Celebrity Cruise (Nightmare)

MIKES3

Are you a female or a child?

Because you place limitations on yourself and how you enjoy your vacation, does not mean that the entire gender does. Many women have fought long an hard not to be treated differently yet some of us still think we are entitled to be "special" when it's to our advantage.

As a female, I would have no problem enjoying my cruise with just the items I bring in my carry-on. I also appreciate all the folks giving logical, sound advice.

sorry to get off the original post.

I hope the OP comes back with any news.

Well, as a female, I purchase a new wardrobe and cosmetics for my trips. I don't want to be treated as "special". I just want my stuff. Hey, I have very heavy periods and desperately NEED my 'special' tampons and pads. If complaining that 'living' off the meager offerings that the cruise ship gift store offers marks me as a discontent then so be it. Not all of us females are butch or in menopause. Sorry, but living for 7 days or more without my new wardrobe and other "necessities" marks me as being a 'child' then I guess I'm a child.

Well, you're obviously not a female. I am, and not having my stuff would definitely ruin the cruise for me.

oh, I dunno. I'm a female, and while I would be upset over my luggage not being there, I don't think I would let it ruin my vacation. In fact, we are leaving tomorrow for a cruise and I haven't packed any make up at this point. In the summer I usually don't use much, if only mascara.

But the point is that everyone is different and responds to things differently.

In most cases, folks put a lot of time, effort, money, and anticipation into planning a vacation. Having something unexpected happen can really be a disappointment.

Sorry it happened. I hope you get some sort of reimbursement from the cruise line. I'm doubting that a free cruise will be offered, but with a concise letter detailing the issues and clear statement of your expectation, you may be lucky.

As a 7 time cruiser, all Celebrity, I feel a little foolish or naive even asking this question.

Trip or Travel insurance covers lost luggage? Although I've never gotten it in the past it was my assumption it was only to cover costs associated with a last minute cancellation due to unforseen circumstances.

Sounds like another good bit of education taken from these boards if in fact it does cover lost luggage.

Sorry this happened to you and unfortunately it does sometimes but and I think you deserve some appropriate compensation, but---

"I had to spend over $400 in Key West just in toilettry and basic necessities for her and I."

Certainly a lot more than my wife and I could spend on "basic necessities" to cover for a few days. Further, it is not like these are items you would not have purchased at some point anyway and cannot use at some point. Seems a little excessive to insist on full reimbursement for those items.

I have been witness to several lost, damaged and delayed luggage on Celebrity and even when it was not there fault they have gone over the top for those effected. I think we need to know a little more

Well, as a female, I purchase a new wardrobe and cosmetics for my trips. I don't want to be treated as "special". I just want my stuff. Hey, I have very heavy periods and desperately NEED my 'special' tampons and pads. If complaining that 'living' off the meager offerings that the cruise ship gift store offers marks me as a discontent then so be it. Not all of us females are butch or in menopause. Sorry, but living for 7 days or more without my new wardrobe and other "necessities" marks me as being a 'child' then I guess I'm a child.

Then those needed items (at least a few days supply) should be in your carry on bag along with medication and other items you can't do without.

As other have said it also a good idea to cross pack with your spouse or travel partner if this is possible and/or to have a few days of clothing that can also be used for casual dining. In a pinch they could also be used on a formal night, dressing it up with a scarf, jewelery, etc. since many passengers dress casual that night anyway.

Hey, not having your all of your needs for a cruise is not fun and I've had it happen but do you let it ruin the cruise because of it, especially one that is have planned and budgeted, money and time wise, for a long time ahead

I can't understand why the OP didn't have room service from the dining room delivered to his stateroom and referenced the buffet when there is no evening buffet on Celebrity.
There is food available at different stations in the buffet area of Century at dinner. There are the sushi area, a pasta station, and pizza in addition to other food. Plus Celebrity has the sit-down casual menu option as well.

On our last Med cruise, I was in the gift shop and there was a lady in there who had obviously not received her luggage and was shopping for something to wear on formal night--believe me, I checked it out and there was plenty that you could buy to make do.

The 'letter' makes several references to being young. It sounds like, to me, that they thought they could take advantage of the situation by being a little extreme in their purchase of 'necessities' and are unhappy that those costs are not being reimbursed. If I went all out to buy drugstore items for a 5 day cruise (4 days left at that point) I would be hard pressed to spend even $100, esp. considering that shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and toothbrushes were supplied. Some hair gel and a little makeup would be all I needed. And who told her to buy a bathing suit that was too small? Whose fault is that?

Life is what you make it--you can make things work out, or grouse and complain about how bad they are--it's all in the attitude. I would not have been happy to lose my luggage, but I WOULD have figured out how to have a fun vacation anyway. And I would have eaten in the MDR, even if they had to seat me near the door!!

Cathy

On our last Med cruise, I was in the gift shop and there was a lady in there who had obviously not received her luggage and was shopping for something to wear on formal night--believe me, I checked it out and there was plenty that you could buy to make do.

The 'letter' makes several references to being young. It sounds like, to me, that they thought they could take advantage of the situation by being a little extreme in their purchase of 'necessities' and are unhappy that those costs are not being reimbursed. If I went all out to buy drugstore items for a 5 day cruise (4 days left at that point) I would be hard pressed to spend even $100, esp. considering that shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and toothbrushes were supplied. Some hair gel and a little makeup would be all I needed. And who told her to buy a bathing suit that was too small? Whose fault is that?

Life is what you make it--you can make things work out, or grouse and complain about how bad they are--it's all in the attitude. I would not have been happy to lose my luggage, but I WOULD have figured out how to have a fun vacation anyway. And I would have eaten in the MDR, even if they had to seat me near the door!!

Cathy

right on (re seating in the MDR); had nothing to do with the OP when the luggage was lost...and I don't think having to 'hide' in their room to eat is an answer. When dealt lemons, make lemonade.

I totally agree with you Cathy. The disaster for them is that between the two of them, they couldn't find anything good from the cruise...was it really a disaster? Or did all the energy they put into being unhappy make it a disaster?

In the big picture, I'd still be on the cruise with my dh, making memories. :) If I had to sit at the dining room table with a t-shirt and denim skirt on, so be it. No one would tell you to leave with X being at fault. ( Did they even TRY to have dinner in the dining room? ) A glass of wine with some fabulous food and fun conversation. I wouldn't give up the experience due to a lack of wardrobe. Geez. I pray that these two young people aren't faced with something serious. Wisdom and experience hopefully will come with age.

When they called their parents to report the problem ... Hmm..I wonder if their parents actually might have told them to have fun and move off the drama. I would have hoped so. Then they threatened to never cruise X again...REALLY? :rolleyes:

I would be happy to write the letter to X for them. They need someone to compose a business letter that will accomplish something. Not a "journal" of emotion and needless info. :eek:

This is EXACTLY the sort of F* up where X's shortcomings are on full display. Luggage loss IS exasperating and an indifferent response by the line I find wholly believeable.

My first X cruise suffered a cruiseline boarding F* up that likewise showed off an arrogant, indifferent, and unacceptable performance and attitude by customer rel staff. But... I had a good cruise overall (not a flamboyant 'nightmare') and I cruised X again and had an even better experience; but I'm no X sycophant. If this had occured on a very first cruise, I might say 'I won't cruise X again' - but that would be because I learned that cruiselines deliver impressive ships, great good, and a wonderful travel experience - AND there are a lot of competitors doing the same thing without leaving a bitter aftertaste.

But in total - sorry - lost luggage does NOT = Nightmare. That's an in your head experience, made in your head...

As a 7 time cruiser, all Celebrity, I feel a little foolish or naive even asking this question.

Trip or Travel insurance covers lost luggage? Although I've never gotten it in the past it was my assumption it was only to cover costs associated with a last minute cancellation due to unforseen circumstances.

Sounds like another good bit of education taken from these boards if in fact it does cover lost luggage.

My annual insurance policy covers not only a sum for baggage but also a smaller figure for delayed personal possessions (where they don't turn up for more than 12 hours). With travel insurance you usually get what you pay for so can pay a lower premium if you elect not to have baggage and/or personal money covered.

I would guess that unless you specifically bought a policy that only covers cancellation, MOST policy packages come with delayed luggage reimbursement. Coverage reimbursement would depend on the level of policy you buy. Most are around 250. This isn't for replacement of a lost bag and it's contents. It's specifically for a delayed bag and purchases you need until the bag is located. Some charge cards I think also have it as an added coverage if the trip was charged.

When we departed SJU for Princess (our last cruise), I had a small carry-on shoulder and a matching carry-on roller. They stopped me for the rolling bag. I told him firmly, NO and kept walking. He tried again. I said more firmly NO and kept walking. The last time (almost at the check-in desk) he tried again. Now I'm at the check-in desk. I put my bags down, turned around with all 6'4", 260lbs and said touch it and I'll break your arms.

He smilled, backed away and I checked in with a very nice, if not shocked, young lady.

I have never understood why they FORCE you to check small bags. I've carried the damn thing from home, to airport, on the subway, through security, to a cab, to the port and suddenly they seem to feel I can't handle a few more stairs.

As airlines are charging by the pound and we are adjusting to lighter, smaller bags why can't the cruise lines just let you get on board with what is traditionally a carry-on bag. Seems like they would save a lot of time and trouble handling the bags themselves.

When we departed SJU for Princess (our last cruise), I had a small carry-on shoulder and a matching carry-on roller. They stopped me for the rolling bag. I told him firmly, NO and kept walking. He tried again. I said more firmly NO and kept walking. The last time (almost at the check-in desk) he tried again. Now I'm at the check-in desk. I put my bags down, turned around with all 6'4", 260lbs and said touch it and I'll break your arms.

He smilled, backed away and I checked in with a very nice, if not shocked, young lady.

I have never understood why they FORCE you to check small bags. I've carried the damn thing from home, to airport, on the subway, through security, to a cab, to the port and suddenly they seem to feel I can't handle a few more stairs.

As airlines are charging by the pound and we are adjusting to lighter, smaller bags why can't the cruise lines just let you get on board with what is traditionally a carry-on bag. Seems like they would save a lot of time and trouble handling the bags themselves.

I agree we've done Express Walk off disembarkation with our bags. Why shouldn't we be able to do Express Walk on embarkations. I imagine the bag would have to be small enough to fit through the X-ray security screening machine.

I agree we've done Express Walk off disembarkation with our bags. Why shouldn't we be able to do Express Walk on embarkations. I imagine the bag would have to be small enough to fit through the X-ray security screening machine.

It's a security is to scan for weapons and explosives. If you take them off the ship they don't care. Bringing them on the ship is another story

Details of Celebrity's travel insurance from their website:

Baggage Protection

If your baggage or personal property is lost, stolen, or damaged, the plan will cover up to $1,500. If your bags are delayed or misdirected for more than 24 hours, the plan will reimburse you up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal items.

It is usually a condition of booking (at least it is in the UK) that you must have travel insurance at least equivalent to that offered by the cruise line. In the States do they let you book without providing proof of travel insurance?

Clivep---don't know because we never tried. We always get travel insurance. You just never know what might happen. It sounds like these are two very young people who did not know or understand the dangers of traveling without insurance. Too bad they let it spoil their whole trip.

Next time, I hope they get insurance. And I fault their TA if he did not explain it to them. I suppose he is going to surprise her with a "you-know-what" on the next one. I hope that makes up for this trip.

Several years ago we were on a Panama Canal cruise on the Zenith and one of our tablemates never received his luggage. He came to dinner every night in a pair of kakahis and a Celebrity golf type shirt (which were given to him), even formal nights, no one cared what he had on. They did offer him a tux, but he wasn't into it and looked nice in his less formal wear. They washed his clothes everyday and had them back to him the same day. Celebrity couldn't have been any nicer and accomodating to him. The cruise was for 12 days and he never received his luggage. He got by and enjoyed his cruise, had dinner with us every evening, went to the shows, bars, etc. I really think they could have had dinner in the dining room dressed in the clothes they had. Why would they need to buy shampoo, lotion and conditioner? That's provided to begin with. I am sure they would provide them with the basic necessities, deodorant, toothbrushes and paste, hair brush, etc.

Learned a long time ago: DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!!!!

I'm going on my first cruise next week, and I haven't checked luggage on an airline for 5-6 years (after having 2 different airlines lose my luggage over the course of 3 months).

My question: can I (as in me, myself, in person) take my luggage on board the ship? Or is it a requirement somewhere that a Porter must do it? (although I can't see that in the Celebrity contract).

I want to be on a cruise so bad right now. I don't mean to assume there was nothing enjoyable about the OP's cruise but he sure didn't say so. What about the glorious sunsets, the excitement of each sailaway, the precious time away from work not to mention spending it with the person you plan to marry?

We have been fortunate to have never lost luggage either on a flight or a cruise so maybe I am not understanding enough. However, it sounds like a ridiculous amount of money to spend on toiletries and who buys a bathing suit without trying it on? Don't mean to be judgemental, but when I read something like this I can't help but think these people have never faced any real struggles in life. JMO

Kim

It's a security is to scan for weapons and explosives. If you take them off the ship they don't care. Bringing them on the ship is another story

Also for alcohol, wine, irons, fans and candles according to some poster.

That's what I wrote that the bag would have to be small enough to go through the X-ray security system which are sized for carry on bags like the ones at airport security for passengers. If you tried to bring on a large bag that wouldn't be accommodated by their security screening, you would probably have a problem bringing it on yourself.

Lost baggage is always annoying and can cause extra expenses.....that's what trip insurance is for; those unexpected things that come along.

According to Celebrity's terms and conditions/passenger contract' date=' they are not liable for your luggage....you agreed to this when you booked. You should feel lucky they gave you something because they didn't have to.

Here from their website:

[left']b. Liability for Loss of or Damage to Baggage. Unless negligent, Carrier is neither

responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger’s property, whether

contained in luggage or otherwise. Liability for loss of or damage to Passenger’s

property in connection with any air or ground transportation shall be the sole

responsibility of the provider of the service and in accordance with applicable[/left]

limitations.

Next time you cruise, buy insurance.

You are obviously not a lawyer. Fine print means nothing. Easy to get around all of this jargon. File an inexpensive small claims court action againt Celebrity and it's carriers, agents, and associated companies (just send to Celebrity). In the meantime right a short Offer to Settle Without Prejudice letter to Celebrity and just say that you are willing to settle this matter for such and such amount because of lost luggage and give them a deadline to respond. No need to go into too many details. File complaints with their Resolution Dept. and keep calling. Complain to the Travel Industry regulators.

As far as the fine print: all people say in court is: they aren't a lawyer, they didn't have time to read all the small print, they didn't understand it, they didn't know at the time who was handling their luggage (they relied on Celebrity) and that Celebrity has contracts and pays for the dock services, so they are in essence party to this claim, as the dock and baggage handlers are agents connected to Celebrity in one form or another. And you can argue Celebrity did nothing to assist you. As one respondent mentioned, usually the cruise lines give you free tux rentals, laundry, toothbrushes and amenities that are for sale on the ship right away.

Find other people on the internet with similar complaints against Celebrity. Print them out and send them with your Offer to Settle.

It is time someone stood up against the treatment of some passengers by these mega cruise lines that offer no Customer Service. But if you put a cabin on hold on the internet, you will sure get attention as they will call you day and night and hound you to make the payment and book it. All of their resources go into grabbing your booking, not helping customers later.

Good luck and remember, most people who bash you regarding your complaint on here, are usually working for the cruise line and monitor the sites and bash anyone that doesn't conform to only writing about the giddiness about their upcoming cruise. :)

Archived