Is it time to try Carnival again...Please help!

ssatterly

Ok, Here is whats up.

I currenty have 2 cabins booked on the Navigator for 12/5/09 5 nights going to ocho Rios and Labadee...

I have one Jr Suite total cost for 3 ($2322.34) &

one OV for 3 for ($1572.34)

Thars a total of $3894.68

Now the Carnival Destiny leaving the same day from the same port Miami going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman

I can UPGRADE to a cat 11 for $ 1813.30 which is $509.04 less than my current JR suite

My 2nd cabin which would be a 6A on the Destiny would be $1003.30 Which is $569.04 less than the same cabin on the Navigator.

For a total diffrence of $1078.04 LESS.

Now I have been Loyal to Royal for a while...After all I am now Platium. Yes I have been on Carnival but way back in the 1990's It wasn't great back then but I did enjoy myself...And bacn then it was on the smaller older ships.....So

For that big a diffrence is it time to try Carnival again?

I am not sure what to do.....

Please help.

I've been on 3 CCL cruises and have no complaints. We are pretty simple people and not too hard to please. Everything was good - food, staff, shows - we had a ball. You would have enough $ left for another cruise! That's the way I would go. Have fun whatever you decide.

My first Carnival experience was in the very early 90's. I thought it was horrid. My kids talked me into going again, since they were bored to death on Celebrity. I'm glad they did. I'm now up to 20 on Carnival. Huge difference from the early 90's. I think it's GREAT now.

Have been on both RCI (EOS) and 5 CCL ships... We enjoy both...!:)

I lean toward Ocho Rios and Labadee, vs Ocho and GC.. (Personal opinion only), unless you have never been there..:p

Sting Ray City, in Grand Cayman, is a must see at least once.. We have been there twice.. WONDERFUL experience..:D

If you have JS 1100, don't switch!!!:eek: My favorite cabin of all time, tho' we have Cat 11 - 7298 aft wrap booked on the Legend!!

We shall see..:rolleyes:

Seriously, if you haven't tried Carnival, you'll never know what you are missing, and saving $$$ is right on top of my list of favorite things..:cool:

Have been on both RCI (EOS) and 5 CCL ships... We enjoy both...!:)

I lean toward Ocho Rios and Labadee, vs Ocho and GC.. (Personal opinion only), unless you have never been there..:p

Sting Ray City, in Grand Cayman, is a must see at least once.. We have been there twice.. WONDERFUL experience..:D

If you have JS 1100, don't switch!!!:eek: My favorite cabin of all time, tho' we have Cat 11 - 7298 aft wrap booked on the Legend!!

We shall see..:rolleyes:

Seriously, if you haven't tried Carnival, you'll never know what you are missing, and saving $$$ is right on top of my list of favorite things..:cool:

No I don't have JR suite 1100 but we do have the center hump cabin on deck 9

No I don't have JR suite 1100 but we do have the center hump cabin on deck 9
Nice cabin! :p What is the #..?

JR's are really nice on RCI... a tad more room, I believe, than a 'side' Cat 11 on CCL... (Don't quote me on that)..:rolleyes:

We really enjoyed the 'laid back' atmosphere of Labadee.. :)

Ok, Here is whats up.

I currenty have 2 cabins booked on the Navigator for 12/5/09 5 nights going to ocho Rios and Labadee...

Now the Carnival Destiny leaving the same day from the same port Miami going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman

I can UPGRADE to a cat 11 for $ 1813.30 which is $509.04 less than my current JR suite

My 2nd cabin which would be a 6A on the Destiny would be $1003.30 Which is $569.04 less than the same cabin on the Navigator.

Now I have been Loyal to Royal for a while...After all I am now Platium. Yes I have been on Carnival but way back in the 1990's It wasn't great back then but I did enjoy myself...And bacn then it was on the smaller older ships.....So

Please help.

My parents have been cruising for more than 25 years....every cruiseline except CCL.....2 years ago, we took my parents on an anniversary cruise (15 of us)....all past CCL cruisers.......my parents were apprehensive, having 'heard' things..........but loved it.......from the mment they arrived at the pier in NY to the moment we arrived back in NY 5 days later.....

They found it friendly, staff attentive, good food and large well kept cabins.....

Those are pretty good prices for both cruiselines for 6 people for those categories. If you break it down...it comes out to be about $180 p/p difference....not a big difference unless of course you are footing the whole bill.....

Plus if you have to fly the extra money will come in handy........

Can't go wrong with Carnival IMO........

Good luck!

I have to edit that I didn't realize the Carnival ship you were comparing to was Destiny........please do some research and read the reviews....

And you will never be charged for a steak on the Destiny. ;)

:(

And you will never be charged for a steak on the Destiny. ;)

:(

RCCL does not charge extra for steaks........they do give you an option to purchase a better grade steak.......as Carnival does not give you an option..........

my opinion...loved the Navigator!! Glory was nice but not as nice. Layout on Glory is wierd. Food/service equal. I liked the ice skating/rock climbing wall on Navigator. Less to do on Carnival. Depends on what is important to you. If you are going for food/relaxing/pools/ports then save money and go on Glory. If you like that high class/brass/wood more activites on board go on Navigator. I would probably only go with RCI from now on for a special occasion because of the cost difference,

Ok, Here is whats up.

Please help.

We are also RCI Platium but we are going Carnival Spirit for our Alaska cruise in May. The big difference in price made our decision. Also, we have been on 3 previous Carnival ships and enjoyed them all. In fact, the food was alot better on those Carnival cruises than all but one on RCI (Jewel of the Seas). If all ships were like the Jewel, we could not ask for a better one. For that big price difference, I would go with Carnival. We have been to Labadee and was not that impressed. Not much to do there unless you like to sit on the beach. Just my opinion. Also, been to Grand Cayman, a beautiful port, you will enjoy.

Now, anyone want to give me advise about the Carnival Spirit, I would love to hear it. Know DH will love those 24 hour ice cream machines and we have a deck 4 aft balcony. Did we choose the right one for Alaska?

RCCL does not charge extra for steaks........they do give you an option to purchase a better grade steak.......as Carnival does not give you an option..........

Unless you choose to eat at the supper club, where I ate one of the best steaks in my life.

With that big a price difference I would choose Carnival in a heartbeat. I've been on 2 RCI cruises. And, personally the biggest difference is decor. I don't mind the decor of Carnival and I like the food on Carnival better. So, I go with Carnival.

BTW, I think I may have been on the same cruise as you for Liberty of the Seas. Were you on the 3rd sailing? The one that left port very late due to Noro?

K,

I find Carnival's dining room steaks all but equal to Chops steaks and superior to RCL's dining room steaks which I find terrible. None are all that good but RCL regular dining room steaks [all RCL beef in fact] are just awful. ONLY beef on either line, many other items are quite good on both lines.

And I'd say Carnival's supper club steaks are equal or SUPERIOR to any steak on the oceans. And superior to most restaurants on land. They are bested only by the most top line Steakhouses! Chops would finish a distant 200th. or worse.:D

Dan

K,

I find Carnival's dining room steaks all but equal to Chops steaks and superior to RCL's dining room steaks which I find terrible. None are all that good but RCL regular dining room steaks [all RCL beef in fact] are just awful. ONLY beef on either line, many other items are quite good on both lines.

And I'd say Carnival's supper club steaks are equal or SUPERIOR to any steak on the oceans. And superior to most restaurants on land. They are bested only by the most top line Steakhouses! Chops would finish a distant 200th. or worse.:D

Dan

Soooo subjective;)

Nice cabin! :p What is the #..?

JR's are really nice on RCI... a tad more room, I believe, than a 'side' Cat 11 on CCL... (Don't quote me on that)..:rolleyes:

We really enjoyed the 'laid back' atmosphere of Labadee.. :)

9316 I think with out looking it up.

Those are pretty good prices for both cruiselines for 6 people for those categories. If you break it down...it comes out to be about $180 p/p difference....not a big difference unless of course you are footing the whole bill.....

Plus if you have to fly the extra money will come in handy........

Can't go wrong with Carnival IMO........

Good luck!

I have to edit that I didn't realize the Carnival ship you were comparing to was Destiny........please do some research and read the reviews....

Yes i am paying the whole Bill.

With that big a price difference I would choose Carnival in a heartbeat. I've been on 2 RCI cruises. And, personally the biggest difference is decor. I don't mind the decor of Carnival and I like the food on Carnival better. So, I go with Carnival.

BTW, I think I may have been on the same cruise as you for Liberty of the Seas. Were you on the 3rd sailing? The one that left port very late due to Noro?

Yes that is the one I was on!!!!

Yes that is the one I was on!!!!

I am in the same situation as you, we are going to take our family on a cruise in June. Was looking at the enchantment of the seas and the destiny. We are leaning towards the destiny because of price. The last time we were on Carnival they only had the Fantasy class. There is a over a $600 savings between the two for the same ports. We are Platinum members of RCL as well, and the decision was made to go with Destiny was because the standard cabins are larger, they allow 2 year olds in the kids club Royal does not without a adult being present and price. This will be our daughter and grandkids first cruise and at looking at the Destiny it certainly has a wow effect. I would of had a harder time if it were between the NOS and Destiny because the NOS is one of our favorite ships. Good luck on which ever you choose.

For that price I would definately go back to CCL. We have been on Destiny twice and no real problems to speak of. Did have some poor service in dinning room on last trip, but previous trip the service was good. Whatever you decide, have a great time.:D

Archived