How do You keep Cruising fresh & exciting

arcone

Hi

First, Cruising is the best vacation I have found, it fits perfect for my husband and myself as we both have different kinds of cruising styles. I like to be involded and totally relaxed with no cares, my husband basically just does nothing. that is he there to relax and not be involded.

My question is after cruising several times I find myself comparing one cruise to another. Even seem to be a little more picky about things that on first couple of cruise would go by the way side. How do you keep the fresh outlook that you experience on your first cruise on your latter cruises. I am not sure if I am expressing my self clearly. I am very grateful that I can cruise and look forwward to it , just notice on the last couple of cruise something seems to be missing. I have a feb and Sept cruise plan for 2005.

We're on our 5th...and almost changed to an all inclusive beachfront resort...BUT couldn't seem to do it....what we do is book out of different ports of origin...Miami one cruise, tampa another this time San Diego..we get into our depature port a couple of days before the cruise leaves and check out the city..so it's lilke 2 vacations in one......this plus of course done the Eastern,done the Western, done the Southern..so now we do the Mexican Riveria..etc...even if we repeat the cruising ports of call , as long as we start form a diiferent place..it's new...Galvestone...New Orleans...mis and match and keep cruising.

bob& france

Not that I know, considering I've been on 2 cruises only....BUT i'm guessing changing up the cruise line maybe, the ports, departure port, ship, or even who you go with :) could do the trick...

Or you can try a THEME cruise! You could cruise with the Florida Marlins, Kelly Ripa, or even Wacko Jacko...that would be fun. (No children allowed...)

The easiest way for me is to choose different ships and different itineraries each time I cruise. It's always like the first time! :)

That explains how I keep each cruises refreshing as well. I for one love something different each time. Another element that makes cruising exciting is the many people on the ships. The wonderful fellow passengers are 50% of what makes a cruise work so well.

get involved on the roll call board. Spend months and weeks posting and getting excited and then when you all really meet face to face, you realize what good friends you have become.!

I dont know if Carnival helps with the party's that form from roll call, but Royal and Celebrity do. You registar on there web site and they send invites, set aside a place on the ship and its great.

If Carnival does not do this, then you are all left on our own, but I'm sure its done and turns out great! :) (unexperianced with Carnival here, but learning)

My DH said our last cruise was the most fun and it was because of this board and the connection party that evolved from it.

Also, DH works hard and while on a cruise he spends alot of time in the cabin with the remote control and t.v. He wants a balcony so he can go out and see whats going on, and a comfortable cabin. I am more then happy to make sure he is getting the accomodations he likes:D

As much as I hate to say this, the thought came to my mind that possibly you are cruising too often. Maybe you should alternate an all-inclusive land vacation with a cruise to make you look more forward to the cruise.We alternate one per year and always look forward to both that way. Each time we cruise on a newer ship and each land vacation is someplace different.

First, accept the fact that there will never be anything like your first cruise.

After that, look forward to all the new people you have available to meet. Look at the activities you passed on from previous cruises, and try them. Might open new experiences.

There's never nothing to do, unless you choose to do nothing.

:)

Hi

. Even seem to be a little more picky about things that on first couple of cruise would go by the way side. How do you keep the fresh outlook that you experience on your first cruise on your latter cruises. .

You don't, it also starts to become less exciting as you eventually start seeing ths same shows,jokes,ect. I have taken 3 land vacations and 2 cruises this year and it now has become something just to do.The ships are now mainly my transportation with meals included.The deal is just too good.

The people you meet are also a major part of the experience.I also try and do major things at each port.That really adds some excitement.On our cruise this past August we took windsurfing lessons and tried night diving.On my upcoming cruise it looks like I am going to dive in the shark tank at the Tampa aquarium,:eek: and try cave tubing in belize.

STeve

I agree with above poster..change it up or do a cruise then another type of vacation. We have a cruise booked for Feb...thefollowing year we will probably do Universal/Disney. The following year I am going to London England for my 40th. MY dh and kids can stay home!

Steve, I agree with you about the same shows and jokes, so we decided to do something different this time. Since we were on the Southern route, we stayed in Port late in San Juan, Aruba, and Barbados. We didn't attend any of the major shows or talks and already had too much to do without them. It was great! On board, we stayed in the Destiny Bar with entertainment, Karoake where the entertainment changes constantly (good and bad), and just hung out with all the folks we met in port at local bars, etc.

. Since we were on the Southern route, we stayed in Port late in San Juan, Aruba, and Barbados. We didn't attend any of the major shows or talks and already had too much to do without them..

Exactly!

I love the Southern route for just that.I wish all ports were midnight departure.The nightlife is great.

I wouldn't mind paying more in port charges if we stayed more at the ports.The drawback to the southern route from my perspective is airfare. From my area it is about $500 per person.To fly to FL, it is about$175 per person.

Steve

It's coming up to my fifth cruise it's getting to be old hat. Would rather stay home post on CruiseCritic.

But if I didn't cruise I wouldn't have anything to post. So I guess I have to keep cruising.

I got Derfette hooked, I got hooked in the USNavy.

repeated too often; overfamiliar through overuse

from

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/old-hat

Done 10 cruises in 35 years over multiple, some now defunct, cruise lines. Found I really prefer cruising and been doing that since 1999.

Best advice I can give and I thinK somewhat in order of priorities:

Change itineraries Alaska, S. carrib, Mex riv, W. carrib, E carrib, Hawaii

Change cruise lines, also NCL western is different from Carnival/Princess/RCI. Food and entertainment choices, ship decor is also very different.

Change embarcation port, since we always must fly and generally add on a day or 3 at the beginning and/or end we see different cities. Done MIA, FLL, Vancouver, Seattle. Looking at Tampa, wish I could afford SJ as I love the S. carrib but the air is impossible out of chicago. Could cruise for another week for the air price.

Book trips about a year apart unless doing something very different like Europe, Alaska or Hawaii. If you want/can afford to travel more then add in other things like a drive trip to historic/interesting places, Disney, NY, Las Vegas or your local resort area in between.

Change travel partners, sometimes family, some friends, some just as a couple

Sure I will think of more later, but thats a decent list for starters.

I agree with many of the posts. I'm on my 7th cruise and for me it's still exciting! I sure having gotten the hum-drum yet. We do a cruise and land vacation every year. For the cruises I change the port we leave from, change the ports we visit and change the ship and the cruise lines. It works!

We mix them up too and it's still as exciting as ever. Different cruiselines, different itineraries really do keep the experience new. We have sailed 13 cruises so far on 7 different cruiselines and have two more already booked for next year. I can think of many more combinations that I'd still like to try. :cool:

Archived