Celebrity Cruise (Nightmare)

MIKES3

A lot of people have previously said shorten your letter - a good idea, BUT I can understand that she has written this letter to vent and help her deal with what has happened - you need to for sanity's sake.

We have just returned from 2 weeks on a celebrity ship, no luggage problems, I just wish i had known that splitting clothes in the luggage was a good idea - a great tip for our next cruise!

Hope you get compensated and sail again - best value holiday ever! (PS i understand your frustration regarding your age - we were a minority on our cruise and occassionally the staff attention was on the majority).

Good luck!

FYI - You are NOT REQUIRED TO GIVE THEM YOUR LUGGAGE. As I've posted before, having had too many 6pm arrivals, I now carry my own on and unpack and change while everyone is praying theirs isn't lost and arrives sometime before midnight. It's no big deal to wheel a couple bags up the ramp, to the elevator and to your cabin. Beats the heck out of no bags or late bags!!
I also was under the impression that carry-on luggage on cruise ships is pretty well limited to the same size restrictions as at airports.

If that is not the case, then what is the largest size suitcase anyone has carried on board a Celebrity cruise ship that fit through the x-ray machine without a problem?

If we can carry on our larger suitcases with no hassle, some of us may be doing just that on future cruises in order to eliminate any suspense wondering whether or not our luggage is going to show up.

I also was under the impression that carry-on luggage on cruise ships is pretty well limited to the same size restrictions as at airports.

If that is not the case, then what is the largest size suitcase anyone has carried on board a Celebrity cruise ship that fit through the x-ray machine without a problem?

If we can carry on our larger suitcases with no hassle, some of us may be doing just that on future cruises in order to eliminate any suspense wondering whether or not our luggage is going to show up.

I carried on my full set, carry on, medium and large bag (all on wheels). Since I know the ships like my own home, I know right where to grab an elevator and get to the cabin quickly...I had no problems with x-ray machine.

Last year, I began doing "carry off" as well, like to be first OFF the ship that icky last morning and go straight through empty customs and taxi.

I've been following this thread for awhile and am happy to finally see a resolution here. Celebrity's offer was very generous and they really responded quickly to the situation. I hope the OP has picked up valuable tips from all the posters who offered advice and will go into his next cruise with a good attitude.

BTW - I should mention, since I had let them take my luggage for sooo many years, and a couple years ago, they broke a brand new $1K piece (they repaired it on board - quite nicely actually)...each cruise despite my Elite status, luggage kept arriving later and later..but I finally called the Captains Club (something I recommend on here often!) for an accurate answer. Don't count on regular customer service, they often give out almost as many answers as these boards do! ;) I told them I couldn't recall anyone ever carrying full baggage, but was sick of waiting and wanted to just wallk on with them, and they said "SURE!, it's your baggage, carry it on - passengers to it all the time", so I do now. And WOW, for me, it was SO MUCH NICER to have all my "stuff" at 1pm and start settling in my cabin, instead of spending hours "popping my head out" the door hoping for bags...that would never show up until dinnertime.

ALSO - once in San Diego (the worst port IMO), I watched my new luggage sit outside in the rain - separate from the rest being put on the ship. Fortunately, my veranda gave me a perfect view and I had those mini binoculars. After all bags were on board...there mine sat...still apart and in the rain. I went down and grabbed the Hotel Director and we both walked off and she made sure the pieces were on board. We very nearly sailed without them.

Last opinion, I happen to think not having your luggage IS a big deal and extremely inconvenient, and yes, it would ruin a cruise for me. End of the world? No. But yes, it would ruin the cruise. I actually plan my wardrobe carefully and can't imagine being left with nothing but my handbag and sweaty dirty traveling clothes.

eandj-

I think you may have missed the point of my post. I'm not asking the cruiseline to babysit me. What I am asking for is just a little bit (teeny tiny) of additional care. When a passenger turns over their bags at the port (as we all are required to do), it is not unreasonable to expect that the bags will make their way to the appropriate stateroom. "Leaving" (woopsie) the bags in port when the ship sails away is inexcusable and that was the scenario reported by the original poster. Celebrity should get slammed for doing something so boneheaded as should any other cruise line.

As for the situation with my son, the kid is 12 and he is naive. Had I known that he left the iPod in his bag I would have made him remove it and put it in his pocket. He didn't tell me about it until it was too late. I noted that the slug was most likely a port staffer and not from the cruise line. Why so defensive? Trust me, Celebrity will be just fine with or without your assistance.

Your son just received a valuable lesson just like OP and his GF to keep their essential with them. I have teenage DD who loves to listen music from her precious iPod every waking moments.:rolleyes: She always keeps it in her pocket during the trip all the time. I put my MP3 player, my medicine, our digital cameras and all important documents in a tote bag and I carried that bag all the time.

Our tote bag was stolen in Anahiem, (outside of Disneyland hotel) many years ago. My new SLR camera with zoom lens, films and all the pictures from DL and Southern Cal are gone. We're on our way to the airport to come home. That was our lesson to carry the tote bag all the time.

tdk, Yes. Valuable lesson learned at a cost of $150.00. Charged to Dad of course. :) My son did have to listen to his chatter box little brother chewing his ear off for the rest of the trip since he didn't have his iPod defense system operational though.

I carry the well worn $30 back pack that goes everywhere on my shoulder with all of the "good stuff" inside. If anyone wants to have a crack at my back pack, I wish them a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about your Disney theft situation. It's a helpless frustrating feeling, no?

eandj-

I think you may have missed the point of my post. I'm not asking the cruiseline to babysit me. What I am asking for is just a little bit (teeny tiny) of additional care. When a passenger turns over their bags at the port (as we all are required to do), it is not unreasonable to expect that the bags will make their way to the appropriate stateroom. "Leaving" (woopsie) the bags in port when the ship sails away is inexcusable and that was the scenario reported by the original poster. Celebrity should get slammed for doing something so boneheaded as should any other cruise line.

As for the situation with my son, the kid is 12 and he is naive. Had I known that he left the iPod in his bag I would have made him remove it and put it in his pocket. He didn't tell me about it until it was too late. I noted that the slug was most likely a port staffer and not from the cruise line. Why so defensive? Trust me, Celebrity will be just fine with or without your assistance.

Think you responded to the wrong poster. Your first paragraph is obviously directed at someone else's post. I just commented on the iPod being left unattended. Check whose post you WANTED to react to, please. Thanks.

Don't understand your post. Celebrity is not a "partier" line. RCCL isn't that much either. nYou'll have to use your credit on one or the other. Don't know what restrictions are on it.

Sorry, I should proof read. Try getting in and out of here while I'm at work. I was already on Celebrity Century. I'd like to try something different. I think most people would. I figured since Royal Carribean bought Celebrity why not try RC, so yes you're right about the credit one of there many ships

I've been following this thread for awhile and am happy to finally see a resolution here. Celebrity's offer was very generous and they really responded quickly to the situation. I hope the OP has picked up valuable tips from all the posters who offered advice and will go into his next cruise with a good attitude.

Good eye, We got a $150 credit. I thought it was per person, but it's not. I'm still happy with the offer they gave us. They didnt have to do that at all. We appreciate it a lot and in return I will spend a lot on drinks like I did on the previous. I like to go all out.

Lots of good advice on here. Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

Also a lot of off topic non sense. Kind of funny to read and read.

Nah, I'll try Century had to many senior citizens. Not enough partiers

Go on a RCL ship...5 or fewer days....spring break time ...and you'll be with the partiers and drinkers, Mike. ;)

You're right....not so much on Celebrity. More refined and service oriented. Especially the Century. Who steered you to that ship cosidering what you are looking for?:rolleyes: I would never have rec that to a young couple looking to party!

Once you decide what you're looking at, head to the cruise ship board and ask away. You can get very helpful and valuable info here. Don't let us scare you away! It's easy to advise BEFORE there's a catastrophe!:) And there's way for us to save you money!

In 2007 on my first cruise (along with my family) to the Mediterranean, the airline lost luggage for my mom, brother, sister in law and nephew. They had airplane problems and had to board another plane, of course... the luggage took awhile to catch up to them. They didn't get their luggage until 4 days into the cruise. This was VERY upsetting for all of us but Celebrity was AMAZING. They gave the t-shirts (not very useful but was nice for sleeping in), free RUSHED laundry service, free tux rental, etc. They were on top of it all and gave us daily (a few times daily) updates and lots of apologies even though it wasn't their fault. They knew no matter who was at fault, the cruise wasn't very enjoyable without the luggage,etc. We feel Celebrity was the best at service and making us feel like they were on top of things.

We had insurance so everyone was able to buy some clothing on board, not bad really as they had some cute things to choose from. We were reimbursed by insurance for everything including all the clothing, hair & makeup products, toiletries, etc. I highly recommend insurance to everyone, especially after seeing what can happen. We learned to to cross pack, make sure to have a few clothes in a carry-on that actually gets carried on the ship. Personally, my makeup isn't out of my hands!

I hope you get some reimbursement and sorry to hear about your experience.

In 2007 on my first cruise (along with my family) to the Mediterranean, the airline lost luggage for my mom, brother, sister in law and nephew. They had airplane problems and had to board another plane, of course... the luggage took awhile to catch up to them. They didn't get their luggage until 4 days into the cruise. This was VERY upsetting for all of us but Celebrity was AMAZING. They gave the t-shirts (not very useful but was nice for sleeping in), free RUSHED laundry service, free tux rental, etc. They were on top of it all and gave us daily (a few times daily) updates and lots of apologies even though it wasn't their fault. They knew no matter who was at fault, the cruise wasn't very enjoyable without the luggage,etc. We feel Celebrity was the best at service and making us feel like they were on top of things.

We had insurance so everyone was able to buy some clothing on board, not bad really as they had some cute things to choose from. We were reimbursed by insurance for everything including all the clothing, hair & makeup products, toiletries, etc. I highly recommend insurance to everyone, especially after seeing what can happen. We learned to to cross pack, make sure to have a few clothes in a carry-on that actually gets carried on the ship. Personally, my makeup isn't out of my hands!

I hope you get some reimbursement and sorry to hear about your experience.

I agree completely regarding insurance. But a question ... was your air travel booked with Celebrity?

I agree completely regarding insurance. But a question ... was your air travel booked with Celebrity?

No, we didn't book our air with Celebrity. Is there an advantage to doing so? My mom makes all the arrangements with her TA but we try to find the best airfare (who doesn't right) possible, so probably won't happen through the cruiselines. Still new to this.

Archived