wait - only 10 more days before we get some much needed sun after the looooong winter we've had in the Northeast. Keep up the great work! Your timing was perfect for us.

I reserved my rental through Budget(in Cape Canaveral), and they do not require a credit car to pre reserve from the internet.

They close a 6 also, but they always pick you up at the terminal, and take people back via shuttle if you are a cruise ship passenger. I always rent here. I was on the Majesty in January, and they ran a late shuttle then to. . . (The shuttle operates until 9PM)

They are great there. . I recommend them.

Radio

Hi Radio---

Just wanted to thank you for the recommendation re the car rental. I'll keep this in my notes as well. Enjoying your posts and pictures!!!

Archived